Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale | Stone Brewing

Ratings: 1,591 |  Reviews: 307
3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

3.96/5  rDev +1.5%

A thin head on a pitch black body.
The aroma is loaded with black pepper, dark fruits, molasses and caramel. Amazing.
The taste is dark... molasses sweetness, black licorice, plum and grapefruit bitterness. Quite complex with some bold flavors.
The texture is sticky with moderate carbonation and a heavier body.
It's a sipper.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

4.32/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours mahogany with 3 fingers of mocha colored head. Stellar head retention & very good lacing

S: Dark fruit, licorice, cinnamon, nutmeg, all-spice

T: Follows the nose, figs, a touch of red pepper & ginger, orange peel & cloves, some dryness. Much spicyness, figs, tobacco, & I swear I taste the rose hips ( hibiscus tea come to mind as well ) as this warms, big time woodyness as well, plus just a touch of charcoal & coffee notes. Finishes dry with cinnamon, woodyness, figgyness, molasses raisins, & clove

MF: Medium bodied, sticky, near zero carbonation

Nice complexity & drinkablilty; this one will age well I'm sure

4.36/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This was my first exploration into the Vertical Epic series. I wish I had gotten into craft beers earlier, so I could have tasted more of them. Now, I must track them down one by one. Side poured with vigor from the bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance - As black as used motor oil, with a thin tan head that recedes quickly and leaves no sign of lacing. That doesn't bother me too much. Nothing real impressive about the presentation of the beer. I like the bottle and the backstory though.

Smell - When they said this ale was brewed with spices, they weren't shitting. Cinnamon, licorice, cloves, nutmeg, molasses, the list is long and varied. The nose on this brew is quite unique, I think the licorice and cloves really make their cases strong. I could smell the brew as I poured it from a decent distance.

Taste - The taste is very complex and multifaceted, much like the nose. All of the above mentioned spices play a part on the palate. There is a bitter note to it, especially on the back end, but a sweet Belgian yeast and the spices on the front. So complex, I really enjoyed it. ABV is masked completely.

Mouthfeel - Although I think it is a little thin, this beer finishes so clean and smooth. Again, the ABV is masked totally, making it very easy to quickly drink this beer. A little bit of a bitter bite on the back end.

Overall - An excellent beer from front to back. Highly recommended, I think Stone has outdone themselves. Now I need to find the other years of this series, as well as go buy another '12 and cellar it. A very good example of the style, with a unique Stone twist. Good job fellas.

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

This Belgiam Ale when poured was a thick, dark brown with one finger of tan foam, but a load of lace on the side of the glass. The smell was sort of complex. It smell of dark and woodsy roasted malts, along with a bitter aroma of spices. When tasted, the taste was of a bitter, roasted malty cedar, cloves and allspice and a hint of vanilla and almonds. The bitterness was very evident on the finish, but also the spice and all other components too! This is a different Belgian Ale from other ones I've had.

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

First time trying a Vertical series beer and I am left unimpressed. Stone makes some fantastic beer but this to me falls slightly short of the Stone benchmark. Pours a dark small head and has a decent aroma. The mouth feel for me was a little thin and I feel it lacked overall character. I have since passed on purchasing this beer which continues to be on some shelves as of now.

Bottom Line: This was a slight let down but still a decent beer.

Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing