Stone Enjoy By IPA | Stone Brewing

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Added by nrs207 on 08-21-2012

4.4

Ratings: 10,703 |  Reviews: 1,486

4.89/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This Enjoy By 11/12/2013 deserves my first beer review.
A: poured into a IRS 17 oz. glass. Amber color with little foam. Nice lacing.
S: strong hops but also really fruity,
T: hoppy as expected, but the presence of tropical fruits balance out the bitterness. Finish smooth and tasty.
M: Smooth with the bitterness and sweetness lingering
O: Very good beer, a must-try IPA if you are wondering what IPA is. Once you had it, you will probably find others to compare. My favorite IPA beer so far.

4.26/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: a yellowish orange color. good clarity. a half finger of an off white head. doesn't last too long.

Smell: super fruity hops , mango and grapefruit. slightly resiny but very strong hops

Taste: hops as expected. mango. grapefruit. resin. slightly sweet pretty bitter

Mouthfeel: smooth, slightly warm from alcohol. some bitterness but not overbearing.

Overall: definitely a good DIPA. worth a shot if you get and possibly even more. i like the huge hop fruitiness

4.31/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bought this a few weeks back down at Joe Canal's in Woodbridge. It was behind glass, so I had a feeling that this was pretty special since they had to open up the case to get one for me. Seeing that 11/12/13 is next week, I did enjoy this by its due date and eagerly anticipated the freshness of this. While I thought that the hype turned out to be a bit much for this, I enjoyed this beer and the easy drinkability of this, given how high the alcohol was. It was much smoother than I thought and went down easily, even though I split the bottle with a good friend of mine!

Nice pour to this, as this beer had a crisp golden hue, fluffy head, and lacing that made its mark ring after foamy ring. Lots of earthy, herbal hops and "stink" in the nose, making me think that this was a beer from Green Flash. Then came the taste - soapy, buttery, and sneakily smooth. The hops were recessed but present here as more floral notes predominated. This was so strong but went down so easily and although the taste wasn't immediately addictive, it grew on me. It was a bit like tea, in that the minty notes took a while to grow on me but they soothed at the same time. This certainly felt and tasted fresh from start to finish, as if I had this on tap and not out of a bottle.

Strong, this was but this certainly did not feel it. Downing a whole bottle will make you woozy but with the appeal and bitterness of a Troegs Nugget Nectar combined with a rich array of sensual aspects and a chocolate-chili type aftertaste, there's a ton to like here. This was so clean and crisp that it misled me into thinking that it was an American Amber but alas, it's just an IPA that lives up to the "Imperial" moniker. Loads to love here, even without the date on the bottle. This was one beer that you'll want to drink as soon as you get your hands on it!

4.37/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a deviation from my normal reviewing style because I wrote the following in a thread about your personal favorite beer (please read edit at end):

It's a crystal clear pale amber with a bounteous white head of tight bubbles. Just gorgeous to look at! The aroma is what I would imagine heaven would smell like, with wave after wave of wild flowers, tropical fruits (mango, passion fruit, pineapple, papaya), peaches, citrus (tangerine, grapefruit), lemon-grass, FRESH dank hops, and just enough caramel malt to keep it balanced. Almost every time I drink this I have trouble taking the last sip because I know I won't be able to smell it anymore if I do! Then you have the flavor, which, unlike many top rated DIPAs, actually delivers what you smelled with just as much punch, with even more complexity and balance to boot! Every aroma noted is present in the taste in a big way at some point, with additional flavors such as onion grass (a surprising but pleasant addition), a big malt backbone in the middle (but not so big as to take away from the plentiful fresh hops that are on display), and a mild to moderate bitter hop bite at the finish (may be moderate to heavy for some people, but with all the hop bombs I've had it doesn't feel like a ton to me!). This beer is just perfectly balanced, and quite frighteningly drinkable at 9.4%! I could drink this all day every day if it was available and I was rich enough to not have to work! =P

edit - After the last 2 batches available in NJ were just nowhere near as good as the first 3 I had I felt it necessary to alter my scores from the perfect 5s across the board that I had given it. Please realize that I felt those first 3 batches deserved that score, but inconsistency has made me change my mind. I hope they can match the brilliance that was those earlier batches in the future!

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing