Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale | Stone Brewing

Added by HalfFull on 12-05-2012

3.9

Ratings: 1,591 |  Reviews: 307

3.49/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Pours nearly black in color with 1+ finger of a tan head. Body is opaque.

Smell: Smells like a spice bomb. Ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, cocoa powder, slight roasted malt notes.

Taste: Gingersnap cookies, roasted malt, slight notes of chocolate and coffee. The spices really just overwhelm rather than compliment the other flavors.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Somewhat thin mouthfeel given how big the beer is. Carbonation is medium.

Overall: Not a fan of this one. They really overdid it with the spices, making it unbalanced and pretty difficult to drink after a few ounces. Best way I can describe it is an overspiced imperial winter warmer. If that sounds like your thing, then this beer is for you. Otherwise, I would avoid.

4.25/5  rDev +9%

2.68/5  rDev -31.3%

22oz bottle. The end.

A: Opaque black with a thin brown head. Sticks to the side of the glass.

N: Orange, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, chili pepper, molasses allspice, and pumpkin. To call this Christmas in a bottle might make it sound better than it is, but it’s apt.

T: Bitter and spicy. Lots of flavor, but they’re not what I’d call good - in fact it’s more of a massive overload.

M: Thick and dry. Medium bodied.

O: This is my least favorite by far. There’s just too much going on here, and it never comes together - it’s the throw everything into the kettle approach which I don’t much like.

4.25/5  rDev +9%

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Black glass holds a thin tan cover that leaves sticky tide marks as I work my way down the glass.

Smell: Clove and the other spices are pretty heavy even now almost a year later. Can't get any other scents from under the heavy spices.

Taste: Spices are front and center, and overwhelm just about everything else. A little more cinnamon than the nose, but just a hint of underlying malt sweetness pokes out before more spice flavors beat it down.

Mouthfeel: Tiny bubble carbonation keeps the medium heavy body lively. Slick oily finish and slightly numbing alcohol.

Overall: Not opening the other bottles any time soon. I'm hoping the spices will die down and let the beer come out. The hints I get are good, but damn this is licking the bottom of a spice cabinet.

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

3.74/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bottle poured into pilsener glass.

A - Pours dark. And I mean dark. It's black, even in the light. A smallish brown head formed after a slow pour. Could be pronounced with an aggressive pour. Good looking beer.

S - Lot's of malt, and a huge roasty smell. Cocoa, roasted chestnuts, and sugar. Even a hint of ash. Very nice smelling beer.

T - Suprisingly, I didn't love this stuff. The taste itself wasn't bad, it just wasn't great to my taste buds. The roasted characters of a bock as noted in the aroma, those were quite plesant. However, I noticed a sourish aftertaste that I can't really put my finger on, which was not pleasant. A lot going on, and while the taste is good, that aftertaste was odd. I was not in a hurry to finish because of that reason. Possibly past the expiration date, who knows.

F - As a dark ale should be, the beer is very thick. Was still drinkable, although it's certainly a sipping beer. Easy enough on the throat and gut, though.

O - I usually love Stone brews, and while I didn't hate this stuff, I doubt I'll buy it again. Good enough tasting Dark Ale (Bock and Dopplebock fans will like this, too), but the aftertase really hurt my rating. I would drink this again if I happen upon, but as I said, probably won't buy it again. I would recommend it though, for fans of dark and flavorful beers. Just not worth the $9 I paid for it.

Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing