Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale | Stone Brewing

3.9

Ratings: 1,591 |  Reviews: 309

4.04/5  rDev +3.6%

22oz Bottle served in a pint glass

A - Pitch black, Creamy two finger brown head that stuck around a while, Nice lacing and some alcohol legs that were visible. Resembles a Stout if you were going on looks alone.

S - Reminiscent of a nice Christmas or Pumpkin Ale... Nutmeg & Cinnamon - very sweet on the scent

T - Lots of layers. More Complex than I expected. Malty sweetness, the spices are definitely coming through. You get the Belgian yeast and there is a very mild and pleasant bitterness on the back end. Extremely drinkable and does not feel like 9% at all - I could be in trouble... drinking this too quickly I think. If you take a drink and wait a few you do get that orange peel at the very end.

M - Medium to Medium-Heavy and stout-like. Perfectly carbonated - easy drinking.

O - Enjoyed this quite a bit - unfortunately I have not had any of the other Vertical Epics. I can't really think of a style that this would fit into. It looks like a Stout but tastes like a Chocolaty Gingerbread Cookie. I won't rate it on the style because I don't believe this is a Belgian Strong Dark Ale but I will rate it as it's own style and leave off with saying that it's a tasty brew.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

3.37/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Belgian Strong Dark Ale? I had thought this a Stout when I had it. Served in 12oz tulip. Poured a solid black, no translucence, with over a half-inch of medium brown head that had good retention and nice sheets of lacing.

The aroma was very malt heavy, and had some light roast notes and a touch of fruitiness as well (perhaps from a Belgian yeast?). Whoa!! There's a lot going on across the tastebuds. Some fruit, some definite alcohol, some grain, some yeast, some roast. This is certainly a multiple personality brew.

The body was solid but a bit thin (remember, I thought that this was a stout when I took my notes) but still enjoyable. The beer did have sharp, harsh finish that I didn't care for. Drinkability was OK, but this is a "one & done" type of beer for me. Maybe if I stumble across a bottle in a couple of years, I'd try again, otherwise I won't miss it. Overall, an OK brew that's worth trying if you see it. I didn't particularly care for it but, YMMV.

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A-black with a nice thick tan head

S-strong scent of cinnamon, licorice, dark roasted grains, nutmeg dark belgian spices, and some cocoa. smells good! there's a lot going on here, smells like a christmas beer.

T-comes in with a strong taste of cinnamon and nutmeg. it's actually fairly bitter. there are dark belgian spices that come out stronger in the after-taste. it's definitely good, but I'd the bitterness is the dominant trait here.

M-really heavy carbonation with a slightly dry finish, very much like a raw belgian

O-tastes like a really bitter christmas dark belgian ale. the bitterness is actually overpowering, and almost takes away from the flavors, making this not the most drinkable beer. It's such a unique beer that I recommend you going out and trying it, but make sure you have it with a few friends, you might not want the whole bottle.

4.19/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Fantastically aromatic with holiday spices including cinnamon.
Pouring this into a chamay goblet, it looks thick and dark and velvetty lusious. The color is a deep brown almost black even at the edges. I gave this brew a hard pour and the results were like that of a nitro but not the tall head one expects with nitros. The head was small brownish but dense and any swirl refreshes the head.
Taste is big and malty with generous spicing with molasses and cinnamon.
Drinks smooth and thick with a semi bitter finish. As it warms it goes south big time.
Reminds me alot of Anchors holiday brew but without the tree limbs and stuff.

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into the Vertical Epic glass.

It's extrememly dark brown, even the edges, where a little light shows, is dark brown.

Smell isn't super strong, but smells like Christmas. It's like liquid dark gingerbread cookies.

The flavor is dark but not very earthy. There is a dark tea character with some toasty, maybe even burnt, spices like something burnt a little in a pan. I also detect the scent of black coffee.

It feels dark, like tea and black coffee with a bit of tannin.

4.75/5  rDev +21.8%