Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stone Enjoy By IPA | Stone Brewing

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA
4.42/5
Outstanding
Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Added by nrs207 on 08-21-2012

#200
4.4

Ratings: 10,836 |  Reviews: 1,512
3.92/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Downhouse in Houston. The latest version, I think that is 4-1-13.

A: Pours a nearly clear golden/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention. Lots of lace is left behind.
S: Citrus, resiny pine, grapefruit. Spicy, peppery aromas in the nose. I am surprised by the simplicity here, though enjoyable. A bitterness lingers on.
T: Follows the nose with a clean citrus and slightly resiny flavor. A lingering bitterness. Again, I am a bit surprised by Stones restraint. Something they are not known for.
M/D: A medium to full body, Crisp carbonation. Very clean and dry as well. For the alcohol and hoppyness this is very easy to drink. I can have a few easily.

I am as surprised as anyone when I say this is rather muted. Certainly a good citrus, piny hop kick. Though not near what I was expecting from Stone. Which to me is a good thing. That, or Stone is responsible for dulling even the stingiest of non hop heads tastes. Joking aside, this is a good beer.

4.48/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A 5.17.13 edition thoroughly enjoyed on 5/3/13. (Also got some 10/25/13 with another great experience). Pours golden with a fluffy one finger head and perfect clarity. Beautiful aroma of floral grapefruit, pine, lemon zest, grass, wow. Slick mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Flavor is grassy pine and sweet citurs. Lighter flavor and mouthfeel than I expect from a top double, but incredibly easy drinking and makes this even better than I expected. Nice beer for sure, and so fresh!

4.49/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L-Golden colored...light lace....lightly carbonated look

S-Floral, herbal, piney....fragrant....oily hoppiness

T-Big again on the floral/herbal notes...not outwardly bitter....good oily hop flavor...almost noble hop feel at points....a good dose of evergreen like pineyness.

F-Definitely a DIPA in body but not sticky sweet like some...I like the oily hop feel to this.

O-A solid DIPA and my first foray into the "Enjoy By" offerings. Apparently they change? This is definitely a quality beer but I wouldn't rate it as high as it sits right now on this site (99)

3.7/5  rDev -16.3%

I picked up a bottle of Stone's Enjoy By IPA a couple days ago for $7.99 at The Lager Mill. I've never had any beers from the Enjoy By series and this is the first one that I've seen on the shelfs, so I thought I should give it a try, lets see how it goes. Best by 2/14/14. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label look nice, it's simple and straight to the point, I think it's a little eye catching with the best by date being the main feature on the label. It poured a fairly hazy golden color that was slightly orange and it took on more of a darker gold and orange color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sticky rings of lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up with a little bit of piney hops coming through with the citrus and fruity hop aromas seeming to stick out the most imparting a real nice citrus and tropical fruit aromas with some nice peach aromas showing up. Up next comes a medium amount of onion and garlic hops that make for and interesting combination when mixed with the fruity hops. Towards the end I get a real light bready and grainy aroma. The aroma was ok, but I wish the onion and garlic like hops didn't show up as much as they did.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that bordered on being highly sweet and it's followed by the hops being the first to show up but this time it's a mixture of the fruity hops and the onion and garlicy hops sticking out which makes for an unusual flavor. There's a real light amount of malts that impart a slight grainy flavor. On the finish there;s a lower amount of high bitterness that doesn't really linger that long and there's a hoppy aftertaste with the onion and garlic like hops coming through. This was an ok tasting beer, but I thought it had the same problem as the aroma with the onion and garlic hops sticking out too much.

M- Fairly smooth, a little crisp, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I I didn't think it was the best example of a DIPA, it was going the right direction with some nice fruity hops, but then the onion and garlic comes through and it really muddles the flavors and it leaves me a little confused. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little crisp and not too filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and half the bottle was enough for me, I don't really feel like drinking another glass mainly because of that onion and garlic flavor. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, they were both pretty good and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the onion and garlic hop aspect, it really held this beer back from being as good as it could be. I wouldn't get any more of this particular beer, but I wouldn't rule out trying the next one that makes it's way to Michigan. I wouldn't recommend this beer unless you love onion and garlic like hops. All in all I was fairly disappointed with this beer, I had heard that this was a pretty good DIPA and that it was more than marketing hype, but it didn't live up to my expectations mainly because it highlighted my least favorite hop profile. There are many other DIPA's that I would much rather have. Better luck next time guys, this beer just wasn't for me.

Edit 2015, over a year later I got to try Enjoy by 4/20/15, this is much better than the first Enjoy by I had, while it still has some green onion aspects to it, the fruity hops stick out the most and I enjoy it. I bumped up the score to reflect this batch, while still keeping other batch in mind.

3.75/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.34/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy By 2.15.13 opened on 1.25.13.

A - Pours a clear, light orange with a small, light tan head with good retention.

S - Very grassy, like fresh mowed lawn, some slight grapefruit.

T - Grass, light citrus, grapefruit again.

D - Good carbonation with a light body.

O - Lots of grass, a touch of bitter, but pretty good.

Edit: 4.20.13 batch

More bready and sweet than the previous bottle. Sticky and chewy in the mouth. I prefer the previous batch.

4.42/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On tap, at the Stone brewery. Was a little disappointed, hit them up on a Wednesday, they had none. Hit 'em up again on Friday, bam, there it was. Batch 7.

First thing I notice is the amazing clarity going on here. Seriously, it looks like a mass produced lager, which is a pretty amazing feat once you realize how much hopping it took to make this beer. Even has around 3/4" of head, white, on it, which again, is pretty amazing given all the hops/hop oil up in this.

Smell wasn't massively hoppy, it was good, but it didn't permeate my nose with tons of hops. Not a letdown, but didn't live up to the rest of the characteristics about the beer that blew me away.

Taste, hops are plenty noticeable, there's hardly a malt bill to it, but somehow, there is no alcohol heat, the bitterness is kept down, even though it seems to have plenty of Simcoe hops to it. I think there might be some Galaxy and Nelson/Mosaic around here too. Summit? Only if in small quantities, its far from a prime time player in this hop meld. Green apple hops, tropical mango. Its actually one of the most gentle double ipas I've ever had, and I mean that in a good way. Some pine and mint undercurrents to the hop flavors. Mouthfeel continues to impress, how does this taste so light and abv around only 5-6ish? Plenty dry as well. Must have used some sugar to dry this out and keep a light body, which it works quite well. Slightly grassy as it warms. Stayed away from heavy caramel. This one is biscuit light in terms of malt flavor and additions.

This is one of the best double ipas bottled. I had mine on draft, but it caused me to go buy a bottle from the gift shop.

Must try if you call yourself a hophead.

4.39/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 05.17.13 being enjoyed on 4/24/13. Poured from a bomber into a stemmed tulip.

Appearance: Pours a light amber/gold and leaves a pretty smell white head - less than one finger. Extremely transparent beer.

Smell: Very strong pine as well as some earthy notes and hints of citrus. Definitely on the stronger side for a DIPA.

Taste: Strong pine and other earthy notes, this one's all hops. Notes of citrus can be found as well as some tobacco, and light grassy flavors. Finishes with more bitter pine as well as some alcohol.

Mouth-feel: Low level of carbonation, light to medium body with a bit of a syrupy texture but pretty light.

Overall: A solid Double IPA, emphasis on the double. The hops explode with flavor and this is definitely not a session ale - this one packs a punch. For hop lovers, this is a must try.

3.94/5  rDev -10.9%

Muted hops in the nose and on the palate. Decent brew

4.24/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had the 3-14-15 version and very much enjoyed it

4.48/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.1/5  rDev -7.2%

Second batch Enjoy By 11.09.12. Bright orange color, super head and lace. Super juicy citrus and hops in the aroma, definite west coast. More citrus, pine, bitterness, typical west coast and typical stone. This is a good DIPA and I would expect nothing less from Stone. I sure hope we get another batch of this in Colorado at some point. Winner.

4.27/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed 5/7/17
Stone Enjoy By 05.29.17
12 oz. bottle
Moderate pour yields a 1 and a 1/2 inch white head over a slightly hazy light golden body with some sticky lacing. Nose of pine, citrus, and tropical fruit. Taste follows aromas with medium to high bitterness with a nice dry finish. Nice feel and overall a more than decent Enjoy By.

4.48/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4/20/13 There was a time when the date of this one would have been the most awesome thing. I guess I'm getting old...

Appearance. Pours a rich but clear gold with a finger of white head. Decent lace, but nothing spectacular.

Smell. Beautiful pine and lucious tropical fruits. Mango, pineapple, papaya, limes and grapefruit. There's some toasty grainy malt backing it up, but this smells like it brings the goods in the west coast style hop department.

Taste. Big juicy hops again. Lots of tropical fruit, grapefruit rind, oranges, pine sap, spicy hops, grassy hops, and some nice toasted grainy malt backing it up ...but not too much. The full range of hop flavours is here and not in a overdone sort of way. Nice bitterness in the finish as well and very fresh tasting, as expected.

Mouthfeel. Medium+ body, medium-low smooth carbonation.

Overall. A pretty awesome IPA. If you like hops and lots of 'em, this beer doesn't disappoint.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing