Stone Enjoy By IPA | Stone Brewing

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Added by nrs207 on 08-21-2012

4.4

Reviews: 1,479 | Ratings: 10,675
4.17/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2-14-14( tasted 1/30/14)-
Having tasted this beer twice in the past- once on tap 12/12, and 9-2-13, I was expecting the same quality and taste/mf/aroma profile.

The current brew doesn't have the strong aroma of the 9-2-13. The latter had more tropical fruit, and a more bitter, hoppy finish.

The current Enjoy By is more conventional- tastes similar to other West Coast IPAs. Lots of grapefruit, more sweetness, the same vanilla presence, and less hoppier finish.
I would like more tropical fruit in future brews.

An excellent beer, but I prefer the previous style.

9-2-13

I was to lucky to find a bottle of this sought after beer.

Poured in a tulip: beautiful copper color with carbonation bubbles from the bottom of the glass.
1F head.

I could smell the fruit without putting my nose to the glass. Very tropical: orange, some grapefruit, and surprisingly, vanilla, which I don't usually smell in an IPA.

What sets this IPA apart from others: the fruits are highly tropical. Not your typical grapefruit, or citrus rind. Very tropical with orange. Very little grapefruit.

The aroma carries to the taste. A good sign of a balanced beer. Loads of tropical fruit. No vanilla. A blast of carbonation in the mouth feel enhances the overall experience of the beer.

Intense bitter hops at the finish- a Stone signature.

Great beer. I tasted it only once before in December. Fresh A+ IPA!

4.95/5  rDev +12.5%

Based on the 08.02.13 batch. Poured a gorgeous clear amber, with a half finger white head. It looks fantastic poured into a tulip. Scents of pine, citrus, especially grapefruit, pineapple, slight tropical fruit and a bit of malt. The scent is fantastic and entices you to drink. Each sniff made me want to take the first sip more and more. Flavor begins with a burst of bitter citrus and grapefruit pith moving into a blend of grapefruit and bitter pine and finishing with a nice resiny pine flavor and aftertaste. A hint of malt sweetness in the middle blends wonderfully with the hop flavors and a noticeable alcohol presence hits at the end. An amazing double IPA flavor profile, comparing favorably with the best of the others of it's style I've tasted. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. It's standard, but not bad. A sublime double IPA. Full of hop flavor, with an extreme bitterness and citrus flavors. It slams your palette with it's assertive flavor and doesn't relent. Well worth getting, a fantastic beer and a great showing from Stone.

3.88/5  rDev -11.8%

11.12.13
Stone Enjoy by 11.12.13
22oz

Pours a clear, light amber. Tight white head retains nicely. Average retention. (3.5)

Aroma is floral-hoppy, slight ester. Pear, fresh-cut grass, tropical fruit, orange. Pretty nice, though not quite as bright as I expected. Slightest bit of paper (oxidation). (3.5)

Flavor is not terribly bitter up front, but the bitterness does linger on the palate. Clean, no autolyzed yeast flavor. Sweet malt and light caramel. Heavy/dank hop flavors come through more in the flavor, as does the citrus. Simcoe funk and Amarillo grapefruit. Alcohol is apparent, but not boozy. Very drinkable for a DIPA, and quite warming. (4)

I waited until the last day this beer was "fresh" and it still tastes great, though I'm sure it would have been even better two weeks ago. I'd absolutely love it if it were a tad less sweet on the front and had more of a biscuit-not-caramel malt character. (4)

4.59/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy By 12.26.14, Clear golden-amber pour with a foamy white two finger head with good retention and great lacing. Sticky, resiny hops dominate the nose along with hints of grapefruit, pine, tropical fruit, orange peel, and subtle green onion. The taste mirrors the nose with dank, resiny, earthy, fresh picked hops along with hints of pine, orange peel, grapefruit, tropical fruit, green onions, and just enough sweet caramel malt to keep it honest. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, subtly chewy, and extremely oily with a mouth-puckering crisp, dry, bitter finish. Overall, I've been trying to get my hands on this beer for quite a while, and it did not disappoint. Incredibly fresh and bold and every bit as good as Heady or Pliny! Highly recommended!

4.22/5  rDev -4.1%

This review came from notes (3rd batch):

A: Amberish/golden hue with a stead head and good lacing

S: Grapefruit, weed, pineapple--so fresh with somewhat of a bready backbone; but mostly lots of hop resin aromas dominating

T: So bitter and resiny: oily, piney, dank, grapefruity--it is so bitter and I wish there was a little more sweetness underneath

F: So sticky and oily and awesome

O: This is a bitter, in your face beer--I like it--but I wish it had a bit more of a malty sweetness underneath; but like I said, it is still a darn good beer

4.13/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a one week old bottle.

Pours an attractive golden straw color. Dense white head.
A very nice looking beer.

Smells of tropical fruits, pine, berries.

Tastes of bitter hops. Bitter grapefruit, spicy, earthy hops. Some alcohol on the backend.

Mouthfeel is full without being too syrupy. Moderate to low carbonation.

A great beer no doubt.

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Bottle Enjoy By Date: 3.14.15
Wow, this is a pretty excellent brew. I have never had the chance to try this one, as I am from Missouri, when all of a sudden I visited a local liquor store and a stack of this was sitting in between a couple other stacks of 12 packs. It would have been extremely easy to walk right past this and never even know it was there.

This is a awesome IPA, extremely fresh, and tropical flavors and hop bitterness dominate. There is a great level of balance here between those two main flavors. I would have considered this one an even higher rating if it wasn't for a slight pungent onion flavor in behind it all. As it warmed, this flavor became more pronounced and quite present over the other flavors.

Drink this one cold and it is awesome, if it warms too much though, you will regret it.

Would absolutely purchase and drink again.

Bottled Enjoy By Date: 4.20.15
This one is more dank and much more bitter. Still delicious though.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: Yes

4.68/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Enjoy By 4.20.13 opened a few days ago.

A: Holy shit. The first thing I noticed was the clarity of this beer! It looks like a macro lager! A deep golden color with a solid white head. This beer could be used in billboards. This is what perfect IPAs look like in my head.
S: A blend of tropical fruits and pine resin. Fresh mango, peach, pineapple. Lots of citrus (orange, grapefruit, lemon). *Smelled very boozy towards the end. That was my fault though, I got distracted for a bit and let it warm up more than I wanted. Still great though.
T: Huge hop bite! Citrus and pine flavors blend together perfectly. Some nice toasted malts to hold up those hops. Ends with a resinous bitterness that doesn't linger too long, just right. Alcohol is very well hidden.
M: Light/medium bodied. Nice, medium carbonation. Great for the style.
O: A relatively easy to find, widely distributed IIPA that happens to be one of the best I've tried? Yes that sounds like a winner to me.

4.12/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear golden orange with a medium off-white head. Aromas of grapefruit rind and vanilla. Taste begins with some massive apricot, followed by some candied dates, then some resinous, pine Forrest finish. Mouthfeel is super rich. Overall an excellent DIPA. The expiration date being clearly marked is a HUGE plus, I wish all hoppy beers were labeled this way.

4.41/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 12/13/13

a - poured a two-fingers thick tan head into a snifter that left great lacing throughout. the body was a crystal clear amber color. i don't think i've ever seen a DIPA so bright.
s - piney hops with some floral aromas fighting through.
t - piney, citrusy, and floral as well with some breadiness and a hint of honey sweetness.
m - medium and finishes incredibly clean.
o - stupendous and delicious.

3.85/5  rDev -12.5%

Finally made it's way to the Bay Area and gotta drink it fast cuz the end of the world is right around the corner. Would suck to have this in the cellar after without popping it after my...er...our demise. Cool beer name.

Pours a clear peach/yellow ale with a white foamy head and nice lacing.

Getting a lot of cirtus fruits with a dankness in the background. Pine, orange juice and a touch of malt.

First taste reminds me a tad like Pliny. The fresh hops are present though there is a touch of orange in the finish. Grapefruit salivation. A little on the sweet side if you like your DIPA this way. As it warms, the malt backbone is present in the finish. Works well.

Pretty quick finish.

Overall I liked it. Maybe I'm spoiled by my proximity to Pliny, but this was just a likable (not loveable) beer to me. Nice take in the DIPA family, but probably the last time I'll purchase it. Plus I'll be dead in a couple weeks anyway. Onto my cellared Double Bastard.

4.25/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.20.15. Very good. Right on point with its price equivalents/ peers, sculpin and 90 min. I enjoyed it from a 6 and looking forward to the rest by 4/20.

4.19/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a honey / light Amber color. Has aroma of citrus peel & resin. Flavor is citrusy and piny. Good balance with a nice aftertaste of hops. Overall pretty good IPA, I enjoyed it

4.72/5  rDev +7.3%

I bought 2 of these bombers for $6.99 each, because that's all that my store would sell me. But if this stuff was readily available, I would buy it by the case at that price. Moving on...

A - Pours a beautiful golden orange with a 2 finger off white head.

S - (This was my favorite part) A HUGE waft of piney and citrusy hops hit you right away. There is a little bit of a biscuty malt smell, but mainly just lots of fresh hops. I always thought that the emphasis on drinking extremely fresh west coast IPAs was a little over exaggerated, but this is pretty awesome.

T - There is a huge hop presence and plenty of grapefruit and pine flavored hops hit you as soon as you take a sip, but I was shocked that this didn't really taste very bitter at all - considering how "big" of an IPA it was. IT went down dangerously easy and had an IPA flavor that I have never really experiences before.

M - Mouth feel was pretty typical for a west coast IPA. Medium body, pretty heavy carbonation.

O - I wish this beer was more widely distributed, but if you see it in your store... tackle it. Especially at $6.99 a bomber...

4.36/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 10.31.15
Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Spiegelau IPA glass.
LOOK: Pours with a finger's worth of white foam that halves itself after 1 minute. Yellow in color. There is an abundance of both medium and large sized bubbles rising towards the top. Lacing is thick, but moderate.
SMELL: Has strong aromas of floral hops, mango, papaya, apricot, and pineapple that entangle with mild aromas of grapefruit, orange, piney hops, and bready malts along with hints of bitter hops.
TASTE: Strong floral hop, mango, papaya, apricot (no pineapple, though... I suppose not every IPA can be a Yellow Rose) flavors enter initially and are immediately followed by mild piney hop flavors. Mild grapefruit and orange flavors come onto the palate next along with subtle bready malt flavors. Subtle bitter hops and a hint of alcohol finish off this delicious symphony as all previous flavors persist, except piney hops, which grow slightly stronger.
FEEL: Somewhere between full-bodied and medium-bodied. Moderately carbonated. Goes down somewhat smooth and finishes with a horribly strong dryness (please get me some water).
NOTE: What an amazing Double IPA. It wasn't overly bitter and the 9.4% could barely be tasted. The major downfall in this brew was the mouthfeel. I will definitely be buying the next Enjoy By.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Taken from notes from their first batch, on tap at the Ritual Tavern in San Diego, 08.25.12.
Actually pasting my notes as I drink Enjoy By 04.01.13, which matches this review

From tap to tulip

A: copper-tan in color, clear. Small head leaves patching lacing everywhere

S. lemony, earthy in the front. Lots of vege scents, onion especially. Ample alcohol lifts the dense bouquet.

T: Typical IPA flavors at first - rind-y citrus, but the vegetable notes pop to the front. Onion, celery, bouillon. Sharp lemon-pepper blends well with ample alcohol. Everything resonates well. Completely unique IPA profile but still a distinctively West Coast style. Suprisingly short finish.

Possibly the best beer Stone had come up with. Someone told me this was a Pliny clone, as Stone distributed for Russian river in ca, but its got its own groove. Same West Coast style, but definitely unique.

2.7/5  rDev -38.6%

01/26/14 From bottle labeled 01/09/14. Can't get much fresher than that outside the brewpub. That being said I wasn't knocked out.

In fairness I never was much of a hops fan and this follows the Stone model of catering to that taste. Pine was the flavor of note but the lack of depth was striking. I applaud the effort, but no cigar.

4.53/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 9 13 13. On tap at George street alehouse.

Arrives in a pint glass with a half finger of foam. Clear bright orange color. Aroma is fantastically hoppy, redolent of grapefruit and citrus. Wow. First sip is an explosion of hoppy goodness with a very smooth finish. No harsh bitterness here and just enough malt to round things out. This beer is hop flavor in a glass without any harsh bitterness or cloying sweetness.

It's been a long time since I've had an ipa this good and is making me fall in love with hops all over again. I will look for this beer again!

4.46/5  rDev +1.4%

Pour is a yellow orange but look a bit light. An ok amount of head and lace, maybe a bit avg. The smell is phenomenal. Great hoppy smell that is not quite like any other double IPA. Maybe based on the the smell my expectations were extremely high. The taste was a very slight let down from the smell. Hoppy yet, not nearly what you would expect from the smell. The feel was a bit thin too. I felt like for this double IPA, the hoppy presence peeks very quick then fades into more of a watery mouthful. Overall, I do like this beer but was expecting more from it. It did fall short of being a world class beer but I still enjoyed it. I do have another bottle that I will try as the first beer of the evening to see if I've been thrown off by the other beers.

4.66/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This is the Enjoy By 4/1/13. The first one I quick rated was the 12/21/12 which had a goofy blurb about the end of the world. This review, 4/1/13, full review date, 3/1/13.

Pours a nice gold with a solid 2 inch head. The lacing is decent.

Flowers and citrus start this off, booze, caramel and pine resin follow (and that's just the nose.)

The first thing I taste is grapefruit and pine. Pale malts, more pine and caramel follow. Alcohol heat is on the low end of noticable. The pine and citrus last forever in my mouth. Light, but not watery, the carbonation smooths out quickly.

Top notch double IPA! I hop (hahaha) they don't keep jacking up the price. Still, very worth trying if you love the hops!

4.29/5  rDev -2.5%

Enjoy By 4/20/14

Clear, bright orange. Almost no head. Some lacing along the glass.

Lots of grapefruit citrus, fresh pine, granny smith, grass, mint, slight alcohol

Sticky piney notes, juicy citrus fruit, slightly sweet malts to balance abundant bitterness, hint of booze.

Medium body with light carbonation. A little bit of heat with finishes with a bitter tinge.

Stoked I finally got to try this one. Truly dank. Truly delicious.

4.68/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

No clue how I've had 4-5 of these and never reviewed.

I love this beer. Every 3-4 months a new one comes out and it's just as amazing as the last and always so fresh. I'm sure I'm spoiled as some people can't seem to get it often enough.

A firm pour provides a modest bit of foam, I don't expect much lacing given the head. Crystal clear (too much so but it's crazy fresh) with a dark golden orange head. This looks a bit darker than their normal IPAs but not much.

The nose is HUGE full of citrus grape fruit and just intense grape fruit rines. The level of dryness is mind blowing, this is going to be amazing.

A complex blend of just explosive hops, I mean these are just off their rocker. A massive sucker punch of grape fruit, tangerine, mango, and god knows what else come at you like a thunder bolt. the beer is sweet, but hell if I could tell you anything about the malt. The hops start a billionth of a second after the first taste and they don't let up, period.

The beer drinking surprisingly light, the hop body and bite mixed with such a clean carbonation makes this amazingly easy to drink. The hops just ripping your tongue apart are the only thing to remind you this might be a high abv beer.

I'm not sure if the balance and blend of perfect malts with perfect hops happens here. It just misses on the most elite of elite ipa's but I'm splitting hairs here.

3.64/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled on 10/20/15, bottle date 9/24/15. Poured from bomber into Spiegelau IPA glass. Beautiful in appearance, a translucent dark orange with a voluminous snow-white head despite a somewhat tentative pour. The aroma from the bottle was piney, but once into the glass the hop presence was muted. On the palate, some sweetness up front followed by a bitter, resinous finish. There seemed to be a lot of hop oiliness and bitterness without much of the actual hop flavor. Too close to the enjoy-by date? I don't know. Not the hop bomb I was expecting, but a pleasant enough offering and very (too?) drinkable for the high ABV.

4.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Presentation: Enjoy by 5.17.2013 chilled and poured into a Hill Farmstead tulip.

Appearance: Medium yellow to light orange in color. Pours a light lacing that sticks well to the glass.

Aroma: Bitter grapefruit, orange zest and some pine tones.Plenty of bright hoppiness here. You can definitely pick up on the freshness.

Taste: Bright grapefruit, lots of citrus fruit, a touch of mango and some earthy, pine notes. Big dry and bitter finish. The sweetness from the malt and the ABV is really quite low.

Mouthfeel: Lighter than expected carbonation with a light to medium mouthfeel for the style. Really refreshing and easy to drink.

Overall, a really tasty imperial IPA with a big, bitter hop bite. I like how it maintains the drier character of a lower ABV beer. Tons of flavor, but the sweetness and complexity of the hops are a bit overwhelmed by bitterness. I really appreciate the idea behind this beer and the beer itself is also very good.

4.25/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Straight pour from a 22oz pry-off bottle to my tall Ommegang flute; freshness date is, well, pretty clear on this bad boy. My understanding is that this was bottled on February 22, which would therefore make this beer seven days old. Yep, it’s fresh as shit.

Appearance (4.25): A solid three to four fingers of just-off-white, cream-colored foam rises from the pour, capping a crystal-clear, 24ct gold body. Quite handsome. The head devolves slowly to a raised cap in the middle, looking like a big meringue nipple, and leaves behind scattered, widely-spaced splotches of dense foam in little archipelagos. It has pretty nice retention, though, leaving some chunky stuff well into the glass, and leaves some fat collars which I like quite a bit, too.

Smell (4.25): Juicy, sticky, citrusy nectar (mango, papaya, apricots, and passionfruit) melds with a resinous, piney-dank tone that suggests sweaty nuggets of hops and marijuana. The malt does come through a bit underneath, mainly sweet biscuit scents mixing with rich, fresh-baked bread, like a brioche—a bit sweet, a bit rich, very soft and tasty.

Taste (4.25): As expected, the hops character is almost all flavor and almost no bitterness: sweet citrus again (pineapple with some lemon juice), covering a really very slight, resinous bitterness underneath. Some citrus pith, too, and red grapefruit flesh. The malt is again bready and sweet in that rich way, like brioche or challah, but carries a sweetness that mixes with the hops like iced lemon bundt cake. While it’s all flavoring and aroma hops, it seems, I will say that it’s quite good (liking it more and more as it warms, actually) but it’s not blowing me out of the water, either. But still, quite good. The dank hops flavor actually comes out as more and more bitter, with some spicy notes, actually, as it warms. Some booze, but it melds with that resin character well, so points for that.

Mouthfeel (4.25): Soft carbonation giving a silky texture to a generally medium-weight (at most) body—the head sticks around long enough that some soft pillows pass the lips. It finishes definitively dry, but not parchingly so—still easy enough to drink in every regard that it’s hard to take it slow.

Overall (4.25): This is a well-above-average DIPA, no question there. And it definitely delivers what it promises: the short shelf-life flavor and aroma hopping is here in spades, but I’m surprised at how little bitterness there is. Compare this to Ruination, for example, and the difference is clear as day. But this beer is very, very good, and I’m glad to have tried it. And super kudos to Stone for latching onto an idea (with the freshness initiative, as it were) and running with it to its logical extreme—who else would do that so well?

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing