Stone Enjoy By IPA | Stone Brewing

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Added by nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Reviews: 1,445 | Ratings: 10,565
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Appearance- Super clear pale orange, great head retention with plenty of laceing
Smell- Huge hop blast before you even get your nose to the glass, the smell is incredible, huge cascade citrus, a little pine, somewhat candylike sweetness. not malty at all
Taste- amazing dry hop flavor up front, very citrusy and fruity, a pleasantly strong bitterness that is very intense but not crushing, malt is pretty laid back and does just enough to support the hops with a pleasant grainy flavor. warming alcohol comes through in the end.
mouthfeel- good carbonation
Overall- This beer is incredible, it drinks as easy as a single ipa, but packs a hop punch that is amazingly intense and yet not too bitter.

4.69/5  rDev +6.8%

Bomber poured into a tulip
Enjoy by 12-21-12
Enojyed on 11-28-12

A- Pours cristal clear golden orange/yellow. A one finger of a white head. Slight alcohol legs.

S- Holy hops! A massive citrus. Pineapple and lime and pinecone like you cant believe. All extenuated by a slightly sweet malt backbone.

T- A sharp bitterness up front that fades quickly to a semisweet malt backbone. Hop flavors take over and dominate the beer. A ton of citrus notes, Pineapple, lemon, lime, grapefruit, papaya. A strong pinecone flavor. Not much of a malt backbone, this beer is hop forward obviously. Although this beer isn't thick or bold flavored, the alcohol presence is hidden quite well.

M- A lighter body for 9.4. Not as bitter as other stone IPA's. Easy drinking and slightly warming.

O- This beer is genius! It shows off the potential of fresh beers. A unique flavor, especially unique to bottles. Get some!

4.69/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- poured a very light orange - practically see through,and about a finger width head that ended up dissolving. Medium lacing.
S- HOLY SHIT!! A hop bomb explosion to say the least. right away you get super piney/floral notes followed by citrus.West coast style all the way.Just by smelling this you know you're getting a very fresh beer. I've never smelled a beer this fragrant.
M- a medium bodied brew, not too thick and not too thin. Just right for this type of beer.
O- a phenomenal beer. A true hop explosion. Long live the enjoy by series.

4.69/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22oz bomber. Enjoy by 12/26/14 batch. Poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale yellow with slight haze and 1 finger of head

Smell: Fruity hops

Taste: Very pungent and can only be simply described as dank, a lot of resin and grapefruit notes with pine and citrus, and frankly hoppy as hell

Mouthfeel: Medium and just right, the dry finish just begs for another sip

Overall: A fantastic beer. I don't care what people say of the hype or marketing, I commend Stone for enjoy by and the fact that I received this beer within a week of it being bottled in San Diego and I live in Louisiana currently just makes me a happy customer. Such a great, fresh double IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Meet the new boss... 9.13.13

A: CLEAR! Must have been filtered, nice head which dissipates with not too much lacing (I reckon due to the strong hopping)

S: Wow. First IPA I've ever tried that made me think WEED more than Heady Topper. Outstanding

T: Again, incredible dank/citrus hops with minimal malt backing (just enough, thank you Stone for not being too sweet!), complex and I think I like this even better than Heady Topper which is the highest praise I can think of

M: Excellent, not too thick or sweet considering the ABV

O: Maybe the best IIPA on earth

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured into Dogfish spiegelau glass. Enjoy by 4/20/14 - Best Day Ever!

Appearence is a great transparent honey color. Aroma is one of the best DIPA smells around. Great balance of citrus , sweetness - maybe honey, slight pine and floral features. Taste is incredible and follows the nose. This release tastes even better than I remeber the last one being. Buy them all!!

Update - Enjoy by 7/04/14

Super floral - even more so than the 4/20 release. Still delicious, but a little dryer than I remember.

4.69/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Yellow-orange. I could care less about appearance, so unless it's really beautiful or really ugly, it will get the average of the other ratings. Who drinks a beer for appearance anyway?

S - Pine, citrus, and something very unique most likely from the Nelson Sauvin hops I know they used to dry hop this. This is probably the best beer I have smelled.

T - It has all the hop taste you would expect from Stone and doesn't taste anywhere near 9.4%, but it doesn't match up to the smell. I homebrew and I've used Nelson Sauvin. When I first smelled it I thought it was going to be the best hop ever, but I personally like the taste of Citra and Centennial better. In fact, I just had to drop the taste rating down a little (9-4-13) because that Nelson Sauvin aftertaste comes out even more when it isn't dead fresh, no wonder they put it right on the label to enjoy by a month after bottling. At this point, I'd probably rather have a Ruination.

M - Smooth and dry, almost too dry, and I like dry beers. Again, I can't believe this is a 9.4% beer.

O - This is the big dog and of course I'm drinking the 09.09.13 iteration as I write this review.

4.69/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours slightly hazy golden color with 2 finger width foamy head. Head retention is good. Lacing is quite good. Deep fresh, citrus aroma. Very appealing. Nice hop forward bitterness, piney, with a slight citrus maltiness and great fresh, bitter, resin aftertaste. Slightly soapy and astringent. Very good and fresh beer.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Enjoy By 4.20.13 opened a few days ago.

A: Holy shit. The first thing I noticed was the clarity of this beer! It looks like a macro lager! A deep golden color with a solid white head. This beer could be used in billboards. This is what perfect IPAs look like in my head.
S: A blend of tropical fruits and pine resin. Fresh mango, peach, pineapple. Lots of citrus (orange, grapefruit, lemon). *Smelled very boozy towards the end. That was my fault though, I got distracted for a bit and let it warm up more than I wanted. Still great though.
T: Huge hop bite! Citrus and pine flavors blend together perfectly. Some nice toasted malts to hold up those hops. Ends with a resinous bitterness that doesn't linger too long, just right. Alcohol is very well hidden.
M: Light/medium bodied. Nice, medium carbonation. Great for the style.
O: A relatively easy to find, widely distributed IIPA that happens to be one of the best I've tried? Yes that sounds like a winner to me.

4.68/5  rDev +6.6%

This beer pours a clean, golden color with a thick, modest-in-size head. A steady stream of carbonation is visible pouring from the bottom of my tulip glass. Pretty standard for a DIPA... nothing to hint at any distinctive qualities.

The smell is where this beer starts to get interesting: awesomely complex for an IPA. Usually, even in "sweeter" IPAs, the hops really dominate the smell but in Stone's Enjoy By, there is a wonderful mix of citrus flavors fused with the Hops. Scent is thick; I can tell that this is going to be an intense beer flavor-wise. Easily one of the best smelling beers I've ever had.

The taste is complex. Right off the bat I get fruity notes; first sweet... some lemon, mango mix then bitter fruits... BIG grapefruit taste accompanied by orange rind. It is on the back end of the sip that you get hit by the hop flavor. While this doesn't pack the hop punch of Ruination (also by Stone), the sheer amount of juiciness and flavor in this beer MORE than makes up for the decreased bitterness (which I happen to love).

This beer continues to stand out in the mouthfeel. The thickness; dare I say "chewiness" reminds me of something like Founder's Double Trouble (to be reviewed in the near future) and that is a very, very good thing. Great fullness in the body of this beer which compliments the fruitiness that is on showcase. Maybe not the most drinkable beer in the world but beers this flavorful rarely are. A good amount of carbonation rounds this beer out.

For $6.99, I thought this was a great deal but maybe that was in light of my [unfortunate] trend towards buying more expensive bottles of beer lately. Bottom line, was easily one of the best beers I've ever tried and possibly my favorite.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: 12.25.15 - enjoyed on 12.7.15. Pours a beautiful, clear orange-amber copper with a huge, frothy white head and great lacing.

Aroma: Full of tropical fruit, dank piney hops, and citrus (guava and slight grapefruit). The sweet malt is apparent in the aroma as well, but comes out more in the taste.

Taste: Phenomenal and full of piney hops, tropical fruit, and citrus with the sweet malt rounding out the profile towards the end.

Feel: Medium carbonation, extremely smooth and drinkable. Excellent west coast IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.20.16 had on 4.20.16 bottled on 3.14.16.

Wow, what a beer! I have not had the Enjoy by 4.20. It sells out fast around here. Now I can see why. The hops are perfectly displayed-pineapple, mango, orange, tangerine, grapefruit. I thought the pine and dank were in line with the rest of the hop's flavor components. The grapefruit and subtle resin kick up in the finish, lingering just a bit. The overall bitterness is moderate at best. It starts low and slow, peaking in the finish. But even the finishing bitterness is mellow enough that you don't think twice about going in for another sip. The hoppy bitterness is softened by pleasantly sweet, and light bready malts. There is some caramel in the malt as well. The malt is always present providing the perfect balance needed for a world class beer, which this beer is. I really enjoy the body of this brew too, smooth and slightly coating/creamy. Alcohol is well covered, which makes this a dangerous beer. All of this contributes to a well balanced, harmonious, super drinkable brew. If you have the opportunity, don't pass on it. This is truly a must have if you are an IPA fan.

Enjoy By – 4.20.13
Enjoyed – 3.20.13

A – Transparent light copper color. Head is of course thin, but has nice lacing.

S – Hoppy goodness, lots of citrus here, fresh lemon and lime, grapefruit, and a bit of melon.

T – Nicely bitter, good fruit notes, not overly sweet, which is certainly enjoyable.

M – Nicely carbonated, very smooth and refreshing. ABV is undetected.

O – Great IIPA, seriously, freshness matters and drinking this just five days after bottling is awesome. This one has no cloying malt sweetness, it has a nice, juicy, clean hop profile, and is highly drinkable.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Enjoy By 04.01.13. Big bottle into a wine glass.

Forget color.

The smell is clean, clean hops -- sweet and bright, floral and tropical. I get passionfruit, and I love it.

The taste doesn't surprise after the nose. Really traditional west coast DIPA flavors -- pine, citrus, flowers, and tropical fruits -- plus that really well-rounded, full-bodied sort of completeness that you get in the Plinys. That mega-hoppiness without being too top-heavy on the flavor spectrum. Full, complete, round, balanced, etc. All those words that reflect that sense you get that this may be the best style of beer there is.

And then there's this little kick, this dryness that let's you know that, yup, it's still Stone. You know how Stone feels. In sum, I'm really glad that they have made a big, wet DIPA that's pretty much the Platonic Form of the style while remaining unmistakably theirs.

I'm getting to the bottom of this bottle, and the bitterness is starting to take hold, but I was ready for it. The gnar builds. If you can, drink a whole bottle -- it's worth witnessing the change.

Music Pairing: The Cure -- Disintegration

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this puppy on tap at bottle revolution in Raleigh NC. Was so much better than I remembered.

Appearance- Beautiful sunset orange with lots of bubbles streaming up to the top with about a half finger of egg white head that disappeared quickly. Awesome.

Smell- Wow. This is amazing. Smells like I'm sticking my nose in a bag of tropical fruits and hops. What I get is hops, mango, peach, grapefruit, slight bread malty notes. Just epic smells.

Taste. Holy crap this is so much more fruit-forward than the October 2013 version. Follows the nose precisely. Tastes like hopped up fruit juice. Just an amazing, and probably my favorite IPA currently.

Mouthfeel- Super carbinated and drinks dangerously well for a 9.4 % beer.

Overall- This is easily Stone's best beer. And that's saying a lot. Amazing.

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Ive had almost every release in bottles in CA

A: Pure golden, pale, clear
S: When totally fresh, a few days after bottling, its the best aroma there is. So much heady pine, tropical fruit, citrus, marijuana, grass, nectar
T: Again, within a few days after release the taste is close to the smell. Its a bit less complex then I'd like. Hits you almost all up front and then dissipates.
M: Pretty good here. Its not as full bodied as I'd like but its good enough to deliver the juice.

O: When very fresh its equal to any of the other big IIPA's. Aroma is the best of all of them IMO. Taste and mouthfeel maybe not as good as others but its close.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2/14/14 Delicious with a excellent balance between hops and malts. The nose is great super floral with hints of pine and citrus, excellent flavor notes of citrus, pine, slight tropical fruit with a light malt backbone finishes super clean the "enjoy by" just keeps getting better and better every release!

4.68/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- Golden yellow and crystal clear. White head that fades leaving some thin lacing.

S- Wow. Dank as hell. Citrus, mango, pine. This is what a West Coast IPA should smell like.

T- A hop bomb in the best possible way. Grapefruit, tropical fruits, pine. Slightly bitter. Very slight alcohol taste but the 9.4% is well masked.

M- Medium body with a bitter/dry finish. Decent carbonation.

O- Outstanding. Ranks among the best DIPA's I've tasted.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

No clue how I've had 4-5 of these and never reviewed.

I love this beer. Every 3-4 months a new one comes out and it's just as amazing as the last and always so fresh. I'm sure I'm spoiled as some people can't seem to get it often enough.

A firm pour provides a modest bit of foam, I don't expect much lacing given the head. Crystal clear (too much so but it's crazy fresh) with a dark golden orange head. This looks a bit darker than their normal IPAs but not much.

The nose is HUGE full of citrus grape fruit and just intense grape fruit rines. The level of dryness is mind blowing, this is going to be amazing.

A complex blend of just explosive hops, I mean these are just off their rocker. A massive sucker punch of grape fruit, tangerine, mango, and god knows what else come at you like a thunder bolt. the beer is sweet, but hell if I could tell you anything about the malt. The hops start a billionth of a second after the first taste and they don't let up, period.

The beer drinking surprisingly light, the hop body and bite mixed with such a clean carbonation makes this amazingly easy to drink. The hops just ripping your tongue apart are the only thing to remind you this might be a high abv beer.

I'm not sure if the balance and blend of perfect malts with perfect hops happens here. It just misses on the most elite of elite ipa's but I'm splitting hairs here.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Never had this series until now. 4/20/2016 IPA series.

OHH MMYY
Gold color
You can smell the Hops before you pop the top. OK not really.......
At first taste "crisp" would be the word. Hoppy?? Oh yes !!
Easy to drink ..which is dangerous at 9.7 % but HEY ! I'm not driving right now, so be it !!

Stone ..... In my subjective opinion, the beer made it to NJ still crisp fresh hoppy and drinkable.
AND for 9.7 and be drink-able?? I'll bet at the staff meeting the beer masters went:
"We're gonna get a few people toasted on this" HEHEHEHEHEHheheheh"

And ... And ...
4-20-2016 ??

COME ON man !!! Really........ 4/20 ?!!?!!!
Some dudes just bought it because it just says 4/20 (LOL!)

ANYWAY
Asking for the "feel " of the beer like in my other reviews is still personal !! IMHO

Continued Good brewing from these gentlemen...
And that's my review

Djkman

4.67/5  rDev +6.4%

The 4-20-2014 batch enjoyed from a tulip brandy glass.

A - Upon pouring from the bottle, a thick white head developed, but dissipated quickly. Body is an agreeable amber hue with no haziness.

S - Cantaloupe, citrus, honey-sweetness

T - First comes a wave of citrus - Meyer lemon immediately comes to mind. Then, a hearty malt backbone with berry-like sweetness on the center of the tongue. Some onion and savory flavors follow, especially as the beer warms up. However, the savory notes never become overbearing. Aftertaste is residual bitterness and pine all over the palette.

M - Creamy mouthfeel to counteract everything else going on in the beer. Perhaps a tad over-carbonated at first sip, but that mellows out over time.

O - Stone really does this beer right. Although I think it is best enjoyed on-tap, the bottle is one of the best to be had at the local package store. It does age quickly, so heed the advice on the label.

look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love this beer, I had the 4.20 last year and was just blown away, what really grabs my attention is the after taste and the over all freshness behind this beer. This year's 2.14 is amazing too, not quite the 4.20 to me though, but that might just be my palette changing over a year. Stone brewery does it again.

4.67/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I am super excited for this beer... One of my favorite breweries making my favorite style super fresh, and it only comes every few months. I had the pleasure of having the 12.21.12 but didn't have a BA account at the time, so I am looking forward to reviewing it.

Enjoy By 04.01.13: It pours an absolutely gorgeous, and perfectly translucent copper tinged gold with tons of effervescing bubbles and a thick, light head. The smell is simply staggering; lemon, orange, grapefruit, tons of pine and hops, sweet mango and pineapple. Traces of malt. It really is an amazing smell; breathe long and deep. The taste is a wave of citrus and hops. Tons of lime and orange peel, buttery caramel, lingering grapefruit and hops left on the palate, slightly peppery. Everything you want out of a good IPA is here. Perfect amount of boozey heat for 9+%. Mouthfeel is smooth and the carbonation really helps bring the flavor to life and accentuates the pepper and citrus. Balanced, amazingly hoppy, a great aroma, this is definitely my favorite beer from stone, and one of my favorites of all time.

Enjoy By 09.13.13: I was afraid I was going to rehype this too much for myself, and set myself up for disappointment, but it was just as good as I remember it. Amazing beer, and the smell is simply exquisite. Freshest hops of any brew I can think of.

Enjoy by 4-20-14
Still the pick of the Spring for moi. So tasty.
Dropped in a Bomber Bottle at 7.99 $ per. It's a the deal of the day.

Pours out golden with a very light haze. BIg head that recedes quickly.

Aroma is piney, citrus notes with pineapple.

Palette is crisp. Light (well. Lighter for a medium body)

Taste is not as heavy on the pine as last year but big fruit. Pineapple, orange with a welcomed lingering bitter bite on the back end.

Abv at 9.4% is well balanced. Perhaps a touch of bite on the initial taste.

4.67/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I have had this previously. Written this full review based on 4-20-14 version. Note: Additions made based on 12-26-14 version.

A - Copper orange clear pour with a frisky white head that forms and fades fairly quickly, leaving behind extensive lacing.

S - Full frontal hops here. Smacks the nose up with a big resin core, pine front with citrus hints, but with danker notes, too. The fruit is more forward in some versions (e.g. 12-26-14) and not in others (e.g., 4-20-14). Given the hop explosion, a few of the darker elements of a hop bomb sometimes float up, too (cat urine in the 4-20 version), but well in control, and always second to the fruit and pine.

T - Where the smell leads, but without all the random hop cacophony. The taste is controlled with its explosive power. This hop bomb pulls no punch, offers no quarter. It is bitter and proud. But the pine, hop resin, and grapefruit pith are all tied to a fine malt backbone that levels things out and allows the explosion to go off without wrecking things. A nice trick. Bright notes come to a sweeter middle mark as the malt comes in with its cracker and sugar notes, closing with a wicked hook back to hop bitterness, which builds but does not crush the palate.

M - Crisp, moderate carbonation, but with some drying that builds as you drink. Still, given the nature of the brew, this is a very easy beer to drink. Dropping nearly 10% ABV in the process, the alcohol is essentially hidden until you feel it.

O - When I picked up this offering for the first time, I'd never had a true blue IPA or DIPA. This opened my eyes, and so wins major points for its role. But the beer holds up to the high initial rating I gave it because it delivers on its promise. A big, bold hop celebration, to be drunk quickly but not forgotten. Well worth the price.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing