Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 2,982 | Ratings: 10,791

ok, i really should be going to bed right about now. but i cant wait. and what better way to end the day, than with a stone ipa??

pours a hazy yellow, with a slight orange hue. minimal carbonation. the head actually grows as the beer is poured into the glass. finishes off reaching about an inch, and slowly settles to about a centimeter (yes!! standard and metric!!). very stable. nice lacing. lightly tanned in color. somewhat enjoyable to watch as bubbles grow and burst, only to be replaced by more, smaller bubbles.

aroma? well, it hit me before the bottle cap hit the counter top. pine, followed by some pine, and finished off by a bit of pine. seriously there could be other aspects to the aroma, but i dont care. this smell should come standard with all new cars!

bitterness adds some heat to the flavor, backed up by some biscuit maltiness. sort of reminds me of arrogant bastard, but that was a long time ago. a fullness to the hops in bitterness and flavor that is admirable. leaves a lasting impression on the palate.

mouthfeel is full, without being too filling.
good lord this is fantastic! . each sip increases the desire to take another sip. wish i had better access to other highly rated ipa's to compare this with. but until then, this will have to be: 5.0 - exceptional

My favorite all around regular IPA hands down. I'd buy this one every single time if it wasn't so expensive for a 6 pack. I understand though why it costs so much because its really top notch, top quality beer. Many IPA's use a lot of the similar American hops but for some reason the way this is brewed it comes out very unique in its smell and flavor. I can't compare this to any other beer really. The smell is just fantastic it has a huge smell of pine and this pungent perfume citrus, floral, flowery smell. Others have said this could be a cologne for hop heads and really it could. It has that sort of a thick quality hop perfume smell to it underneath the upfront pine smell.

The taste is just like the smell hitting you with crisp refreshing hops up front a surprising bready malt quality and that famous long bitter citrus/ pine finish. It's very drinkable and probably the most refreshing IPA I've ever had without being too light bodied. If you are looking for hop bitterness this one is it. This IPA has a higher bitterness than most double/imperial IPA's... not to mention a ridiculous amount of hop flavor. I just can't say enough good things about this beer.

The hop bitterness, the bready malt and the hop pine flavor is everything you could ever ask for in this style of beer. West coast IPA's usually have this sort of pungent different smelling and tasting IPA but this one nails that unique quality of a west coast beer. The only one that I've tried that comes close is Sierra Nevada's Torpedo ale but I'd say this has a richer taste to it plus more hoppy bitterness. Thank you Greg Koch for my favorite IPA to date.

Amazing Amazing Amazing

oh you don't know? but it is my friend, it is.

smacks of hops. smooth start to finish. and within twenty four hours , your palate will be hankering for another nip. Hop-a-delic! And a serious and quite available winner.

I'd like to start off by saying this is my favourite beer in the world, so if you're looking for an objective opinion, keep looking.

Stone IPA pours a golden straw colour, almost perfectly clear with a healthy head and very respectable lacing. The smell is completely dominated by the hops, but its so much more than that. Citrus and pine tones are mixed with an ever-so-slight maltiness to form the perfect bouquet. The taste is, well, incredible. The most intensely piney hops I've ever tasted in a beer (not including Ruination of course) are somehow balanced up front with the malt they've chosen. The aftertaste is almost just as intense and it's quite dry. Overall, I've already said it. A perfect example of an American IPA, and a perfect beer.

So I got this at a gas station and totally thought I was getting ripped off at first but went with it anyway to take a chance on this beer (i had already paid and they weren't going to give me money back). Anyway I checked it out on here and saw there was some pretty good hype about it so I got pretty excited. Spoiler alert; the hype is real. Considering the style of beer this is it is pretty much as close to perfect as everyone makes it out to be.

I poured hard from bottle into the trusty weapon that is my pint glass and poured one of the most gorgeous beers to ever sit in front of me. Frothy, white-ish head. The color was an ambiguously solid gold. The beer stands and looks clear but hazy in a way that you feel it could also nearly be opaque. I held it up to light and saw yeast particles nearly microscopic in size that helped give the beer its perfectly clear/solid complexion.

The smell is perfect. Strong and hoppy. Somewhat fruity but not in a "fruity beer" way.

The taste is full. And when I say full I mean FULL. It's bittersweet. it starts with a flip flopping of bitter and sweet hop notes. Very strong hop character. Then you also get a touch of the fruit similar to the nose with a very yeasty finish. An interesting thing I noticed, and quite enjoy, is that if you take a minute between gulps, a lingering aftertaste of pineapple subtly resides on the pallets as the hop bitterness settles. I also would like to note that one of the Alström brothers said to burp after taking a gulp. I tried this and it was pretty awesome, really helps to kickstart the pineapple lingering effect.

Mouthfeel is thick and wholesome. The beer is about as heavy as you will assume it to be in both mouthfeel and alcohol content. 3 of these honestly kind of does the job for me.

I have never been sure about when or not I am having a (almost) perfect beer, but I was sure this time. It was way good. Perfect for any hop head and anyone who likes to get the funny feels off a few deliscious brews. I am savoring the last few sips of my last unit out of the sixer and can say I will definitely be getting this again.

This is the only beer I have ever had and even thought of scoring a perfect 5. And yes, as the tips suggest, I would say with conviction that nothing could be improved in this beer. It pours a medium brown with a thin head. The nose is pure hop and the first taste backs that right up. Then the pleasant surprise is a "fruitty" pop at the back end, but the bitterness of the hops still hang around. This is "the" beer for me. The "stuck on a desert island with only one choice" beer. Try it, you will not be dissapointed.

This is my favorite IPA and a goto beer for me.

Pour - excellent voluminous, frothy pour; leaving a gorgeous three finger, frothy, sea foam head.

Appearance - Very nice, clear amber. Lacing is outstanding.

Nose - The nose is not powerful, but does bring up a nice light grapefruit/pine/resin scent.

Taste - Yummy. Not thick and or over the top; but rather a perfect balance. Ruby Red grapefruit juice, pine resin, yummy sweet malt.

Finish - perfect. Bitter, long lasting, citrus sour.

This is truly a world class beer.

All bow down to the beer gods...Thank you Stone for this, this liquid poem of great beer. I wish I could put into words how much I love this beer. It is my all time favorite beer. Everything about it is great, the slight caramel taste it starts with, followed by a twinge of metallic, finishing with a slap in the face of hops...Also got to love the fact that its 6.9 abv. I love that 2 or 3 of these and I'm feeling really good...Thank you Stone...

Appearance: Pours with a 1-finger head that dissipates rather quickly, leaving a light layer on top & a nice lacing throughout drinking. Golden color with a slight haze

Smell: This beer smells amazing. The hops aroma flows right through you.

Taste: Tastes better than it smells.

Mouthfeel: Goes down clean with a nice hoppy finish, leaving your mouth watering after every drink.

Drinkability: Yes!

Perfect hoppy, mix of pine and lemon. My favorite IPA by far, west coast has it.

Appearance: Golden with white top
Smell: Piney, strong hoppy.
Taste: Zesty, with lemon plenty of hops.
Mouthfeel: Crisp, refreshing.
Perfect IPA.

Appearance: clear golden body with a nice-sized fluffy white head. The head has nice retention and decent lacing.

Smell: crisp; of bitter hops but with some sweetness in there too.

Taste: quite bitter, with a bit of a metallic taste to it. Citrus, but more pine profile. The crackery malt is almost an afterthought, but manages to balance out the hops well.

Mouth Feel: crisp and refreshing, with lower carbonation. Sticks to your tongue.

Overall: No doubt about it, this is a well-made IPA. It is on the bitter side of the style, and is a tasty and refreshing beer.

purchased a 6 pack of this beer hoping that it was like the other Stone beers as far as quality.

i guess i did not believe that there could be a perfect beer, imo this is it. poured beautiful into my glass. nice color, excellent head, wonderful lace throughout. the aroma is knock you on your ass with a smile on your face hops and citrus. man the hops! the taste is everything the aroma promises. excellent hop with a hint of malt. nice smooth dry finish but not scrape your mouth with sandpaper dry.

this IPA is the best i have had to date. this is why i give it all fivers.

suckem up and movem out!

I liked this beer a lot. Looking for a good beer I'm glad I happened upon this one. I give it an A.

Appearance is a beautiful amber, nice and cloudy with a good head of foam. A robust citrus smell with a bitter taste. Not too hoppy. A fine IPA, a very enjoyable experience. I will be getting more of this asap.

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

A: Huge egg-white frothy head that lasts. This beer has a beautiful light-amber color that is crystal clear. Looks very drinkable in the glass.

S: Wow! This beer fills the room with its aroma. Limes, citrus, and pine. This brew has an incredible aroma.

T:Taste follows the aroma with a huge hop presence. Citrusyand piney from the hops, and sweet from the ethanol.

M:Medium body with slick mouthfeel. Carbonation tingles on your tongue,, a nice complement to the hoppy bitterness.

D: If I had the money, this beer would be in my house at all times. A must try.

Appearance: This beer was served in a 16-ounce pint glass. When poured from the tap a handsome, ivory white head formed the width of two fingers and held steadfast for a delightfully pleasant amount of time, which allowed me to fully immerse myself in the consumption of this divine nectar.

Smell: At first, one might assume that the aroma emanating from the beer is just like every other IPA they have ever had and they would be utterly and completely correct! There is so much complexity in the odour of this beer but it still has been crafted with an uncanny sense of refinement. These guys knew what they were doing; so much so that they bottled it and sold it and the rest is history.

At first you get hops, beautiful hops, spicy hops, earthy hops, piney hops, fruity hops. Mostly, hops….

Taste: The taste of this beer is utterly and perfectly sublime. The hops, much like greed in the politics of today, been ubiquitous throughout every aspect of this beer and the flavour factor is no different (77 IBUs!). Think of this beer as a massive earthquake formed deep in the ocean that generates a tsunami with each subsequent after-shock continuing to create wave after wave for a significant period of time.

Immediately, your mouth puckers and is slammed with a tidal wall of spicy hop flavours (thank God for the colonization of India and the invention of dry-hopping). After the initial onslaught, the aftershocks, while not quite as intense, come in waves of varied hop flavour for several minutes after the first drink. As the spice begins to give way, there is a sense of floral earthy flavours, and a hint of citrus, a beautiful creation, indeed.

Let’s not forget the little guys who make this whole process possible, our yeast or Saccharomyces cerevisiae give a tremendous finale, imparting their own unique flavours amongst the hop invasion. The malt is in perfect harmony with the hop characteristic, moderately sweet in comparison to the hops.

Mouth-feel: The feel of this beer as it is consumed should not be compared to a tsunami nor an earthquake but to that of a baby’s bottom. While I have never actually felt the aforesaid, I have heard tale of the unequaled smoothness of such and this beer is no different, smooth. In fact, it is absolutely the smoothest liquid I have ever consumed. The finish leaves your feeling like you just spent the day wandering in the desert but at 6.9 ABV that is expected.

Drinkability: Many a night I have slumbered yearning for just such a beer and, seemingly as a phantom, this beer, doesn’t seem real. The Holy Grail, seemingly something not quite attainable for any brewmaster, those Arrogant Bastards at Stone must have found the chalice and used it in the crafiting of this beer. It is addictive and their creation continues to haunt my palate every second I deny myself of it. Simply put, once consumed it will consume you.

Served on tap from Kilted Mermaid of Vero Beach, FL for a price of $4

Great IPA.It was a suggestion from a bartender at a great place in Boyertown Pa. called union jack's.It's down a dirt road and you would never expect it to be there.They have over 250 bottled beers and 25 or so on tap.I have had alot of great IPA's at this place ,but stone is my favorite.

must start by saying this IS my favorite IPA to date..

Have to, Have to, Have to, pour this into a mug or glass!

A - looks like heaven would look like...cloudy because of the unfiltered process (which is my favorite)
S - smells like angels - kind of piney...awesome!
T - best tasting IPA to date (at least for me) perfect in every way!
MF - great!
D- simply amazing! I need to have at least one a week to stay sane...you will not be disappointed!

Poured into a pint glass. Pours hazy golden with an abundant, fluffy white head that retains well. As the beer was consumed, there was still plenty of head left on top as well as abundant lacing down the glass. The aroma is of sweet malts as well as plenty of pine and citrus from the hops. It's a very bright and inviting smell. The flavor is fantastic. The big malty sweetness is balanced by big hop flavors. The citrus flavors accompany the sweetness into the mouth while the piney bitterness hits the back end. It's incredibly well balanced. The body of this beer is medium to full and the carbonation is adequate. The beer coats the mouth really well. Overall, this is an incredible beer. This should be the gold standard for this style. Stone hit a home run with this beer.

Not in the NE, west coast market. So fresh is all I'm looking for. This is where Stone blows them all away. It flies off the shelves, so it's always fresh. This is Key. I thought Southern Tier was interesting, but not fresh in my area. Dogfish 90 and 120 are insane. Even Victory DirtWolf is dangerous. All the DIPAs I've had are very dangerous, too good, too ABV. This staple IPA is where the legend started and still resides. It's close too all I'll drink. Your area, freshness may vary, where I envy you.

This is my favorite beer.

Perfect mouthfeel and appearance.

Perfect hop flavor. Not too weak, not to bitter. If you like really bitter stuff, try Stone's ruination IPA or Arrogant Bastard. For me, though, this is perfect.

Also, moderately priced in the "bomber" section, especially when lined up against all the Belgians that, IMHO, don't taste as good.

Jesus what an incredible beer. After having tried (and enjoyed on several occasions) some Arrogant Bastard Ale (in a bomber no less) I purchased a 6 pack of Stone IPA for $9 today. My immediate reaction? Jesus. The pour is nothing short of beautiful. A foam head at least 1" thick comes up as soon as the beer hits the glass. The color of the beer itself appears to be the same color as honey is. The smell is definitely a lot of hops, with a strong scent of pine as well. Very, very hoppy. Taste-wise, between the intense amount of hops being present in the beer and the taste of pine and a tiny bit of grapefruit, it's one of a few beers that is actively kicking my ass. All in all, this is a beer that is automatically on my top five list.

I thought I had drank beer, but then I had a Stone IPA. Now it is the staple beer in my refrigerator. The beer has the perfect amount of hop bitterness that I was missing in regular beers. When you open the bottle the pine smell and aroma makes you know your drinking something special. Definitely my favorite beer.

I started the evening with a black butte porter (bottle) -- great beer.. then I tried a Stone IPA. I had never had it before but I could tell after the first drink that it was good. Actually it was a great beer , very easy to drink . Can't wait to try it again . Wasn't as good the 2nd time.. seems more of a summer beer.

I know, straight fives, but I find it hard to imagine a better IPA. This is the one against which I measure all others Especially now that we have it coming from the Richmond brewery. So this one was fresh, in a proper IPA glass, lovely lacing, wonderful aroma and mouthful, all that you want from a hoppy San Diego style brew.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing