Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 2,982 | Ratings: 10,787
3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Good two finger fluffy white head, leaves nice lacing. Clear dark yellow in appearance, might be more cloudy further down the bomber.

Nice strong piney hop aroma. Lets you know what's coming.

As expected, solid hop bitterness, pine, citrus, with only a minor malt backbone.

Very carbonated, but still fairly easy to drink. I generally like my IPAs with just a little more malt balance but understand this is a hoppy west coast version. But I do appreciate the hoppiness of this beer.

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

12 oz bottle into a pint

A - Pours a filtered, clear, bubbling light orange color. Head formation is bright white, not strong. Retained in a strong film however.

S - A strong bouquet of american hops, floral, grapefruit, but yet earthy. Some spicy notes as well. Reminds me of some simcoe or amarillo.

T - Starts with only the lightest milisecond of a malt note which is immediately bombed by an outright bitter finish. Comes across very dry, some alcohol warming. American hops dominate the mid-stream, more earthy than the nose. Finishes with a mega flourish of bitter bite, dry, and lots of hop character. Grassy at times.

M - The dry overly fermented style bites the tongue pretty hard - causing a mouthfeel on the thin side. Carbonation bite is light. Aftertaste is mega oily from the hops.

D - Moderately drinkable - the abv is pretty potent for the style, and the hop attack is just a bit wearing to be a sessionable beer.

I'd have to go ruination for my hop fix from Stones.

3.94/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Golden hazy with moderate small bubbles rising, a finger of off white head.

S: Pine, citrus, malts, onion.

T: Pine citrus, malts, onion, light orange candy, solid bitterness that lingers on the tongue.

M: Medium body, medium fine bubbled carbonation, smooth, slightly resinous finish.

O: A great beer that I’m sure is a standard for this style but I am only now trying it. Got it at World Market in Asheville, NC on Fathers Day today, June 15, 2014.

3.94/5  rDev -6.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a British Imp Nonic.

Case marked 6/2011, which I believe is a born on date.

Pours a nice one to two finger head which rapidly settles to a 1/4” cap and then to a thin film. Golden amber color with some depth and obviously not filtered. Very little “lacing”. An average looking IPA.

A good aroma of citrusy hops, light yeast, and as this ale warms some malt, nothing overly exciting here but quite enjoyable.

Nice crisp entry in the mouth, medium to full bodied, with the main flavor being the nice fruity citrus hops, the hops give way to some pleasant bitterness, and eventually a little malt comes thru as the ale warms.

Has a good finish of lingering bitter hops, very good length, quite enjoyable.

OK, not a heavy hitter but certainly a very drinkable IPA, refreshing, one I would drink on the colder side, say around 45 degrees, and suitable for a warm summer day. The finish is the most distinctive component of this ale and definitely adds to the overall enjoyment. Average ABV for this style. Sells for approximately $42 around here so it’s no bargain when I can buy Victory Hop Devil for less.

3.94/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Into a pint glass:

A: slightly hazy bright gold colored body, the head is an off-white, and lumpy, and dies off in about a minute, spotty lacing with rings

S: pale malts and hops, some floral notes come out as the beer warms, well balanced

T: citrus, becomes balanced well between the hops and malts

M: medium, crisp and clean, sessionable, nothing harsh on the tongue, no aftertaste, piney and malty finish

O: this is a mostly easy drinking IPA. I'm impressed how well balanced everything is in this beer. I would have this again.

3.94/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured dark straw/copper with 1 finger fluffy white head into snifter. Great head retention and lacing. Scent is strong on citrus with some subtle piny notes. Flavor matched the scent exactly. Very citrus forward (notable lemon) with nice piny after taste.

3.94/5  rDev -6.9%

Best before 2/06/11, was in the refrigerator case at my liquor store. Really nice lacing on the glass too. Smell is of some tropical fruits, citrus and some herbal grassy notes, and some odd glue/acetate odors in the alcohol. Hmm, not what I would normally expect from an American IPA. Fortunately, the taste comes through nicely without the strange off flavors I got from the smell, not sure if that is a by product of the yeast or what. Anyway, the taste is nice and hoppy, big resinous pine and grapefruit, and some sweet malt in there to balance things, a little. The mouthfeel is somewhat smooth, and full bodied. Wow, I am getting a real nice long bitter aftertaste, most be a lot of resins in those hops, whole leaf?? Overall, once I can get past the weirdness in the nose, believe it or not this is a great beer. So far I like their IPA best, the bigger ones get a little too rich, sweet and malty. I just noticed I drank half a glass of this pretty darn quick! I think I will get another six pack of this again soon, and see if I still get the "glue" smells.

3.94/5  rDev -6.9%

Excellent brew, what less could you expect out of Stone. Lacing like whoa, not the most powerful of aromas though. Nothing like ruination. Good balance, smooth beer. Mouthfeel was pretty good, but sometihng wasnt sitting well with me, cant put my finger on it. Tastes a nice bit of hoppiness but nothing to overwhelming. Bit of an alcohol presence unfortunately, which surprises me since Stone Ruination is nearly a percent higher, and I just finished one of those and tasted no alcohol. Oh well, very good beer nonetheless, but this will be my last today cause Stone’s other quality is they get you drunk fast... God Bless Hops.

3.94/5  rDev -6.9%

Sampled from 12 fl oz bottle, courtesy of a friend, traded from the USA.

Clear orange color, tan head.
Very hoppy scent, sweet sticky with a hint of alcohol.
Big mouthfeel with fairly low bitterness (for this type).
Hoppy and sweet taste, bitter aftertaste.

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours a light amber with a healthy, frothy, thick white head that leaves good lacing. Smell is purely hops, herbal and bitter. Taste is a quality hoppy bitterness right up front and all the way through, nice underlying notes of bready malts and yeast. This beer is quite thick for a regular IPA, definitely not a session beer in my book but nonetheless light and crisp enough to be refreshing. This is pretty much what I'd expect from Stone for an American IPA--a beer that tilts full throttle for the style on the flavor scale.

I'm more ambivalent about Stone than most of the BA reviewers, I think, I'm not necessarily a fan of overpowering beers but in the case of an IPA, I enjoy and appreciate it provided that it isn't oversweetened and overmalted as well. This beer is not, it's a bit thick for a regular IPA in my opinion but the quality of the ingredients come through and the balance is proper for an IPA. This is a fine brew and the best one I've tried from Stone.

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

A - Pours a surprisingly dark orange-copper color. Very small cream head. Nice amount of carbonation. Thick but translucent. Leaves nice lacing on the glass.

S - Has the fresh citrus, grapefruit scent I would expect. Not overpowering.

T - Hop-forward, with a surprisingly strong element of malts. Grapefruit peel on the backend. The malts give it a caramel feel, while the citrus is definitely not as pronounced as I would have expected. Some floral hops, as well. There's a little bit of citrus sweetness, separate from the notable maltiness.

M - Very nice, mouthy and thick, but drinkable. I don't see this as an all-day drink. The alcohol is very well-hid (granted, it's only 6.9% ABV), the flavors are well-blended, and the carbonation doesn't bother the tongue or palate at all.

O - This is very good, very drinkable, a good example of an IPA. It's neither as thick nor flavorful as a DIPA, but there's certainly no lack of hops, and it provides surprising balance and complexity. For my personal tastes, I'm not big into the malty flavor, which is accentuated as the beer warms up. I don't think it makes it a bad beer; I think it's quite intentional, and well-crafted.

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

pours a wonderfull deep amber yellow with a nice little white head. smells like hops (duh) and more hops. piney and mouthwatering. and wow it tastes like hopes too. im still getting into the whole big ipa brews, but to me this has alot of "oomph" in the hop area. floral and piney with a dash of malt character. the mouthfeel is smooth and goes down nicely and makes for a delightful drinking experiance. this stuff is way good, but after a couple, its time for me to move on.

$2.99 a bomber.

12oz bottle into a Sam Adams Sensory Glass

It poured a 2 finger white head that quickly settled in a thin cap with minimal lacing. Golden color with a nice amber hue. I like the look of this one.
Strong earthy/piney hops dominated the nose with a hint of citrus(limelike?) to back it up.
Taste comes out as it warms. Carbonation and light citrus hits the tongue first then a wave of piney hops bring it home. Hoppy-pine lingers throughout the aftertaste.
Mouthfeel was good with a medium body and moderate carbonation.
They go down with plenty of ease. I could drink this all night.

Note* I purchased these a couple of months after bottling and they were sitting warm on the shelf the whole time. The hops weren't quite as assertive as I hoped. I look forwarding to reviewing a fresher bottle someday to see what differences there may be. Regardless it was an excellent beer and can't wait for another sixer.

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass

A - Amber color with a thin white head. Bubbles are running up the side of the glass

S - Sweet citrusy hops with a hint of pine. However not the most fragrant beer around.

T - rather balanced for an IPA, especially one from stone. Good mix of biscuity malt with citrus hop flavors up front. Finishes with a lingering piney bitterness. Solid flavor profile.

M - spot on mouth feel. Enough carbonation without being overwhelming, medium body with a hint of stickiness that I enjoy in my IPA's.

D - Pretty easy drinking IPA. I enjoy this one and would drink it again but wouldn't go crazy trying to find it.

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

12oz bottle. Pours a hazy yellow with a large head. Lots of lacing throughout. Wonderful aroma. Blend of citrus, hops, pine but no one aroma more powerful than the other. Taste is bitter with a citrus flavor to it. Good amount of hoppiness as well. Lots of flavor to this IPA. Not overly drinkable but can be consumed at a good clip.

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

22 oz. bottle. The smell of fresh cannabis bud took me back to the days of yore with hydros and grow lights. Poured with no head. The taste was grapefruit bittersweet with enough of a malt presence to keep the hops from overwhelming. The full body of this brew carries the flavors nicely. Probably the best of Stones widely availible beers.

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

12oz single bottle. As always the flavorful text on the bottle is a must read. Features a definition for not only a gargoyle but the beer itself as well.

A - Very pleasing to the eyes, a glowing golden hue with hints of orange. Just a fingertip of head that rides all the way down. Nice lacing as well.

S - A lot going on here, almost too much for my sense of smell. The hops profile is ever-present, and comes off quite citrus-like.

T - It is entirely impossible to taste everything in one sip. Each time I can detect a different profile shining through, and the bitter characteristics fade as it warms up. Too bad I only purchased one! The complexity of this brew deserves more than one downing.

M - Very sharp, and yes, crisp. Body is medium/heavy, and fits the taste profile perfectly.

D - Quite well I'd say, I could definitely use another. I will revisit this one rather soon I can tell, and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good IPA.

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

A - small head that slowly dissipated, trails of lacing on the glass, straw/honey color

S - pine, slightly floral, but intense

T - refreshing initially, bitter/hoppy finish, but not overwhelmingly so

M - extremely smooth, full bodied

O - easily drinkable IPA, not over-hopped, excellent mouthfeel, light, crisp, refreshing

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

A: Hazy golden straw colored beer. Huge lucious white foamy head that lingers and leaves lots of lacing.

S: Nice bold hop aroma with citrus of tangerine and grapefruit peel. Smells very inviting.

T: Fairly mellow citrus rind bitterness. Not a whole lot of flavor going on aside from that hop flavor that tastes like citrus rind. I don't get any grain flavor or any other hop character. It's good.

M: The mouthfeel is just right. Good carbonation and bitterness. Pretty wet finish.

O: I liked it. I wish it had more flavor to it but it was good. No regrets buying it.

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

Slightly cloudy light orange-amber body under an ample thick head that leaves decent lacing.

Smell is hoppy floral, malty and citrusy all at once. Nice aroma.

Taste is surprisingly citrusy. The hops bitterness is there, but it's somewhat more restrained than I had been led to believe it might be. Still, for me, it's a bit one-dimensional: just not enough malt backbone to balance the hop bitterness. True to style, I suppose, but just not my favorite style.

Mouthfeel is nice and round. Evident carbonation.

Easy enough to drink one, but there's a bit too much carbonation and long-lasting bitterness to drink very many.

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle says enjoy by 02.26.13. Assuming Stone's 90-day shelf life, that means bottled around 28 November 2012. Strange that it's taken me this long to try this, one of the classics of the style.

Pours very clear bright orange amber (leaving the yeast in the bottle). One finger of white head, good retention and outstanding lacing. A thin curtain of bubbles pervades the glass.

Smell is really nice, a pungent but gentle piney hop aroma. Like sniffing a handful of pine needles, really, but it's backed with a twinge of acidic citrus. And there's a fullness that I really appreciate - this is no empty front-heavy IPA. The malts are surely second fiddle, but I know they're there by the solid base the hops are resting on.

Taste is pretty solid. Moderately bitter throughout, assertively but not aggressively so. Has a pronounced dryness, so that the flavor almost gets sucked out of my mouth. Lightly sweet, very grainy malt base.

Mouthfeel is enjoyable. Pleasantly dry, reminding me of a number of hoppy pale ales I've had recently. Starts out fuller, then gets progressively lighter as it dries out. Medium carbonation. At times unobtrusive, allowing the other characteristics to shine through, and at times quite enjoyable. Nice.

I like this, but for some reason it's feeling like less than the sum of its parts. Each element works, but they don't add to each other. I think I might like this much better on another day. As it is, I like it plenty well enough!

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

A- A slightly cloudy golden/ yellow liquid fills the glass. Big streams of rising carbonation put on a great show and form a thick 1-finger thick white head. Leaves some great lacing all the way down the glass.

S- Very large amount of citrus with a dollop of pine tossed in. Very bready, with a bit of spice. Some noticeable bit of funkiness as well. Also hints of vegetable- sort of asparagus like.

T- Sweet, vegetable is much more noticeable in the flavor. Some bread, pine, citrus. Not a massive amount of depth to this and also not a huge malt backing- but hey, this is a west coast IPA.

M- This is what bothered me the most about this beer. It just felt so thin and light. Something felt like it was missing. Almost a bit metallic. But it was not cloying or harsh and did leave a clean aftertaste.

D- Overall a quality IPA. Not my favorite, but not disappointing by any means.

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

This beer pours a lovely golden hue with a decent head and a nice level of carbonation. The smell is not distinctly hoppy, i am thinking that this bottle might be oxidized because i do detect some cardboard. I have had the beer before and will give the brew the benefit of the doubt and blame the packy for poor turnover. When I drink the beer it is real nice, it has a flowery flavor up front with a mild middle and a decent hoppiness to the finish. Decent thickness to the mouth.

In all I think this one is pretty good, but I wish the bottle was not oxidized.

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

Wow, the pour on this beer was simply amazing. The sun was shining directly into the glass, so the beer was a hazy saffron yellowish...a brilliant orange. Easily one of the coolest colors I have ever seen in an IPA. The head appeared creamy and white at about 1/4" thick, but dissipates to form a gracious sheet over the surface. There was good lacing left in the glass.

Needless to say, this brew smells hoppy! A great pungent aroma, and maybe slightly musty. In addition to all of the hops there is a nice malt profile...lends a mellowness.

By all means this is a pretty bitter beer. No if ands or buts here, there is plenty of lemon zest to go around. The citrusy notes are complimented by loads of pine.

A medium bodied beer that fully coats the mouth. It is remarkably smooth and creamy for such a bitter IPA. There is a nice drying on the finish.

This beer is highly drinkable...its just so smooth. The bitterness is great and what I look for in an IPA. Damn shame the beer was gone well before I had finished my review. Guess that means its time for round 2.

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

My experience with this particular batch was a bit upsetting. It was burnt a bit and well,o well. Haven't tried a decent batch just yet. Good still but I believe it may be over rated. A bit on the clean and not as on the danky as I prefer side.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing