Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale | Stone Brewing

Ratings: 1,592 |  Reviews: 310

1.25/5  rDev -68.1%

1.25/5  rDev -68.1%

1.48/5  rDev -62.2%

Very pretty looking beer but that is where the fun stops. Real nice black color too it, great dark tan head that sticks around for a bit. I smell mostly clove and some other spices thrown in. The taste at first was smooth coffee but with too many spices thrown in. That was when it was really cold, the flavors were subdued. As it warmed, dear lord. Yuck. The clove and spices began to just overwhelm the whole thing. Tastes like liquid black jack gum. Just plain awful. Can't really judge mouthfeel when I am wreching. Overall way too many spices. Just plain gross. Maybe with a few years of age this would mellow into something decent.

1.5/5  rDev -61.7%

1.53/5  rDev -61%

The look of it makes you want to like it. However, when the spices overpower the base, body, and everything else you want to enjoy about this beer.... For me, this was just terrible. Ginger, anise, and whatever else overpowers this beer killed it for me. I'm more of a huge high-end sour drinker but occasionally stray to an IPA or stout. This is terrible. I could make it through the bottle in an effort to not waste my money and get the feeling but... Tasted terrible.... smelled slightly worse. Nothing I would ever buy twice. They threw a spice grenade in this. Tastes like you're chugging an upper-middle class Christmas wreath.

1.6/5  rDev -59.2%

22 oz bottle.

Pours a dark, thick chocolate brown with a thin dark tan head. Aroma of gingerbread, licorice, molasses, burnt bread, and stale rubber. Flavor is... wrong. Clash of sweet gingerbread, grab bag spices from the potpourri aisle in the crafts store from hell I've never been to, "balanced" by a light burnt ash, bad coffee and rubber taste that mixes with the sweet like oil and water. Syrupy and sweet, vile throughout. Joke is on us with this series of beers as the early beers that we feared wouldn't hold up were at least tolerable. The last few year's releases that experimented with random additions were on the whole undrinkable. And this... thing.

1.68/5  rDev -57.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Dark black with a less than one finger tan head with good retention for the abv, and spotty lacing. Looks more like an Imperial Stout than a BSDA. The aroma has cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice. The aroma of the spices is so strong, that I can't smell anything else. I like these aromas in pumpkin beers, but the aromas here are much stronger than the aromas in pumpkin beer, and are way too strong in my opinion.

The taste is dominated by the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice, all of which are way too strong. There is a combination of sweetness from the spices, and charred roasted malt which clash with each other badly. Whoever thought these flavors would work well together was badly mistaken.

Medium bodied with too much carbonation. Finishes dry and bitter. The aftertaste is similar to brushing your teeth ,then eating peppermint candy while drinking coffee. I usually like or love almost everything Stone makes, but this is a huge exception. I'm glad I didn't buy more than one. of these. This beer does not resemble a Belgian Strong Dark Ale in any way.

1.75/5  rDev -55.4%

1.79/5  rDev -54.3%

appearance: Dark impenetrable, ample dark tan head that lasts well.

aroma: Wood char, cinnamon, allspice, clove, dried old rose bouquet, ashy mineral character. No yeast ester to speak of. Minimal malt/sweetness.

flavor: Char, heavy roast, overpowering burnt Christmas potpourri, dried stale roses, ashtray burnt character.

mouthfeel: Thick body, though dry and ashy/astringent. Finish is long unpleasant wood char.

overall impression: Unpleasant in many ways. I really tried to find a reason to like it. I even let it warm to see if more malt or something redeeming would arise – and finally dumped half of it.

1.87/5  rDev -52.3%

Great looking beer but sadly not one I could drink. The nose and flavor were complete spice bombs dominated by clove, anise, ginger (?) and other flavors I couldn't hardly get past to enjoy the base beer.

What's interesting is I went into this beer with zero knowledge and was even surprised when I saw a dark stout-like beer (I was expecting a blonde color for whatever reason). I guess my point is I didn't go in intending to dislike this, but unfortunately did. Overly spiced to the point of ruin for me.

2.06/5  rDev -47.4%

Not a favorite here. I'd heard such great things about others in this series, and love Stone beers. March is definitely not an ideal time of year for this one. The appearance was dark/black, the nose, mostly clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, the taste reminded me of when I ate a tablespoon of nutmeg as a bored teenager. I don't usually like heavy spice beers, and this one says right on the side of the bottle it is an Ale with Spices, so no one to blame but myself here. Overall, just too spiced for me.

2.08/5  rDev -46.9%

Very dark almost black beer. If I hold it up to the light, I can see a slight brownish red tint. No head, just some momentary fizz.

Strong clove in the aroma. Some sweetness. I'm not picking up much else in the aroma.

Way too heavy on the spice flavors. Tastes like I'm drinking a spice rack. A mouth full of cloves. Nasty.

Medium bodied with a dry bitter finish.

Really not impressed with this beer. I'm glad I didn't cellar it for a long time and finally drink a bottle of cloves after years. Though, maybe the spice character would have faded after a while.... I'll never know.

Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing