Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Stone Enjoy By IPA | Stone Brewing

YOUR RATING = None |
Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing
California, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Added by nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Reviews: 1,425 | Ratings: 10,423
4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance is a yellow orange color with a 2 finger creamy white head.
Aroma is the best I've smelled from any beer.
So tropical and full of citrus. Tons of pineapple.
Has a bitter hop taste which I love. Fresh tasting beer.
Extremely refreshing.
This is the 12/13/13 version.
I bought 6 bottles of this and I'm glad I did.

3.88/5  rDev -11.6%

11.12.13
Stone Enjoy by 11.12.13
22oz

Pours a clear, light amber. Tight white head retains nicely. Average retention. (3.5)

Aroma is floral-hoppy, slight ester. Pear, fresh-cut grass, tropical fruit, orange. Pretty nice, though not quite as bright as I expected. Slightest bit of paper (oxidation). (3.5)

Flavor is not terribly bitter up front, but the bitterness does linger on the palate. Clean, no autolyzed yeast flavor. Sweet malt and light caramel. Heavy/dank hop flavors come through more in the flavor, as does the citrus. Simcoe funk and Amarillo grapefruit. Alcohol is apparent, but not boozy. Very drinkable for a DIPA, and quite warming. (4)

I waited until the last day this beer was "fresh" and it still tastes great, though I'm sure it would have been even better two weeks ago. I'd absolutely love it if it were a tad less sweet on the front and had more of a biscuit-not-caramel malt character. (4)

3.56/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Enjoy By 11.12.13
Appearance:
The beer pours a decent and creamy white head. The beer itself a clear orange honey color but that is slightly foggy but that may be because of the glass.

Smell:
The smell has several types of hopes. One of them appears to be floral and another appears to be closer to a grapefruit smell. The sweet malts also make an appearance. Additionally, there also appears to be a bit of fresh grass smell as well.

Taste:
Very bitter hops dominate the taste palate and finish. Additionally, there also bits of alcohol that makes its way through. The malt makes a slight appearance but the hops are so bitter that it's hard to make it out.

Mouthfeel:
Very thick and heavy bodied. The finish feels heavy and lasts a bit that does not give it a very good feel.

Overall:
An okay DIPA under some circumstances but does not really do anything for me. Maybe I'll have to drink one of these earlier than the expiration date. Some people might like the Enjoy be a certain date DIPA gimmick but I'm not one of them.

3.63/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Beautiful pour from 22oz into pub glass. Golden Color nice lacing and decent head. Complex hops on the nose citrus and some onion dank like pleasant fresh smell. Heavy alcohol mouthfeel. No real carbonation. A sweaty strong too bitter unbalanced finish which is the only part of this I didn't love. Really don't understand the devotion to this series as its not Stone's best. Stone Ruination IPA even thought higher in IBU finishes so much cleaner than this.

4.27/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Update. 12/25/15 version.

Haven't had this in a while so thought I'd get it again. Not sure if my palate has changed that much, but this isn't the same beer I remember. It's still good, but just not the citrusy tropical bomb I remember.

What an awesome beer. Had this twice. Last one was the 11/12/13 batch. Crisp, clean, tropical and just outstanding. From memory, appearance was clear as you expect from stone. Aroma and taste all tropical hop goodness, just what I look for in an IPA. As of today this beer tops my list.

3.74/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Stone balloon glass. 7-04-15 edition.

Look: The beer is a clear rich honey color. An eggshell colored head recedes to a thick soapy film. Random light lacing on the glass.

Aroma: The beer seems to have a nice malt backbone, but that is immediately covered in spicy hops. There's hints of dry cedar, and only maybe some onion, but the onion note seems to be a non-issue. Dry, spicy, earthy hops in the finish.

Taste: Much like the aroma but midway through very bitter grapefruit rind emerges. There is a lot of dry, spicy heat from the alcohol content. Finishes really bitter.

Mouthfeel: Pretty heavy. This is a sipper for sure.

Overall, I updated my review to the latest batch. There was little or no onion element to this beer unlike the last one I had which was 11-12-13 edition. This is a good bitter, thick, strong IPA.

4.31/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 22 oz bottle into tulip glass. The 11/12/13 batch.

A: Pours a beautiful light golden color. Crystal clear with 1-2 finger off white head. Some lacing.

S: Massive fruity hops. Grapefruit, pineapple, oranges.

T: Slightly sweet with big fruity hops. Citrus flavors are prominent with a nice bitterness.

M: Nice body. Refreshing with a nice bitter finish.

O: Really nice IPA. Really excited that I got a chance to grab a bottle, and even more so that 12/13/13 is coming to Alabama.

4.92/5  rDev +12.1%

This was the 11.12.13 vintage. Beautiful pour from a growler with a nice head. One of my favorite things when sipping this was the smell each time I put the glass near my mouth.
I have a weakness for Stone beer and consider them probably the best brewery out there. But this double IPA was as smooth tasting as if not more than the other Stone Beers I have enjoyed. Factor in that is 9.5 ABV but you do not taste the alchohol makes this a rare treat. If you have a chance to get this fresh beer, jump on it.
Please note that the 4.75 on overall instead of 5 is only due to the cost.
But hey you have to spoil yourself every now and then.

4.89/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This Enjoy By 11/12/2013 deserves my first beer review.
A: poured into a IRS 17 oz. glass. Amber color with little foam. Nice lacing.
S: strong hops but also really fruity,
T: hoppy as expected, but the presence of tropical fruits balance out the bitterness. Finish smooth and tasty.
M: Smooth with the bitterness and sweetness lingering
O: Very good beer, a must-try IPA if you are wondering what IPA is. Once you had it, you will probably find others to compare. My favorite IPA beer so far.

4.26/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: a yellowish orange color. good clarity. a half finger of an off white head. doesn't last too long.

Smell: super fruity hops , mango and grapefruit. slightly resiny but very strong hops

Taste: hops as expected. mango. grapefruit. resin. slightly sweet pretty bitter

Mouthfeel: smooth, slightly warm from alcohol. some bitterness but not overbearing.

Overall: definitely a good DIPA. worth a shot if you get and possibly even more. i like the huge hop fruitiness

4.31/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bought this a few weeks back down at Joe Canal's in Woodbridge. It was behind glass, so I had a feeling that this was pretty special since they had to open up the case to get one for me. Seeing that 11/12/13 is next week, I did enjoy this by its due date and eagerly anticipated the freshness of this. While I thought that the hype turned out to be a bit much for this, I enjoyed this beer and the easy drinkability of this, given how high the alcohol was. It was much smoother than I thought and went down easily, even though I split the bottle with a good friend of mine!

Nice pour to this, as this beer had a crisp golden hue, fluffy head, and lacing that made its mark ring after foamy ring. Lots of earthy, herbal hops and "stink" in the nose, making me think that this was a beer from Green Flash. Then came the taste - soapy, buttery, and sneakily smooth. The hops were recessed but present here as more floral notes predominated. This was so strong but went down so easily and although the taste wasn't immediately addictive, it grew on me. It was a bit like tea, in that the minty notes took a while to grow on me but they soothed at the same time. This certainly felt and tasted fresh from start to finish, as if I had this on tap and not out of a bottle.

Strong, this was but this certainly did not feel it. Downing a whole bottle will make you woozy but with the appeal and bitterness of a Troegs Nugget Nectar combined with a rich array of sensual aspects and a chocolate-chili type aftertaste, there's a ton to like here. This was so clean and crisp that it misled me into thinking that it was an American Amber but alas, it's just an IPA that lives up to the "Imperial" moniker. Loads to love here, even without the date on the bottle. This was one beer that you'll want to drink as soon as you get your hands on it!

4.37/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a deviation from my normal reviewing style because I wrote the following in a thread about your personal favorite beer (please read edit at end):

It's a crystal clear pale amber with a bounteous white head of tight bubbles. Just gorgeous to look at! The aroma is what I would imagine heaven would smell like, with wave after wave of wild flowers, tropical fruits (mango, passion fruit, pineapple, papaya), peaches, citrus (tangerine, grapefruit), lemon-grass, FRESH dank hops, and just enough caramel malt to keep it balanced. Almost every time I drink this I have trouble taking the last sip because I know I won't be able to smell it anymore if I do! Then you have the flavor, which, unlike many top rated DIPAs, actually delivers what you smelled with just as much punch, with even more complexity and balance to boot! Every aroma noted is present in the taste in a big way at some point, with additional flavors such as onion grass (a surprising but pleasant addition), a big malt backbone in the middle (but not so big as to take away from the plentiful fresh hops that are on display), and a mild to moderate bitter hop bite at the finish (may be moderate to heavy for some people, but with all the hop bombs I've had it doesn't feel like a ton to me!). This beer is just perfectly balanced, and quite frighteningly drinkable at 9.4%! I could drink this all day every day if it was available and I was rich enough to not have to work! =P

edit - After the last 2 batches available in NJ were just nowhere near as good as the first 3 I had I felt it necessary to alter my scores from the perfect 5s across the board that I had given it. Please realize that I felt those first 3 batches deserved that score, but inconsistency has made me change my mind. I hope they can match the brilliance that was those earlier batches in the future!

4.97/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a 16 oz pint glass
A: Nothing really special, poured a nice golden-pale color with around .25" of head and left behind some nice lacing.
S: Very aromatic, luscious tropical fruits and grapefruits, but with a strong hop bite. I love smelling this beer.
T: Initial strong hop flavor with the perfect amount of sweetness to balance it out. And then the tropical fruits come in. I got some juicy pineapple flavors and oodles of grapefruit.
M: Light carbonation with a medium body. Somehow i could not taste the 9.4 abv at all.
O: My favorite beer I have ever tried. I had high expectations going in and it exceeded those expectations. It was so perfectly balanced, I was in heaven

4.21/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy by 11.12.13

Poured into a DFH snifter.

Beautiful golden color. Very opaque.

It is a fantastic tasting DIPA. Very nice hop bitterness bite. Very citrusy. It tastes magnificent. It is a tremendous balance of bitterness and malts.

Consistent mouthfeel through the entire bomber. Very similar in mouthfeel to ruination.

Overall this is a fantastic beer. Please seek this one out if you are a fan of west coast DIPA's. It is utterly amazing. Kudos to Stone.

4.47/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great beer!!! Beside The Heady Topper, I consider this the best double IPA. This has a great smell to it. A beer you just want to take your time with an enjoy the taste. I can drink this beer all day. Stone makes some great beers. I thinks this is the best of there beers...

Above is what I wrote when I first had this beer. That was over 2 years ago. Lately the beer has become a Piney west coast IPA. I think the quality has changed for the worse. Still a good beer but not the way I remember it being.

4.74/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Tried this quite a few times in the bottle but was lucky enough to get it on tap at the awesome Gramercy Tavern in NYC.

Appearance: A beautiful golden orange color with a thin white head. A very refreshing look to it in which I couldn't wait to dive in. Didn't appear too heavy on the carbonation but it made it's presence known.

Smell: Strong citrus hops notes of grapefruit, possibly a slight pineapple smell to it. Very pleasant.

Taste: First sip hits the palette with the taste of citrus...heavy grape fruit barely noticing the alcohol. Finishes smooth and clean on the tongue making me anticipate my next sip.

Mouthfeel: Hop oils sit on the tongue leaving a nice aftertaste that hides the alcohol. It really seemed more like a mid range ipa as far as alcohol and not on the level it contains.

Overall: I'm a big fan of Stone and this is by far my favorite brew of theirs right next to the double dry hopped Ruination. Very pleased.

3.44/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Intrigued to try this one. The price point is tough to swallow, but I'm not regretting the plunge (yet). 11-12-13 version.

Poured into a goblet. Pours a nice cloudy orangy-yellow with very little carbonation. The head quickly disappears, even with a vigorous pour. Small amount of lacing.

Pleasant, surprisingly mellow aroma. The hop profile already seems a bit muddled, not quite sure what it wants to be. I'm having trouble teasing out anything distinctive.

The flavor gets a little more specific, with a rich apricot and mild pineapple flavor at the forefront. The alcohol has a decent bite, and borders on harsh. Usually I like this- here the booze tasted a little like it was spiked with a cheap vodka. It simply wasn't compatible.

The mouthfeel was surprisingly sticky, yet wicked dry. I don't really know what to make of it. I guess it slightly compliments the flavor profile, but it's not particularly pleasant in and of itself.

I don't want to call this a complete disappointment. But it's a beer that doesn't really know what it wants to be. It's dry, yet finishes sticky and a little sweet. The hop profile is slightly all over the place- some may call this "complex," but out of a world class IPA, I expect an identity. This is a nicely-made, well-rounded, strong-flavored, yet ultimately boring IPA.

11.12.13

Let me start by saying I absolutely LOVED this beer. I had it on tap at Falling Rock in Denver, CO. The keg ran out as he was pouring it, so he tapped a new one, so I got the first pour out of a keg.

It was a dark copper, but was completely transparent, not murky like a lot of IPAs. This also was so hoppy and bitter. My girlfriend had a pint of Russian RIver Blind Pig, and when comparing the 2, Enjoy By blows BP out of the water.

I would recommend this beer to anyone who enjoys solid IPAs or DIPAs.

Very citrusy taste, extra hoppy. That's why I loved it.

4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

Enjoy By 11.12.13 (bottled 10.04.13, drank on 10.27.13 - just over 3 weeks old) fridge temp poured into a snifter.

Pours out a nice golden color, almost light orange. West coast IPA color. Very good clarity. Holds a decent white head, pretty good sticky lacing.

Holy aroma! Initially it's big juicy tropical fruits, pineapple, mango. As it warms some vegetal hops comes out. Dank all over, a bit catty.

All about the hops. Vegetal, juicy tropical fruits, dank, grapefruit citrus, nearly a little bit of everything from the hops. No real malt detectable both in the taste and aroma. Not an overly aggressive bitterness, just about right.

Quite light in the mouthfeel, makes very a very drinkable and enjoyable DIPA, very west coast like.

Quite an outstanding DIPA, up there with the best IMO. Can't drink enough of this.

4.44/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 11/12/13.

Appearance: Pale honey with good clarity and an off-white cap of foam.

Aroma: A hop bouquet of tropical fruits, with an emphasis on mango, and just a hint of dank hop juice. It has that great almost musty aroma that is synonymous with west coast IPAs, in my opinion.

Taste: This one definitely has the 'it' factor. The flavor begins with some crisp piney bitterness up front that morphs into a tropical ride for your palate. The hop character hits the perfect mix of pine, west coast fruits, and that touch of dankness that all the great IPAs balance so well. Speaking of balance, the malt is basically nonexistent here--which works in its favor. The 9.4% ABV is likely what is keeping the hops in line, but it is very hard to detect any alcohol presence. The 88 IBUs really make the most of their power, diminishing slightly in the finish before blasting through to echo around in the aftertaste for a very long time. It's not difficult to enjoy this one.

Mouthfeel: Just below medium in body which is quite a feat for an imperial brew. The carbonation keeps things lively but is just a tad excessive (nothing a vigorous pour can't fix). Suburb drinkability which is dangerous given the ABV but makes taking down a bomber no problem.

Final Thoughts: I was lucky enough to try an earlier batch of Enjoy By on-tap in Colorado in a flight next to PtE a couple months ago and Enjoy By was the better of the two (albeit by a narrow margin). The lack of malt flavor makes this beer even more impressive because there are no detectable flaws in the flavor and it seems to be consistent from one batch to the next. The Enjoy By series proves that Stone gets it. They understand that the consumer wants a fresh product, which means a lot coming from such a large brewery that doesn't need to be doing this kind of thing to survive in the vastly expanding craft beer industry. I have the utmost respect for Stone because they have respect for the consumer. The fact that Enjoy By is such a fantastic IPA is just the icing on the cake in this situation. Would I drink it again? Yes, anytime I can get my hands on it.

4.61/5  rDev +5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22 oz. bottle purchased at Cleveland Park Wine and Liquors on Connecticut Ave. in NW D.C., unknown bottling date but enjoy by 11/12/13, poured into my The Bruery "Rue the Day" glass dated 15 June 2013, drank 10/25/13 over an hour.

A: 3/3 - golden-orange coloration, impressive clarity as per usual for a Stone IPA (can both see or read through), initial soapy white head dissipates into subtle glass lacing, moderate alcohol legs which re-agitates the carbonation on swirling

S: 11/12 - as expected from a Stone IPA, there's heavy citrus fruit - grapefruit, pineapple and apricot - hop character likely from "C" hops; as the beer warms, some dank piney-resiny aromas punch through; pils malt character in the background for balancing but the hops totally shine through in the aroma, which is most impressive because this bottle shipped across the U.S. and was kept at RT behind the shelf in the store!

T: 18/20 - on the anterior tongue, tropical/citrus fruit like bitterness predominates; it the middle of the mouth, the bitterness continues to linger with some pils balance and muted alcohol flavors; finishes drier than the already-dry Stone IPAs; aftertaste is a pleasant citrus flavor that invites sip after sip...after sip (if I had more!)

M: 4/5 - moderate body with resiny hop oils sitting on the tongue tongue, the alcohol is present but I definitely don't get 9.4% ABV; impressively high carbonation for a ~10% imperial IPA that does not detract from the flavor profile

O: 9/10 - another major win from Mitch Steele and hop bursting; as much as I enjoy RuinTen, I think that this one even surpasses it; it reminds me a lot of Founders Double Trouble, and it's up there with the best DIPAs in the world (HT, PtE, Abrasive et al.); I have had an older version in the greater D.C. area but I don't recall it being this great; I'm excited to brew a huge modified hop burst DIPA with Amarillo, Bravo, Centennial, Citra and Zythos after this beer has whet my appetite; and, for $9.99 in an expensive beer city like D.C., I cannot think of a better beer bargain in the DMV; please come back to us soon!

TOTAL = 45/50

4.08/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Drinking 10.25.13 on 10.25.13.
I do as I'm told... this time.

Appearance: Bright clarity, almost transparent infusing the light with a golden hue. Holds a cover and collar of bright white foam that leaves spotty curtain lacing behind.

Smell: Hop oils, citric and pine, almost to a burning g intensity. Get a hint o bread yeast (does Stone have a house yeast?) and just a hint of sugary base. This may burn a bit.

Taste: Full juicy hops are bitter, citric, pine, pineapple, grapefruit extract; just the glory of a fresh hop cone. The base malt high as much as possible without being absent. White bread, cracker dry malt seems to be the white wall the dripping green hop vines have been splattered against. The end story is the upper limit of hop bitterness just before it starts to eat through the glass.

Mouthfeel: Heavy body, almost sparkling carbonation crops off to leave a heavy lasting coat of hop oil that dries and strongly encourages the next sip.

Overall: They heard you like hops.

4.44/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This stuff is great. First time I've ever had the enjoy by IPA. Nice amber color. Very clear. Nice citrus smell and the taste...awesome nice bitter punch in the mouth with a full pineapple orange grapefruit flavor. Excellent beer. Get it quick. I was told once it's gone, it's gone.

4.29/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

11.12.13 reviewed here

A- Ok, orange-yellow with negligible head. Decent lacing.

SMELL
Citrus, slight pine. Smells fresh.

TASTE
slight citrus w equally slight malt backbone. Hoppy & bitter with dry finish. No alcohol aftertaste despite high abv.

MOUTHFEEL
Medium bodied, smooth bitter hop bomb.

NOTES
Drinkable even at 9.4% (had 3). Wow! Get it while you can. Fresh IPA defined.

Poured into an 12 oz wine glass at the Pourhouse, Westmont, NJ.

4.91/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- Poured into a tulip glass with a copper orange color with a white head.

S- Loads of hops citrus and grapefruit with pines.

T- The taste is very similar to the scent of this beer. Lots of hops citrus and grapefruit pines.

M- Good carbonation pretty smooth, hops on the palate.

O- Overall this is by far my favorite IPA or double IPA quite possibly my favorite beer overall.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing