Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale | Stone Brewing

Ratings: 1,591 |  Reviews: 309

4.75/5  rDev +21.8%

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%

Poured almost blackish brown hue with tan head that was two finger high, slow dying and left a lace ring. The first aroma I get is one of sweetness, then some yeast and citric orange peel and then a strong malt aroma, mixing some roasted/heavy malts with caramel and/or candi sugar type malts (I did notice faint sniffs of cinnamon, but the label helped me come to that conclusion). Full-bodied, thick and almost sticky, there is a heavy maltiness to this beer that is both sweet from caramel and bitter chocolate to touches of syrupy or molasses and just sugariness (I can't really explain some of the sweet notes that hit) to dry, roasted, even toasted or coffee-esque malts that provide balance. As for fruit flavors I don't get much other orange and citric and maybe some sweet fruit. The malts lead to a dry backbone of taste (ABV is hidden) but this is aided from some very minor clove/peppery spices and a touch of bitter hops. I hate to say this but I find myself agreeing with the label (I hate reading labels before or during writing a review) but this is, in a cliff notes summary one could say, a classic Belgian with a Stone twist. I found it to not necessarily be a Belgian, per se, but a quality beer that hits the sweet notes as well keeps balance so you know you're drinking a beer and not a milkshake or java.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a dark brown, black with a semi-bubbly head of tan foam on top.

S: Spicy. Fall spices. Nutmeg. Pumpkin.

T: Cloves! Fall spices. Nice -- unique -- sipping brew. Pretty good.

M: Velvety. Body a little thin. Smooth.

O: Better than Vertical Epic 11.11.11. Dark and Spicy -- good winter brew. Quite enjoyable.

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

22oz bottle poured into a large mug

Pours black with a smallish fine head. Can't see much carbonation, but that might be the opacity. Honestly, looks more like a stout than a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. Smell is overpoweringly black licorice. Extremely sweet. That is all I can smell. And it's not my favorite smell.

Taste is more black licorice with some additional medicine flavor. Still very sweet. Alcohol is noticeable. It reminds me (for some reason) of jaegermeister. This is clearly not my deal.

Mouthfeel is a strange combination of sticky and dry. Overall...the black licorice character (as I perceive it) is a no go. It's not quite so bad that I'm willing to drainpour the whole thing, but I'm not sure I'll make it through the whole thing, either.

If you like black licorice, you should try this beer.

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%