Stone Enjoy By IPA | Stone Brewing

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Added by nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Reviews: 1,434 | Ratings: 10,513
4.5/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy By 4-20-14

A: Pours a bright and clear golden/orange. Large thick off white head. Good retention
at first, but this does not last. The lacing is also not much to talk about.

S: Strong and fresh. Citrus. Pine. Hops. Resin. Pineapple. Hops. Dry. Malty. Hops.

T/M: Not unlike the aroma. Citrus flavors such as grapefruit and pineapple. Strong dank
hops. Pine. Hop resin. Bitter, but balanced well enough with malts. The finish has hop
bitterness and a linger of citrus. An alcohol taste comes through slightly.

O: World Class. Delicious. Hop Bomb. Great citrus flavors. Not too extreme which helps
with the drinkability. This beer is a must try if you're a Hophead.

Cheers!!!

4.24/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

05.17.13
The beer pours a beautiful golden orange with almost amber highlights. It pours with a half of a finger’s with head of pristine white, small bubbles that all sit as uniform in size, and stay the same height on the glass, but fad to a scrim in the middle of the beer. The head leaves a lacing of thick, creamy bubbles on the glass, forming fat waves on the sides. In body the beer is clean with a slight chill haze and lots of little bubbles gently working their way to the top of the beer. On the nose, the beer is pungent from the minute the bottle is cracked. This smell is everything I expect from Stone, with big sticky resin on the nose blending beautiful into tropical and stone fruit notes of mango, papaya, slight grapefruit, and a kiss of boozy malt. On the tongue, the beer tastes smoothly bitter with a nice kiss of sweet hops, a touch of sweet alcohol, and some slight acidity coming off the hops as well. The flavors begin as sweet mango and papaya, which are quickly blasted away by dank, resinous pine notes that smother the bitters gently across the palate and give the tongue a nice shiver. Pinecone flavors meld and overpower a slight sweet caramel touch, while stone fruit flavors and a touch of pineapple gel in the background of the flavor. The finish is long, smooth, and bitter with medicinal and pine flavoring that works into the aftertaste of bitter resin, though the finish does showcase a hiccup of sweet and almost cloying caramel malt. In the mouth, the beer feels surprisingly fat and syrupy, coming in on the heavier side in body with a smooth and sticky carbonation that oozes the beer over the tastes buds. The mouth is left wet on the sides with a light dryness traveling up the middle of the tongue. Overall, this is good DIPA, and I didn’t expect anything else from Stone. It could use a touch more dryness to it, as the alcohol and sweet hops do provide hiccups of cloying sugar on the tongue and stomach, but overall, this is a beautiful expression of hops. The hop character is deeply complex and nuanced, revealing new flavors to the palate with every sip. It does sit a little thick in the stomach, though, and is definitely more of a sipper, but all in all this is a damn good DIPA with a great message about the life of hoppy flavors.

4.66/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a Jester King stemmed glass.

A: Crystal clear pure golden color. Aggressive pour leads to a one-finger fluffy white head that fades slowly and leaves sticky lacing. Columns of bubbles rise continuously.

S: Huge citrisy hop profile. Grapefruit, orange zest, lemon, you name the citrus, it's included. Some resin in the midst of the nose and the malt is crisp and smooth but lets the big time hop profile take center stage.

T: Beautiful hop palate destruction time. Again the citrus hops hit first, the resiny pine hops come through second and the malt bill comes and cleans the stage up but leaves the delicious oils to coat.

M: Crisp, sharp, biting finish. Perfectly carbonated and the hop oils leave a beautiful coating that refuses to let me stop drinking until it's gone.

O: An absolute gem of a beer. I love the concept, I love how hard they work to get it to the stores in such a short period of time and I love this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

One of my favorite IPA's. I get this every time it comes around. Excellent balance, very fresh (as expected). A great concept by Stone, and it seems to work every time.

4.68/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this puppy on tap at bottle revolution in Raleigh NC. Was so much better than I remembered.

Appearance- Beautiful sunset orange with lots of bubbles streaming up to the top with about a half finger of egg white head that disappeared quickly. Awesome.

Smell- Wow. This is amazing. Smells like I'm sticking my nose in a bag of tropical fruits and hops. What I get is hops, mango, peach, grapefruit, slight bread malty notes. Just epic smells.

Taste. Holy crap this is so much more fruit-forward than the October 2013 version. Follows the nose precisely. Tastes like hopped up fruit juice. Just an amazing, and probably my favorite IPA currently.

Mouthfeel- Super carbinated and drinks dangerously well for a 9.4 % beer.

Overall- This is easily Stone's best beer. And that's saying a lot. Amazing.

4.05/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

22 oz 02.14.14 bottle shared between three people in three wine glasses. Happy to see this in Michigan on the (relative) cheap, $7.99/bomber. I'm much more willing to buy this at a reasonable price in MI than I am at $10 in NY.

A - almost transparent, extremely translucent, beautiful oranges and yellows, one of the clearest IPAs I've ever poured. Very little foam on the forced pour. No carbonation bubbles, despite the lacing that gets left up the side on every swirl.

S - huge citrus on the nose, lots of orange, some fruits that balance between acidity and sugar, pineapple coupled by grapefruit, kiwi/mango coupled with some earthier greens, arugula, swiss chard, and butter lettuce. There's something a little fishy here too, an empty, lager-like sweetness; isopropyl alcohol. It doesn't last. The lasting impression is rubbery.

T - sweeter than expected, cloying honey and sugary tones, with only a hint of the fruity hops that back them. The sweet ephemeral fruit notes of pineapples, kiwi, and orange give way to some emptiness that isn't especially pleasant. Big and boozy.

M - there isn't a ton of balance. There's a lot of booze and a lot of sugar that fight each other the entire time. The alcohol is relatively hidden, but not entirely absent. Enjoy By coats the tongue.

O - I love the gimmick, I think it's got a good message. Some of the fruitier tones are somewhat diminished by the rubbery tones. I like the strong booze presence, but it doesn't benefit the taste in any significant way. Enjoy By is good, definitely worth <$8 /bomber, but not any more than that.

4.8/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Holy shitballs! Maybe I drank the Kool-aid on this one, I was hesitant of all the great reviews, but this beer is all that and more. I have become a fullblown hop addict I guess?

Color: Dark almost red golden color. Bronze?

Smell: This is where they get ya! This beer has about the best nose I have ever experienced. Its piney, fruity hop brilliance at its finest. Shall I say pine, bubble gum, and tropical fruit, juicy fruit gum perhaps? Then there is the dank, oh the dank. I love earthy dankness I guess.

Taste: This is bitter, but smooth, hoppy as hell, but just wonderful. I detect pine, grapefruit and other citrus fruits. This is what an IPA should taste like people! I know I am using a lot of punctuation to describe this beer, but what have I been missing out on? I have drank a lot of IPA's and DIPA's as of late and this one is the best I have had. I have never given a perfect score on a beer and I don't know if there is such an animal but this one is about as close as I have ever given. I just hope it doesn't become as hard to find as some of those others, which by the way I have never been able to get my hands on. So, maybe those are 100 beers. This one, is really really close to being my all time favorite IPA though. One complaint, at 9.4% you can't drink but one.

4.3/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy By 02.14.15 (11 days from bottling)

Clean fluffy head, clear amber liquid.
Citrus (grapefruit) forward, strong floral backing.
Following nose with strong citrus front, floral/earthy notes push heavily in through the mid and finish. No alcohol detectable. Strong onion end.
Superb mouthfeel, just indescribable how nice this is to drink.
Freshness is key with this series. Everything is extremely clean and distinct, no harsh transitions or unwanted lingering. A bit too much onion for me (score dropped a bit) but otherwise excellent.

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just grabbed today; bomber poured into tulip glass -- Have had many of the other Enjoy By releases, but reviewing 4.20.14.

A: Dark copper, but fairly transparent; very thin head that dissipates within a few minutes.

S: All-consuming, dank hop character; tropical, warm and intoxicating.

T: Hoppy, tropical and dank (sound familiar?). The beer makes no qualms about what it is: A West Coast DIPA.

M: Warm and oily with mild carbonation and a full finish.

O: I'll preface this with the fact that 4.20.14 is slightly different than other Enjoy Bys, but that said, it still stays true to the original recipe. It's more dank than usual, yet you're still looking at the same overwhelming hop aroma and flavors bombarding you throughout (in a great way).

4.13/5  rDev -5.9%

Enjoy By 4/20/14

A - Pours a remarkably clear pale orange, with a finger of head that clears out quickly, but leaves nice sticky lacing.

S - wow, they aren't kidding with that "devastatingly dank" tag line. I get big swampy dank notes of raw hops. I just finished brewing a batch of beer and the nose on this beer is like ziplock baggies of pure hop pellets. It smells green -- grass, marijuana, green onion, lemon grass, with faint touches of pine and mango.

T - Big, concentrated doses of mango, pineapple, onion, with a tinge of lemon and pine around the edges. Juicy middle; bitter and savory on the back end.

M - mouthfeel is big and full, with ample sweetness, but a dry finish.

Overall, this is a big, in your face DIPA with nothing to hide. It may be the most savory IPA I've ever had. This is the first time that all those descriptors like onion, garlic and cat piss really resounded with me. There is some tropical sweetness to balance things out, but I think this is not quite my cup of tea. A great beer, but they could tone back the CTZ, Summit, or whatever's bringing the onion.

4.22/5  rDev -3.9%

Bottle dated 11.16.12 , four days ago, enjoy by 12.21.12 poured into a duvel glass.

A: pours a clean clear golden orange with about a infringer if white frothy head, dissapates nicley with pleanty of pretty lacing. Nice.

S: wow, this smells amazing, loads of citrus, grapefruit, lemon, orange, pinneapple, and a beautiful fresh piney resinousness.... The aroma is fantastic.

T: much like the nose I get alot of citrusy grapefruit, orange, lemon, notes drenched in deep resinous pine.

M: medium bodied with medium carbonation, nice lush, dry and bitter on the aftertaste, this brew really coats the mouth in hop resins, long lasting bitterness.

O: this is a really delicious, really fresh beer, for a dipa of this much hoppage I'm glad they kept beer on the dryer side instead of sweeting in up to much... Really nice, Grab this while you can.

4.38/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy By Pi (3.14.15), sadly sampled a little late, but still terrific. Nose could be more pungent, but excellent dry, pale-malt grainy notes mingle with floral sugariness and hints on limey pine. The color and flavor match the dexterity of the aroma, but with greater and more assured—though still ultimately mild and measured—intensity: pale, round golden-brown chromatics meet rich, grassy sugars and juicy, soft-touch hops, featuring notes of papaya, nasturtium, and hints of lemon-zest.

Great balance, great depth, great freshness and refreshment.

4.52/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden amber with a quickly dissipating, two finger head that settles into a spotty cap that lasts throughout. Decent lacing. Great floral aroma up front with nice sweet malt notes in the background. Hoppy bitterness hits the front of the tongue followed by a torrent of pine resin and grapefruit rind. Sweet malt backbone balances the hops nicely. Mouthfeel is where this ale shines; smooth and easy drinking for the ABV. Medium bodied with light carbonation. Overall, this is an outstanding example of an Imperial IPA, extremely well crafted and balanced. Kudos Stone.

4.08/5  rDev -7.1%

06/28/15 Enjoy by 11/15/15
Ok, now we have more hops and bitterness. It seems a return to what the Enjoy by was several years ago. I like this one.

06/18/14 Enjoy by 07/14/14

This one was much softer than previous Enjoy bys. Wasn't as hoppy as the previous early 2014 and 2013 productions. Reminded me of the 04/13 style, but this one was even softer. I felt as if Stone also brewed this one with a muscadet or semillion wine grape because of the roundness.

03/27 Enjoy by 04/13/14

This one had a much more floral nose to it. DIdn't appear as hoppy as the 2.14.14
It was also much softer than the previous one. It did not have the orange hue to it, so I have to imagine the IBU count isnt as high.
But this is still a very enjoyable beer. Different than 2.14.14, not better no worse, just different. Mush more of a soft smoothing, slow sipping beer

02/07 Enjoy By 02.14.14

Getting better. This one had to have a higher IBU rating. There was a orange hue to the pour from this one with strong aromas of grapefruit, citrus and pine. To me, there was so much hops, that this beer was dry before I even tasted it. Dry isnt the word. Its a beer for a hop head, no question about that. This one, I would rank up there with some of the real hop head beers.
Totally enjoyable, but one flaw... Too much hop without enough to balance this one, so too much in one direction

10/16 Enjoy By 11.12.13

This by far to me has been the best enjoy by in a long time. I am a huge fan of Ruination and once I poured this one, it didn't have the same deeper color, but everything else is right there and some more
The hops came out across the room, you didn't even have to be close to the bottle. The air was filled with citrus and grapefruit. As I got closer to the glass, my senses opened up even more. The bitterness of this beer let your tongue know for sure what you were drinking but at the same time, giving you a comfortable mouthful and balance. Each sip, was more bitter than the one before, but in such a good sense.
The finish was outstanding...
I could not find anything wrong with this beer, hence, a '5' it gets

---

I couldn't wait to taste this one. I just didnt know what to expect from Stone. The pour was a nice amber reddish/golden hue with a nice frothy white head.

Then I put my nose up to the glass. U almost feel off my chair! By the smell, I was expecting the IBU count to be into the thousands, far beyond what mortals can drink.

But at the first sip, I realized that while the Hop aroma was there, almost crazy, this beer had a good amount of hoppiness, but very gentle, something you would think in the 70's

Each sip was cleaner and cleaner. Still the nose held up so very well.

The taste was crisp and clean All those hops didnt jump after your tongue. This was one enjoyable beer. I know its limited, but I gotta see if I can convince of of our guys to let another go.

4.44/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

had this quite a few times, but it is time to do a review.

a: clear honey-gold. some alcohol legs, almost no lacing.

s: very sculpin-like. Honey and citrus sweetness, floral notes, and that strange, bitter, astringent, oniony smell. Very nice.

t: Before you even get to fully taste the beer, bitterness comes in and hits you, with astringent, floral hops rolling across your tongue. finishes a little hot.

mf: medium, almost on the sticky side like RuinTen. Alcohol does come through a little bit.

overall: definitely worth trying, or grabbing a few bottles. Isn't as good as some of those other big guys, but it is what it is.

4.34/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

22 oz. bomber, bottled on 3/15. 4 days old!

A: Clear, straw colored body. Typical of most Stone IPAs. Nice head and retention.

S: Citrus fruit cocktail, hops and a hint of alcohol. Just a huge nose.

T: Huge hop flavor on the front of the tongue, tropical fruit. Mild bitterness. Very light malt backbone with a dry finish.

M: Good carbonation. Really a pleasure to drink for a 9.4% beer.

O: Great beer. I'll pick up a bottle again if I see it.

4.42/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottled on 11/16/12. Enjoy By 12/21/12. End of the World beer, Love it. Poured into a tulip.

A- With an aggressive pour Enjoy By 12/21/12 pours a deep gold color, brilliantly clear with 2 fingers of rocky, foamy white head that seems to linger awhile and leaves some mild lacing on the glass.

S- A super aromatic beer. Huge aromas coming off of this one of ripe pineapple and other rich and overly ripe tropical fruits. There is a nice underlying sweetness underneath the tropical fruits that compliments them well. Smells wonderful.

T- Follows nose well. Super up front fresh hop bite that IPA lovers seek. Very tasty combination of the tropical fruits and bready, biscuity malts.

M- Nice and creamy. Nice mouth coating texture that ensures the whole palate gets a taste. Medium amount of carbonation that suits the style well. Super refreshing.

O- After trying this nobody should question whether or not Stone brews a solid IPA or DIPA. This is one solid beer. Crisp and refreshing, what more could one want out of a beer? Seek this one out.

4.12/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Enjoy by 10.25.13

a: slightly hazy golden orange, with some burnt amber. 3 finger solid white head

s: real dank. tons of pineapple, mango, passionfruit, grapefruit, orange zest. hint of clean malts in there as well

t: again, dank hops. mostly grapefruit, pineapple, and passionfruit. there is a slight malt character in here as well towards the end of the flavor. not too bitter (for Stone). the bitterness comes in towards the end and comes from a tea-leaf like flavor. has that distinct Stone flavor to it

m: medium, with mild carbonation.

o: its ok. i had an earlier vintage at Stone a few months ago and like it better. i enjoy that it is not overly bitter, but with the tropical fruits were a bit more juicy.

4.42/5  rDev +0.7%

22oz bottle dated in large letters "Enjoy by 11/09/12".

Pale, gold, clear elixir poured into DFH chalice. Thin, white head forms a solid , thin ring. Thick dollops of lacing coat the glass.

Floral hops mingle with tropical fruits and sticky pine. Reminds me of last years Surly WET. Nice.

Nicely bitter, resinous hops, mango, spice, some earth tones. A bit of alcohol comes through at the end.

Nicely carbonated, medium body, pleasant aftertaste.

There's a lot going on with multiple different hops coming through. Certainly a simcoe tinge. Overall a nicely done IPA.

4.3/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into tulip

Appearance: Pour produced at least a two finger fluffy white head that settled down to a small head that never went away. Color is a bright golden to dingy orange.

Smell: Tons of floral and citrus aromas. Grapefruit rind, orange peel, pineapple and mango blend together with resiny, piney hops. Am also picking up on some caramel sweetness, too.

Taste: Up front the citrus notes dominate. I am tasting mango, pineapple, and some orange. This one is very fruit forward to me for a DIPA. There is some floral and grassy notes in the middle but does not dominate and the hoppiness is evident but very well integrated. Bitterness is present but so is some sweetness that evens everything out.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly creamy to me?! The bitterness is there but not to the point that it makes me pucker. Carbonation is moderate and this beer has that drying affect on the palate.

Overall: One great DIPA! The entire experience was enjoyable because no one aspect dominated and it is bitter and hoppy while being sweet and tropical at the same time. Simply one of the best, IMO.

4.39/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours bright crisp golden yellow. Inch or so of head. Light lacing and retention.

Very tropical. Lots of fruit and sweetness. A bit dank and heavy.

Similar to nose, although more dank and resin like. Tropical fruit dominates. Light citrus. Faint malt.

Fairly easy. Never overpowering from the bigger malt profile. Drinks easy and almost a bit light.

Never got old, booze was hidden really well. Complex.

4.72/5  rDev +7.5%

11.09.12 batch

Poured in to a tulip. Slightly hazy, golden colored body. 1 finger head. Good lacing.

Aroma was crazy amounts of hops. Super danky, tropical and citrusy. Some biscuity, malty backbone, but this is hops dominant. Extremely floral.

Flavor was hop dominant. Very delicious, resinous and danky. Loads of floral, tropical and citrus hop flavors up front. Good amount of maltyness in the middle with a slightly biscuity flavor. Finished with a lingering, resinous bitterness. Grapefruity, lemony and orangey in the finish. Slight signs of ABV with a bit of alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel had a medium body, medium carb and a dry finish. Hops shined very brightly in the finish.

Overall this was amazing. Probably one of the best, more floral and pungent DIPA's I've had. Would be nice to see this one year-round.

3.98/5  rDev -9.3%

bottled 3/15/2016

kind of surprised by this one, given the ratings. its got a great bitterness on the finish, and a nice amount of carbonation to accentuate the piney character. in terms of a great fresh ipa .... ive had ipas that tasted a lot fresher. as far as a super dank ipa, ive had much much danker hahah. this beer actually left something to be desired in terms of the flavor profile. still, pretty good ... enjoy!

4.33/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 04.01.13

A – The beer pours an incredibly clear and filtered golden orange, almost the like the color of Honey. A foamy two finger head formed as I poured it into my crate and barrel snifter. The head seemed to stick around for some time eventually receding leaving behind some serious lacing.

S – The aroma of this batch is less pungent than I remember from previous examples of the beer, but it still is very citrus forward, with tones of lemon zest, fresh squeezed orange juice and the traditional pineapple an mango hints. There is a strong hop presence with this beer, as its fairly piney and resiny.

T – Huge, bitter resinous hop flavors dominate the front of the beer, followed by the citrusy components I detected in the aroma. Although delicious, this is a very bitter beer, unlike Sucks or Heady which are very tropical and citrus forward. That’s not a negative nock against the beer, just an observation. The taste finishes of very dry with slight bready malt flavors.

M – Fairly light mouth. Fairly astringent (not in a bad way) with a nice dry finish. The high abv is undetectable as I feel little to no heat from the beer.

O – This is not the first Enjoy By I’ve had as its come around my area twice now. I regret not reviewing it the first time as I thought that batch was significantly better. Part of me is really disappointed by the inconsistency I perceive from batch to batch, but the other part of me is loving the brilliance and the quality of this beer. The idea of dating the beers like this is brilliant and I will continue to buy them every chance get because I will always know how old they are without digging for the date. Well done Stone!

4.92/5  rDev +12.1%

This was the 11.12.13 vintage. Beautiful pour from a growler with a nice head. One of my favorite things when sipping this was the smell each time I put the glass near my mouth.
I have a weakness for Stone beer and consider them probably the best brewery out there. But this double IPA was as smooth tasting as if not more than the other Stone Beers I have enjoyed. Factor in that is 9.5 ABV but you do not taste the alchohol makes this a rare treat. If you have a chance to get this fresh beer, jump on it.
Please note that the 4.75 on overall instead of 5 is only due to the cost.
But hey you have to spoil yourself every now and then.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing