Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale | Stone Brewing

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by HalfFull on 12-05-2012

Ratings: 1,593 |  Reviews: 311

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +7.9%

I can't tell if my scores are all inflated because I'm sad to see this series end or because it's simply an EPIC beer. We'll see.

The appearance is head and shoulders above other beers. I prefer dark and this is dark. I've seen darker, but that's splitting hairs. Up top is why this beer is top notch in the looks dept. The head is thick, retains exceptionally well, is brown and leaves its mark all over the glass in the form of lace. My eyes have not seen better.

I like spicy beer in the winter and this is it. Cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg are the key players and they don't disappoint. If I stick my nose deep, I can pick up a bit of roasty something in the form of bittersweet chocolate.

The spices don't dominate on the palate like they do in the nose. The flavors are more roasty and again, bittersweet chocolate is there. Nutmeg and cloves dance on the tongue but the cinnamon is gone. Smoke.

As the bottle mentions, it's dry. There's a splash of sweet, but it quickly turns smokey and bitter, though never over the top. The dry finish means the bitterness from the chocolate and hops lingers well, well, well into the swallow. In the background, there is some heat from the alcohol. it's full bodied and while not easy to drink, it's exactly what it's supposed to be.

Overall it's a great American version of a Belgian strong dark ale. Lacks the sweetness and smoothness of those from over the sea, but it's very American in its aggressive ways. Wish I'd bought more than one.

4.23/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this on tap a few months back, now reviewing out of a bottle.

Pours jet black, much like the color of a stout but this has a great head and lace. Appearance is a mind trip since you think you should be drinking a stout with a great head, yet you know it's a Belgium Strong.

The smell is great. Tons of nutmeg and cinnamon. Two smell that I love. It does have a small metallic smell hidden behind the nutmeg and cinnamon but to be honest I only pick it up after I tasted it.

The taste is velvety with what you would expect from the smell. The nutmeg and cinnamon are very dominant and very well blended into the beer. However, I pick up a bit of metallic aftertaste from time to time which then I picked up from the smell too.

Overall, a very well put together beer which really is meant to drink in the winter rather than when I'm drinking it. Only a small flaw of a twinge of an aftertaste that knocks this down a bit. I really enjoyed this beer as a different kind of feel and would definite recommend it.

Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing