Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale | Stone Brewing

Added by HalfFull on 12-05-2012

3.9

Reviews: 306 | Ratings: 1,581
2.98/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I've never reviewed one of these VE ales before, so as luck would have it, my good friend picked up a bottle and agreed to share it with me. Portion of a 22 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip. From two day old notes.

A: Pours a very dark brown color. The head is a creamy one-finger khaki shade. The general appearance is almost stout-like.

S: Stone really didn't dick around with the spices, did they? There is insane cinnamon, ginger, clove, and nutmeg on the nose. The eye-watering spiciness evokes Harpoon's (overspiced) Winter Warmer in a way. Still, I'd love more of the base beer to come through.

T: The aroma didn't deceive me, this is spiced to fuck and back. It opens with a heavy-handed explosion of cinnamon, ginger, clove, and nutmeg. After a while, it fades into a long dark fruit finish (plums, mainly). Touches of roasted nuts also appear. Complexity is good, but unfortunately it's complex in a messy, imbalanced way.

M: This one has a pretty thick body. A shame it had to follow the devastatingly drinkable La Terrible, because this one just seemed indolent and flabby in comparison. Still, alcohol is decently concealed.

O: This brew is meh not because it's boring and lacking pizzazz, but because it's pizzazz is haphazard and unfocused. That, and Christmas in July kind of sucks.

3.82/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep black color with a skim head which gives way to edging and a couple strands of lace. The aroma is very good and complex. There is a roasted malt backbone with hints of chocolate but also a lot of spices. There is cinnamon, nutmeg, and a hint of Belgian yeast. I smells like fall and Christmas. The taste follows suit but just a little off. There is a roasted malt backbone. There is a big nutmeg presence along with some cinnamon. The back end leaves a almost overly bitter dark chocolate flavor with hints of licorice. The mouthfeel is a little slick and velvety. Overall its a solid beer, love the look and aroma but the taste left me off a little bit.

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Stone's 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale a few months ago for $7.99 at The Lager Mill. I've never had any beers from this series and since this is the last one in the series I thought I should give it a try, I'm not really sure what to expect with this beer. but since it's from Stone I'm going to assume it will be flavorful, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage, released for 12/12/12. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label is pretty simple, but it had a nice clean look to it and I like the description of the beer and the series. It poured a very dark brown color that was bordering on being black and it hardly let any light come through with two fingers worth of dark tan head that was almost brown and died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, the color, head and lacing were all very nice.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of spices, all the spices in the description stick out, but it's the cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg that seem to stick out the most and they make for a pretty spicy aroma. Up next comes some roasted malts that impart some sweet and light dark chocolate aromas along with a slight bit of coffee that go nicely with the spices but they could be a little more balanced since the spices seems to dominate this beer. Towards the end I get a nice Belgian yeast aroma. This beer had a good aroma, the spices were a little dominating but the end result was an aroma that was very similar to a ginger bread cookie and I enjoyed that.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by lots of spices, the cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg still stick out the most and are still a little too dominating. Up next comes a lighter amount of roasted malts that have a lighter amount of bitter chocolate flavors with a little more roasted malts towards the end. Up next comes some Belgian yeast that adds a little bit of complexity to this beer. On the finish there's a medium amount of sweetness with a just a little more sweetness with an aftertaste that is dominated by the spices with just a slight bit of roast. This is a good tasting beer, but I wish it had better balance, the spices are a little too dominant and it would be nice if the malts showed up a little more.

M- Smooth, a little dry on the finish, slightly sticky, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation that was slightly prickly. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer, but I think the carbonation could be toned down just a little.

Overall I thought this was nice beer, It isn't the best example of a Belgian Strong Dark Ale, but it could very easily be called a Winter Warmer and it would be pretty dead on for the style, it's all about how you view this beer and I view it as being much more like a Winter Warmer. This beer had decent drinkability, the alcohol was well hidden, it was fairly smooth, not filling, and the flavors did a decent job at my holding my attention, but I think a bomber is enough for me, more than that and I think the spices would start to wear on me. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma and appearance, they were both pretty good and I really liked how close to a ginger bread cookie that the aroma was. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance, the roasted malts needed to show up a little more since the spices were just so dominant. I would buy this beer again, I'm pretty sure they won't make it again, so I don't think I'll have the chance to buy a bottle, but I think they should make it again since it's a great winter brew and I would like to have a bottle of this around Christmas time, it was worth the price and I would recommend this to anyone who likes winter warmers or heavily spiced beers. All in All I liked this beer and I thought it was pretty solid, the ginger bread aspect was pretty nice, but i felt like it needed more balance, it would be nice if the roasted malts shined through a little more then they did. Good job guys, I can't say how this does against the other vertical epic beers since I haven't had them, but I enjoyed this one and appreciate it's uniqueness, keep up the good works guys and keep blurring the line between styles.

A: pours pretty much black with a finger of dense mocha colored head that leaves some lacing and fades to a small mat
S: smells of spices and yeast with a bit of sweetness
T: tastes of spices, a bit of chocolate, more spices, a slight sweetness and a hint of dark fruits. swallow brings a bit of roasty character, and more spice
M: soft and slightly prickly carb with a medium-heavy mouthfeel and a slightly drying finish
O: Pretty interesting beer. the spices are a bit heavy but it's not excessive or really off putting. They could stand to be dialed back a bit more to play more of a supporting role but other than that it's still a solid beer

4.36/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A- This edition of Vertical Epic pours dark black-brown with a fluffy tan head. The head goes the distance, for sure- displaying exquisite lacing!

S- The nose is crazy. Nutmeg, licorice, clove, allspice, and sugar cookies take center stage- almost drowning out the mellow cream and chocolate. This almost smells like egg nog. Weird.

T- Damn good. Roasted malts, molasses. up front; give way to caramel, nutmeg, cinnamon, sweet bread, and brown sugar. Hops add a scarce piney note in the finish that's easily overwhelmed by the other Christmas flavors. Nutmeg, and soft brown sugar linger on the palate. Somehow, though, Stone manages to keep this brew from being overly sweet. It is phenomenally balanced! Now, I'm tasting cream soda? Every sip unravels another layer. to say this beer is complex is an understatement. This beer is knocking my socks off!

M- The mouthfeel is the best part. This beer's nose and taste sound thick and syrupy. On the contrary, this concoction is light to medium weight, with subdued carbonation. This beer is actually very easy to drink!

Overall, this beer is awesome. I bought two bottles. I want to drink two bottles. But, my logical mind is telling me to age one of these. Stone claims that this is a "Belgian style abbey-ish beer". Personally, I'd call it a Belgian Style Stouty Brown Ale. Semantics aside, Stone Brewing knocked this one OUT OF THE PARK! If you are fortunate enough to see one of these bottles somewhere: BUY IT!

3.7/5  rDev -5.1%

Started our Vertical Epic tour counting down from 12.

Dark brown pour with a dark tan head. Foam holds up well on a humid summer night. Aroma is a dense melange of herbal, floral, menthol cigarettes and molasses. Tastes like citrusy mint in a hot, roasty background. Dark, hot and messy. Bold. What it lacks in coherence it more than makes up for in flavor.

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: It has a nice jet black color to it. It has a nice tan head that dies down moderately and leaves some nice lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of cinamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, molasses, dark fruit, sweet caramelly malts and some breadiness.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has all the christmas spices (cinamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspices) with sweet molasses, dark fruit and sweet roasty and caramelly malts.

Mouthfeel: It has a low/medium carbonation with a very nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with great flavors and aromas.

4.67/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Just don't drink this. Takes the Stone Arrogant Bastard to a whole new spicy level. Mix of slow and warm drinkin spicy goodnes. Don't judge just drink. There is ALOT going on in here but this beer really needs to be tasted slow. apparently it will-be better years to come.

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on 12-6-12. Poured into a tulip glass

A- Black with a half-finger head of small tan bubbles

S- chocolate, hints of coffee. I do get some of the nutmeg and allspice.

T- dark roast flavors, noticeable bitterness, and a nice spiciness.

M- slick, but on the thin side for the abv. Drinks like a cup of hot chocolate. Carbonation only slightly prickly.

O- The promised "Belgian abbey-ish" characteristics are very restrained. It is certainly drier and more in line with an imperial stout, and the spiciness confuses it even more. There is some sweetness, though. I don't usually like beers with a lot of added spices, but this one is balanced and well done.

1.68/5  rDev -56.9%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Dark black with a less than one finger tan head with good retention for the abv, and spotty lacing. Looks more like an Imperial Stout than a BSDA. The aroma has cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice. The aroma of the spices is so strong, that I can't smell anything else. I like these aromas in pumpkin beers, but the aromas here are much stronger than the aromas in pumpkin beer, and are way too strong in my opinion.

The taste is dominated by the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice, all of which are way too strong. There is a combination of sweetness from the spices, and charred roasted malt which clash with each other badly. Whoever thought these flavors would work well together was badly mistaken.

Medium bodied with too much carbonation. Finishes dry and bitter. The aftertaste is similar to brushing your teeth ,then eating peppermint candy while drinking coffee. I usually like or love almost everything Stone makes, but this is a huge exception. I'm glad I didn't buy more than one. of these. This beer does not resemble a Belgian Strong Dark Ale in any way.

3.59/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Opened June 2013

A - Black body, used motor oil. Dark khaki head with nice retention and lace.

S - Smoked pepers, jerk rub, allspice, black pepper, light caramel malt, milk chocolate.

T - Huge spice and floral note. Allspice, grains of paradise, blackened spice, burnt gingerbread.

M - Medium body. Dry, nutmeg finish.

O - Too much spice for my taste. Ironically this could use a few years.

3.9/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours nearly black with a flourishing tan head of creamy foam. Dwindled slowly to a cap and ring that never faded and left some great lace. Inviting and dark almost bewitching. Nose is a mix of spices and fruit. I smell cloves cinnamon, is that ginger? and nutmeg. As it warms it opens up to some yeast, orange and a fruit smell that I couldn’t quite pin down is rose hips. The toasted malt gives it a breaddy cookie like quality. There’s a breath of alcohol and a marvelous hint of chocolate. It’s a Xmas cookie in a glass. One of the most complex spice profiles I’ve encountered. Taste is lighter than it smells and not as sweet as it smells either. Smooth, burnt around the edges with plenty of bread underneath it all. Not too fruity. A little alcohol to taste is really nice in this. Hops finally come up bitter to take it into the long dry finish. It even has a charred quality that’s not disagreeable. Warming and very festive. This is a hard to describe strong dark ale that really surprised me. Far from overly sweet it’s one I would have again. I wonder how it ages?

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Obsidian. Not much of a head. More of a mocha colored film on top. Not much lace. Just a thin ring of khaki around the rim

Aroma: Well they were going for Belgian Christmas and they nailed it. Lots of cloves and cinnamon. Some nutmeg and allspice. Gingerbread. Not really picking up the orange zest. Maybe faintly. Some molasses and lots of roasted malt. Very nice

Taste: Big roasty malt. Lots of spice but mostly cinnamon and nutmeg. Good amount of cloves. Some bitter chocolate. Belgian yeast. Dry alcohol. Would be awesome in winter. A bit out of place in June but that's my own damn fault

Mouthfeel: Very smooth but very spicy. Also really drying. Very little carbonation

Overall: Stone accomplished what they intended to do here for the most part. This is a pretty nice brew and it makes me long for winter but overall a little too dry. I haven't tried any of the other vertical epics so I'm not sure how this stacks up but I'm happy I got to try this

4.19/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Looks like this one has been in a dark closet for 6 months or so. Chilled and allowed to warm up for about 45 mins.

Pours darn near black, mocha head, leaves a thick n rich head, quality, tiny bubble and nice looking fine sheets of lace.

Burnt malt, dark bitter chocolate , vanilla on the nose

Super smooth, big, bold, complex and flavorful Belgian Strong Dark Ale. Dense flavors of dark and bitter chocolate, more vanilla. Snap of belgian yeat in the rear.

Heady brew. Dangerously awesome

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

This was a good beer, but not extraordinary.

Appearance - Looked like a Belgian Strong Dark ale through and through, but not as much head/lacing as I would have liked. Something like an Abt 12 really is the peak of what a Belgian strong should look like, and this just felt a little weak compared to that, but still very nice. Dark brown, off white head.

Smell - Wow, amazing. Probably the best part about this beer. Christmas in a glass. I got cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and so much more. It smells like the candles you like around Christmas time, absolutely fantastic. Warm and sweet.

Taste - Like it smelled, but with a dry finish. You got everything, the sweetness, the spices, and the alcohol. Not overpowered but could of been a BIT more balanced. Tasted great, but in a Belgian dark I think it can be more simple than this, they went for super complexity.

Mouthfeel - Really good, thick, coated your tongue, but as it warmed it got even better.

Overall - I think it's a really good example of the style but they didn't need to go as nuts as they did with the flavoring. Keeping it simple would of been better in my opinion.

4.09/5  rDev +4.9%

22oz into a chalice. Pours a deep chocolate brown w/ a thin mocha head that settles to a thin film.

Aroma is big holiday spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, allspice, and orange zest. Smells like gingerbread cookies. Also, dark fruit and molasses.

Taste (naturally) follows nose. Tons of cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg; almost tastes like a redhot. Brown sugar, molasses, also just a hint of coffee and bitter chocolate.

Mouthfeel is thick and coating, but not sweet. Finishes semi-dry with a lingering spicy aftertaste.

Overall a spicy, flavorful, big, bold beer that doesn't hold back. Classic Stone, for better or worse.

4.88/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Its like Great Lakes Xmas Ale on Steroids...Nice lacing...to bad I am drinking this at Memorial Day...oh well. Reminds me of the Xmas season. Definitely has the appearance of a stout although the head is somewhat darker. The head btw hangs in there, I served in a Warsteiner Mug and could not see light through. This Beer definitely stood up to the appearance a beer should have served in that mug.

4.51/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

This ale is as dark as a stout. I can see a tiny bit of transparity around the edges of my glass, but it's pretty much opaque black. The head is small (maybe around a half an inch), but it is made of fine (what I like to call "high-quality"), light brown foam.

It smells like the spices which are described on the bottle. I definitely get a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. There is also a bit of dark fruit, molasses, and a gingerbread scent. A wonderful aroma.

The taste is much like the smell, but even more complex to me. The spices and gingerbread character are prominent (I LOVE the spiciness), reminding me of Christmas cookies and dark fruit cake, but there is also a noticeable combination of tartness and bitterness which I'm inclined to attribute to the orange peel this ale was brewed with. The after-taste has the unmistakable roastiness of a stout, and there may also be a little of the breadiness I expcet to find in a Belgian strong dark ale, but it kind of hides underneath all the other flavors. This beer also has that signature Stone-esque bitterness, which counter-balances the sweet Christmas cookie traits. Sublime.

The mouthfeel is thick and substantial, with lively carbonation. This consistency does an excellent job of supporting the myriad flavors and deep dimensions of this beer.

This is an excellent ale, no doubt about it. And so unique as well. It may be categorized on this site as a Belgian strong dark ale, but it's so much more than that... Certainly a must-try-beer if you can find it. Expertly-crafted, distinctive, throughly enjoyable, and unforgetable.

Poured almost blackish brown hue with tan head that was two finger high, slow dying and left a lace ring. The first aroma I get is one of sweetness, then some yeast and citric orange peel and then a strong malt aroma, mixing some roasted/heavy malts with caramel and/or candi sugar type malts (I did notice faint sniffs of cinnamon, but the label helped me come to that conclusion). Full-bodied, thick and almost sticky, there is a heavy maltiness to this beer that is both sweet from caramel and bitter chocolate to touches of syrupy or molasses and just sugariness (I can't really explain some of the sweet notes that hit) to dry, roasted, even toasted or coffee-esque malts that provide balance. As for fruit flavors I don't get much other orange and citric and maybe some sweet fruit. The malts lead to a dry backbone of taste (ABV is hidden) but this is aided from some very minor clove/peppery spices and a touch of bitter hops. I hate to say this but I find myself agreeing with the label (I hate reading labels before or during writing a review) but this is, in a cliff notes summary one could say, a classic Belgian with a Stone twist. I found it to not necessarily be a Belgian, per se, but a quality beer that hits the sweet notes as well keeps balance so you know you're drinking a beer and not a milkshake or java.

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a dark brown, black with a semi-bubbly head of tan foam on top.

S: Spicy. Fall spices. Nutmeg. Pumpkin.

T: Cloves! Fall spices. Nice -- unique -- sipping brew. Pretty good.

M: Velvety. Body a little thin. Smooth.

O: Better than Vertical Epic 11.11.11. Dark and Spicy -- good winter brew. Quite enjoyable.

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

22oz bottle poured into a large mug

Pours black with a smallish fine head. Can't see much carbonation, but that might be the opacity. Honestly, looks more like a stout than a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. Smell is overpoweringly black licorice. Extremely sweet. That is all I can smell. And it's not my favorite smell.

Taste is more black licorice with some additional medicine flavor. Still very sweet. Alcohol is noticeable. It reminds me (for some reason) of jaegermeister. This is clearly not my deal.

Mouthfeel is a strange combination of sticky and dry. Overall...the black licorice character (as I perceive it) is a no go. It's not quite so bad that I'm willing to drainpour the whole thing, but I'm not sure I'll make it through the whole thing, either.

If you like black licorice, you should try this beer.

4.17/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle into snifter.

A: Pours near black with two fingers of dense light brown head that slowly faded into a melted ice cream film. A ton of stringy lace was left down the glass.
S: Nutmeg, orange zest, allspice, cinnamon, apple juice, clove, brown sugar.
T: Follows the nose with the addition of wood, caramel, black pepper, and chocolate. Tons of spice, solid hop bitterness in finish. Leafy with rose hip and a hint of tobacco. Fruity, spicy apple cider aftertaste. Clove and nutmeg standout. Complex and it all works.
M: Thick body, soft fluffy carbonation, airy, full mouthfeel.
O: Very interesting brew. Can easily pick out all the ingredients and they work together.

3.81/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Black with light brown head. Decent retention and some lacing.

S: Mainly getting clove and sweet caramel malt. Allspice and unidentified herbal smell. Barnyard. Interesting.

T: Reminds me of clove cigarettes (djarum or gudang). Some coffee, sweet malt, and clove upfront. A bit of raisin and prune. Some pepper. Cinnamon on the aftertaste. Interesting but can taste a bit weird sometimes.

M:Medium-full bodied with low carbonation. Wet.

O: Interesting beer, I was expecting worse.

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured a deep brown or black with a half-finger tan head. Looks quite stunning. Scent dominated by nutmeg with hints of allspice, cloves and cinnamon. I like those scents a lot so it worked for me. Flavor begins with a hit of sweet malt, sustains this throughout the sip and picks up flavors of nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, and a bit of allspice and orange peel. The finish is smokey, with a roast, almost smoked malt flavor that carries into the aftertaste. Unique, but I think it may be too bold. Mouthfeel is heavy bodied, with fairly high carbonation. It's a big, flavorful beer, with a lot going on, but it may be too much. I am not sure how to approach this beer. Also, despite being said to be Belgian Strong Dark in style, it drinks a lot like a cross between that and a heavily spiced stout. It's an interesting beer for sure, and I do think I'll get another bottle to age and see how it goes, but I'm just not sure what to make of it as it is right now.

4.11/5  rDev +5.4%

Deep brown to black in color. Poured with a thick beige foam that reduced to a thick cap that left random sticky lacings on the glass. A variety of aromas: dark chocolate, dark fruit, orange zest, dark malt, and spice. On the heavier side of medium bodied with slightly delayed, dense, rich carbonation. Clove, cinnamon, and pepper flavors are dominant throughout. Dark chocolate and dark fruit flavors beneath. A subtle hop bite near the end as this finishes with a spicy aftertaste. The spice flavors are a bit overwhelming. Would be interesting to see if the flavor balance improves over time.

Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing