Stone Enjoy By IPA | Stone Brewing

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Added by nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Reviews: 1,428 | Ratings: 10,472
3.75/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is quite a beer. The smell is fresh dank piney grapefruit hops. Some noticable onion smell. The taste is a bit sweet wih some bitter citrus. Very flavorful and the alcohol is well hidden. nb

3.77/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a lager-clear golden color with a quickly attenuating off-white head. The nose is comprised of BIG citrus and pine. Once the beer settles, hop resin breaks through. The mouthfeel is peculiar and affected more than I like by the flavor. Mouthfeel should accentuate the flavor, the flavor shouldn't molest the mouthfeel. When first pulled into the mouth, there's a pleasing fullness that quickly is overtaken by the harsh hop burn and sting of carbonation for which Stone is so famous/infamous. Strong, resiny pine flavor that is, oddly enough, balanced with the grain bill. I'm not sure how much grain it would require to balance this hop assault, but they've figured it out. Another disappointment for me. Stone is just not in my wheelhouse.

3.78/5  rDev -13.9%

Look: very light in my opinion. barely any head
Smell: bright, floral, some citrus, grapefruit
Taste: good hop bite, mellows out after a while
Feel: very smooth almost slammable
Overall: refreshing and delicious

3.78/5  rDev -13.9%

Those crazy guys at Stone. First they tell mi I'm not worthy, then they tell me when to drink my beer. It's mine now, I bought it. Sure it was yours back then but this is now. So I drink this NOW of my own choice, not through any Stone coercion cause I don't play that game if you know what I'm sayin'.

Bomber poured into a globe glass after a bit of warming from fridge temp. Pours a clear golden with a nice boil of carbonation from the base. Offers a nearly white cap which shows decent retention and light lace.

Nose of citrus, pine and a hint of shallot/onion but subtle in that regard. Not picking up on the tropical notes at all. Lightly bitter and subtle as the bitterness lingers through the finish.

Flavor tends back towards the citric hops in the mix. Quite light in the malt substance yet the ABV is deceptive nonetheless. Good taste but not earth shattering by any means. Decent feel with a moderate linger of the light malts and a good spritzy carb. level. Overal a bit mixed. Good but not worth the media nor the price.

3.78/5  rDev -13.9%

Appearance: Pours a clear golden orange color. Nice head retention and lacing. Nothing extraordinary to look at.

Nose: A total blast of piney hops. Wet, first pine. some tiny alcohol and medicinal notes in the middle, with some mustard and malt at the end.

Taste: Great mouthfeel, and a perfectly balanced malt foundation. This is what a big IPA should feel like. Tastes like pine, citrus, ginger, sweet toffee, and a tiny bit of aspirin at the end.

Notes: Beer is always best fresh, and I commend the effort behind getting this beer to market. I don't care if others feel it is a marketing gimmick, it brings super fresh beer to my liquor store and I will not complain about that.

Notes 2: Mouthfeel is fantastic!

3.79/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle poured into a tumbler pint.

Appearance: Slight haze, golden color, moderate off white head, head fades slightly but does not disappear

Smell: spicy, dank & slightly floral, low grassiness. Med grainy malt sweetness in background - but clean bready malt, no heavy caramel sweetness.

Taste: primarily spicy/ herbal with a little tropical/ citrus, and a background note of that weird but lovely gooseberry licorice Nelson sauv thing. Fantastic hop profile, interesting, clean, and for the most part spicy and dank. Malt character is perfect for this style, light grainy malt w low to no caramel or excessive complexity. Dry and well attenuated. Possibly some wheat or touch of oats in here, I get a flavor associated with low-adjunct beers like Lag SUCKS. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: medium/ med-full but fairly clean on finish. alcohol noticeable but not in the way.

Overall: A nice full bodied hop encounter with the humulous lupous characters I like. Spicy, dank. Love the spicy hops with a touch of citrus/ tropical funk. Love the dating concept, especially since I spend so much time searching for dates on other hoppy beers. The last one Enjoy by 4/20/14 here in NYC was not so good - hops had faded and beer came across as astringent, sharply pine with some other odd flavors. But I dig this new installment.

3.79/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy By 11.12.13

Appearance - A clear golden amber color. Strong pour yielded a 1/2 finger head that dissipated quickly. There was minimal lacing while drinking

Smell - Very hoppy / bitter smell. Fresh cut grass and oranges.

Taste - The taste is quite bitter. Slight grapefruit and no malt flavor at all - this doesn't seem very balanced to me.

Mouthfeel - Medium to high carbonation and the warmth of the alcohol comes through.

Overall - Compared to other IPAs I have had, this one is a bit heavy handed with the amount of bitterness present. I would have preferred some malt characteristics and tropical fruit. Probably wont seek this one out again.

3.8/5  rDev -13.4%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Rocking the 12/21/12 batch. This stuff pours a clear brass topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises mango, light pineapple, light leek, dank-ish greens, sweet caramel in the background, and a touch of grapefruit peel. Were it not for everything else coming together so well, that leek would've damaged this stuff in my [nose's] eyes. The taste holds notes of grapefruit peel, pine resin, sweet caramel, orange rind, and a hint of greens. The fruits that are so fleshy and bright in the smell come through overtly rindy on the tongue. The body is a lithe medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry, fairly sticky finish. Overall, a damn solid IPA, one that seems to suffer from over-freshness (if you can believe that!): I think the hops might meld slightly better with a little bit of age on this stuff. Still, it's pretty tasty.

3.8/5  rDev -13.4%

Draft at The Blue Monkey Tavern in Merchantville, NJ. samples on 8.24.12.

Pours a hazy golden orange color with tangerine edges and a one finger frothy white head that slowly settles into a lasting ring.  Spotty lacing left behind.

Dank and über fresh floral hop aroma with earthy pine needle and spicy, grassy hop notes countered by citrus and tropical fruit notes.  Really tropical with mango, papaya and pineapple along with orange peel, tangerine and curaçao.  Pale malts underneath with biscuit and grainy graham cracker.

Chewy full body that's much heavier than anticipated.   Slightly hurts the drinkability.  Dry bitterness up front with dank, sticky hops that linger over sweeter notes and pale malt into a slightly dry finish.  Spicy hops, grass and earthy pine are slightly floral but countered by sweet fruit notes.  Not as tropical as nose suggests with some grapefruit, pineapple and orange peel.  Pale malt backbone is a bit stronger than I prefer with strong biscuit and graham cracker graininess toward the finish.  Also, there's a strong perfumy booziness that gives off some distracting sweetness toward finish.m ABV is decently masked for 9.4 but it's still a bit strong for me taking away from the hops.  Overall, this beer has some nice hop flavors but needs more tropical/citrus fruit sweetness, a  lighter body and less booze.  Decent but nothing out of the ordinary.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This offering by Stone is definitely incredibly fresh. It pours a beautiful golden yellow color onto a teku glass. The angel is fruity, lemon, musky, but also contains strong notes of onion and chive. The chive and sweet vidalia are quite strong, and carry through on the taste which is also permeated by bitter hops and slight malt.

Overall, if you like Sorachi Ace hops, you'll dig this beer. If not, you should probably pass. Personally I find it flavorful, unique and enjoyable. It is definitely different than many other stone offerings, and I'm interest to try my second bomber.

3.81/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

I remember the days when enjoy by was exactly or very similar to what is described in it's description. This 7/4/15 batch is good, but not danky or very citrusy to say the least. Last batches ive had have been more malty and sweet than a bitter juice bomb like I would prefer. Still crisp and good, but does not live up to it's own description.

3.81/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bomber poured into a tulip.

A: Clear with no haze, pale golden in colour. Minimal head.

S: The smell was the best part, in my opinion. It was the "freshest" aspect of this beer. By this, I mean that it smelt resiny in a way that I tend to only notice in fresh beers. Lots of citrus as well.

T: This was a tasty beer and you could tell there was a lot of attention to detail. Not too bitter, with some residual sweetness. It was a well balanced IIPA, but nothing spectacular about the flavour that I haven't had before in other IIPAs.

M: Easily drinkable, not too heavy and overpowering on the palate.

O: As I mentioned with respect to the taste, this beer was not spectacular. Stone beers are overrated, but this one in particular is overrated. It is a good beer and there is no doubt about that. However, it probably is not worth the $8 since there are other IIPAs out there for less that are pretty much the same. The aroma was "fresh," but that was about the only attribute that sets this brew apart from others in the field.

22 oz bottle of Enjoy by 7/4/14

A- Nice straw colored IPA. Standard bubbles and white head. Picture purfect IPA
S - Smell of a nice blended hop bill. Grass, pine, resin.
T- Not over the top hops, but I'm getting a pretty standard hop bill. Well balanced, but with all the IPAs on the market, this one doesn't differentiate itself.
M- Standard IPA, not too think, not too thick. Tiny bubbles to disperse the flavor without annoying the palet.
O- A solid IPA. Well balanced and a decent hop bill. Will probably buy a bottle of each release as long as it is under $10

Enjoy By 04-20-16

Long time fan of series. Sorry, but this latest batch was a let down. I wanted Devastatingly Dank, what I got was disappointingly dunce. However, still good. Just not nearly as good as previous editions, especially that last unfiltered masterwork they served up. That one was so good I didn't even want to drink it. I hated to see it go.
This one is lacking in body, floral and smoothness. Maybe I was looking forward to it too much and it could not live up to my own hype. Left a coarse feel on palate and went down kind of grainy. Did not have that creamy feel to it that I've come to expect.
It cost me as I bought 2 six packs of it. I'll get around to drinking it. I had 4 Southern Tier 2XSMASH in fridge that put this Enjoy By to shame.
I drank that instead. I still will be there for the next batch but this one left me wanting. The beer just came off as nothing special, just an average DIPA.
Hey I'm already over as the Great Lakes Chillwave has just dropped:)

Enjoy by 04JUL13

Golden with a loose soapy white foam sheet. Smells nice: mango, pineapple, resin, biscuit, dextrose, bit of mint. Bitter, sweet, sugar sweetness, some onion, some body odor, some grapefruit. Medium bodied with moderately sharp carb and an off dry finish. This was better the first time I tried it, but I feel there are a couple characteristics here I'm growing tired of: onion and body odor in the IPAs - seems to be a palate trend for me lately unfortunately.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pour is clear golden orange with a fairly tight white head. Nose is hop forward with a light grain malt balance. Herbal and citrus hops with a touch of sticky resin behind. Taste is a huge hop punch and quite syrupy and resinous. Sticky feel, assertive carbonation balances, tons of citrus and grapefruit. Some bitterness in the finish that lingers a bit. Overall not bad, very syrupy and hop forward.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

"Enjoy by 4/20/2016" bomber.

Beautiful looking crisp beer. Smelled like mango and tropical fruits. Flavor was a bit bitter at first, but as it warmed up the bouquet of flavors really came through. Nice hop flavor with tropical notes and mango. Very light feel - bit too light for an DIPA IMO, but not distractingly so. Overall enjoyed this one, but probably wouldn't pick it up again.

3.83/5  rDev -12.8%

22 oz bottle served in a Southern Tier tulip glass. Enjoy by 12-21-12, batch 3.

A: Pours a perfectly clear amber color with a one finger of height pure white head forming on the pour. It dissipates to a frothy collar that leaves some sticky lace behind.

S: Some grapefruit, orange and lemon peel citrus. Sweet malts and just a touch of green onion in the periphery.

T: More green onion up front, but it doesn't hinder the overall flavor profile. Sweet malts, some citrus zest and sticky grapefruit. As the beer warms it definitely takes on more of a sauteed vidalia onion taste to it.

M: Clean and crisp with a light medium to light body. Medium carbonation level.

O: It was better when it was colder, but as it warmed the onion-like qualities became more pronounced. The alcohol was really hidden though and I would have guessed it was 7% or so.

Rating 7/4/16

I used to love these, but they have really gone downhill, with 10/31/14 being the last amazing one.

This one comes off as all over the place, when i think the aim was "complex". It is very hoppy, very layered...good enough mouthfeel. Little boozy. Little chewy. I think in 2016 this is only a slightly above average double ipa. I do appreciate this release, and happy stone continues to do it. They are never "bad" and always interesting. Im just not sure it needs 27 hops

Edit- i noticed someone else said better from bottle than poured, i agree. My grade from bottle would be solid 4/5

3.84/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy By 12-26-2014

A fresh tasting IPA with lost of citrus and fresh cut grass. Very effervescent with a malty backbone fitting for an American DIPA. Very tasty, very fresh, but not especially interesting.

3.84/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Batch 5.17.13

A: Pours a nice clear golden/orange color. Creamy, soapy, thick 1 inch white head with good lacing and retention.

S: Nice piney hop presence. Slightly bitter aroma, with faint citrus aroma.

T: Nice and bitter bite right away. Nice tropical flavors to counteract the bitterness. Mango and orange sweetness. Definitely juicy.

M: Medium bodied. Creamy subtle carbonation. Alcohol is detectable, but not over powering. A little heavy.

O: A good but not great offering. Tasty, but just nothing special. 1 bottle is enough for me at that price

3.85/5  rDev -12.3%

Finally made it's way to the Bay Area and gotta drink it fast cuz the end of the world is right around the corner. Would suck to have this in the cellar after without popping it after my...er...our demise. Cool beer name.

Pours a clear peach/yellow ale with a white foamy head and nice lacing.

Getting a lot of cirtus fruits with a dankness in the background. Pine, orange juice and a touch of malt.

First taste reminds me a tad like Pliny. The fresh hops are present though there is a touch of orange in the finish. Grapefruit salivation. A little on the sweet side if you like your DIPA this way. As it warms, the malt backbone is present in the finish. Works well.

Pretty quick finish.

Overall I liked it. Maybe I'm spoiled by my proximity to Pliny, but this was just a likable (not loveable) beer to me. Nice take in the DIPA family, but probably the last time I'll purchase it. Plus I'll be dead in a couple weeks anyway. Onto my cellared Double Bastard.

3.87/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Clear pale orange colored with a low white head that leaves legs of lace rising up the dudes of the glass. Low aroma of honied mslt and orange rind. Rich flavor bursting with hop flavors - grapefruit, tangerine and orange rind pith. Subtle malt balance, but this is a showcase of hops. Mild bitterness, understated alcohol strength. Slightly slick mouthfeel. Overall a great beer.

3.87/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4.75

I can respect this beer AND see why folks like it, but I consider it average.
Stone makes better DIPAS. This one Unbalanced, thick, bitter in the wrong way, RICH instead of REFRESHING, and a lingering aftertaste I can only describe as...unforgiving. I liked previous years better (this was 4/20 {2015}). I get what they were going for...they just didn't quite get there.

3.88/5  rDev -11.6%

Enjoy By 11.09.12

Enjoy By IPA pours a lighter gold color. It’s clear, and backlighting gives it a brighter, more yellow look. I like it. Doesn’t look there’s much caramel malt here. Awesome! An off-white head covers the top. It’s rather modest, rising to less than a finger in height. It doesn’t stick around long at all and leaves a lighter, spotty lacing behind.

The nose is alright, but isn’t great. It’s not all that aromatic. Needs more strength. It does have a rather prominent toasted malt presence. Not my favorite thing. Smells sweet and a bit sugary. Hops are definitely noted and feature a diverse variety of scents – citric, piney, a little herbal, and definitely danky. Hops are certainly the focal point here. Doesn’t smell all that balanced. Alcohol is noticeable, but isn’t overwhelming. Smells pretty good. More strength would improve it.

The flavor is easily a notch better. The malt base is very sugary and sweet. There is a bit of a toasted malt presence, but it’s more subtle than anticipated. I like that. I also like there’s no caramel malt! Hops the focal point and are very flavorful! Citric flavors of grapefruit and pineapple hit first. They’re followed by a mix of piney and herbal notes. Definitely dank and bitter. It definitely leans in the hop direction, but it’s a bit more balanced than you might expect. Alcohol is definitely there, but isn’t warming or hot. Finishes sweet, citric, herbal, and a little dry.

Enjoy By IPA has a body that’s on the lighter side of medium. Carbonation is mid-range, but isn’t buzzy. Feels soft and smooth. For nearly 10% abv, this stuff goes down rather easily.

I really like the idea behind Enjoy By IPA, and the beer itself is really good, too. I don’t have many complaints. The hop flavor is a tad danky and herbal for me, but it is still good. In the line of Stone’s recent DIPA releases, this one falls in the middle. It’s a little better than 16th Anniversary, but it’s not really close to the Ruination 10th Anniversary Release. Easy recommendation nonetheless.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing