Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime" | Stone Brewing

Read the review
Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime"Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime"

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by chugalug06 on 11-13-2012

3.48/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance. Pours a very deep, dark brown with little light coming through and topped with a thin, pale tan head.

Smell. Spicy saison yeast and belgian spices with smokey wood, molasses and a strange perfumey floral smell.

Taste. Charred wood and belgian yeast for the most part. There's a touch of spice and dark malts, but mostly the bitter charred wood and yeast.

Mouthfeel. Medium+ body, medium, quite smooth carbonation.

Overall. A nice experiment, but the smoke didn't go so well with the spicy yeast imo. Not terrible by any means, just not amazing.

3.09/5  rDev -11.2%

A: Black body, with a thick tan foamy head. Very good lacing. It looks beautiful.

S: It has a very dank smelling scent to it. There's some of that catty smell to it, as well as a stale scent to it like old rope or something. The scent punches out in one direction though, and doesn't have a great deal of complexity.

T: Lots of heavy flavors come out immediately. I mean it really kicks me in the mouth. There's a ton of roasted bitterness, there's a pine tree resin character, some mint, and that catty character as well. There's a lot going on, but it seems like too much. The more I drink it, the more it does grow on me. One thing is for certain...I can't ever call this beer boring.

M: The mouthfeel is big and bold. It has a huge body, lots of carbonation, lots of roasted and hop bitterness, and it seems to bite back at the palate. I felt that it was too aggressive and is effectively a palate wrecker.

O: Overall it wasn't a beer for me. I wouldn't buy it again. It was an interesting beer, but I am glad it is only a 12oz bottle. I applaud it for being such a bold beer, but it really didn't have much Saison character and it was too heavy to be refreshing. Looking at it from outside the box, there was still too much going on in the beer to make it enjoyable.

2.99/5  rDev -14.1%

Bottle to oversized wine glass

A: dark brown with hints of red to it but its also pretty close to black as it is completely opaque. There is a dark tan head that dissipates and leaves a ring around the top of the glass.

S: There is a little but of that hopped farmhouse smell but its not really there and there are hints at best of the smokiness though the malt is very present and unfortunately so is the alc.

T: As with the nose there is that saison hop taste but it is very mild and the smoke is there (once the beer warms up) but it is definitely in the background it seems balanced to me but not necessarily in a good way as it is just bland.

M: The mouth feel is oily and fairly smooth which is what makes this beer more drinkable and is probably the best part in my opinion and its nothing to write home about.

O: Well I was expecting a lot more from the three breweries involved, but evil twin is kinda hit or miss for me. Anyways it was just pretty bland no powerful taste or smell a decent mouthfeel and look but it definitely doesn't do much for me, but it also wasn't horrible.

2.8/5  rDev -19.5%

Served in a tulip glass. Poured a very dark brown, verging on black with deep ruby hues at the edge of the beer. Head is substantial, tight, and leaves some really decent lacing. Definitely a good start for this beer.

Served right out of the fridge, there was no aroma to speak of, so I let the beer warm up for a while, holding with both hands to try and help speed the process up. Eventually, I start to be able to smell this saison, but even as it approaches a warmer temp, it is still fairly subdued. What I do get is a very light aroma of hay, wheatgrass, and herbal hops. Smokey? Only in the subtlest of ways, and even then I'm not sure if it is just because I am looking for it.

Finally at the right temp, this beer exhibits a weak mix of smoke, hops and black saison. I expect something more aggressive from brewers like Evil Twin, Stillwater and Stone. I personally think "smoke" is missing from the equation altogether and that even the "Dark Saison" characteristics are a bit lost here.

Dry, medium body and well carbonated. Kinda spot on for where it needs to be for a saison. Gotta give credit where it is due.

Yeah, I was disappointed by the beer a bit. I feel like they advertised this as one thing (Smoked Black Saison) and went after a very "delicate" version of that and ultimately fell short of delivering that unique style. It had good Saison qualities, but missed the boat for the other things.

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

4.33/5  rDev +24.4%

Described on the bottle as a "black smoked saison", this beer looks to combine characteristics of two styles: the saison and the (presumably) American black ale (ABA).

A: center pour into a nonic pint - slightly translucent black body, tan sea foam head three fingers-thick

S: only noticed slight smoke on the nose, dark bitter roasted malt aromas were cut by slightly herbal and floral notes more typical of a pale ale

T: bitterness from the roastiness; crisp hops and bright yeasts - nicely bittered but light aftertaste

M: light and smooth, slight bitter coating on the palate - very drinkable

O: I have to say this beer probably tastes like what you'd expect if you poured a black ale into a saison. For that reason, I thought the beer very good. I thought it looked, smelled, and felt like "the kinda dame worth gettin' in dutch for"

My tasting biases:
I've had several ABAs, being fond of those that have a sweeter taste and fuller feel (like Dark Element and Dark Horse's Special Reserve) as opposed to having those with a more bitter taste and crisper feel (like a Wookey Jack) - but I liked them all, mind you. Moreover, I feel like Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale is probably a perfect middle ground for the style.
Saison wise, I've had more than a few - and really liked tham all - but Foret stands out from the rest as exemplifying what I expect in a saison. Caveat: I have never had the Saison Dupont, which some may regard as the definitive saison.

I see my review leapt way above the average... I believe this beer will improve in rating as it gets more reviews - bearing in mind that it attempts to blend of two styles - a feat I think they pulled off very well.

4.75/5  rDev +36.5%

3.65/5  rDev +4.9%

Consumed on January 3rd, 2013 from a Klokke Roeland goblet.

Beer pours a clear dark brown with deep garnet highlights. Head is less than a finger tall and dissipated quickly.

Aromas: bubblegum and a little banana all but mask a touch of funk.

Flavor is smooth and surprisingly bitter at the end. Slightly metallic, a touch of smoke, some dark malts that are more charred than roasted. Not much of the promised smoke flavor to be found. Almost no funk or farm character, either. Maybe a touch of sour cherry or somethign in the midtaste.

Mouthfeel is a little silky, smooth and thick. Slightly dry on the finish.

The oddest beer I've ever had with the "saison" label applied to it. This is to saison what Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale is to IPA. A decent enough beer to drink, but would be a big fail if rating to style guidelines of saison.

Ratings reflect the beer only relative to the general world of beer, as it can't be properly evaluated as the purported style.

2.3/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from the bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: The beer pours a dark brown with some light coming through at the edges. There is a half finger of light tan head that goes away quickly.

Smell: Sweeter than expected with some fruity notes that remind me a bit of cherries. I'm getting some mild roast and a faint hint of herbs.

Taste: I'm almost at a loss for words. This beer was a bad idea. There is a bitterness in the finish that just crushes anything else that might be going on. There is a fruity cherry note that is pleasant enough. Lots of roast along with a herbal saison component. The finish is full of roast and has a lot of hop bitterness. Just a mess.

Mouthfeel: The body is medium with a lot of tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I really didn't like this one. I'm all for experimenting, but this one was an experiment gone wrong.

2.5/5  rDev -28.2%

2.64/5  rDev -24.1%

Bottle poured into a glass

This is perhaps the worst place to start on my "2013 year of beer" (my attempt to taste/review one beer a day for a whole year(yeah i know i'm not the first))

A lot going on in this one

Appearance- Nearly opaque with a thin tan head that dissipates quickly. very little legs and lacing.

Smell- Smoke , cherry plum/prune stone fruit. slightly sour smelling bready

Taste- roasty pine and a small amount of saison- sourness in the middle that finished with a resiny big hop bitterness at the end. The aftertaste is all hop.

Mouthfeel- dry, high on carbonation a little bit of alcohol warmth

Overall-There are three components to this beer, they are the roastyness, light saison sourness, and the hop character. Now I am all for blending of styles but i think the 3rd component detracts from the other two. I could do a heavily hopped Saison or a CDA it's that 3rd component that is just too much. I wouldn't order another but i am interested in each breweries individual efforts!

3.41/5  rDev -2%

Poued into a stone pint glass.
Dark, black, medium carbonation. Nice half inch tan head that fades as does the lace.

Aroma of dark malts, earthy char and toast.

Taste of dark toasted malts, char of wood, slight smoke and a hint of
Alcohol and hop.

Mouth felt carbonated, soft and left slight dry.

Overall an ok brew, a sipper if need be.

4.25/5  rDev +22.1%

Pours dark black with a modest but respectable head.

Nose has nice roasty characteristics, smokiness, and herbs.

Palate is powerful. Roasted malt, hop bitterness yielding to very light dark fruit, and ending with mild sweetness, even though the roastiness continues thoughout the entire eperience. A longer lasting finish than most beers.

Mouthfeel is creamy with very mild carbonation.

Reminiscent of a porter. Enjoyed this one, seemingly more so than other reviewers on this site.

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

2.68/5  rDev -23%

A: Pours dark, dark brown color with a 1-2 finger head that fades fast and doesn't lace the glass much.

S: Tons of Funk smell. A little smoke. There's a little fruit, a little pine, and a hint of farmhouse. Definitely not what I expect or want from the description of a "Smoked Black Saison".

T: Almost exactly what you expect from the nose - only difference is that you get a little more smoke than smell would suggest, which is a good thing. The funky, wild yeast smell tastes very diluted and doesn't mesh well with the smoke. As a whole, the beer tastes diluted.

M: Very light body, could be thicker, but has a good level of carbonation.

O: I'll give it a 3, for the sheer creativity of the idea, but overall my least favorite of the Stone Collaborations - by a long shot.

Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime" from Stone Brewing