Stone Pale Ale | Stone Brewing

Stone Pale AleStone Pale Ale

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 06-23-2001

Ratings: 2,714 |  Reviews: 985
2.6/5  rDev -33.2%

Had at jungle jims tasting with 1arrogantbastard

A-orangish in color with white head.
S-slight hops and malt. Not really much else there.
T-stone does a lot of great things, but pale ales are not one of them. Very faint hops taste. Balanced and ends hoppy
M-light and crisp
D-drinkable, if I would want to drink it...

2.61/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

While I love the Stone portfolio, this one isn't my favorite. The color is beautiful dark orange with very little head. Both the smell and the taste are dominated by what I would call a Belgian swampy funkiness that isn't my favorite. Not terrible by any means, but probably not something I would order again.

2.64/5  rDev -32.1%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy orange yellow from the yeast that actually went into the pour, as there's still a bit on the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Mild hop aromas without much malt at all. And some alcohol. What's going on here?

Taste: All bitterness without much balance. Mild malt flavors come in with the finish.

Mouthfeel: Watery and slick with throughout with a weird sudden burst of carbonation at the end. Weird.

Drinkability: I'm not sure if I got an old bottle or what (because it was a single bottle purchase in a mixed 6-pack in a store), but this just isn't good. It doesn't taste bad necessarily, but just very bland, boring, and oddly balanced. I won't be trying this again unless someone else buys it, because I don't want to make the same mistake twice if it's not just the bottle. A disappointment from Stone overall.

2.67/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Probably my least favorite Stone

2.69/5  rDev -30.8%

Pours a darker reddish orange than expected, with translucent innards and a thick foamy white head that laces well and dissipates fairly quickly. Leaves behind a collar of white that remains throughout the drink.

Smells of grapefruit, rind and all, and has a very bitter spin on the citrus. Isn't particularly pungent though - this is a confused smell to be sure. You don't get much malt or alcohol sweetness out of this on the nose. Hops are leafy aside from the grapefruit barrage.

Taste follows, with some grapefruit that doesn't really assert itself to go with grainy, uncooked malt. This one tastes a bit more like an English Bitter than a traditional pale ale. Citrus fades away the further into the glass you get, but the malt profile doesn't come in to save the day either. Sort of hurts the drinkability.

Mouthfeel is light, while being lively thanks to the strong carbonation. May be a bit too light at times though, and could have benefited from an increased body, as this is more and more like an English Bitter the more I drink it. Unfortunately, rating to the style, this falls short a bit, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't have this again.

2.73/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a nonic glass.

Dark amber in color, very little head or lacing.

I found the aromas somewhat off-putting. Burnt wood and caramel notes with only faint hoppy aromas.

Taste was rather bland with some caramel and woody notes. Below average.

Maybe I just wasn't expecting these flavors in a pale ale but I did not enjoy this beer. It is the first I have had in a while that I know I won't buy again. I might try the "2.0" version when it comes out to see how stone changes this brew.

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

04/05/13 On tap. Once again something tagged a "pale ale" hits my taste buds with a solid shot of hoppiness. This time I'm disinclined to forgive. Why is this not an IPA? The IBU is in the 25-50 range (if you believe in such things) but my tongue says "Bull-Donkey". Something's gotta give. So glad to have notes at BA so I don't make this mistake again.

Mind you, I'm just not that fond of hops so this may appeal to those that are. Go figure!

2.76/5  rDev -29%

Stone does not have a bad beer in their line up. Outside of the 07 vertical epic (which isn't ready to be fully judged) I can't remember one that wasn't at the very least interesting. That said this is far from a great pale ale.

Reddish amber in color with a HUGE fluffy head, lacing everywhere...you really can't look much better than this. Maybe a bit more carbonation but exceptional is an understatement.

The nose is soft sweet amber malt.

The flavor is a mix of citrus and bread. Soft pale. The hops and malt are balanced to a fault. Look stone, you make amazing hoppy beers. You're amber is a dry hopped under 5% alcohol masterpiece. This beer desperately needs something else to make it work. I am a huge fan of APA's....really it is second to IPA in my book and it's close. There are some amazing APA's. This isn't one of them.

This is a drinkable beer. It's a touch thick for drinking a bunch of.

The mouth is rather nice. So much carbonation, silky but thin enough to drink a few.

I'm bias for stone beers. LOVE them. I'm bias for hops, and this doesn't do it. Sorry stone, you missed on this beer. It's a darn good beer, but for an APA and for Stone...this is unacceptable!

2.78/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is cloudy dark amber with a finger or two of foamy white head that leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

The smell is pretty muted with some slight butterscotch flavor for just a moment.

The taste is creamy with some caramel flavor that stays for a while. This may be a bit old since I am getting no hop flavor that I can detect but just malts leading the way.

The feel of this beer is pretty light and goes down well. This was not the best Stone beer I have ever had by any means and it may be one of the lesser beers that Stone makes but overall not bad.

2.8/5  rDev -28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pale Ale 2.0, where are the hops? The bevarian hops theyve used are very mild...tastes like a hoppy lager not the best probably wont purchase again

2.81/5  rDev -27.8%

Pours an off-red color and almost smells like an Oktoberfest brew. Decent pillowy head and nice lacing down the glass, an excellent session beer. Some hops and what appears to smell like caramel and some type of apple-cherry type fruit. Not Stone's best overall beer but a sure nice one.

Stone Pale Ale from Stone Brewing