Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 2,969 | Ratings: 10,740
4.59/5  rDev +8.5%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a golden orange, clear brew with a fair amount of off-white head that leaves decent lacing. Aroma is intoxicatingly rich in sweet, piney hops and caramel. A bit one sided, but I gave it a full five anyway.

Taste is much like the aroma, but the hops are a bit less on the sweet side and pack quite the bitter punch. Some orange peel as well. Mouthfeel is crisp, refreshing, and has a lingering hoppy bite that lasts just the right amount of time. Definately a beer that's drinkable as hell, I could easily have 3-4 of these in one sitting. Fantastic offering from Stone, they haven't disappointed yet.

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%

Keep in mind that my gold standard is Dogfishead's 90-minute IPA.

Stone IPA (notes from last night):

A: Surprisingly deep orange. Good, white head. This beer is alive!
S: Hops. Good hops. Plenty of hops.
T:
M: Somehow...not as well-balanced as 90m IPA.
D: Very drinkable. A very good beer, well deserving of a 91.

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%

A-Pours amber/copper with minimal head, the lack of head prevents this from getting more than a four.

S-Hops, hops, hops. this is how a beer should smell, sticky piney grapfruit hops.

T-The hops definitely hits you first, followed by some sweetness from the malt. Very hoppy yet balanced.

M-Very good here too, it is the perfect consistency with good carbonation.

D-I could drink these all night. Enough for mee to get into some serious trouble.

This is my go to beer living in San Diego. It is a really well balanced beer despite the xtreme hoppiness. I will miss having this cost $7 a sixer when i move back to NYC. This is perhaps the best example of a West Coast IPA. I would love to distribute this in Europe and see how they woudl deal.

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Pours a beautiful light amber with some orange and golden highlights. A large, three-fingered frothy off-white head slowly settles to a nice foamy covering. Some nice, thin sheets of lace all the way down the glass.

S: Initially I got some piney hop aromas, but after the head settled I was blasted with grapefruit, lemon, and pineapple flavors. Fruity esters from the sweeter malts blend nicely with the citrus hop aromas. It continues to develop and impress throughout--I'm constantly smelling and inhaling the aromas this gives off.

T&M: Herbal, grassy, floral and light citrus hops across a biscuity/bready malt base. Some non-hop fruity esters blend in, as well. A wonderfully complex, hop-tastic flavor. The finish is lightly drying with the malty sweetness cutting the hop bitterness nicely. Body is on the heavy side of medium with a light, zesty carbonation that really works well.

D: Stone IPA is a masterfully crafted beer. All facets of the experience are top-notch. The higher ABV limits drinkability a bit, but not much. I'd definitely try to session this one (don't know how much success I'd have, though!).

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours out a hazy copper-orange color with an excellent off-white head that creates thick, lumpy bubbles. Makes a great impression right out of the bottle! The aroma is strong with both pine and grapefruit. Hops and malt take a backseat, but are still present underneath. The taste is as big as the bottle and Stone Brewery's reputation. The hops hit with a huge bang right from the first sip. Some faint hop sweetness works into the fold in the middle, then disappears as the lingering hops slam your senses to a bitter / sour finish that is quite dry. Mouthfeel is just about right: full bodied but carbonated just enough to dampen the blow of the hops. One area this offering scores just a little lower is the drinkability. It's just a bit too sour to drink much. One bottle is probably about all I could handle at any given time. However, all things considered, this is a truly great IPA that is worthy the Stone name.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

Translucent strawberry blonde, with a white cloud of of head that quickly gave way to clingly ring of lace, but with only a swirl the head came right back to life, giving away that incredible hoppy aroma. Pine trees, citrus, grassy, this thing has the whole nine yards. The first sip goes down dry and lip-smackingly bitter, but somehow the malt fights it's way through and holds on to the back of your palate after the first coat of hops saturates your tastebuds into submission. Maybe my sample was getting a little old (6-8 months I'd say), but I kinda tasted a little vanilla in the aftertaste, something I didn't notice when I had the first 2-3 from my 6 pack. Alcohol also makes it's presence known after about the half pint mark. For some people balance in a Beer is important, and I sort of fall into that catergory, but sometimes in life you find balance in inequality, order in chaos, yada-yada-yada. This Beer is the gold standard of American IPAs, and my personal favorite from Stone, regardless of the Bastards and the Ruinations and whatever. This one I could drink every day, I've enjoyed it this summer in the balmy heat of Florida and last night in the great Canadian winter. I'm a very seasonal drinker and rare are the brews that I crave year-round, but this one is on the list.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance - Nice generous fluffy head with small tight bubbles. Cloudy amber appearance.

Smell - Citrusy hop aroma that's noticeable from a distance.

Taste - Pleasantly dry and bitter with intense hops that tend towards a pine-grapefruit flavor. Enough malt to balance the taste although definitely leans towards the hops. Finishes well with a clean aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium body.

Drinkability - Surprisingly easy to drink and a great beer for an introduction to IPAs. Not as many complex flavors as some others but a great everyday IPA. My initial thought when drinking this beer is that it falls short in comparison to other more complex IPAs but then I found myself unable to put this beer down.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer was my second ever dabble into IPA, so when I first reviewed it, I didn't quite know what to expect, but I knew I loved it. It is not too bitter, but just bitter enough to satisfy my palate.

This beer is so beautiful I could just not even drink it and still be satisfied with the appearance, head retention, and aroma on their own. The pour is a clear light golden color, actually somewhat light for an IPA. The head is absolutely perfect, producing several impossibly small white fragrant bubbles that stay at about a half inch.

It has a sort of citrusy grapefruit hops character in the smell. The aroma is all about the hops.

Taste is very similar, though the malt is able to shine it's way through. Nice sweet malt up front with a touch of caramel. Lots of hops to balance it out. A good mix between bittering hops and late-addition aroma hops. Very piney and citrusy, but not overly bitter. A good introductory IPA.

Quite light in body with a crisp carbonation. Quite lovely. Very easy to drink quantity.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: Amazingly you can see right through this beer, but you can tell there is much more to it. You can almost see the body of this beer.

S: Terrific hop blast up front - floral, a bit piney and a touch of tropical fruit.

Taste: Whoa. Great bitterness to begin and it doesn't stop. Just great hops here and enough malt to balance.

M: Clean. Refreshing.

O: One of the standards for IPAs. I've rarely come across any that are consistently better. It's almost always on point and when it's not I've found that it's due to freshness. Being in South Georgia we have to pay attention to labels - stores here are not quite up to snuff on craft beer. We're working on it though.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

a- semi-pale amber color with small head and small ring of lacing
s- nice pine scent with a little bit of floral/fruity, pretty hoppy
t- goes down really easy, nice mild bitterness with pine and notes, sort of a mild minty hop aftertaste
m- has a nice smooth medium-thick mouthfeel
d- overall a very nice beer and must have for ipa fans

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

I'm reviewing this for my own beer profile more-so than for others to get any new insights as to what I think. I mean, how could I add any more raves to this spectacular beer?

In my book, this de-thrones Bridgeport IPA as one of my all-time favorites. It's a close match, but I have to give the edge to this beer. Stone comes as close as possible to the edge of being too hoppy without crossing that line. If a good IPA should be considered "balanced", then this is perfection. From the floral aroma to the citrusy hop bite and bitter finish, this is the best IPA, and the freshest I might add, I've experienced. Fantastic.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this beer many times, but I most recently was fortunate even to visit San Diego, and I sampled this tasty beer in a tulip glass while at the San Diego Airport (Stone Brewing in Terminal 2).
Appearance: Golden/orange in color. About 1.5 fingers of white foamy head
Smell:Plenty of hops aroma with a mix of citrus.
Taste: Complex mixture of balanced bitterness and sweetness. Goes down pretty easily with only a mildly bitter aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Smooth and full-bodied with a moderate level of carbonation.
Overall: Along with Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA, this is the gold standard of IPAs that I compare all other IPAs to. Great beer overall.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured nicely from a 22 into my snifter. Gorgeous orange with red overtones. Frothy, barely off-white head. Quite thick.

Smells of raw hops. Also grapefruit rind, Starburst, cherries, earth -- quite excellent.

Taste: Bubblegum and buttered toast. Slight honey notes. Hops are everywhere but great malt balance. Perfect, quintesential bitterness. An shining example of the west coast IPA style. Truly excellent. Incredible coating aftertaste. Just delicious. Nectar.

Mouthfeel is the beers only sore-spot. Too foamy, too fizzy. A little thin, too.

I could drink this until the DoomsDay Machine goes off.

Old 2001 Review: Possibly the perfect west coast style IPA. Bursting at th e seams with everything you want in an IPA - Hops, malt and alcohol. All of it balanced really well with the hops winning out in the end. could drink this for days. Go Stone!

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a beautiful deep gold with a pillow like fluffy white lacey head that stays.
Smells is....Oooo so nice. Piney leafy aroma grassy citric goodness. Some sturdy malty smells in there too but overpowered in to submission by the wonderful hops.
This beer smells great!
taste... Nice hop punch right off the bat, lovey citrus earthy green but not chewy grainy. Nice toasty pale malt and crystal malt presence. Very big beer in taste, but not too thick in any way at the same time. they really dialed in the hops to malt ratio on this one to make a very fine American IPA.
Mouth feel is nice too...very soft pillow like carbonation, sits nice on the tongue and lets the tongue know it's still alive at the same time.
Drinkability is...eh..a bit too high of an ABV to make it a session beer for me. After 4 I would be pretty drunk.
I will definitely buy this again!

Notes: A wonderful AIPA! This is like perfect! A very impressive beer. Right up there with Titan IPA in my opinion

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is absolutely the best IPA I've ever had!! Lot's of grapefruit flavor and multi-hops. Very well balanced as well, as it is very malty up front, followed by a tremendous bitter hop freshness. Awesomely smooth and drinkability is outstanding. Very highly recommended.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: a rich golden yellow with a really nice 1-2 cm head that dissipates down to a 1 cm head. It forms a really nice head, it is really a vibrant and appealing beer.

Smell: Pine and citrus. I smell a touch of sweetness. I have had a few IPA’s this one smells quite appealing. The smell does get weaker a minute or so after the pour.

Taste: After taking the first taste, I realize it may be a bit warmer then it should be – my thermometer reads 51 F, so I suppose it is just a touch too warm. The hops are there and they add a nice citrus-pine flavor but there is also quite a bit of sweet malt as well. This beer is phenomenal, I was expecting it to be more intense then it is, but I was really happily surprised. There is defiantly a good touch of hop bitterness in the background.

Mouthfeel: Good solid carbonation, moderately thick texture, I would consider this to have a good mouthfeel

Drinkability: This is almost 7% ABV? Wow…. I am not prepared to drink another one (no more in the fridge) and I only have 5 left… next time I go back to MI I may be picking up another 6 pack, or a case… this beer could easily become a new favorite. I need to try it 5 degrees colder.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Deep golden color with a white fluffy head. Detailed lacing goes down the glass as you enjoy this fabulous ale. Spicy hopped aroma hits your senses like a sledgehammer. The flavor hits the perfect balance between rich malt and bitter hop flavor. The flavor has you by the throat but the funny part is that this is the most drinkable IPA I have EVER tasted. You could drink this for hours contently except for the manly 6.9% ABV. Wow! This may be the most awesome ale ever except for SN Celebration Ale.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

WoW. This is one amazing beer. I had been waiting for a while for more Stone brews to come to Texas, and got very excited when I saw the IPA at the store, sadly there was only one bottle left. The beer pours a nice golden color with a white foamy head. The beer is very bubbly and makes it quite nice to look at after it is poured. The smell of the beer is great, very very hoppy, with a fruit smell, possibly grapefruit. With the first taste the hops hit you like a hammer, then the fruit kicks in, all of the flavors meld terrific.The beer is dry yet wet at the same time, making this one great beer for hot weather. This goes on my list as one of my top beers. Hopefully more Stone brews become available here soon.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

I picked this up at the Westover Market in Arlington, VA. I've had it before, but this is my first review of it.

Appearance: copper-orange with a nice 3/4" white head on the pour
Smell: mostly hops
Taste: dominated by hops...maybe some cascades in there...it seems the bisuity malt flavor becomes more prevalent as the beer gets warmer
Mouthfeel: medium body
Drinkability: could do 2 in a night

Overall, a very impressive beer....will have many more times in the future.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Stone IPA is one of, well, it is my favorite beer. I can drink a Stone IPA and completely change my mood. Stone is probably the best example of an American IPA available. I've made IPAs a focus of my beer drinking and sampling and I can say without hyperbole, this is a great beer. Of course it is better on draught than in the bottle, but I had a 12 oz bottle of it served in my Stone IPA glass. Medium head, strong aroma of cascade hops, dark yellow, clear (although sometimes the bottles are cloudy). Excellent mouthfeel, a great amount of hops but the bitterness is not overpowering.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I can't stay away from this beer. I had taken a break from it for a while, but after tasting it a few weeks ago, I can't stay away too long anymore. It pours a brilliant copper color with a 3 finger head that leaves a very sticky lace as it recedes.

The nose is just awesome. Caramel, light cotton-candy sweetness, brilliant, chewy lupulin-infested hoppy goodness. I get a lot of grapefruity citrusy sweet hop over a very nice sweet caramel base.

Flavor is incredibly balanced. The caramel sweet malt is there, but not offensively sweet. It is overlayed with a light peppery, moderate pine and citrus hop. Maybe some chinook? The bitter is not big and offensive, but hangs on very well into the finish. Very clean. Very tasty.

The feel is moderate to thick. Carbonation is moderate.

Drinkability is huge. The hops compell me to drink more and more. I like the contrast of the malt and hop on this beer. Might be my #1 session beer.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

Another IPA this time by Stone. Pouring this into my pint glass right now.

Appearance - Clear pale orange 3 fingers of head with some thin lacing.

Smell - Sweet citrus and hops.

Taste - Almost everything I smelt sweet citrus with hops at the end a bit dry on the finish.

Mouthfeel - Clean and smooth can't even tell this is 6.9%.

Drinkability - I'm not even done with it and want another. Just an awesome west coast IPA can't wait to try something else from Stone.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from a 22oz bottle.

This beer pours a pale orange with a frothy white head that holds for a good amount of time amd laces nicely as well. The smell is all piney and cirtrusy hops with some sweetness. Its almost like smelling right into centennial hops. The taste echoes the smell. The hop flavor dominates the taste. Its almost ke drinking hop tea. The mouthfeel is just the right body with a good amount of carbonation. OVerall highly drinkable, a great IPA. I wish I could always have this.

This beer is hop heaven
Pours a hazy golden color with a nice head with laces that remain for awhile.
You can smell the hops, it's not overwhelming for how present they are once you taste it.
Taste is awesome. I love hop-upped beers and this is one of my favorites because its fairly easy to find. To say this bear has great hop characteristics is an understatement. Somehow finishes great- citrus and a bit bitter, but perfect.
The mouthfeel is good, crisp up front, sticky and lingers on the top of the mouth well after your last sip.
So good you'll want more despite the relatively strong taste and higher alcohol. Lovely.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours out a frothy three finger head with excellent head retention. Great thick lacing sticking all around the glass from start to finish. Hazy light orange color with yeast partials floating around the glass.

The aroma is sharp with citrus and pine hops. Biscuit malt, and even a hint of sweet malt.

The first flavors to hit the palate are sharp bitter hops. Hints of grapefruit, orange, pine, and hemp. Biscuit malts pulls through the hop. A touch of yeast with malt sweetness. This is a hop head's IPA but there is a balance.

Medium bodied easy to drink. Finished dry with bitter with hop lingering.

This America IPA is hop head's dream! Classic west coast IPA not for the faint of heart. In your face hops and easy to drink!

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing