Enjoy By IPA | Stone Brewing

Enjoy By IPAEnjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Added by nrs207 on 08-21-2012

#225
4.4

Ratings: 10,991 |  Reviews: 1,535
4.67/5  rDev +5.9%

A- Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass, it was crystal clear with a pale honey yellow body. A frothy white 2 finger head formed to the top, with decent lacing and pretty good retention.

S- I wish I hadn’t read the reviews before tasting this… all I can think of is ONION! It’s a super hoppy assault on the nostrils with big hits of grapefruit and other citrus notes. Onion is certainly there but it really only sticks out if you think about it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s certainly not displeasing, but it does stand out.

T- Daaamn! That is one fresh, hoppy, grapefruity, beer! Stand back malt and let the hops get to work. This beer is a must try (if you can get your hands on a fresh one!) for the hop head. It’s not a grapefruit bomb as some beers are, but the freshness of the hops is absurd.

M- This beer has an optimal bitterness in my opinion. It feels just right. The body seems to be a bit lighter than I had anticipated, but not enough to detract from my enjoyment of the beer. The oils from the hops are INTENSE here (as anticipated). The instant you taste this beer the hop oils coat your whole mouth and hold on for dear life.

Overall, if you can get it TRY IT, but if you can’t you can always vote that they send their next batch to your area! I made sure to get mine as fresh as possible (bottled 5 days ago, hit my local beer store’s shelves 10 minutes before I got there) and drank it right away, if not for the novelty alone.

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

4.42/5  rDev +0.2%

Wow! I haven't been blown away by an IPA or DIPA in quite awhile. That is until Enjoy By 11-9-12. This is far and away the best Stone product I've ever had. The nose if full of incredibly ripe citrus. Grapefruit, orange, and even some pineapple and mango.

Bitter as all hell with huge hop flavors similar to the nose. Dry, light malt profile makes a perfect platform for the hops. No alcohol presence for 9.4% abv. So incredibly fresh and powerful. Solid mouthfeel and caebonation. Just a wonderful beer tat I wish was available all the time. A heavy hitter, wow!

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.86/5  rDev +10.2%

This review will be for the version with the 11.09.12 date. We're going 22 ounces split multiple ways on a Sunday afternoon. On to the beer:

The pour yields a beer which is a lighter gold, looking most resemblent to the color of cider. A small head is formed on top, and a few spots of lace are left on the glass. I figuered that the nose would say hops, cuz this is Stone and it's an IPA, but I wasn't expecting this. HOPS!! Fruity, delectable hops. I haven't looked into the hop bill of this recipe, but I want to say New Zealand hops are the majority in this one. Big fruit salad notes, also big on canteloupe, pine, passionfruit, and mango. This could be good.

For a beer with 9.4%, this beer seems much lighter than that, yet retains all the good flavor of such a strong beer. The alcohol is hidden extremely well, and flavors similar in the nose are coming out in full force in the taste; passionfruit, orange, canteloupe, sweet varieties of tropical fruits. And for such a hoppy beer, it's not bitter at all. The beer's body is medium-full, with a very smooth texture and appealing finish.

Where did this come from? And where was I in California when this was released? I was exteremly impressed with Stone on this creation. Time to set the clock when the next version will be released...

4.72/5  rDev +7%

22 oz. bottle poured into DFH signature glass. Big thanks to mrfong07 for sending this one. I can't seem to find a best by date.

A - Pours a surprisingly light straw color with two fingers of snow-white head. Perfectly clear opacity. The head dies after a few minutes, but leaves behind a great lacing.

S - This one has that pungent, almost rotten, grapefruit and hemp smell that I love. Citrus hops are in full effect. Riddled with tropical fruits. I love it.

T - Follows the nose very closely. The citrus dominates form the start followed by floral hops. Intense tropical fruits and a garlicy twang come through in the middle. Slightly tart and acidic on the back end with a big piney hop finish. Hops linger long after each sip. Mmmm.

M - Standard. Medium bodied with appropriate carbonation for the style.

O - This is a fantastic DIPA that may not appeal to everyone, but suits my palate perfectly. It has all of the qualities I look for, especially the abrasive, dank, hoppiness. Big on the citrus, tropical fruits, and hops. Additionally it has that X-factor fresh hop flavor that I love, but can't put my finger on (garlic or onion? but in a very good way). I love the idea behind this beer and I wish it would be more widely available. I hope they keep up the Enjoy By ___ series and eventually release it to my market. Why should Ohio and Colorado get all the goodness? I put it right up there with the big boys (Pliny, Heady).

Had:
11.09.12 (reviewed)
4.01.13
5.17.13
9.13.13
11.12.13
2.14.14

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%

A- Pours a bright crystal clear golden amber color with a nice white head. Head has ok retention and leaves a bit of spotty lacing.

S- Smell is resine, tons of tropical fruits and a bit of hemp smell.

T- Taste is great. Quite a bit of tropical fruits, pine, grass, and spice. A tiny caramel malt backbone that is hardly noticeable.

M- Medium in both body and carbonation.

O- I really enjoyed this brew for sure. I hope it keeps coming. Outstanding job and very easy to drink.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

4.62/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

After searching many places I was able to land 3 bottles!!

Pours out a nice bright and clear yellow/orange with a 1 finger white and fluffy head.

The aroma is full of fresh hops: mango, peach, orange, papaya and grapefruit tropical fruit notes, fresh grassy and floral notes too.

The taste is also intensely hoppy and fresh! A lot of the sweeter tropical fruit notes are up front: mango, peach, grapefruit, papaya, orange along with a nice amount of floral and grassy hop notes. There is a slight malt backbone, but not much. You can't taste or smell the alcohol at all.

The mouthfeel is pretty thin, but the mouthfeel is pretty creamy. Another great beer from Stone! I really like the idea behind this beer and pick it up if you still can!

4.87/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle 11-09-12 into a tulip.

A: Pours a clear golden orange with a 1finger off white head. Minimal retention with fair amounts lacing.

S: Smells of huge amounts of earthy spicy resinous pine.

T: Close to the nose. Huge spicy, earthy, resinous pine up front. Evolves into sweet bubblegum and malt. Fair amounts of bitterness throughout.

M: Medium body and carbonation.

O: Overall this is an amazing DIPA. Threw me for a loop, at the smell I was expecting that spicy resin hop, mid taste it evolves into this amazing bubblegum sweetness. I applaud Stone for this delicious brew and idea on drinking super fresh beer.

3.21/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured into an Allagash glass on 10/12/12

11.09.12

This is perhaps clearer than any IPA I've ever seen. The color is sort of an autumn orange with straw yellow highlights at the stem. One finger of bubbly white foam doesn't last long, leaving a soapy layer. Lace and bubbles hang across the glass.

I wouldn't have expected three days to do much damage, but the aroma isn't nearly as vibrant as when I sampled a bottle earlier in the week. While the first bottle had a wonderful, grapefruit and sugar beet aroma that was a perfect ratio of sweet citrus, the beer in my glass now has a fairly common grapefruit/pine combo and a light, biscuit/dough notion. To its credit, there nose is clean despite readily appreciable hop oils and resins. Alcohol is barely noticeable. At the risk of sounding cliche, you can smell the hops fade as you hold the glass.

The hops are a bit of a let down for the palate. Pine and prickly citrus are surprisingly one dimensional (though I hesitate to call it bland). The hops don't have the same zeal as the earlier bottle (or from the tap). Bitterness is moderately high. At least most of the flavor is still there. Thankfully, malts are sent to hiding; just some dusty biscuit and cracker notes.

The body is trim, maybe even thin, considering the style. Carbonation is rather light. While I generally like low carbonation, in this case it makes for a weak feel overall. It doesn't help that alcohol slickness trumps the hop oils.

My overall impression is that Enjoy By is pretty much a gimmick. Purposefully making a product that deteriorates rapidly and pushing distribution to get it across the country? Sounds like Stone has quit being arrogant and gone to being obnoxious. Nevertheless, sometimes gimmicks can turn out alright, which is the case here. At the very least, Stone should be commended for making a DIPA that isn't a complete sugary booze bomb.

3.67/5  rDev -16.8%

Enjoy by 11-09-12
Bomber

I have very little to say about this beer except that it was nothing special. Average beer at most and that I have plenty of better options available year round.

A- pours a murky golden color with a thin head with almost no lacing.

S-musty? Pine and resin. Pineapple and gasoline. A mix of things that do not mix well together.

T-complete pine and resin simcoe bomb. I can't taste anything else.

M-for what it's worth this is a smooth beer. Easy going down, creamy and drinkable.

O-I am glad to have tried this but I guess I was expecting something a little better. The flavor was just nothing unique. If you are going to give a beer so much hype and it's own website it needs to deliver something unique. This reminded me of a slightly more piney weyerbacher double simcoe.

4.04/5  rDev -8.4%

I gather this is the second release of the Enjoy By series. A set of beers specifically designed to be enjoyed within a month of production. I say 'set' and 'series' but the beers are all produced with the same recipe, as best as I can tell the only difference being the production date and the markets into which they are released. This is done to add a level of control over the distribution time-frame that is usually not as closely tended to. The reason for all of this attention to detail is the beer is heavily hopped in the first place and burst hopped in the second.

'What is Burst hopping' you say? Well it is the brewing practice of adding a large quantity of hops very late in the boil in order to accentuate the aromas and flavors present within the little luplin carriers. Instead of having hops at the beginning of the boil, say 60 to 90 minutes from the end, you add hops only near the last part of the boil, closer to 15 minutes before the finish, and then at the flame-out and whirlpool stages. This technique accentuates the flavors and aromas of the hops used while deriving bitterness at slightly lower levels. Stone combats this drop-off in overall bitterness by using a Super-Galena extract during the early stages of the boil.

Enough about the brewing and distribution, how about the beer? It pours (into my belled beer glass) A light gold and has a light-tan head that is not so thick as to belie a extra helping of proteins, which dissipates rather more quickly that I had hoped and leaves little lacing.

The nose is big and complex and weighed-down with alcohol. There is a bit of melon-stink (I don't really like most melon), some really-bright citrus, brown-spices like nutmeg and allspice, and maybe a hint of bubblegum. There is more but I will revisit to get into the depths. It has a freaky-big nose, and I like it.

Tastes are well-balanced bitter and sweet with a little tangy hint. The bitterness is not lacking and the sweetness is not lingering. There is a bit of dried grass that presents as I taste this ale. I notice now it is in the nose as much as the flavor but the nose is so bright and fruity that it was obscured before.

Mouthfeel is medium and the finish is a lingering, but not sweet, hop experience. It is not quite dry but attenuation is high enough not to leave a cloying experience in its wake.

There are definitely new sensations to be had in the nose, and the flavor is likewise deep and novel. This is a great beer for so many reasons: flavor, aroma, technique, and attention payed to distribution. I liked the 10 Anniversary Ruination better on a pure flavor/experiential basis but this is a great idea with so much potential that is cannot be overlooked as a harbinger of greatness-to-be (not that Stone has anything to prove, just that they have more to do).

There is a lot of beer in this beer, and that is a good thing. Flavors and aromas are abound.

Slainte!