Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 2,979 | Ratings: 10,766
4.29/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

poured from a bottle into a large tulip glass...

I've had this from a can previously and found it to be an easy-to-drink IPA, not complex, but very well balanced and smooth with a lemony-citrus aftertaste.

tonight, I am comparing it with some other IPA's on tap at Whole Foods: Four Peaks Hop Knot, Ballast Point Sculpin IPA, Mother Road Lost Highway Black IPA, Dragoon IPA, and the standard for double IPA's Dogfish Head 90.

color and appearance are a lovely dark yellow, almost amber with a head that settles down to about 1/2" thick

smell is nice, very well hopped and sort of piney... not sure exactly what hops Stone uses for this brew, but it was given top marks in Consumer Reports' review of craft beers and it's easy to see (and tast and smell) why.

taste is more hops forward than any of the other IPA's I am drinking tonight

In my search for the perfect IPA, this one is definitely in the top 10!

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

L- Poured with 2 fingers head, that dissipates fairly quickly. Golden color that isn't fully visible.

S- pine, citrus, pineapple, floral

T- pine, grapefruit, floral

O- classic west coast ipa.
While it is definitely a experienced ipa drinkers ipa it is delicious once you get used to it. Will blow your pallet away as a beginner though.

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%

A true American style IPA. This is a style which I have only learned to enjoy very recently. Pours into my pint glass with an inch or so thick head which quickly settles into a thin coating which mostly covers surface of the beverage. True Gold in color. Leaves some lacing. You can smell the hops and even the apha acid in this one. The smell gives a pretty good indication of the taste. Hops dominate, which good floral flavors and plenty of bitterness. Smooth pleasant malt becomes apparent in the background as it warms. Overall a very tasty beer, did not enjoy it quite as much as Dogfish 90 minute, but pretty close. Gave it a 3.5 for drinkability because I can't imagine drinking more than say two of these in a night.
Thanks Mrpicklerelish for the bottle

All bow down to the beer gods...Thank you Stone for this, this liquid poem of great beer. I wish I could put into words how much I love this beer. It is my all time favorite beer. Everything about it is great, the slight caramel taste it starts with, followed by a twinge of metallic, finishing with a slap in the face of hops...Also got to love the fact that its 6.9 abv. I love that 2 or 3 of these and I'm feeling really good...Thank you Stone...

4.23/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Honey-ish with a thin white head. Great lacing however.

S: Lots and lots of hops, small traces of alcohol.

T: Again lots of hops, but a strong malt backbone to balance it out.

M: Fair amount of carbonation with a rather strong bitterness.

D: Very good, considering the bitterness. Great balance, and for such a hoppy IPA this one is quite drinkable.

Overall a great IPA. Tons of hops, but also a great balance that makes this a go-to beer for those looking for a very hoppy beer without and overwhelming "hop-bomb" characteristic.

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

This beer pours a lovely golden hue with a decent head and a nice level of carbonation. The smell is not distinctly hoppy, i am thinking that this bottle might be oxidized because i do detect some cardboard. I have had the beer before and will give the brew the benefit of the doubt and blame the packy for poor turnover. When I drink the beer it is real nice, it has a flowery flavor up front with a mild middle and a decent hoppiness to the finish. Decent thickness to the mouth.

In all I think this one is pretty good, but I wish the bottle was not oxidized.

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Aroma: I can smell the pine trees in this beer. There are hints of grassy and maybe some citrus notes.

Appearance: It's clear, medium gold with a tall white head. The head crashed quickly leaving thick lacing in the glass (gorgeous).

Flavor: It's a hop forward taste. The initial bitter bite carries through the tasting experience. I can taste the malt, but the flavor is balanced towards the hops.

Mouth feel: It has a medium body

Overall Impression: This is definitely an IPA; the hops smack me in the taste buds. I was surprised aroma was not stronger (the hops seem muted) until I looked at the "Enjoy By" date and it read 03/31/09. This was a bit surprising as I purchased the beer in mid-March (09). I guessing the hop aroma diminished over time. Even being old, I am still enjoying the beer.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

My Benchmark Calli IPA...This was the beer that made me fall in love with hops...Thank you Stone...If I ever make it out to Calli, I will be there...The Crisp finish with the high dryness makes you remember how it tastes the next day...after the gig....

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Nice two finger head. Clear, golden color with visible carbonation. The head is quickly reduced to a thin but lingering film. Strong lacing.

S: Immediately noticeable upon cracking the bottle. Strong grapefruit scents with notes of pine. Slight floral aroma mixed with hints of bread. Sweet but earthy.

T: Amazing. Despite having a great hop profile this beer is crisp and clean; more so than the great majority of IPAs. Initial taste is of grapefruit, caramel and bread. This is followed by a terrific piney flavor while the caramel slightly lingers. No malts. Nicely mild, piney and bitter aftertaste with a few floral notes.

M: Perfect thickness and carbonation. The bitterness masks the sweetness nicely. For some the lingering bitterness might be a problem, but not for me.

D: Again, bitterness could make this a sipper for some, but the crisp, clean profile makes this a session beer in my book.

Terrific beer, and one of my favorite IPAs. Consistently good---one of my standbys. Obviously, I'm not alone in my praise for this beer so I'll stop gushing now. Enjoy!

3.26/5  rDev -22.9%

Looks, smells and tastes like an IPA. Nice beer. There are better out there. I liked it. I think if everyone tasted this blind -- without knowing who made it -- they might just find it a good competent IPA. I think the Stone reputation here has more to do with the high rating than actually tasting it objectively.

3.87/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark amber with small head. Smells of lemon and resin. Strong hop tastes with pine and orange/ lemon rind with strong hops. Nice malty, syrupy undertone. Sufficent carbobation.

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Really an excellent beer... I've missed it! Great with burgers and fries with some kick!

Pours an amber gold with a giant white head. Lacing and webbing through the glass.

The smell has got some punch... tons of grapefruit, pine, and other citrus. Hard to catch much else.

Very sweet to balance the hops, caramelly and slightly bready.

Medium mouthfeel with sticky aftertaste. The bitterness lingers to cut off the sweetness.

Very drinkable. My first of these was pretty intense (a year ago), but they're really not so bitter (not even the ruination is). Excellent with barbeque and the like.

4.84/5  rDev +14.4%

poured from a 12oz bottle into my favorite imperial pint glass.

Appearance: golden/amber in color with an inch thick sticky white head. strong lacing that lasted throughout the whole glass.

Smell: hops are all over this sucker. big hop stink (stink in a good way).

Taste: hops definitely take the cake in this brew but there is also a nice medium maltiness that balances the brew out nicely. crisp fruity hop flavor, a little piney on the front of the tongue and then a nice sturdy hop bitterness on the back end. this is it for me when it comes to ipas. as kramer would say, welcome to flavor country.

Mouthfeel: medium in body, very creamy and refreshing.

Drinkability: My favorite ipa, I could session this beer all night. 10 bucks a sixer (in mass) is worth it for me.

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

the enjoy by date at the bottom is cyptic. It either says 02 12 07 or 32 12 07 which wouldn't make sense. Tasting next to DFH 60 Min.

Tastes are comparable to me in terms of what I might like better. Stone's is a bit sweeter, hoppier but DFH's has a nice dryness to it and a bit of biscuity taste. Mouthfeel is where Stone might take DFH here.

App. - 4.5, Smell - 4.0, Taste - 4.0, Mouth - 4.0, Drink - 4.0

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance - Coppery-gold. As clear as a top quality flat-screen TV.

Smell - Good. Hoppy. A little hint of citrus but the hops overpower most of it.

Taste - Excellent. It's incredibly balanced. I'm getting a little hint of coffee and more citrus than from the smell. A perfect amount of bitterness and hops. I could give this beer to my girlfriend confident it wouldn't crush her with bitterness. But the bitterness is still there--just very subtly.

Mouthfeel - Velvety smooth. Great. Can't think of better adjectives to describe the mouthfeel. Wonderful. Soft. Gentle but firm with my tastebuds--excellent.

Drinkability - If it weren't for the strong hop flavor, I would swear this is a "session" beer. Very easy to drink. Dangerously easy to drink.

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a copper-apricot color with a nice head that quickly dissipates and leaves a nice ring of lacing. The smell is slightly sweet with strong citrus aromas dominating. This beer has a nice grapefruit aroma going on. This is a hop forward IPA. There is a decent malt backbone but the hops steal the show as they should in a west coast IPA. This is a nicely carbonated IPA, not too bubbly but just bubbly enough which really helps to tie the whole package together.

Stone IPA is always around so I don't drink it often but when I do I always question why I don't drink it more often. This is a damn solid IPA, one that I need to remind myself to get reacquainted with from time to time.

4.9/5  rDev +15.8%

Opened the bottle cap with the back of the blade on a machete like usual. haha seriously

A- looked golden with soo many bubbles. quite clear

S- like walking through a forrest of pine. Lots of pine and some citrus especially grapefruit. Hops are amazing

T- Grapefruit is most prominent. with pine and floral notes. The bitterness takes away alot of the taste at the end.

M- crisp and bitter.

D- easy, one of my favorite IPA's

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

I am very impressed with this beer, by bottle and by tap! Its taste is very smooth for a beer such high alcohol content. Quite hoppy with not to much sweetness. The color is beatiful, not to dark with little haze. This is a solid choice all year long!

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the IPA that got me into hoppier beers to begin with. When i was younger, i had Ranger IPA and thought very little of IPAs till my uncle (from California) got me a Stone sampler which included this flagship IPA. I will TRY to rate this IPA as objectively as possible... It pours a nice honey with very little bubbles. About a 2 finger creamy-white head with medium lacing. Tastes start with a strong hop presence (duh) then onto slight fruit notes, maybe a faint bit of apricot. The mouthfeel is whole and pleasant. Overall a very good IPA. Anyone who is thinking of trying an IPA, I recommend this one. Honestly, one of the best IPAs out there and one of my personal favorites, when i can get it.

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- beautiful crystal clear orange body, 3 fingers of full white foam that recede slowly, and very faint, if any, carbonation activity.

S- Citrusy, grassy hops and some faint fruity esters. it's medium potency.

T- Wow. Absolutely delicious hop character, but balanced. It doesn't hang out, you don't get "hop bombed", it's just great. This is such a perfect beer to show someone what all the hop character of an IPA is, without scaring them off in the process.

M- It's kinda soft, kinda thin, dry, washes away but hangs in the back of your mouth. Just perfectly palate cleansing.

O- What a beer. I've had my fair share of IPAs, but never one like this. I've never had an IPA that had all the characteristics I look for, yet washes clean and begs for more without sacrificing body. This is a home run. Cheers. I'll buy a 6 pack of this any time i'm going to be with company that will appreciate it, or a 22oz when I'm not.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Picked this one up at the Nova in Hudson Wisconsin, can't get it in Minnesota unfortunately. Pours a hazy straw color. Smell has a fresh quality to it, very brisk. Mild citrus notes are present. Taste is creamy and most pleasant. The hops are of course notable plus somewhat restrained, and not in a bad way. Strawberry perhaps? Some lemon zest for good measure and a touch of mint. The finish has a nuttiness to it. Mouthfeel is of a high quality. The medium and smooth creamlike body grips the palate with a kind of nonchalance. Smooth and easy drinking. All the factors come together beautifully yet it still seems short of magnificient. Lacking in the top-quality of the absolute best ipas (two-hearted, furious and masala mama notably). In the end though a really phenomenal ipa not far off the top.

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Very fruity smell...a lot like honey...very crisp and hoppy as well...I don't usually drink IPA's and prefer much darker styles but have heard great things about the Stone brewery and was not let down by this tasting. A must trust try for all those who enjoy a good IPA

3.92/5  rDev -7.3%

A- Poured a nice gold with a ever so slight orange look shade. It had a nice head, partly due to an aggressive pour. The head didn't stick around for the whole beer, and lacing is somewhat evident.
S- Had a nice initial floral hop smell that was nice. A touch of malts, and even a bite of sweetness. The hops were def up front and stuck around the most.
MF/D- not to bitter, and flavor stuck around for a bit on the tongue. The Hops were pretty crisp, and the malt was subtle, making it a very enjoyable beer.

Appearance: This beer was served in a 16-ounce pint glass. When poured from the tap a handsome, ivory white head formed the width of two fingers and held steadfast for a delightfully pleasant amount of time, which allowed me to fully immerse myself in the consumption of this divine nectar.

Smell: At first, one might assume that the aroma emanating from the beer is just like every other IPA they have ever had and they would be utterly and completely correct! There is so much complexity in the odour of this beer but it still has been crafted with an uncanny sense of refinement. These guys knew what they were doing; so much so that they bottled it and sold it and the rest is history.

At first you get hops, beautiful hops, spicy hops, earthy hops, piney hops, fruity hops. Mostly, hops….

Taste: The taste of this beer is utterly and perfectly sublime. The hops, much like greed in the politics of today, been ubiquitous throughout every aspect of this beer and the flavour factor is no different (77 IBUs!). Think of this beer as a massive earthquake formed deep in the ocean that generates a tsunami with each subsequent after-shock continuing to create wave after wave for a significant period of time.

Immediately, your mouth puckers and is slammed with a tidal wall of spicy hop flavours (thank God for the colonization of India and the invention of dry-hopping). After the initial onslaught, the aftershocks, while not quite as intense, come in waves of varied hop flavour for several minutes after the first drink. As the spice begins to give way, there is a sense of floral earthy flavours, and a hint of citrus, a beautiful creation, indeed.

Let’s not forget the little guys who make this whole process possible, our yeast or Saccharomyces cerevisiae give a tremendous finale, imparting their own unique flavours amongst the hop invasion. The malt is in perfect harmony with the hop characteristic, moderately sweet in comparison to the hops.

Mouth-feel: The feel of this beer as it is consumed should not be compared to a tsunami nor an earthquake but to that of a baby’s bottom. While I have never actually felt the aforesaid, I have heard tale of the unequaled smoothness of such and this beer is no different, smooth. In fact, it is absolutely the smoothest liquid I have ever consumed. The finish leaves your feeling like you just spent the day wandering in the desert but at 6.9 ABV that is expected.

Drinkability: Many a night I have slumbered yearning for just such a beer and, seemingly as a phantom, this beer, doesn’t seem real. The Holy Grail, seemingly something not quite attainable for any brewmaster, those Arrogant Bastards at Stone must have found the chalice and used it in the crafiting of this beer. It is addictive and their creation continues to haunt my palate every second I deny myself of it. Simply put, once consumed it will consume you.

Served on tap from Kilted Mermaid of Vero Beach, FL for a price of $4

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

This is in my top 3 IPAs so far.
This was very well balanced and very drinkable.
i liked the citurs in it and the fact that the piney flavor was not overpowering. not sure about the pine-sol guy who gave it a D. I mean it has alot of hops which is on style, but i thought it was balanced well, and i've tried beers that tasted like pine sap, this is not one of them.

Go buy some and drink it. You will like it.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing