Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stone Pale Ale | Stone Brewing

Stone Pale AleStone Pale Ale
3.85/5
Very Good
Stone Pale AleStone Pale Ale

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 06-23-2001

Ratings: 2,714 |  Reviews: 985
4.58/5  rDev +19%

Appearance: Poured clear amber, with a thick and persistent frothy white head.

Aroma: Pale malt, with a floral / bitter hop aroma that overwhelms the malts. No diacetyl / off aromas.

Flavor: The balance of this beer is dominantly hops, but it is supported well with the malt through the body. This beer has a backbone ;) The two compliment each other very well. Finish is a lingering hop bitterness.

M: Medium body, carbonation and mouthfeel, no astringency or warmth on the palate. Appropriate to style.

O: Perfect impression as far as American Pale Ales go ;)

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%

New find at the beer store. Remarkably bright copper body under a dense off-white head. Not a lot of carbonation. The smell is subdued but resinous. Mouthfeel is light and creamy with a bright bitterness that dances acrros the tongue. The taste is prickly with a piney/citrus first note. There is a hint of orange rind, a baked maltiness follows and is well balanced. There is a lingering mineral flavor reminiscent of some British Ales.

Good but not Great

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%

Sampled on tap at Barley's Greenville - 6/9/2010.

Clear copper-ruby in color, with an off-white head. Aroma is mild hops and sweet malt. Flavor brings bready malt sweetness coupled with a dry, slightly pine & resin bitterness. Quite good - highly sessionable.

4.02/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into a Sierra Nevada Pint Glass

Appearance: reddish brownish, hazy amber. Can't really see through it with a finger off-white head that with good lacing around.

Smell: Caramel, hazel, dark fruity notes, yet sweet and malty.

Taste: sweet orangey caramel maltiness. It's more on the malty side.

Mouthfeel: medium full-boddied with moderate carbonation

Overall: This is a great APA, by far one of my favorites. It has a very rich, yet complex taste. This is an excellent session beer.

3.6/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Beer pours a deep copper /orange color with a 1 finger head that dissipates quickly, decent lacing left in glass. Smell is of mildly sweet malt with a citrus hops aroma. Taste is sweet malt upfront with a mild citrus hop flavor following. Carbonation was good and beer was medium bodied.

A solid Pale Ale but nothing extraordinary. Well balanced.

3.52/5  rDev -8.6%

I'm reviewing the bottle. Gotta say I really like this beer *on-tap* *at Stone*... but I don't get to make it there often enough and every time I open a bottle hoping for that fresh, floral experience, I end up with an overly bitter, one-dimensional brew. Maybe it's that "bon souvenir" effect - the beer's so delicious because I'm drinking it in their lovely garden. I don't know. I'm sure the freshness makes a difference, too.

The beer is not unattractive, though somewhat darker than I expect for a pale. Though even the bottled beer smells fresh, it just doesn't have that captivating floral hop profile I remember. Overly bitter on the palate, harsh without any sort of balance. It's not awful, it's not gross, but it's not pleasurable either. I'll drink a whole one - perhaps in part because each sip compels me to wash the bitterness out of my mouth, which becomes something of a fruitless effort - but I won't have a second.

Last time I had one, I drank it side-by-side with their IPA. I kept asking my friend who poured them, "are you sure this is the pale? Are you SURE?" The pale is darker and, in my opinion, has a less-balanced hop profile than the IPA. It's just not what I want from a pale ale.

Stone Pale Ale from Stone Brewing