Stone Pale Ale | Stone Brewing

Stone Pale AleStone Pale Ale

Stone Brewing

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 06-23-2001

Reviews: 984 | Ratings: 2,713
4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

12 oz. to chalice.

pours a ruddy body with a thin, creamy head that sinks relatively quickly into a swirling film and spotted lacing. nose is quite heavy on the toasted caramel mixing well with floral, grassy hops. taste is refreshing, citric, and mildly sweet, but oddly a bit metallic, as if there's a hint of iron in here. mouthfeel is also pretty nice, well rounded, but a little sharp with the carbonation in the finish. very drinkable - a good beer, but a lot more calm and subtle (in terms of hopping) than i expected from stone.

3.82/5  rDev -1.8%

I am a very big Stone fan and this is new to me. I realize its somewhat of their flagship but I just never saw it around until I was a part of a case split and I saw it for sale by the case.

The appearance is a dark but clear brown with a light tan head that leaves a thin but reliable lace.

Smell is predominantly a sweet nutty malt note with a backnose of subtle hops.

The initial flavor of this beer is a malty nut taste. The hops (for once in a Stone brew) are actually there for balance and not shock.

The mouthfeel is unique in its separation of tastes and regions in my mouth. The sweet malts go straight down my tongue and the hop characters go around the sides and down to the back of my mouth.

Drinkability is probably the best for this brewery. I can drink a good six-pack of these guys.

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured 12oz into Stone brew pint glass. fitting

A-dark amber and pretty cloudy. good head that sticks to glass

S-its got a combination of fruit, citrus. then its got an earthy smell too, almost like wood. smells inviting

T-a little bit sweet, then a bombardment of hoppy goodness that leaves your tongue satisfied. great amount of bitterness IMO. good amount of carbonation too

O-I like this one a lot, Stone sure knows how to make a good brewski. totally seeing myself indulging myself with more Stone in the future

3.76/5  rDev -3.3%

purchased a single 12 oz just to try from the Beer Junction in West Seattle. poured into pint glass.

A: pours reddish brown with orange tint, slightly hazy effect, minimal head, minimal lacing.

S: not much there other than a cedar and burnt orange peel aroma.

T: apple cider vibe without the tang, orange peels, hops from some far corner of the world (that's a good thing).

M: slightly frothy on-bringing followed by a wet and smooth finish. comfortable, nothing too bright or dull.

O: minimalistic pale ale from a complex brewery, most simple and toned down of their brews I've had yet, should be a great introduction for a transition into "craft brewery".

4.34/5  rDev +11.6%

Enjoyed a 22oz bomber of this courtesy of a really good friend who brought it back from California with him.

A: Poured a beautiful, deep red color, almost ruby. Maybe a finger of head which quickly dissapated.

S: Was expecting a little more here. No real discernable hop aroma, perhaps just a faint whiff of malt. Kind of perplexed that a SNPA has more aroma than the Stone PA.

Taste, Mouthfeel, Drinkability: This is where the beer more than makes up for the lack of hop aroma. Since this is a PA, the hops are in well balance with the malt. The malt profile on this one is great, nice hit of caramel, but not overwhelming. As the beer warmed, I noticed a fruityness come out that I hadn't picked up when first sampled. The beer has a full bodied mouthfeel, but everything works in concert so well that the bomber disappeared before I knew it. The alcohol level in this definitely allows this beer to be sessionable if wanted, but I enjoyed taking my time to savor this great west coast pale ale.

My last thoughts on this are, if Stone can make a Pale Ale with this much going on, what on earth must Arrogant Bastard taste like?

4.58/5  rDev +17.7%

Appearance: Poured clear amber, with a thick and persistent frothy white head.

Aroma: Pale malt, with a floral / bitter hop aroma that overwhelms the malts. No diacetyl / off aromas.

Flavor: The balance of this beer is dominantly hops, but it is supported well with the malt through the body. This beer has a backbone ;) The two compliment each other very well. Finish is a lingering hop bitterness.

M: Medium body, carbonation and mouthfeel, no astringency or warmth on the palate. Appropriate to style.

O: Perfect impression as far as American Pale Ales go ;)

3.38/5  rDev -13.1%

New find at the beer store. Remarkably bright copper body under a dense off-white head. Not a lot of carbonation. The smell is subdued but resinous. Mouthfeel is light and creamy with a bright bitterness that dances acrros the tongue. The taste is prickly with a piney/citrus first note. There is a hint of orange rind, a baked maltiness follows and is well balanced. There is a lingering mineral flavor reminiscent of some British Ales.

Good but not Great

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

Sampled on tap at Barley's Greenville - 6/9/2010.

Clear copper-ruby in color, with an off-white head. Aroma is mild hops and sweet malt. Flavor brings bready malt sweetness coupled with a dry, slightly pine & resin bitterness. Quite good - highly sessionable.

4.02/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured into a Sierra Nevada Pint Glass

Appearance: reddish brownish, hazy amber. Can't really see through it with a finger off-white head that with good lacing around.

Smell: Caramel, hazel, dark fruity notes, yet sweet and malty.

Taste: sweet orangey caramel maltiness. It's more on the malty side.

Mouthfeel: medium full-boddied with moderate carbonation

Overall: This is a great APA, by far one of my favorites. It has a very rich, yet complex taste. This is an excellent session beer.

3.6/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Beer pours a deep copper /orange color with a 1 finger head that dissipates quickly, decent lacing left in glass. Smell is of mildly sweet malt with a citrus hops aroma. Taste is sweet malt upfront with a mild citrus hop flavor following. Carbonation was good and beer was medium bodied.

A solid Pale Ale but nothing extraordinary. Well balanced.

3.52/5  rDev -9.5%

I'm reviewing the bottle. Gotta say I really like this beer *on-tap* *at Stone*... but I don't get to make it there often enough and every time I open a bottle hoping for that fresh, floral experience, I end up with an overly bitter, one-dimensional brew. Maybe it's that "bon souvenir" effect - the beer's so delicious because I'm drinking it in their lovely garden. I don't know. I'm sure the freshness makes a difference, too.

The beer is not unattractive, though somewhat darker than I expect for a pale. Though even the bottled beer smells fresh, it just doesn't have that captivating floral hop profile I remember. Overly bitter on the palate, harsh without any sort of balance. It's not awful, it's not gross, but it's not pleasurable either. I'll drink a whole one - perhaps in part because each sip compels me to wash the bitterness out of my mouth, which becomes something of a fruitless effort - but I won't have a second.

Last time I had one, I drank it side-by-side with their IPA. I kept asking my friend who poured them, "are you sure this is the pale? Are you SURE?" The pale is darker and, in my opinion, has a less-balanced hop profile than the IPA. It's just not what I want from a pale ale.

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%

After pouring a pint of this one, there was an average, off-white, frothy head that lasted.

Color was a light amber.

Aroma: Average malts present. Some caramel and straw. Light hops with a hint of grass. Very light yeast with some wood in there too.

It had a medium body, creamy texture, some carbonation with a metallic finish.

Flavor duration was short, so no bad aftertaste. Moderately sweet and slightly bitter.

Pretty good for Stone, not one of their best though.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

A beer haiku for you:

"What a nice surprise!
A California taste treat;
Winner from the West".

I have walked by this beer and brewery so many times, believing it to be one of myriad pricey but underwhelming American breweries with delusions of grandeur. To quote my dear old Aunt Sassy from the Panhandle: 'well, slap my mouth'! Extremely drinkable and tasty APA.
Such a pleasant surprise--will definitely check out more of the Stone Company's offerings.

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance - Copper/red body with an off white head only got 1 finger and it died pretty fast very light lacing.

Smell - Yeast and hops smells good just not very complex.

Taste - Very nice bitter sweet hop taste all the way and kind of taste the yeast but its a weak note.

Mouthfeel - Medium body smooth while its cold and it gets almost creamy after I let it warm up.

Overall - I like it would still rather have an IPA over an APA any day but I would never complain about it. Lovely brew here go grab one for yourself and check it out.

3.97/5  rDev +2.1%

poured from a bottle to a guinness tulip: a hard-ish pour yields a finger of white soapy foam. the head recedes quickly a small ring of bubbly lace. some lace clings to the glass. the body is somewhat cloudy, not turbid though, orangish color. pockets of small bubbles are releasing below the surface.

i catch some hops in the aroma, and a nice crisp malt smell. they're actually in somewhat of a nice balance, which i didn't expect from a stone beer (guess i'm used to all the bigger beers they do).

the taste has a good balance to it. you get both malt (but not much sweetness from it) and hop flavor and bitterness. it's actually quite a nice harmony.

the mouthfeel is just right for this one. a nice medium body. not too much carbonation so that it's still got some bubbles and not an oil slick.

easy drinking. a good session beer for those that prefer a dry pale ale.

4.55/5  rDev +17%

Not pale at all, a deep rich amber with a nice head that floats for a minute or two. Enough lacing to let you know that it's a legitimate beer.

Smells slightly sweet, floral and hoppy, just like a pale ale should.

Tastes like a strong raisin-esque pilsner. Lots of flavor but light and refreshing. Doesn't get any better than this as far as standard APAs go. Sure you can go more hardcore with barleywines and IIPAs, but as far as drinkable session PAs go, this is the bar for me.

Again, refreshing and crisp, with enough gravity to feel real but not enough to weigh you down. Say goodbye to at least three once you start.

Overall, it's an upper-medium priced beer that's well worth it if you're an APA fan. Prefer this over a lot of the more intense Stone varieties, if I'm honest.

3.87/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Pours a dark caramel color with an off white fluffy head. Mostly clear, decent lacing throughout.

S: Getting some pale malt, a little hop and a bit of sour.

T: Overall a pretty smooth taste with some slight bitterness and even a little toasted flavor. Slight lingering hop flavor. I get a touch of the usual pale flavor in this but its much more masked (some might say complex) than most pale ales.

M: Creamy and hearty. This beer really coats the mouth.

D: Fairly drinkable though a bit heavier than I expected.

Overall I was expecting much more from this beer, especially at $11 per 6 pack. I'd stick to the Stone IPA for that price.

4.04/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours out of the bottle with a beautifully classic amber hue. Creates a single finger of head which quickly dissipates it has a lace that just disapears back into the beer.

The smell is malty and a slight crispness of hops

It's taste is of crisp malts up front that disapear almost too quickly into a burned Carmel with a slight bitterness from the hops at the back of the tongue.

It's mouth feel is like champagne very soft and smooth almost a velvety feel.

I not only think I Could Session this beer I am going to do so all weekend.

Great Beer Stone!!!

4.34/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured from a bottle into a sniffer. Thin white head, about a half finger. Perfectly clear light brown amber color.

S - Very hoppy in the nose, floral, sweet. A bit of malty notes. Great smelling beer.

T - Perfectly balanced. Malty at first, the the hops enter later. A bit of sweetness in the finish.

M - Smooth mouthfeel, not overcarbonated. Get a little bit of tingle in your throat. Very drinkable.

O - Wow, great nose and perfectly balanced. Add its drinkability. Excellent beer.

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a light cinnamon brown with an amazing 3 finger light tan head. Smells like like sweet dough and floral hops. Taste is a shock for such a small beer. First tastes like peaches in a caramel glaze with brown sugar mixed in. Follows with nice hops and a grainy finish. Very impressive. Mouthfeel is oh so smoth with a great balance of malt and carbination. Drinkability is a very good. Definately would drink a six of this with NO problem. Stone does it again!!

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

Got to love Stone's bottle, my gf asked if I was drinking the devil's beer. The appearance is red with a nice frothy head. The smell is oakish and hoppy. The taste is rather bitter for a pale ale, but is very smooth drinking. This is a quality beer, great for the style and relatively cheap

4.02/5  rDev +3.3%

I was expecting more hops from the folks over at Stone. That being said, this brew is delecious. Outstanding color, a deep copper/amberish with a big fluffy white head. The head on this beer is outstanding, very much like that on Sierra Nevadas Celebration Ale. I prefer this to Stones IPA, it seems to me to be a bit more complex and balanced with the malts coming through and not so hop dominated. Very nice.

3.12/5  rDev -19.8%

I didn't know what to expect. I love most of Stone's offerings, but I had never tried the APA. Stone is fairly new to Maryland. The color on the pour was a little darker and richer than I expected. Amber tones, and maltier on the nose. I picked up some hops, Centennial, I believe...maybe a little Warrior, but not as strong as the de facto for this style...Sierra Nevada. Nice lacing and a thin, but firm head. Hoppy at the start, which I love, then the malt takes over. A little stronger than I normally would like, but it lends to a good balance. Pretty clean finish for this style.

I liked it. Not my favorite as I tend more towards IPAs, but this is a good brew for friends who aren't the hop-head I am. I love Stone bottles. I don't know if you'll find it in my fridge all the time, but every so often, I'll grab a sixer when I'm in the mood.

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Decent straw/light amber color with a quickly fading whitish head...some lacing, but nothing too exciting...

S- Some maltiness and citrus characters along with some hops...not bad, but nothing too special.

T- Somewhat sweet...sort of what it smelled like...pretty well balanced, but not enough hops for me...

M- Medium bodied...decent carbonation...nothing extraordinary, but nothing bad...

D- All in all another good brew by Stone, but nothing too special...still beats the hell out of most of the APA's out there...

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

this beer is good. it pours a darker than most pale ales amber brown color with a thick creamy head that leaves near perfect lacing. the smell has a very sweet butterscotch and fruity smell it reminds me of fermenting apples. the taste is similar to the smell at fist and flows into a small bite of hops with some faint bitterness that lasts briefly. the feel in the mouth is more creamy than crisp but that's not to say it is lacking any carbonation. i will definatly be picking this one up in my next mixed six pack i grab. Cheers.

Stone Pale Ale from Stone Brewing