Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)
4.21/5
Exceptional
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale aleā€”and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

#973

Ratings: 11,084 |  Reviews: 3,044

3.83/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Stone's IPA yesterday for $1.99 at The Lager Mill. When I saw this beer sitting on the shelf I realized that I haven't had it before. so I decided to give it a try, lets see how it goes. Enjoy by July 21st. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label is nice, it's not that eye catching but it has clean and classy look to it. It poured a fairly clear golden yellow color that took on an orange hue when held to to the light with two fingers worth of creamy slightly off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is pretty good looking IPA, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of hops, there's some spicy and floral hop aromas mixed in with a nice citrus hop aroma with grapefruit seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some a slight bit of bready and grainy malts followed by some more floral hops aromas with a little bit of pine in the background. This beer had a nice aroma, it was dominated by hops, maybe a little too much so, but the hop profile was pretty nice.

T- The taste starts off with a slightly lower amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of hops, I get all the hops aspects that I picked up in the aroma, but it's the floral hops that seems to stick out the most imparting a flavor that reminds of Two Hearted Ale. Up next comes a very slight bit of malts that imparts a light grainy flavor that is a little watery. On the finish there's a very high amount of medium bitterness bordering on high bitterness with a very floral hoppy like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting IPA, but I would have liked just a little more balance to it.

M- A little smooth, pretty dry, pretty crisp, slightly watery, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I wish it was just a tad thicker.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and an above average IPA, it had a pretty nice hop profile that stayed away from the heavy citrus and tropical fruit components and it relied on some nice floral hops to take the helm and I thought that worked out nicely. This beer had decent drinkability, it wasn't the smoothest, but the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention and I think one or two of these would be good enough for me, the bitterness and lighter body might start to wear on me after awhile. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both pretty damn good with the aroma doing a great job at highlighting those floral hops. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance, I know IPA's are suppose to highlight the hops, but I think a maltier base would help this beer a little. I don't know if I would buy a six pack of this anytime soon, but I wouldn't mind ordering this at a bar/restaurant and I think this could pair well with some spicy food, I recommend this to any IPA lover and people who like the floral hops, I also thought it was priced nicely. All in all I thought this was a pretty solid IPA, there's some aspects that I think could be improved upon, but for the most part is was a pretty good straight forward American IPA and the more I drank it the more I liked the hop profile. This isn't my favorite IPA, but it's far from my least favorite, I would say it's a little above being right in the middle, but if I was in the mood for a floral hop heavy beer I would choose Two Hearted Ale over this. Good job Stone this is one solid IPA, I have no clue what took me some long to try it but I'm glad I finally did, keep up the good work guys.

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%