Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime" | Stone Brewing

Read the review
Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime"Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime"

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by chugalug06 on 11-13-2012

Reviews: 188 | Ratings: 646
3.44/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

This is a beer that took me completely by surprise. It is very much uncharacteristic of what I’ve come to expect from saison style beers.
Pours very dark with a think head that dissipates moderately and smells strongly of coffee and roasted grains.
From the appearance of the pour I was expecting a thick creamy outmeal-stoutish mouth feel. This beer, however, is rather light and thin. Very smooth on the palate and is lightly carbonated.
This beers tastes very good, but I repeat myself by stating that it’s unlike any other saison I’ve had before. No detection of spice at all. Balanced, almost unnoticeable hop presence. Tastes of roasted grains with a sweet dry finish.
While it is certainly black, and I can taste the smokiness, I would mistaking have thought this to be a porter.

4.29/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is a collaboration beer with quite a pedigree—Evil Twin, Stillwater and Stone? Sign me up!
But a smoked saison?

This pours a porter roasty. It’s dark black-brown in color with a tight cap of cocoa-colored foam. The aroma is slightly smokey, like a smoked … orange? That’s the best I can come up with—if you’re a BBQ enthusiast stick an orange in your smoker and see how close it smells to this. The smoke profile is the most apparent aspect to this brew. Like smoked notes with a mild hop undertone to it. It’s an interesting aroma and an interesting flavor. Tastewise it has an upfront bitterness with the hoppy floral characteristics buried under the smoke profile. Finishes dry with a bit of pine on it. It’s not like any smoked or dark saison I’ve ever tried before. As I enjoyed this I kept thinking this was more akin to a smoked porter, as it came across more like a hoppy cousin to Stone’s own Smoked Porter. The funky, floral saison notes never emerged, at least not enough for it to speak to the style. In fact, stylistically speaking, it’s a muddled mess—but that’s no reason why I can’t enjoy it for being what it is. The finish is bitter and smokey. As it warms & opens it has a nice piney-resiny finish to it. Really tasty sipper!

3.35/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Ah, the perfect crime. I remember it well... ...Wait! No, forget I said anything! Anyway, this stuff pours a deep garnet-brown topped by a finger of dusty tan foam. The nose comprises light hickory smoke, light soy sauce, mild Belgian yeast, light ruby red grapefruit peeking out from the background, and a few pinches of black pepper. The taste brings in more of the same, with the now-even-lighter smoke duking it out with the yeasty spices and the rindy grapefruit, culminating in a slightly muddled and definitely noisy flavor-din. It almost works, but ultimately falls quite short. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, though smoked beers are usually my bag, this one just didn't do it for me. The flavors never meshed well at all, and the smoke seems almost like an afterthought in the "Oops, this black saison isn't quite there, so let's add some smoke to try to cover things up" kind of way.

3.61/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured into my snifter it comes out with a similar color to root beer. Not a whole lot of foam and was not being gentle. Straight pour into the glass and not tipping the glass. I must say I am surprised. Not a whole lot of lacing but overall its dark and looks good. In the smell it smells good. To compare to other black saisons, it does not have the same scent. Maybe its too fresh but compared to pepe nero it lacks that saison like scents. There is a bit of a belgian yeast character that stands out. Where is the smoke? Well its in the flavor. Its not strong but its there. In regards to saison flavors, they are there but the tartness or dank flavors you may get in a traditional one are really not there. Its not bad. There is not a roasty character for the black malts that is nice and not over bearing. The smoke actually lingers in the back. Nothing extrordinary but its good. I like it but I like the other saison in the Collaboration series better. The hops, as advertised are hard to find in the flavor. There is an earthyness in the taste. Perhaps that is it but for someone that really enjoys beer its hard to find. The mouthfeel is average. Its a saison. But one thing is for sure, its not bad its just not doing it for me. I rarely give an average score for beer. I normally really enjoy beer and can find some positive traits. I am not sure where these guys were going with this. Is it bad? Heck no. Its a really good beer. I must admit I am being critical based on the hype, the names on the bottle and the fact that I have really liked the collaboration series. For transparency I am really not into smoked beers but this is a very mild smoked beer and if I was someone who was wanting to enter this category of beer this is a good start. I would totally say get this beer. For a smoked beer lover, this will be a let down. For a saison fan, give it a shot. Its good but there are better ones out there (if you are a beer nerd like me).

3.26/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a tulip glass jet black with a nice looking large fluffy tannish colored head that stuck like glue leaving multiple globs of lace as it settled slowly.Aromas were dry and very earthy...almost dirty,light spiced phenols and mild smoke rounded out the nose.The palate was dry as well with earthy notes and phenols mainly,the earthiness was to big for my lining,the smoke comes into play more in the aftertaste.Not overly impressed with this offering sad to say.

3.43/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle to my Sierra Nevada balloon glass

A: Pours a thin dark almond brown color that settles to more of a dark cola body in the glass. Dark khaki head is formatted with some larger bubbles that struggle to retain only to finally subside out to a crown. Some thin sticky ribbons of lace here and there but otherwise rather clean on the glass.

S: Smells a bit tangy with some Saison yeast character. I am getting those signature spices paired with some smoky meats. Clove, star anise, and bubblegum. Kind of subtle aromas overall. Interesting mix too.

T: Tastes like spiced ham. Has a subtle meat smoke flavor throughout with infusions of clove, peppercorn, and more star anise. A sort of weird mix of licorice and garden herbs with hints of charcoal from the black malts. Little sharp tang and burnt ashy aftertaste too. There is a rather low perceived bitterness to the beer and the alcohol is definitely well hidden. Unique brew but not quite working for me.

M: The mouth feel is thin and a mostly watery. There is a high level of spritzy carbonation that helps the texture but this is still pretty wet and rather light in body.

D: Not a terrible beer and the balancing subtle approach of flavors is it’s saving grace. I can almost see myself getting into the direction of this style blender with the spicy meat combination but in the end this one just does not work for me.

At least I can now say I have tried a smoked black saison so I have got that going for me.

3.35/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle into a Stone "Saison du BUFF" stubby tulip snifter

A - Deep dark brown. Practically black, nearly opaque. Decent amount of dark tan foam. Not your classic saison look.

S - Nice minty yeast esters, coriander. Somewhat faint, but pleasant. Gets smokier as it warms.

T - Like a smoky dunkelweizen. Smoke hits you up front, but fades into the background where it lingers pleasantly. Smoke and dark roasted malts become more prominent as it warms. Get it too warm and the coriander starts to become ham-like. You should keep it on the cold side.

M - Nice mouthfeel. Not unlike a dunkelweizen. Pretty smooth.

O - Enjoyable until it gets warm. Would be best, IMO, for food pairing. i had it with a falafel sandwich and they went great together. i imagine this would be really good with braised lamb shank. Overall impression is that this is a pleasantly smokey dunkelweizen that you should drink cold. Not for saison lovers - not really a saison. But, if you like smoky beers or dunkelweizens, you might enjoy it. As for me, I will probably only have it again if I have a food pairing in mind.

2.97/5  rDev -14.7%

12 ounce bottle poured into a La Chouffe tulip. Just a few shades shy of black with a head that's disappointing in terms of volume, but is tightly formed and leaves a fair amount of lacing up top.

The nose on this is like Exhibit A of why I haven't been a huge fan of the black saisons I've run into so far. It's pleasant enough but roast and light chocolate notes blunt any notions of the typical saison stuff. Dark fruit, mild spicing, bready. I dunno, pleasant but not what I'm expecting. It has to warm up plenty before the smoky notes begin to amount to much

The smoky flavor is more pronounced, and there's a sharp roast bite to this stuff. Oddly it's kinda thickish and creamy. It's yeasty, but without the crisp and bright spicy/fruity/lively goodness you want in a saison. A rare dud from Escondido.

3.27/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A - Pours pretty black, like a dark porter. Tan one finger head with a little lacing.

S - Pepper, grass, funk, smokey... Pretty unique.

T - Smoked porter meets a saison. Roasted malts, white pepper & yeast. Some hoppiness peaks through.

M - Lighter body, high carbonation.

O - I'm not wild about the mixing of these two styles. I love a black IPA, just not a black saison. The only perfect crime is that they stole my money.

3.55/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a mostly clear dark brown with one finger of offwhite colored head settling to a thin ring, with a few splotches of lace left on the glass. Smell: roasty and slightly burnt upfront, dark brown sugar, notes of chocolate, grass, hazelnut. Taste: sweet throughout, with mild acidity and grainy twang hitting midsip. Mild roast, spicy and grassy hopping, nut-related tannins, a suggestion of funk that doesn't deliver. Finishes drying with some residual sweetness. Black saison, this one does not evoke a particularly good saison, but it's not a bad beer, just a bit scattershot... higher marks if it was labeled as a rando Belgo-hybrid.

3.57/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

A- pours an extremely dark brown, bordering on black, a small one finger off white head appears and quickly dissipates down to pretty much nothing, spotty lace

S- spicy and floral although you really have to get your nose into the glass to get it, a little peppery, slightly bready malt, also a little roasty as well, really not a lot going on with the nose to be honest

T- bizzare, you get a tiny bit of the floral aspects of a saison real early but it goes away almost immediately, roasted malt and an aggressive hop back really take over, it almost takes on a porter taste, not sure how I feel about this

M- medium body, nice balance of carbonation, flavor gets all over the palate, nothing to complain about here

O- I wouldn't call this a bad beer, but I feel like the taste didn't take on enough saison characteristics, maybe if they backed off the roastiness it would have worked a little better, I've had better collabs from stone

3.23/5  rDev -7.2%

I am not one to crap on Stone's collabos, but this one was subpar. Not a bad beer, but as I review my notes I find a beer that looked black w/ lace rings and mostly a malty aroma w/ very lil in the hop or yeast department. Taste is more of the same as the beer's malts of weet and dryness overpower the noticeable hops and the not at all noticeable saison qualities. I wouldn't call this a black saison at al but more like a porter or stou w/ some belgian characteristics. Not bad, but not worth trying if you haven't already.

3.74/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The Beers of California

#48

Bottled Date: 2012

A: Black and opaque with a thin khaki film of head.

S: Mostly burnt barnyard funk with an acidic edge, dark grain, chocolate and earthy bitterness.

T: The funky bite is there built on a dark grain, bread and brown sugar malt foundation. The malt is predominately grainy with a dash of liquid smoke adding a char edge. There is also some banana yeast esters, bittersweet dark chocolate presence, along with an earthy, leafy hop bitterness which also has tinges of citrus peel. The finish is mildly dry with a spicy, acidic bite.

M: The feel is medium to full with a graIny chewiness and a good amount of carbonation adding another layer of interest to the experience.

O: A truly unique brew which is the product of a collaboration between Evil Twin, Stillwater and Stone. Very interesting with layers and layers of complexity which mostly works. With all things new, this brew is difficult to review but the originality found here ultimately succeeds.

4.02/5  rDev +15.5%

very dark, cant see through it; nice creamy tan head on top which diminsihes to nothing in the time it takes to urinate.
smells... like hops foremost, but a little something malty too....
dang, anything stone is hops, aint it? even a stinking saisson... tastes like al the rest. why does everyone think their beer is so good?
okay, so overall, it's supposed to be a creation among breweries to be a saisson but it tastes like a mellowed ipa. just my opinion. i get the smoked malts, but it just seems that we have to have an overpowering amount of hop to be called stone. am i wrong? my experience of a saisson is a taste of fields. grass, maybe, but not pine. malts, to be certain, but not roasted to the point of being the only way you can taste them...
but it looks nice in the glass . . . .

3.76/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. No dating info but it's new release so it's fresh. It poured black with ruby edges. It had a good sized head that settled into a thick collar and covering film. Great lacing with lots sticking.

The aroma was interesting. The saison elements were pretty hidden with the dark malts and smoke leading the way. Can't pinpoint it exactly but something about it just didn't hit me right. Not bad but not good either. The taste was again more dark malts and smoke than saison which isn't a knock since it's a smoked saison. But I really couldn't find any saison elements in it so if you'd told me smoked {insert style here} then I wouldn't have argued with you. Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation and smoky aftertaste.

Overall, an interesting sounding beer and while I love smoked beers and saisons this one just misses the mark for me. Avail here in TX. Rotation: glad I tried it but one is enough.

3.85/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours dark black with a moderate sized tan head and some lacing.

S: Grass, lots of citrus, especially lemon. Very pungent and funky.

T/M: Really wild and hard to pin down. Very hoppy, with big floral and citrus flavors along with a strong piney, grassy element. Somewhat bitter up front, with some funky, yeasty notes, and then a sweeter finish. The malt base is subtle but present, and provides some stout-like hints of caramel and chocolate.

O: A very odd beer, but it's certainly meant to be odd. Big hops,funky saison yeast, and stout notes are combined and never quite blend together. It's very unique and interesting, and works about as well as this crazy idea ever could.

4.08/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured near-black with a finger of light tan head. Weak aroma of roasty cocoa with a hint of smoke.

Moderate carbonation and a full, creamy mouthfeel. Dark, roasty chocolate up front followed by some fruity esters, a touch of mesquite, and a coffee-like bitterness on the tail end.

Strong flavors that don't quite meld, but that's half the fun. Pretty nice!

4.01/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours is a nearly black color, with a dark tan head. Had decent retention, and left a nice trail of foamy lacing down the side.

The aroma comprised of pepper, some herbal notes, yeast eaters, grass, and mild backing smoky char note. The smoke was subtle, not over done and lender a nice uniqueness to the aroma.

The more I sipped it the more I enjoyed it. It started a bit more smoky and meaty than the aroma entailed. Then moved to a white pepper and spice note, quaffs of yeast esters, with a smoky, somewhat bitter and herbal finishing note.

The feel was good, was light in body, but was a litter undercarbonated and didn't have that crispness that I enjoy with a good refreshing Saison. Still, it was nice overall.

I love smoked beers and Saison, so I had to try this...and I like it. It's a well executed mashing of of the two, not over done, but kept within the Saison realm. I can however see how this could rub some the wrong way so, if you're open enough to it, keep an open mind.

3.87/5  rDev +11.2%

A- Black body with no signs of brown, or light coming through. Sticky and foamy tan head that hangs around for awhile.

S- Spicy yeast aroma, dark roasted malts, smoked malt.

T- Almost tastes like a combination between a smoked porter and a dark saison. Smoke and dark roasted flavors come through a lot at the beginning, with the middle and finish offering spicy yeast flavors typical of a traditional saison. The combination works pretty well together.

M- High carbonation level with a smoother mouthfeel probably due to the darker malts. Overall pretty drinkable.

O- Definitely pushes the boundaries of a saison, but works pretty well. Worth a try.

4.3/5  rDev +23.6%

(Served in a tulip glass)
A- This beer pours a jet black opaque body with a thin light tan film of head that is supported by bubbles that race out of the abyss and stick to the bottom of the head.

S- The roasted black malt is very mellow with a cold smoke note in the finish. There is a nice saison yeast ester aroma that turns a bit to new sneaker aroma as it opens, but the aroma always stays light.

T- The nice saison yeast character takes on some dry bubble gum qualities followed by a smooth black malt mellow finish. There is a club soda and cold smoke note to the after taste. As the beer opens some lemon tartness grows quite a bit in the finish. It could be hops but not really distinct, but very pleasant.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with no alcohol heat

O- This has all the potential for a train wreck but I would say it truly is the perfect storm. All the flavors come through but they are in just the right balance that it doesn’t get ugly. Each sip made me want another sip just out of pure wonderment. The beer is light and bright even though it has some black malt and smoke flavors. Is this the holotype of a Black Saison?

3.14/5  rDev -9.8%

On tap at Cottonwood in Houston, TX

A: Pours a dark black color with some ruby around the edges. A two finger beige head forms, and gently recedes. Light lace is left behind.
S: Very neutral in the nose. Some toasted malts, dry bitter chocolate. Really not much else.
T: Well, like the nose there is not much here. Nothing really to make out other than some toasted malt, cereal grains, burnt toast, and bitter chocolate in the finish.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Fairly crisp, dry, and smooth. Not hard t drink. Though not something I particularly enjoy. I can't see myself coming back to this.

Just blah. I have never been a huge fan of Stone. Though their beers are always packed with something, whether or not I like that is another story. An uncharacteristically...uncharacteristic offering. And what the hell is a "Black Saison" anyway.

4.2/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A collaborative effort from all the good folks at Stone/Stillwater/Evil Twin
After reviewing I realized this was my 1800th review, cheers!

LOOK: Pours a deep brown with a light off white foam that leaves good lace. Has good staying power, and was served in a chalice.

SMELL: Bread, toast, chocolate, grass and slightly funky Belgian yeast.

TASTE: Moderately tart in a Belgian fashion upfront giving way to notes of dry cocoa, coffee, herbs and hops. Mild peppery spiciness paired with a presence of molasses. Dry hopped flavor comes through well.

FEEL: Really nice, smooth and the carbonation is strong and slightly drying, right where it needs to be. Almost creamy, and spicy.

OVERALL: To hell with judging this beer to any one style, it's a conundrum. A very good one at that. But, for being a smoked Saison, the smoke is not very strong. It had more of a pleasant roasted malt flavor.

3.48/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance. Pours a very deep, dark brown with little light coming through and topped with a thin, pale tan head.

Smell. Spicy saison yeast and belgian spices with smokey wood, molasses and a strange perfumey floral smell.

Taste. Charred wood and belgian yeast for the most part. There's a touch of spice and dark malts, but mostly the bitter charred wood and yeast.

Mouthfeel. Medium+ body, medium, quite smooth carbonation.

Overall. A nice experiment, but the smoke didn't go so well with the spicy yeast imo. Not terrible by any means, just not amazing.

3.09/5  rDev -11.2%

A: Black body, with a thick tan foamy head. Very good lacing. It looks beautiful.

S: It has a very dank smelling scent to it. There's some of that catty smell to it, as well as a stale scent to it like old rope or something. The scent punches out in one direction though, and doesn't have a great deal of complexity.

T: Lots of heavy flavors come out immediately. I mean it really kicks me in the mouth. There's a ton of roasted bitterness, there's a pine tree resin character, some mint, and that catty character as well. There's a lot going on, but it seems like too much. The more I drink it, the more it does grow on me. One thing is for certain...I can't ever call this beer boring.

M: The mouthfeel is big and bold. It has a huge body, lots of carbonation, lots of roasted and hop bitterness, and it seems to bite back at the palate. I felt that it was too aggressive and is effectively a palate wrecker.

O: Overall it wasn't a beer for me. I wouldn't buy it again. It was an interesting beer, but I am glad it is only a 12oz bottle. I applaud it for being such a bold beer, but it really didn't have much Saison character and it was too heavy to be refreshing. Looking at it from outside the box, there was still too much going on in the beer to make it enjoyable.

2.99/5  rDev -14.1%

Bottle to oversized wine glass

A: dark brown with hints of red to it but its also pretty close to black as it is completely opaque. There is a dark tan head that dissipates and leaves a ring around the top of the glass.

S: There is a little but of that hopped farmhouse smell but its not really there and there are hints at best of the smokiness though the malt is very present and unfortunately so is the alc.

T: As with the nose there is that saison hop taste but it is very mild and the smoke is there (once the beer warms up) but it is definitely in the background it seems balanced to me but not necessarily in a good way as it is just bland.

M: The mouth feel is oily and fairly smooth which is what makes this beer more drinkable and is probably the best part in my opinion and its nothing to write home about.

O: Well I was expecting a lot more from the three breweries involved, but evil twin is kinda hit or miss for me. Anyways it was just pretty bland no powerful taste or smell a decent mouthfeel and look but it definitely doesn't do much for me, but it also wasn't horrible.

Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime" from Stone Brewing