Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale | Stone Brewing

Added by HalfFull on 12-05-2012

3.9

Ratings: 1,591 |  Reviews: 307

4.99/5  rDev +27.9%

Wow. Most amazing thing I've tried! Bought 4-19-15, drinking 4-20-15. Must have been a huge batch if only brewed once and am still able to buy. Really wish I could have tried all of them. This will for ever be my all time favorite beer.

4.89/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.89/5  rDev +25.4%

Poured from a bomber to a Tulip

A- jet black, 1/4" brown head

S- egg nog, figs, time, clove, mint, earthy, bark, herbal, roasted malts, peppered & sweet jerky

T- herbs & spices, sweet smoked wood, pepper, hint of chocolate

M- medium body, low carbonation, belly warming alcohol

O- caught me completely off guard when i poured this and a jet black oily elixer emerged. Stunned me when i took my first sniff! Like opening up a spice cabinet, so many herbs and spices attack the senses and burn tbe nose. It's so earthy and spicy in both aroma/flavor. I have never tasted anything like it. I bought another to age but i think i might have to buy another, just to drink it again.

4.88/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Its like Great Lakes Xmas Ale on Steroids...Nice lacing...to bad I am drinking this at Memorial Day...oh well. Reminds me of the Xmas season. Definitely has the appearance of a stout although the head is somewhat darker. The head btw hangs in there, I served in a Warsteiner Mug and could not see light through. This Beer definitely stood up to the appearance a beer should have served in that mug.

4.84/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Black as night, black as coal. I want to see the sun blotted out from the sky, and I did. Brownish, tan head with a tasteful amount of lacing

S: Ginger, spices, licorice, sweetish

T: Candied fruits, raisins, plums, Christmas spices, currants, and like a hint of cedar

M: Good for this flavor profile, but perhaps minimally carbonated

O: A very fine beer indeed and would drink it any chance I could

4.81/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a growler - got it filled on 12/13/14 at Stone.

Pours smooth, dark, no light passes through. Nice one finger head formed and dissipated relatively quickly. Smells of yuletide spices: clove, cinnamon sticks, ginger, candied plums, mulling spices, nutmeg, vanilla, orange peel, molasses.

Flavor is complex but oh so smooth and well-rounded. Tastes like a frosted gingerbread house. Plentiful holiday spices provide a rich body to the flavor and the finish is smooth and a little bit dry. This one has aged very gracefully and continues to be a hit whenever I open to share with friends and family. One of my favorites in the Vertical Epic series and in the style family of Belgian Strong Dark Ales.

4.8/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Drank on 4/5/15

Bottle date of 11/08/12

4.79/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Really loved this beer, I have two more to see what happens with more age. Delicious

4.78/5  rDev +22.6%

Strong aroma has malty and yeasty notes and a firm overtone of spices - I get clove, ginger and maybe allspice. Thought I smelled coriander, though that’s not listed as an ingredient. It pours like a stout - a deep, warm sable with a thick, fine-bubbled tan head. Flavor - woooooooo, mouth-filling, strong and herbal; woody, licorice, ginger, roast malt, bitter hoppy, subtle orange and nutty notes. This beer must be sipped slowly! Thick, firm, smooth texture has a strong and persistent tingle. Stones last "triplet date" beer is a winner!

4.77/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm having this almost 3 years later. I want to smell it instead if drink it. But upon taste it has a very pim

Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing