Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

YOUR RATING = None |
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 2,962 | Ratings: 10,718
4.62/5  rDev +9.2%

This beer poured gracefully into a Stone IPA tulip glass. Gear froamy head that lasted for quite a while with nice lacing.

Smells of.... HOPS!! Wonderfully fruity wihn hints of citrus. also sweet pine.

Tastes nice and bitter but very well balenced with citrus and malt, leaves a twinge of hop bitterness at it leaves the back of your tounge. A real treat from sip to sip.

Nice light mouthfeel with the finish of a big beer, it coats the tongue.

I could drink a couple bombers easy or tackle the whole six pack if I was so inclined. This would make a great session beer on it's own or paired with the less hoppy Stone Pale Ale, yet is great as a stand alone beer when you just want to sit back relax and have a beer that's truely special.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Orange copper colour with a white head that leaves a nice-looking lacing. The smell is truly something to behold. All kinds of fruits and flowers come together to form a bouquet of brilliance that is hard to describe using only the words in our English language. Suffice it to say that the smell is so powerful that I almost feel as if drinking it would be an affront to my nose. The taste, while by no means as affront, simply doesn't live up to to the nose. That, however will be the only negative thing you will hear me say about this. It tastes wonderful, with a hops taste, and a malt finish that creates a wonderful balance, while still maintaining the bite and bitterness that a good IPA should have. Feels wonderful, with a great body, and I could drink this all day. A great product that I'll be glad to have another of.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Looks like a bottling code but no dating info lasered on towards the bottom of the front of the bottle. It was a hazy honey color with some carb streams and really great lacing. It had an average sized light beige head that slowly settled to a constant foam and thick collar.

The aroma was outstanding - a hop lovers aroma. Citric hops, pine resin with a sweet malt base. Really loved this one. The taste was also outstanding. Starts off with a good amount of hops and then does a slight build to a good but not overpowering hop bite and bitter finish. This has a ton of hops but one of the few that I could have more than one of at a sitting and not regret the tongue shredding. Great mouthfeel.

Overall, this is an exceptional beer and one of the best AIPA's out there. Stone comes through again and again. Highly recommend. Been a few years since I've had this but glad I tried it again. Will now be part of the regular hops rotation.

[RR-hops]

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to jhammerly for providing this much anticipated offering.
Poured into an Imperial Pint glass. Pours a nice copper color with a 1/2" sticky white head. Sticky white lace lines the sides of the glass. Classic IPA look.
Smell: Wonderful floral hop aroma. Smells better than a new spring garden.
Taste: The hops hit you up front and they hit you hard! Piny and grassy hops with a mild sweet malt and alcohol finish to kind of clean the palate for another gulp. Delicious!
Mouthfeel: Sticky oily hop mouthfeel.
Drinkability depends on how much you like the hop bitterness. If you are not a hop head then this would be a sipping beer. But to hopheads this is a gulping beer.
Overall a highly recommended IPA that is the standard for the style.

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Pours a transparent light color gold that creates a nice big, fluffy head that retains pretty damn well and leaves sheets of lacing along the pint glass.

S: Big hop profile, big malt profile! The hops are very aromatic and a lot more pleasant than I thought. They are perfectly balanced by a nice and sweet malt profile that really kicks this thing to the next level. Aside from the hops and malts, I pick up A LOT of honey.

T: Very similar to the nose. The hops are dominant, and more bittering than the nose would suggest. Malts balance perfectly. Honey is still very present, and a slight alcohol twang. Very floral, aromatic, sweet, and citrusy. I would give taste a 5 if only the alcohol was a little more discrete.

MF/D: Very smooth carbonation (perfect), medium in body, gives you that sticky mouthfeel effect, long honey/fresh hop finish!

Overall, definitely one of my favorite IPA's, and I really cannot say enough about Stone as a brewery...never a shortage of amazement

Stone Brewing India Pale Ale

Served at 53 degrees Fahrenheit.

Appearance: Golden, small head with good lacing.

Smell: Citrus fruits and hops with some flowers.

Taste: Floral hops, warm malts, flowers, and citrus fruits.

Mouthfeel: Medium.

Overall:
This is a really good IPA. I like it better than Sierra Nevada personally. It has this large bouquet that lingers.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

can't believe i haven't reviewed this already. this is an exceptional IPA. you could take it for granted, forget about it... and then when you rediscover it, BAM! really? i can buy this 7 days a week?

pours a perfect clear orange-golden honey with a crisp white head, leaves decent lacing. the aroma is bursting with mandarin orange, spikey: all hops and dry grain.

the taste is bitter and oily and coats the palate. drinking this after a St. B.abt12, i can't even imagine moving on to a Ruination -- a beer i have also downed whole-heartedly in the past. this beer coats your mouth and throat in warm hoppy goodness.

bought it many times, will buy more in the future. one of the defining "west coast IPA's".

it's like,

1. Pliny the Elder
2. FW Union Jack
3. Stone IPA
4. Ballast Point Sculpin
5. O'dell's Myrcenary

give or take...

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass, honey amber colored, slightly orange with a huge fluffy whit head that lingers leaving good lacing, hazy

S: citrus lemons and oranges, honey, malt, pine

T: bitter lemon and grapefruit up front, middle sweetens from malt, finish is dry with lingering hop flavor, floral quality

M: lively carbonation with a lingering aftertaste, refreshing quality, good body

O: a great IPA that is readily available, excellent example of the style

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clear pint glass. Enjoy by 11 05 09. Six-pack purchased for $10.99 at Capital Market.

A-Poured a clear golden-amber hue with a two finger, foamy eggshell white head that receded into an abundant, sticky lace. Gorgeous appearing.

S-Wow. One of the most fragrant IPAs I have enjoyed. Normally, this much aroma is only found in DIPAs. Piney and citrus hops, especially grapefruit are very prominent, aggressive, and inviting.

T-Hoppy bitterness is very citric, especially grapefruit and lemony esters, and full flavored. There is also a very slight, but welcome, bready malt backbone balancing this aggressive, perhaps the quintessential, West Coast IPA.

M-Very smooth and well balanced. Nice carbonation level and complexion. Extremely well crafted for a beer with 77 IBUs and 6.9% ABV.

D-Exceedingly drinkable for an aggressively hoppy IPA. Drinks well cold and warmer. An excellent IPA, quickly becoming a favorite of mine.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow! This is a hop lovers dream. This india pale ale truly has it all. Color, complexity, flavor, aroma, and a mega sensation on the old taste buds.

The pour: Classic golden orange haze, the perfect color for an ipa. Nice head to as well which settles beautifully.

Smell: lemon zest, orange

Taste: Big bite of hops! What else can be said. Finishes great with a nice overtone of citrus.

Drinkability: Yes. I enjoy at home to avoid repercussions. My favorite session beer to date. Goes well with or without food.

The only downside is the price tag. Would enjoy more if they were priced more along its peers (ex: dogfish). That aside, its worth every penny, therefore I splurge when the Gargoyle calls.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Golden with a full light tan/beige head, decent carbonation, and leaves nice rings of lace. HUGE citrusy grapefruit hop aroma and a huge citrusy grapefruit hop taste ! Full bodied, smooth, and creamy. Well worth buying again.

Much better than Stone Ruination IPA. Stone's standard IPA is much better balanced than Ruination.

(22 oz. bottle / $3.77)

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%

This is my first Stone beer. I can’t buy them in Miss-sip because most (all?) of their beers are above the arbitrary 6.0% ABV law we have. My very good friend Derek is home for Christmas and brought me back a hell of a Christmas gift. Including two Stone IPAs.

Sampled 28 December 2006

The color to me was just “IPA-Ale.” I asked The Wife what color she would call that if she was picking it out to sew something and was talking to someone who had never heard of beer. She said “dark honey” so there you go. Dark honey in color.

The head was big and grand, and more aggressive than I expected. I screwed up the pour and had to let it settle a bit before pouring the last ounce or so. It eventually settled down to a nice disk that lasted the entire beer, leaving a nice but not thick lacing.

It smelled like all good IPAs should. Hoppy to the hilt. The back end showed that harsh bitterness that you expect.

The taste showed none of that harshness however. The smoothest IPA I’ve ever had. Stone has a reputation for hyper-aggressive hops and flavor, but although this one was as strong as you’d like it was still balanced well and the hops were bitter but not astringent. The kind of bitter an IPA should be.

A great beer. I can’t say it was the best beer ever, or even the best IPA. Not that I think it isn’t, but because I don’t trust my opinion. I’ve built Stone up in my mind so much that I just don’t know how objective I can really be. I will definitely get more Stone every chance I get.

Butch

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%

A: bright amber yellow emblematic of quality IPAs. No lacing though.

S: amazing hop goodness. Ahhh!

T: Outstanding. A thorough, balanced representation of the style. More balanced that Firestone Union Jack and Russian River Blind Pig. Actually tastes like a stronger Blind Pig.

M: Decent not amazing.

O: The best most balanced IPA out there. I prefer this to DIPAs so I can have more than one. It's also available everywhere in SF at a good price which is a very good thing.

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%

Poped the cap on a 22oz bottle and shared with a friend. Poured into a pint glass. The beer pours a hazy golden color with a frothy three finger head. The head settles to a film after a few minutes. The smell is a lovely bouquet of hops. There are citrus and grassy notes. The first sip...a nice maltyness that quickly fades to the hops. This beer has a great backbone on it. The beer is hoppy but balanced. The mouth is nice. This beer is pretty much what I look for in an American IPA.

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%

Can I just say, I love Stone Brewery and everything they do :) I've tried a lot of their selection but it dawned on me that I hadn't tried this one yet and it was everything I hoped for.

Appearance: Light coppery in color with a 1 and 1/2 finger pillowy head. Slightly cloudy.

Smell: Hoppy and bitter - perhaps a slightly floral bitterness in there as well.

Taste: Awesome - everything I hoped for. Wonderfully bitter but not like an extreme type of hopped beer, so it's got a great balance. Normally I'd expect a bit more of a citrusy flavor in there, but it seems absent to me in this instance.

Mouthfeel: It goes down quite smoothly, a little sticky and creamy in the mouth and definitely leaves the mouth feeling sticky. Perfect.

Drinkability: I live a good IPA, so I would put this high. I don't know how much I'd care to drink in one night at 6.9% ABV, it'd likely knock me over.

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Pours a nice deep gold, generous thick head with excellent retention and lacing down the side of the glass.

S: Inviting citrusy hop aromas, with an spicy side present that makes for an extremely appealing whiff.

T: Heavy handed with the hops, but produces a surprisingly relaxed aftertaste. Bit of spice directly up front, with not too much bite. An amazing balance is achieved for a beer that is presupposed to one side.

M: Creamy body with oily hop feel on the palate. Not a lengthy aftertaste, but refreshing and crisp to say the least.

D: Very nice-bodied IPA, so smooth it can be enjoyed one after another, just be mindful of the abv. Other than that, an absolutely amazing IPA, one that I think for its all-around great qualities puts it head and shoulders above many others.

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%

Stone IPA is the first brew to make me realize what I was missing. The complexity of flavor throughout really ballance a very strong hop profile. It enhances the hops and brings out all the various flavors. I never realized a beer could taste this way.

A little pricey, but worth every penny. A sure fire bet to be the tipping point for any drinker starting to indulge in micros. I'll still drink Titan IPA more often because I need to support the Colorado brewers. This is a hophead must.

12 oz bottle

Pours a golden color with a rocky 2 inch tall white head. After a few moments this head dies down and leaves a great deal of sticky icky clinging to the sides of the glass. Smell is of hops, and hops! Plenty of citrus aroma making me want to dive right in. Taste does not disappoint with some pine and grapefruit flavors. Mouthfeeling is just carbonated enough to make this one bitter, yet crisp and refreshing.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle with "enjoy by 12/23/07" stamped in very small print around the base of the bottle. The etching artwork of the gargoyle certainly gains your attention. The best by date should be more prominent.

This ipa poured a clear, golden color with a small, dissipating head that left nice lacing on the side of the conic glass.

When I opened the bottle, the smell of northwest, piney hops burst from the bottle and continued as I poured the ale into the glass. I thought I was smelling a Christmas tree.

With all of that superior hop flavor, the beer tasted incredibly balanced. Yes, the flavor of spicy hops dominated throughout, but the slightly sweet malt in the background certainly balanced everything nicely. I could still taste the hops on my tongue well after the first taste.

The ale was medium bodied with strong carbonation.

It is somewhat difficult to believe this ipa is 6.9% ABV; it is extremely drinkable. If not for the high ABV, this would be the ultimate session ale.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very nice IPA. One of my favorite and I have tried quite a few. Come to think of it, I think its time for another. It definitely has a big hop flavor yet the aftertaste is not overlingering as some heavily hopped IPAs tend to be. The aroma is also very nice. Overall a very drinkable IPA when you want to sit down, relax and enjoy a quality beer.

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%

Im going to keep this short so I can enjoy this soley!

The pour was a nice golden, burnt orange color. Tall and heavy head stuck around for some time and leaves lacing as I gulp it down. First off, the nose is amazing. Potent hops, resiny aroma, strong pine, orange peel and some more of that medicinal marijuana smell. Not a big hop monster but definately a piney one. Very well balanced and ends semi dry. Medium bodied delight in a bottle.

A must have. I expected greatness from Stone Brewing, but they have brewed a top contender here.

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%

A-thick dark gold with a thick and foamy off-white head. some lacing.

S-the second i started to break the seal, i could smell those grassy hops. it has a bold scent of stale grass smelling hops. smells wonderful and strong!

T-comes in with a wonderfully strong hit of grassy yet citrusy hops. has almost an orange flavor to it. transforms in to a really great and clean bitterness. the after-taste is really citrusy and great as well. this is an instant classic. i love this taste so much. it has so many layers of quality to it.

M-great creamy and medium carbonation with a great creamy finish

D-wow i could drink this all night long. you know, i've seen this beer so many times and always passed it up because it was always there no matter where i was, i never had a sense of urgency to buy it. i regret turning my back to this beer for so long. this is amazing! i love it! it has a perfect ABV as well. i hope to have this again and again!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I felt like I was strolling along a hop field when I pour this beer and got a hint of the aroma. Hops, hops, hops, the floral bouquet of the hops are awesome!! The beer looks great as well, a good head on top of the golden brew with a slight cloudiness. Oh man, the taste is gooood. The character of the hops just taste fresh and citrus aftertaste with a feeling of hops blossomming on the roof of my mouth. The citrus and floral tones feel like a slight burn but a good one. The beer is very drinkable and a great IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazy orange with a thick white head. Awesome lacing.

The aroma smacks you in the face with piney citrusy hops. There is also some earthiness along with caramel.

The flavor is pine and grapefruit but giving way to some caramel. There is a certain earthy flavor present as well. Strong bitterness throughout leading to a drying finish. Mouthfeel is good for the style.

Overall this is one of my favorite IPA's. It is extremely smooth and each sip leaves you wanting more. It would be easy to down several of these in a sitting.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Golden amber with a pure white head that clings to the pint glass. The aroma brings the first notion that this ale is world-class. The hops jump out at you and pull you in for the taste, which is even better. The excessive dry-hopping produces a powerful IPA-worthy bitterness that somehow manages to be completely smoothed out by the mild malt character. Medium to light body with a serene crispness. This easily makes my top 3 IPA list. There should be a picture of this brew in the dictionary under India Pale Ale. Mission accomplished, Stone.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing