Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stone Enjoy By IPA | Stone Brewing

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA
4.42/5
Outstanding
Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Added by nrs207 on 08-21-2012

#202
4.4

Ratings: 10,832 |  Reviews: 1,512
3.66/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This poured very nicely, with good head retention, and a nice coppery color. from there I got a floral hop aroma and some caramel notes. Flavor was fine. Standard high-hopped American IPA. This was an OK beer for me, but I'm not sure what the fuss is. I wonder if some of the oooh and ahhh might be because in general Stone makes great beer. This is not a great beer. It's a good beer, in the current tradition of "more hops = better beer." I went from this one to a Bear Republic Racer 5, which I love.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy by 11-09-12
Bomber

I have very little to say about this beer except that it was nothing special. Average beer at most and that I have plenty of better options available year round.

A- pours a murky golden color with a thin head with almost no lacing.

S-musty? Pine and resin. Pineapple and gasoline. A mix of things that do not mix well together.

T-complete pine and resin simcoe bomb. I can't taste anything else.

M-for what it's worth this is a smooth beer. Easy going down, creamy and drinkable.

O-I am glad to have tried this but I guess I was expecting something a little better. The flavor was just nothing unique. If you are going to give a beer so much hype and it's own website it needs to deliver something unique. This reminded me of a slightly more piney weyerbacher double simcoe.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy by 9-13-13 is pretty good. Highly recommended. Get yor hands on it.

A. Clear amber. Nice foamy head with decent lacing.

S. Very piney and hoppy but nice.

T. Like the aroma but stronger. Very very piney. Super fresh beer. The after taste isn't very strong like some IPAs.

M. Very easy. Doesn't coat the palette and is not thick at all. Very smooth beer and goes down very easily.

O. I will enjoy getting more Enjoy Bys in the future. Great job Stone.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Overrated. Similar to all their other hoppy offerings, but always fresh.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

This had a surprisingly light body, which is really not what I wanted or expected from this. This was the first enjoy by that I have ever had, and maybe it's due to high expectations, but this beer fell short for me. Honestly I had this with another beer because I was like "Really? This is it?" and wanted to compare to something I've had multiple times before. After thinking about it though, I realized I just didn't like this much. It looks great, and smells even better, but the taste and mouthfeel were really lacking for me. I ended up pouring out probably 4-6 ounces of it.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.68/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Stone pairing glass (short-stemmed goblet)

Pours a deep gold with amber hues topped with a two finger bright white head. Significant splotchy lacing as the head recedes. Notes of tropical fruit on the nose, especially pineapple and mango and flora. Pineapple is the dominant flavor throughout with accents of papaya with a fairly sweet hefty malt presence. Finishes sweet with grapefruit rind bitterness. Heavy malt backbone, medium carbonation and silky, smooth on the palate. A solid DIPA from Stone, but certainly not heads or tails above others, and tends to be more of the same and is a bit overly sweet. Personally, I prefer a finish that is a bit drier, and the finish on this brew is about as sweet and fruity as one can find, with the usual grapefruit rind bitterness. Frankly this brew is a bit unbalanced, and those that prefer sweeter characteristics in their DIPA's will certainly be all over this one.

3.68/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.69/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4 oz pour, small tulip, Best By 10/31/17.

Clear golden rod with a small off white head.

Full and juicy nose with tangerine, kiwi, yuzu.

Orange and tangerine, juicy, resinous, and closes out with medium bitterness. It's on the dry side and the alcohol is well hidden.

Drying with soft carbonation.

It isn't as intensely hoppy as promised. It's a good double IPA that avoids being sweet or boozy.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

07.04.15 version - typical average tasting Stone DIPA

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy By 07.04.14

My first enjoy by beer from Stone.

Beer pours a brilliantly clear amber with a full, frothy inch and a half of ecru colored foam. Beautiful sticky lacing as I empty my glass.

The scent is absolutely fresh. Smells like sniffing a fresh bag of hops from hop union on brew day. Hops consist of pine, grapefruit and a wonderful dank earthiness. Very hop forward in the nose.

The taste begins with a smooth citrus flavor and fades towards a caramel sweetness. Any sweetness is brief and gives way to a very bitter citrus finish. The taste lacks the layers of complexity found in the nose.

The beer is medium bodied and an appropriate level of carbonation. The high level of alcohol is well hidden.

Overall an enjoyable beer. I think I enjoy the concept and push for fresh beer more than the beer itself. That said, it is very good, yet not something I would hord or seek out.

3.7/5  rDev -16.3%

12 oz bottle, 420 enjoy by. Not as good as previous enjoy by's. Lacking a little in taste and a bit boozier than I remember. Still, a very good beer.

3.7/5  rDev -16.3%

I picked up a bottle of Stone's Enjoy By IPA a couple days ago for $7.99 at The Lager Mill. I've never had any beers from the Enjoy By series and this is the first one that I've seen on the shelfs, so I thought I should give it a try, lets see how it goes. Best by 2/14/14. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label look nice, it's simple and straight to the point, I think it's a little eye catching with the best by date being the main feature on the label. It poured a fairly hazy golden color that was slightly orange and it took on more of a darker gold and orange color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sticky rings of lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up with a little bit of piney hops coming through with the citrus and fruity hop aromas seeming to stick out the most imparting a real nice citrus and tropical fruit aromas with some nice peach aromas showing up. Up next comes a medium amount of onion and garlic hops that make for and interesting combination when mixed with the fruity hops. Towards the end I get a real light bready and grainy aroma. The aroma was ok, but I wish the onion and garlic like hops didn't show up as much as they did.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that bordered on being highly sweet and it's followed by the hops being the first to show up but this time it's a mixture of the fruity hops and the onion and garlicy hops sticking out which makes for an unusual flavor. There's a real light amount of malts that impart a slight grainy flavor. On the finish there;s a lower amount of high bitterness that doesn't really linger that long and there's a hoppy aftertaste with the onion and garlic like hops coming through. This was an ok tasting beer, but I thought it had the same problem as the aroma with the onion and garlic hops sticking out too much.

M- Fairly smooth, a little crisp, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I I didn't think it was the best example of a DIPA, it was going the right direction with some nice fruity hops, but then the onion and garlic comes through and it really muddles the flavors and it leaves me a little confused. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little crisp and not too filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and half the bottle was enough for me, I don't really feel like drinking another glass mainly because of that onion and garlic flavor. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, they were both pretty good and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the onion and garlic hop aspect, it really held this beer back from being as good as it could be. I wouldn't get any more of this particular beer, but I wouldn't rule out trying the next one that makes it's way to Michigan. I wouldn't recommend this beer unless you love onion and garlic like hops. All in all I was fairly disappointed with this beer, I had heard that this was a pretty good DIPA and that it was more than marketing hype, but it didn't live up to my expectations mainly because it highlighted my least favorite hop profile. There are many other DIPA's that I would much rather have. Better luck next time guys, this beer just wasn't for me.

Edit 2015, over a year later I got to try Enjoy by 4/20/15, this is much better than the first Enjoy by I had, while it still has some green onion aspects to it, the fruity hops stick out the most and I enjoy it. I bumped up the score to reflect this batch, while still keeping other batch in mind.

3.7/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy By 10.31.15 bottled on 9.26.15 and consumed on 10.01.15

Look: Amber color, quite clear, with a inch or so of foam that dissipated rather quickly leaving lacing. 4.25

Smell: Hoppy, with a very slight fruity aroma, followed by a pungent smell that is a little less than appealing. 3.5

Taste: The taste starts with heavy hops, then shift to an earthy grassy flavor immediately. The resin taste then comes into play alongside lemon, with a very very slight citrus note that can be easily missed as the hops begin to dominate the aftertaste. Overall very grassy and a bitterness that tastes slightly burnt. 3.5

Feel: Some carbonation but not too much, goes down smooth and has a good body. 4.5

Overall: I was expecting it to be better, not into the heavy grass lemon mix. 3.75

3.7/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, golden color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Good retention and slight lacing. Smells of citrus hops, floral hops, sweet malt, and slight alcohol. Fits the style of an American IPA. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of citrus hops, hops oils, slight floral hops, slight sweet malt, slight alcohol, hint of earthy malt, and a hint of grass. Overall, decent appearance, good aroma, good body, and decent complexity.

3.71/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Although being the same beer everytime (just new batches) just like evrything else at Stone, its consistent. I enjoyed the Hoppiness without the distraction of so much bitterness, which was a bit wierd for a stone beer. I was expecting a booze bomb but its actually very balanced. A very smooth 9.4% abv.

3.71/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

1624th Review on BA
Bottle to Parra Tulip
22oz

Enjoy by 12.21.12
Purchased from Party House Liquor, Chino Hills, CA

App- This was a very nice deep and bursting orange. The density was fairly light and had a bit of darker edges to it. You could say it was turning into an amber around the edges with some yellows smattered in. The head was a wonderful 2-1/2 finger dense and compact white. Huge amounts of lace and stick. Would say its up there with best I've seen.

Smell- There was a good amount of deep citrus in the glass with the aromas coming up with a bit of sweet creme, oranges, pine, resin and a backing malty note that was well integrated and not overpowering.

Taste- Well I read the forum about the flavors you never got and said Ive never gotten that garlic thing, well I do know. This was flavorful but the hops used in combination with certain malts gave me a good duality of flavors. Rich citrus and dense at times but creeping in was a light garlic and scallion flavor. Was a bit off to me, but the rest of the beer was pretty good to balance it out.

Mouth- This was a fairly dense medium body with a good amount of carbonation behind it. The residual flavors on this were the deep citrus and the garlic and onion flavors.

Drink- A tasty beer, but no where near what I was thinking. It was semi balanced and flavorful, but I thought this would be a 10th and 16th killer. The garlic and scallion just didnt work for me.

3.71/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Copper brown tone, clear filtered, a little large bubbled carbonation, a finger of creamy off white head that fades relatively fast.

S: Tropical fruits, mango, passion fruit, light cleaning alcohol, tea leaves, a hint of malt an offal.

T: Fruity in a tropical fruit concoction sort of way, citrus, floral perfume like purple lilac, wild grape, clean linen, light almost tea like bitterness on the end. Really covers the alcohol and is light in its feel.

M: Medium body with lots of light foamy carbonation, leaving a slightly powdery resinous finish.

O: Bought this today at Trader Joe’s near Williamsburg, VA. Drank tonight near Raleigh, NC. Certainly fresh. Not the best double IPA I’ve had, but good in it's mouth feel, very much hiding the alcohol. Good and fresh, and unique carbonation for this style.

3.72/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy by 07/04/15
A bit too sweet and syrupy for my taste. Booze is very very well hidden per usual with the enjoy by series.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing