Stone Enjoy By IPA | Stone Brewing

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Added by nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Ratings: 10,757 |  Reviews: 1,494
4.42/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.24/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Clear light orange, some carbonation, two finger head with near perfect lacing.

S-Hop bomb, mix of grass/dirt with citrus and grapefruit.

T-Incredible balance. Hop flavors of grass mesh well with the citrus notes and ends with good bitterness.

M-Medium bodied, well carbonated with hop resins.

O-A wonder DIPA, great balance with nice bitterness.

4.1/5  rDev -6.6%

Second batch Enjoy By 11.09.12. Bright orange color, super head and lace. Super juicy citrus and hops in the aroma, definite west coast. More citrus, pine, bitterness, typical west coast and typical stone. This is a good DIPA and I would expect nothing less from Stone. I sure hope we get another batch of this in Colorado at some point. Winner.

4.41/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Light amber color with a thick head with good retention.
Delicious aroma with predominant notes of passion fruit, mild pine and white wine.
Flavor with notes of pine, grapefruit, resin, tea leaves, pineapple, earth, spices, honey and grapes.
Medium body with appropriate carbonation. Alcohol of 9.4% abv is incredibly hidden.
Excellent IPA, yes, fresh does matter. Very well balanced with the characteristic search for perfection by Stones brews.

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

4.53/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.35/5  rDev -0.9%

These bottles all explode horrifically at midnight on their expiry date, Silver Shamrock style.

Not being a fan of having my face devoured by lasers and then eaten by worms, I took the smart route and decided to crack this fucker open right away.

Smells like a fresh, strong IPA with big nodes of flowers and pines. Tastes equally fresh and hoppily strong, but the flavor is tame and a near total lack of burn belays its elevated ABV. Lots of double IPAs attempt to back up intense hops with thick, syrupy malt. Other, better doubles balance out the hops with sweeter malts and interesting yeast complexities. Here, the hops don't get too out of hand, but they're still lush and variegated enough to balance themselves, making it so all the malt needs to do is provide a decent bready backend. and that's what this one does, gorgeously.

4.13/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a brandy snifter. Enjoy by 15 February 2013.

A: Pellucid gold, with sticky whiteish lacing clinging to the edges of the glass.

S: Disappointingly, considering the presumed hop profile, it's full of chives. Slight citrus (tangerines), but generally, blegh.

T: It's like you made a clementine popsicle (those ones you make as children out of orange juice concentrate) but then someone snuck in some hops and melted it then carbonated it and then bottled it. It's pretty damn tasty, deceptively strong, and surprisingly soft on the finish, not bitterly dry at all. The endtaste has all the tropical hops for which I'd hoped, papaya and grapefruit and oh my! Tasty.

M: Full, subtle, and nice.

O: I'm a little on the fence about this one. It's a pretty great DIPA, but it wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped. Recommended, certainly, but I'm not sure the hype is deserved? I'd love to try it fresh on-tap.

Hops (for 2012 version): Super-Galena for bittering. Simcoe, Delta, and Amarillo, then whirpool-hopped with Motueka, Citra, Cascade. Dry-hopped with Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy.

4.12/5  rDev -6.2%

Re-review of newer batches. The 7/4 Enjoy By made me realize that I have this one way underrated. It's got the perfect blend of bitterness and hop flavor for my palate. As such, I now hunt this down every time it shows up in MD.

---

22 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a freaking gorgeous golden amber shade with perfect clarity. The head is a three finger white shade. Everything is good here - retention, texture, and the lacing down the glass. This beer makes Sofia Vergara look like a damn horse in comparison.

S: There is a distinct savory note from the hops that reminds me of onion/garlic. Otherwise, this one comes off as being bitter just from the nose alone; there is a lot of grapefruit peel, black pepper, mango, papaya, pine, and guava. It really smells damn great, but perhaps it's not quite to my preference for an IPA.

T: At first, there's some slight maltiness (in an earthy expression) before it finishes both dry and bitter. Transitioning between the vaguely citrusy opening and piny, bitter ending is a strong midtaste of onion and garlic; I actually like this portion of the flavor profile the best. But the biggest problem here is how boozy this one seems. Maybe it's some of the earthy and oniony qualities coming through on the back end, but there's a real distinct sharp heat to it that doesn't strike me as being hop-derived. Certainly it feels every bit its 9.4% ABV. To be fair, this note helps to rein in the bitterness somewhat, so it's not all bad, I guess.

I've got another one on standby that I plan to serve more chilled than this one - maybe this will tone down the booze some? Regardless, what a letdown.

M: Typical Stone IPA: bone-dry, clean, astringent, and bitter as fuck. Well, maybe not 'as fuck', but it does have a good lingering bite to it. Something like this should be spectacularly drinkable - thanks to all the poorly concealed alcohol I taste here, I'm reduced to vegging over this one for a moderate length of time. Drinkability is actually okay because the general feel is quite good - but then again, I expected something fantastically chuggable.

O: I really thought this was going to be a world-class DIPA, but instead I find it kind of harsh and meh. I hate to say it, but this has nothing on some of the local DIPAs I can get fairly readily (Evolution Lot 6 DIPA and Troegs Perpetual IPA); and let's not talk about how badly Lagunitas Sucks pounds this one into submission. Absolutely worth trying, though - hell, I seem to be only one who doesn't love this. But Stone, unless the second bottle I drink manages to make me shit out rainbows and sunshine the way I expected this one to, you are back on my naughty list again.

3.7/5  rDev -15.7%

I picked up a bottle of Stone's Enjoy By IPA a couple days ago for $7.99 at The Lager Mill. I've never had any beers from the Enjoy By series and this is the first one that I've seen on the shelfs, so I thought I should give it a try, lets see how it goes. Best by 2/14/14. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label look nice, it's simple and straight to the point, I think it's a little eye catching with the best by date being the main feature on the label. It poured a fairly hazy golden color that was slightly orange and it took on more of a darker gold and orange color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sticky rings of lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up with a little bit of piney hops coming through with the citrus and fruity hop aromas seeming to stick out the most imparting a real nice citrus and tropical fruit aromas with some nice peach aromas showing up. Up next comes a medium amount of onion and garlic hops that make for and interesting combination when mixed with the fruity hops. Towards the end I get a real light bready and grainy aroma. The aroma was ok, but I wish the onion and garlic like hops didn't show up as much as they did.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that bordered on being highly sweet and it's followed by the hops being the first to show up but this time it's a mixture of the fruity hops and the onion and garlicy hops sticking out which makes for an unusual flavor. There's a real light amount of malts that impart a slight grainy flavor. On the finish there;s a lower amount of high bitterness that doesn't really linger that long and there's a hoppy aftertaste with the onion and garlic like hops coming through. This was an ok tasting beer, but I thought it had the same problem as the aroma with the onion and garlic hops sticking out too much.

M- Fairly smooth, a little crisp, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I I didn't think it was the best example of a DIPA, it was going the right direction with some nice fruity hops, but then the onion and garlic comes through and it really muddles the flavors and it leaves me a little confused. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little crisp and not too filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and half the bottle was enough for me, I don't really feel like drinking another glass mainly because of that onion and garlic flavor. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, they were both pretty good and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the onion and garlic hop aspect, it really held this beer back from being as good as it could be. I wouldn't get any more of this particular beer, but I wouldn't rule out trying the next one that makes it's way to Michigan. I wouldn't recommend this beer unless you love onion and garlic like hops. All in all I was fairly disappointed with this beer, I had heard that this was a pretty good DIPA and that it was more than marketing hype, but it didn't live up to my expectations mainly because it highlighted my least favorite hop profile. There are many other DIPA's that I would much rather have. Better luck next time guys, this beer just wasn't for me.

Edit 2015, over a year later I got to try Enjoy by 4/20/15, this is much better than the first Enjoy by I had, while it still has some green onion aspects to it, the fruity hops stick out the most and I enjoy it. I bumped up the score to reflect this batch, while still keeping other batch in mind.

3.38/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Amber copper with a medium, fluffy beige head, leaving soft peaks of lace.

Smell is peach, grapefruit, and light caramel malt, with taste following almost identically, which is a commendable feat. Taste adds a touch of resin.

This is usually a well balanced IPA for Stone, who sometimes likes to go overboard with bitterness. Some alcohol does make itself known.

Most recent: a 7/4/16 fresh on draft in the first week of June. Can't add or subtract anything significant for 4/20/17. Maybe a little breadier, and also, somehow seems like a wet hopped/hop harvest brew, with lighter, more floral notes.

4.24/5  rDev -3.4%