Stone Pale Ale | Stone Brewing

Stone Pale AleStone Pale Ale

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 06-23-2001

Ratings: 2,715 |  Reviews: 985
2.83/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A. A dark amber/light copper color with 2 finger sof off white head. Medium lacing down the glass.

S. PIcking up some sweet malt and a good amount of dark fruits: Dates, raisins. Not much hop essence coming through.

T. I am wondering how old the 6-pack is. Not getting any real hop flavor at all, mostly sweet maltiness like toffee and ripe dark fruits. Not bad, not that good. Overall not what I was expecting from a pale ale, nor what I prefer. I think the bottles may be really old.

M. Medium bodied, moderate carbination

D. Overall not my cup of tea, or ale in this case. Not really bad, but was expecting a lot more from this beer. May buy one more down the road to see if this was a old batch, but would much rather have a Dales Pale, SNPA or many other PA's before this one.

2.83/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

As you can see from my ratings this is a pretty average brew. Doesn't make you want run for cover but does not wow ya either. One of my least favorite from Stone by far. Anyway here goes.

A - Pours a reddish copper with a fizzy type head that disappears real quick.

S - Catty kind of grassy hop aroma, very slight malt aroma.

T - Nothing really dominates the flavor at all. I guess you could say its balanced in a way, but to me its dull. A small trace of the catty hops, a very small trace of malt. Some apple kind of aftertaste also.

M - The mouthfeel is medium, not watery not heavy. Carbonation is lively just a tad on the fizzy side.

D - Due to above factors I could imagine downing the sixer in a sitting. But after 1 or 2 I myself would go after something more interesting.

Other APAs I have drunk had a more defining hop character. This one does not. Its kind of weird for a company that just packs the hops in a lot of thier beers their APA is kind of a dull affair. If you want something really unoffensive this might fit the bill. Otherwise if you like a hoppy american APA with some character look somewhere else I would say.

2.84/5  rDev -27%

2.88/5  rDev -26%

Straightforward copper color with a white head. Nice lace on the glass. Smelled malty and slightly fruity, but not much hop aroma at all. Tasted somewhat bland - a bland, non-variety specific sort of bitterness, no perceived caramel background or malt nuttiness. Finished dry and felt medium-bodied. Drinkability was just sort of average. Not a bad beer, but nothing to write home about either.

2.88/5  rDev -26%

Pretty nice color...amber and golden brown. nice head, even from a bottle. The taste was "yeasty" however. Maybe it was the bottle I had...but based on other reviews I think this beer has some more potential. I would like to try it again...

Almost no smell at all

2.88/5  rDev -26%

12oz bottle. Decided to pick this one up instead of trying the Stone IPA since I needed to have some "calmer" beers for visitors. Pours a clear copper with medium head and carbonation. Aroma is a bit light and indistinct. And I have to say that the taste is also indistinct. It's difficult to put in words, since there's nothing that particularly stands out with this one. I'm a bit surprised at its relatively high ratings... (well, high overall, but a bit low for Stone.) Perhaps Stone's reputation is responsible for this? I have to say I'm disappointed with this one - and that's the first time I've ever had to say that about a Stone product. I wasn't expecting anything over the top from their APA, but was hoping for more than this.

2.91/5  rDev -25.2%

Usually it is Stone's job to kick your butt and make you wonder why you came to drink it, then realize that's exactly why you're drinking it, man up and emerge triumphant.

With this one, the ale does not nearly accomplish this.

Yes it's a Pale Ale, but a bit of reddishness gives it a good look (that matches the bottle, nice!). Smelling the hops and barley, you drink down a regular and not even offensive hoppy taste. Why? Stone, I want you to crush me!

Sure you could drink 'em often, but the taste is a bit too bland to make each sip desirable, and at 5.4 abv there's no reason to stay with this one.

2.91/5  rDev -25.2%

I just can't get over the smell

2.96/5  rDev -23.9%

5.40% ABV confirmed. Bottle acquired at Trader Joe's. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average; I figure a brewery with as much funding and manpower as Stone wouldn't screw up a pale ale.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger beige-khaki colour head of fair cream, decent thickness, and pretty good (~4 minute) retention. Body colour is a clear textbook copper. Translucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Predictable for the style; this is what one thinks of when one thinks of a pale ale. Nothing unique or special here, but there are no overt flaws.

Sm: I like the refined caramel malt backbone; it's more evocative than in most pale ales. Light generic floral hops. No yeast or alcohol is detectable. Not a lot going on here; I hope there's more to the flavour. An average strength aroma.

T: Okay. Caramel malt and floral hops. There's a subtlety to the execution. (Stone, subtlety - what?). It's a simple beer but it's well put together. I wouldn't go so far as to call it balanced - after all this is Stone - but it's not bad. Built decently. I expected severe over-hopping in classic Stone fashion, but this is surprisingly underhopped for the style. It's kind of a malt-focused beer, actually. Still, its simplicity holds it back. Not quite refreshing. No alcohol or yeast comes through. A bit too bitter on the finish.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Too dry on the finish, killing the refreshing feel. Decent thickness. Okay presence on the palate. Overcarbonated. Suits the flavours generally at best.

Dr: Drinkable but forgettable. Rather pedestrian. Hides its ABV well. I doubt I'd get it again unless the only other offerings were macro-shite. It's by no means a bad beer; it's just mundane.

High C

Dark amber, tan head. Not a fan of the mild body mixed with cough syrup taste. Not the worst beer I've ever had, it's a stone... But wouldn't order it again

Stone Pale Ale from Stone Brewing