Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout | Stone Brewing

Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial StoutKen Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout
Liked This Beer

Liked:
4.08/5
Alströms:

3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

Received this in a great trade with MCorrea.. Thanks Matt!! Shared with Buckeyeboy.

Poured into my thin tulip... decent enough dark brown head... the brew is black... Okay retention and no lacing.

Nose delivers on the promise.. milk chocolate and mint... I think the mint has a sorta earthy almost dirty quality...

Flavor has all the same elements... but it immediately reminds me of the cheap creme de menthe candies my grandmother had around during Christmas time.. I don't care for it at all.

Body is about right for such a big stout... so is the carbonation..

I know this is not the case, but the chocolate and mint seem "fake" .. does not work in my mind... I had about half this bottle and it was too much.

3.5/3.5/3/4/3.5

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

4.58/5  rDev +12.3%

Nose is dark chocolate, roasted malts, just a hint of coffee and slight notes of mint in the back. Taste is chocolate, dark malts, a hint of mint, coffee, a bit of anise and then more minty notes come in on the back. Its more of a minty coolness at the end. The ABV is well hidden except for the heat that rises up in the stomach. This is yet another awesome Stone collaboration.

The mint comes out a bit more as it warms up and you get that minty cool sensation in your throat on the swallow. Its a pretty awesome brew, I recommend enjoying it at a little higher than fridge temp. Maybe around 50-55.

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

From a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A-A mildly aggressive pour produced about one finger of reddish-brown head that hung around for a bit and left nice lacing on the glass. The beer was espresso black...not pure black, but not far off. Small bubbles were visible.

S-I smelled roast malts and chocolate with a touch of mint. The mint comes on stronger as the beer warms and the smell gets a little more bitter. I also picked up a hint of molasses and dark fruit.

T-The taste has a stronger mint component than the smell, but medium to dark chocolate is the main player. The mint chocolate flavor is almost artificial tasting, and not terribly complex, but I have tasted worse things. There was a hint of bitterness on the mid-palate, but very little alcohol.

M-The beer has a rich, heavy, creamy feel, with a decent amount of carbonation for the style. The stronger-than-average carbonation offset the sweet, mint chocolate flavors.

O-This is certainly a bit of a gimmick beer, but the mint aspect of it all was not half-bad. Maybe the awesome combination of mint and chocolate was enough to coverup the somewhat artificial flavor, but I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. All that being said, I don't think I will rush out to buy it again.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

12oz bottle poured into a duvel glass.

A: pours a dark black with a nice finger and a half of chocolaty covered head, dissapates nicley and leaves nice lacing.

S: a very nice chocolaty with a touch of roastyness and a nice bit of mint, I do not really like mint, but this smells delicious, very nice aroma.

T: just as delicious as the aroma milk chocolaty with a very nice kiss of mint, and again I do not really like mint but this is deliciously done.. And very well rounded... This is delicious.

M: overall I wish it was a little bit thicker, but overall the mouthfeel is lush and velvety and very complimentary of the style. Nice.

O: I am very impressed with the use of mint here, this is delicious... I highly recommend finding some if you can.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz bottle from beer fridge poured into Duvel tulip. Likely temperature of about 50-55 degrees.

A: As one would expect from a hearty stout. Thick, viscous with no light getting through. Small off-white head that dissipates quickly and leaves a nice little ring on the glass.

S: A ton of cocoa up front with mint as an afterthought. Smells a lot like a dark chocolate Andes mint or something along those lines.

T: A good mix of cocoa and mint, tying in the smell I picked up. The mint does not dominate the flavor profile as I feared. Very nice.

M: Thick and pretty big without dominating the palette. Maybe the best aspect of an already good beer.

O: Even if I live in CT now, I'm a San Diego homer. Stone will always have a special place in my heart and I had high expectations for this beer. I was not disappointed and look forward to trying this in a barrel-aged form at some point, as they're bound to at least give it a shot. I can't imagine mint and bourbon tying together well, but I'll sure as hell try it. Recommended.

3.71/5  rDev -9.1%

Dark brown body and big fluffy orange-brown head. Good lace.

Smells mostly like roasty malt with just a trace of leafy mint and hops.

Tastes like bitter, dark cocoa, leafy hops and some peppermint. A tad bitter for my taste (which rarely include Stone beers at all, so take that with a grain of salt.) The mint used tastes to me like peppermint (where I would've preferred spearmint; that is, more mentholated, less bitter, and less spicy) and the chocolate is super dark. That, and I think the hops presence just gets in the way, but I'm just imagining this as a milk stout (which I think might also help it.)

Nice feeling-- not foamy, not watery, just right.

There's a chance that this will improve massively with six months or so. I've had Stone RIS fresh and while it's decent, I don't care for it nearly as much as several months later when the bitterness has calmed down and roasty, leathery richness becomes apparent. I probably won't find out, because I don't anticipate buying (possibly not even finding) another bottle. Again, I usually don't like bitter beer (and never bitter stouts), so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Glad I was able to locate this Stone-Ken Schmidt-Iron Fist Collaboration beer just over the border in the great state of Ohio. Poured from a bottle into a Lost Abbey Teku. Nice dark pour, nearly black, with a nice fluffy mocha-colored head that has some nice retention for such high ABV. Nice lacing too. On the nose I get some nice roasted notes, some chocolate, and a little bit of mint. I half-expected this beer to smell like a grasshopper, but the mint is not at all overpowering or in your face.

The beer has a full body and a nice, firm, somewhat creamy feel. There are flavors of roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, and, of course, mint. The mint is there at mid-palate and definitely makes its presense known. It cuts through the roastiness pretty sharply and lingers on the finish. It's not too strong, but it's definitely strong enough.

Good beer, but I have a hard time calling it great. I think it's a terrific idea and I think it's extremely well-executed (this beer could have gone wrong in SOOO many ways). The only real knock I have on it is that I feel it could use more sweetness. As it is, the mint and roastiness leave a pungent, ascerbic quality that, while not entirely unpleasant, is not as enjoyable as it could have been.

3.91/5  rDev -4.2%

12 oz bottle for $6- something at Pints O'Plenty.

Appearance: Very nice looking beer. Opaque black with a dark brown head and very good retention. Excellent sticky lacing.

Smell: Mint and chocolate of course. Its roastier than I expected it to be, and there's less of a rich, malty aroma than I like in an RIS.

Taste: The mint seems to integrate with the beer flavor better than it does in the aroma. I still think there's a bit too much roasty bitterness, and there's a sharpness from the mint that accentuates this even more. Again there's a lack of malt depth that sort of cheapens the flavor. The aftertaste is excellent, and really captures the flavor of mint chocolate chip ice cream.

Mouthfeel: There's a nice full, smoothness, but its a little overcarbed for me.

Overall: Its kind of a bold attempt, and I had low expectations. In a sense I was pleasantly surprised, but I think it could use some tweaking. I enjoyed it, but one is enough.

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

4.24/5  rDev +3.9%

Stone bottle into a pint glass

A:black as night almost completely throughout like really dark chocolate with thin tan head that despates quickly

S: it totally smells like mint chocolate maybe with a little spice that could be hops, but the mint really stands out I could smell this all day.

T:okay so wow it hits you with mint dark chocolate but then the mint takes better near menothol but not overpowering (i think it is the alc in there but it is well intigrated) at all the you can actually taste the hops as the mint fades and it goes from mint liquior to actually taste like a stout.

Edit (4/6/2013): So the minty flavor is still there, but this being one of my earlier reviews I think I may have exaggerated the quality of the taste because its there but it is sort of muddled together either that or it has not held up well over time because there are quality stout characteristics there but they don't mix well withe the minty flavors.

M: it is very thick almost chewy witch reminds me of chocolate so I count that as a good thing for this, but there is a little too much carbonation it's almost fizzy but it's still pretty good

O: okay so this isn't your typical IS so its more of its own style it's really be compared. That being said it tastes as advertised and like a beer and I really love it so in my opinion it perfect stone ken and iron fist nailed it. Going to celler my other in hopes the alc calms down and chocolate flavor increases

Edit (4/6/2013): The chocolate did come out more so far but not as much as I had hoped as well as other stout aspects the mint still adds to the alc burn that still seems strong esp for 9.7%. Having a better knowledge of the style I have lowered the score

2.73/5  rDev -33.1%

who doesnt like mint chocolate? well, i guess when added to my beer that would be me.

looked good, smelled ok, went downhill quickly after. not enough chocolate, too much mint. got a little better as it warmed but in the end the bad aftertaste never went away. it was strong, and pretty thick. but that aftertaste. blah. good thing i only got the one. and its done.

1.99/5  rDev -51.2%

Nonsense.

Doesn't taste or smell like mint...even artificial, candy mint. What a joke and a waste of money.

This is just an over-alcohol'ed stout--and not even that great of one--with cocoa added. If you like cocoa-powder stouts, Sam Adams makes a decent one for much cheaper...but, even then, adding Nestle Quik to beer is not very difficult or impressive. Always tastes cheap and chalky. This one is no exception.

Sorry Stone-devotees, this beer is lame.

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%

12 oz bottle into a DFH signature glass. 2012 Collaboration.

A - Pitch black body with a two finger light mocha head. Crazy amount of lacing and retention. Really gorgeous beer.

S - A combination of dry and sweet milk chocolate and peppermint leaves. Just a hint of vanilla on the end. Its subtle yet intense at the same time. Perhaps its the quality of the ingredients, but the aroma is just incredible. Smells precisely like a York patty.

T - Cocoa powder and peppermint initially. The finish is met with a slight malty mineral bitterness and lingering mint and chocolate sweetness. Very tasty and it never becomes "too much" mint or chocolate. Only improves as it warms up, but not nearly as impressive as the nose.

M - Medium bodied and silky. Drinkability is dangerously high as the abv is not even noticable.

O - I could smell this beer all day. I'm not exactly a "mint person" but I can rock a York patty from time to time. This was spot on with that candy. Rich and decadent yet sweet chocolate perfectly balanced with fresh and herbal peppermint. The only flaw of this beer is a slight malt bitterness that comes up in the aftertaste. A surprise hit for me!

Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout from Stone Brewing
Beer rating: 87.6% out of 100 with 732 ratings