Stone Enjoy By IPA | Stone Brewing

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Added by nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Reviews: 1,445 | Ratings: 10,568
4.39/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

7/4/14 bottle

A - Light gold, inch of froth, fizzy

S - Strong, piny, aggressive, very fresh

T - Like being in a forest, lemon/lime/bitter citrus, hops hops and more hops

M - Medium bodied due to carbonation

O - This is a very fresh, very aggressive, hoppy beer. Great beer if low on energy as it will definitely wake up your senses.

4.09/5  rDev -6.8%

A - A golden, strawlike hazy pour with a nice cotton top. Sticks to the glass all the way down and creates some nice lacing.

S - Sugar cane plus hops and some faint booze. Really nice sweet nectar.

T - Very piney with a sweet sugary hop-like backbone.

M - Nice and tangy and pleasing.

O - Solid as always from Stone.

3.72/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Copper brown tone, clear filtered, a little large bubbled carbonation, a finger of creamy off white head that fades relatively fast.

S: Tropical fruits, mango, passion fruit, light cleaning alcohol, tea leaves, a hint of malt an offal.

T: Fruity in a tropical fruit concoction sort of way, citrus, floral perfume like purple lilac, wild grape, clean linen, light almost tea like bitterness on the end. Really covers the alcohol and is light in its feel.

M: Medium body with lots of light foamy carbonation, leaving a slightly powdery resinous finish.

O: Bought this today at Trader Joe’s near Williamsburg, VA. Drank tonight near Raleigh, NC. Certainly fresh. Not the best double IPA I’ve had, but good in it's mouth feel, very much hiding the alcohol. Good and fresh, and unique carbonation for this style.

4.9/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

For my taste buds, this is a perfect DIPA and probably one of my favorites of all time. Super fresh and hoppy, very citrus forward, masks alcohol surprisingly (dangerously) well, very smooth. Importantly, no maltiness / sweetness which is sometimes a drawback of this style for my taste. If you're looking for a fresh, hoppy, big west coast IPA I don't think you'll be disappointed with this one.

4.45/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love Stones' 'Enjoy By' beers. I had one the other day and they are so fresh. I've had from the growler at the brewery and It was the FRESHEST IPA I've ever tasted. I live about 50 miles from the brewery so even the bottles are fresh beers. I highly recommend picking up any enjoy by IPA's that you see.

Cheers!

4.56/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Saw this at Costco thought I'd give it a try. Off the top of my head I don't think I have ever been disappointed by any of Stone's Brewing beers...

I'll keep this brief. A couple days ago had an 07.04.14...first thing i noticed was the (fantastic) sweet citrus smell. then I tried a taste...simply outstanding.

4.02/5  rDev -8.4%

Never had enjoy by until today 07 04 14. Impressed with the complexity of this beer. Will definitely seek this out again. Haven't tried in a bomber yet but on tap its amazing. Thank you Stone for all that you do and please continue to do it. peace out homies

4.57/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

One of my all time favorite Double IPAs! The first batch I bought was 04.20.14 and I absolutely loved it. Currently, I am drinking the 07.04.14 for this review. It pours wonderfully with a light bronze color and thick foamy head. My first inhale hit me with a dank citrus, pine scent with undertones of an earthy, fruity base. The beer itself is smooth and round with a crisp bite of citrus. Its fresh, bold and I love it!

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What can I say, Enjoy by .... lives up to the hype/rating.

I've had a few 4.20.14's and a few 7.04.14's.

These are indeed world-class ales! You can tell just by the lacing that this is something special.

9.4% ABV. <--- That can't be right! I want to drink this all day- dammit!

I would have given it 5/5 for every category, but I'm not sure that my palate is refined enough to qualify me to do so.

So refreshing!
So tasty!
Devastatingly dank!!!

This is one of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production.

4.42/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another winner from Stone. I poured this one (22 oz bottle) into a wine glass and let it warm to bring out the flavors. While I enjoy other IIPAs a bit more (e.g., Hopslam and Hoptimum) you simply cannot go wrong with this one as this one is rock solid. I will certainly be picking up another one in the next couple of days.

4.65/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Living by one of Stone's tap houses makes for very fresh Stone. The pour was crystal clear with a nice 1 inch head. Lacing was awesome as it stuck to the beer glass all the way down. Has a distinct piney flavor and scent. Overall an excellent brew, I drink it every time it's available.

4.13/5  rDev -5.9%

How do you even rate this beer? It continuously changes, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse.

Pours a nice yellow beer. Nice head, tall and foamy. Smell varies depending on release, but mostly strong and hoppy. Taste is the same, bitter, strong, hoppy. Mouth feel is good, light beer. I can drink a few of these.

3.69/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy By 07.04.14

My first enjoy by beer from Stone.

Beer pours a brilliantly clear amber with a full, frothy inch and a half of ecru colored foam. Beautiful sticky lacing as I empty my glass.

The scent is absolutely fresh. Smells like sniffing a fresh bag of hops from hop union on brew day. Hops consist of pine, grapefruit and a wonderful dank earthiness. Very hop forward in the nose.

The taste begins with a smooth citrus flavor and fades towards a caramel sweetness. Any sweetness is brief and gives way to a very bitter citrus finish. The taste lacks the layers of complexity found in the nose.

The beer is medium bodied and an appropriate level of carbonation. The high level of alcohol is well hidden.

Overall an enjoyable beer. I think I enjoy the concept and push for fresh beer more than the beer itself. That said, it is very good, yet not something I would hord or seek out.

4.29/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bomber/On tap (07.04.14) at Mad Mex (different dates)

Appearance: Orange golden color with a frothy one finger light beige head. Phenomenal lacing

Smell: Bright tropical fruits, light citrus, pine, slight onion; Very dank. My nose picked up the aromas from an arms length away and my brothers from across the table! The most aromatic IPA I've ever smelled

Taste: Once again, super dank. The tropical fruits hit you upfront, then comes the hop resin, pine, and light citrus.. along with a undertone of malt sweetness that balances it all out that fades into a pleasant aftertaste that lingers

Mouthfeel: Medium body; Smooth yet enough bitterness that lets you know its an IPA. Goes down extremely well for a beer pushing 10% abv

Overall: I have yet to try PtE, the "big" three Vermont beers, or some other highly rated IPAs/IIPAs, but this is certainly the best representation of the style I've had thus far. I had both the bomber and tap and although both were amazing, it was even that much better on tap. Stone beers tend to be past their prime by the time they get to my area, where the hops fade, leaving a malt and onion mess. But with this, I know each batch will be fresh. At just over a week since bottling, this is one of the freshest bottles I've ever had, and it shows. Enormous vibrant hop presence that I enjoy in an IPA without being too aggressive. We have a real winner here! Worth the $9 (with tax) price tag for a guaranteed fresh bomber of this quality brew. Can't recommend this one enough, and absolutely worth the hype. Enjoy!

Edit: The recent batches iv tried seem to have more of that oniony taste and less tropical fruit. There's so many great DIPAs on the market now that i dont necessarily think this is the best anymore. Still great nonetheless

2.44/5  rDev -44.4%

Enjoy by 7-04-14 tasted on 6-7-14. So very fresh.
I really hate the smell. Smells like gruyere crust to me. I have had the same problem with several stone beers. Since so many love their beers I think that it is simply some kind of reaction with my palate. I don't get the fruity smell lots talk about. The taste is no as bad, but still taste like gruyere to me.
I had the same problem with the go to IPA (not as much though), ruination (more than with the "go to ipa"), the Gotterdammerung.
Must be something wrong with my palate (some reaction to the type of hops they use), so don't judge the beer by my review.

4.98/5  rDev +13.4%

Enjoy By 07.04.14 (Bottled on 05.30.14 and consumed on 6.21.14) into a 16oz Libbey Munique elongated tulip glass.

A- Poured an ever-so-slight hazy golden with a solid 1+ finger worth of a creamy, white head...as it is consumed, the lacing is really attractive. (5.0)

S- A commingling of sweet citrus (tangerine, ruby red grapefruit) and stone/tropical fruit (apricot, mango, papaya) along with a dank and piney 'herbaciousness' all bounce from the glass...the balance of all those elements are what makes this such a classic. (5.0)

T- Sweet malt hits first followed by healthy dose of tropical fruits found in the nose. The finish is a dual assault of citrus rind followed by an undercurrent of a resiny pine quality...classic Stone finish. (4.75)

M- Carbonation is just enough to create a nice head and open the palate to get those flavors to infiltrate the palate to create an exceptional experience. (4.75)

O- Kudos to Stone delivering this beer into the market as distant as VT within 1 week of its bottling. That is an immense testament to their commitment, enthusiasm and influence in the market to prove their point. I have now tasted various iterations of this beer at 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months and post 90 days...although it is a delicious offering at any time, I am now a convert of enjoying this as fresh as possible since the tropical fruit notes sing the loudest and blend the best with the herbal notes. Time will accentuate the garlic/onion qualities that are only muted as a young beer. (5.0)

4.65/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle date enjoy 7.04. I have to say I always look forward to these offerings because they are different everytime and I am rarely disappointed.

A: nice resinated foam legs for days. Otherwise a clear amber gold much like the insect from Jurassic park. Good retention in carbonation.

S: peaches galore much different this time around. No spiciness which is good and bad depending what you are into. Nice citrus profile. I want this in an air freshener.

T: Once again those peaches with lingering pineapple at the end. Almost tart. This enjoy by is much different than the others. Oddly remind me of Le terrior in a good way. Nice woody character. Resinated finish without powerful hop burn.

M: holds real well considering the alcohol content. Again this is a different batch. Clean. Easy drinking. A great beer to advance someone who kind of likes ipas.

Overall: bravo stone. I always look forward to these. At first I thought this beer was lacking to its predecessors but as it opened up it became a clean citrus bomb.

Bought a six pack of 5.16.14 Enjoy by IPA from a local Bevmo and made a beeline home to crack them open.

Look: An absolutely beautiful beer, the color is 24k liquid gold with a crystal clear, glimmering clarity and thick, creamy white head that leaves an afterparty of white confetti lacing down the sides of the glass.

Smell: It's an IPA! Aromas of crackers, toasted corn, and sweet malt desperately try to escape the delightfully oppressive superpower bouquet of grapefruit, pine, and cannabis. Truly one of the best IPAs I've had the pleasure of holding to this nose.

Taste: Sweet baby jesus, this was an amazing IPA. This beer is definitely best for the hop lovers out there as it is less than gentle with the hop bitterness (according to the girlfriend) though it still manages to be extremely balanced and drinkable. This bottle is Christmas in Hawaii in beer form. Tastes like a tropical Christmas tree with the usual DIPA citrus-pine smell characterized by grapefruit and tropical fruits.

Mouthfeel: Great carbonation, huge body, lengthy finish, what else do you want me to say? It feels as good as it tastes, and it tastes great. It manages to be creamy and refreshing at the same time.

Overall: How have I never had this beer before? I'm a hop head that lives walking distance from Stone Brewery and am ashamed to say I skipped over this beer for almost a year before finally deciding to try a bottle. This is without a doubt the best double IPA I've had and is sure to please any that consider themselves hop heads. STOP READING AND GO GET SOME

4.4/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy by 02.14.14 by Stone

Tasted on 2/14/14, a perfect Valentine!

Color- cloudy honey gold. Medium but thick head.

Aroma- hops, hops, and more hops; hints of evergreen bushes and fresh cut grass.

Taste- A hoppy and complicated brew. Starts with a raw hoppiness that isn't citrus or evergreen, it's more like a raw, bitter weed from the field. Then transitions to a mild buttery mid body. Finishes with a long, lingering pungent hoppiness. Very different from other offerings by Stone. The high ABV is fairly well masked. An excellent imperial IPA.

Poured from 650 ml bomber into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass),

4.71/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer appears golden and cloudy. I can barely see my hand on the other side of the glass. The head is white and dissipates into a light ring around the edges as you consume the beer. Lacing is minimal. It has a strong smell of sweet tropical fruit. The smell supports the taste. Fruity, piney, hoppy, and sweetness all rolled into a complex, superior taste. The mouthfeel is also top of the line.

Overall this beer is extremely enjoyable. I grew up drinking Stone, growing up only a few miles away. I even have a picture on their website from their 2nd anniversary party. This beer is up there with PtE, Nelson, HT, and Abrasive. This is an excellent beer.

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap.

Appearance - Golden orange hue.

Smell - Dank, pine and citrus.

Taste - Dank, pine and citrus. Delicious.

Mouthfeel - Very drinkable. Perfect carbonation.

Overall - Highly recommend

Grade (A-)

4.91/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely delicious. I don't believe that an overall "perfect" beer exists. But this is pretty close. Holds up to the Pliny the Elder everyone is so high on. In my opinion I'd take Enjoy By over the Pliny any day. The fact that it's dated makes it easy to know you're getting a freshly made batch. If you haven't tried Enjoy By you're missing out.

4.06/5  rDev -7.5%

Enjoy By 05.16.14, thanks very much to Rohan for bringing back for me.

Big pine when I crack the bottle, pawpaw, bit of rubber, general tropical smells. There's also a strong spice contingent to this- Thai curry spices. Also notably floral. Over time these meld together deliciously over a nectarine malt backdrop. Candied/stewed fruits. Alcohol at times. Slight corny note.

Taste is a well-poised balance of malt and tropical fruits, and more of those spices and nectarine. Still a fairly harsh finish at times- hops and alcohol are kinda present.

Good tropical mouthfeel featuring malt, and a bit of booze.

Also tried this same batch 2 weeks and 2 days ago. I remember the hopping being harsher (duh). It's mellowed out with the extra few weeks and the hops and malt are more integrated. Ideally I would have had this earlier but it's also been interesting to compare a two week vs month old DIPA. I definitely feel it's changed a bit even in such a short timeframe, but it's pretty hard to judge objectively.

At times the aromatics are great, but its ABV is in what can be a danger zone for DIPAs. A big, bold, spicy and aromatic beer, whose ABV could easily sneak up on you.

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Enjoy by 4-20-14

Pour: Bright golden yellow-ish orange. Beautiful fluffy head, looks AMAZING.

Aroma: Dank pine, tropical, onion/garlic, ripe grapefruit, crackery malt, cannabis, citrus, absolutely everything I want in a double IPA.

Taste: Big fresh hoppy bitterness in typical Stone fashion. Huge grapefruit, lemon, onion/garlic dankness, slight tropical, underlying sweetness. Just an AMAZING DIPA.

Mouth feel: Not too little, not too much. Just Right.

Overall: This pretty much sets the bar for what a fresh DIPA should be. If you love DIPA's and haven't had this then go find one, now! Indescribably beautiful liquid art.

4.32/5  rDev -1.6%

Enjoy by 05.16.14: made it with 2 weeks or so to spare. 22oz bomber purchased from Ales Unlimited in San Francisco.

Beautifully clear pale golden colour, with a very fine, sticky and white head that subsides in streaky lacing. Body is fine and sleek, holding plenty of static fine carbonation at its swirled. Big and bold.

Yeah, the nose is big. This is the point of that date blasted on the label. This is fresh, bright and hectic: big pine and herbal characters, crushed and pressed into aromatic bliss. "Devastatingly dank", it says as well, and there's certainly a dank organic character to it, giving a funky overhopped mass. Impressive stuff—just what you expect from a super-fresh Stone beer.

Taste is also superb. Clean, bright and fresh, with a solid smooth malt underpinning that never gets in the way. The bite comes in the back, with a firm bitterness gilded and caressed by a smoothness from the malt and the slightly higher ABV. Aniseed and piquant herbal notes complete the picture on the back, coming through move strongly as the beer warms slightly. It's a really great brew.

Feel is smooth and light with a slickness to help propagate the hop characters.

It's a big beer, no doubt, and yet it manages to be so surprisingly drinkable at the same time. After a while, I can feel the 9.4% ABV, but to be honest until I'd drunk most of the bottle, I didn't really notice it. That's the sign of a really good (or at least really distracting) beer.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing