Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 2,969 | Ratings: 10,740
4.57/5  rDev +8%

My Benchmark Calli IPA...This was the beer that made me fall in love with hops...Thank you Stone...If I ever make it out to Calli, I will be there...The Crisp finish with the high dryness makes you remember how it tastes the next day...after the gig....

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Nice two finger head. Clear, golden color with visible carbonation. The head is quickly reduced to a thin but lingering film. Strong lacing.

S: Immediately noticeable upon cracking the bottle. Strong grapefruit scents with notes of pine. Slight floral aroma mixed with hints of bread. Sweet but earthy.

T: Amazing. Despite having a great hop profile this beer is crisp and clean; more so than the great majority of IPAs. Initial taste is of grapefruit, caramel and bread. This is followed by a terrific piney flavor while the caramel slightly lingers. No malts. Nicely mild, piney and bitter aftertaste with a few floral notes.

M: Perfect thickness and carbonation. The bitterness masks the sweetness nicely. For some the lingering bitterness might be a problem, but not for me.

D: Again, bitterness could make this a sipper for some, but the crisp, clean profile makes this a session beer in my book.

Terrific beer, and one of my favorite IPAs. Consistently good---one of my standbys. Obviously, I'm not alone in my praise for this beer so I'll stop gushing now. Enjoy!

3.26/5  rDev -22.9%

Looks, smells and tastes like an IPA. Nice beer. There are better out there. I liked it. I think if everyone tasted this blind -- without knowing who made it -- they might just find it a good competent IPA. I think the Stone reputation here has more to do with the high rating than actually tasting it objectively.

4.49/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Excellent nose ..very citrusy and clean. malts integrated but not pushy. overall hop dominated. very nice summer beer, it cools you off. lingering chewy pine aftertaste but not palate wrecking easy to drink. high acidity from hops. alcohol well hidden at 6.9% abv. nice head until the end. good pub or outdoor beer; only improves as it heats up.

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Really an excellent beer... I've missed it! Great with burgers and fries with some kick!

Pours an amber gold with a giant white head. Lacing and webbing through the glass.

The smell has got some punch... tons of grapefruit, pine, and other citrus. Hard to catch much else.

Very sweet to balance the hops, caramelly and slightly bready.

Medium mouthfeel with sticky aftertaste. The bitterness lingers to cut off the sweetness.

Very drinkable. My first of these was pretty intense (a year ago), but they're really not so bitter (not even the ruination is). Excellent with barbeque and the like.

4.84/5  rDev +14.4%

poured from a 12oz bottle into my favorite imperial pint glass.

Appearance: golden/amber in color with an inch thick sticky white head. strong lacing that lasted throughout the whole glass.

Smell: hops are all over this sucker. big hop stink (stink in a good way).

Taste: hops definitely take the cake in this brew but there is also a nice medium maltiness that balances the brew out nicely. crisp fruity hop flavor, a little piney on the front of the tongue and then a nice sturdy hop bitterness on the back end. this is it for me when it comes to ipas. as kramer would say, welcome to flavor country.

Mouthfeel: medium in body, very creamy and refreshing.

Drinkability: My favorite ipa, I could session this beer all night. 10 bucks a sixer (in mass) is worth it for me.

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

the enjoy by date at the bottom is cyptic. It either says 02 12 07 or 32 12 07 which wouldn't make sense. Tasting next to DFH 60 Min.

Tastes are comparable to me in terms of what I might like better. Stone's is a bit sweeter, hoppier but DFH's has a nice dryness to it and a bit of biscuity taste. Mouthfeel is where Stone might take DFH here.

App. - 4.5, Smell - 4.0, Taste - 4.0, Mouth - 4.0, Drink - 4.0

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance - Coppery-gold. As clear as a top quality flat-screen TV.

Smell - Good. Hoppy. A little hint of citrus but the hops overpower most of it.

Taste - Excellent. It's incredibly balanced. I'm getting a little hint of coffee and more citrus than from the smell. A perfect amount of bitterness and hops. I could give this beer to my girlfriend confident it wouldn't crush her with bitterness. But the bitterness is still there--just very subtly.

Mouthfeel - Velvety smooth. Great. Can't think of better adjectives to describe the mouthfeel. Wonderful. Soft. Gentle but firm with my tastebuds--excellent.

Drinkability - If it weren't for the strong hop flavor, I would swear this is a "session" beer. Very easy to drink. Dangerously easy to drink.

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a copper-apricot color with a nice head that quickly dissipates and leaves a nice ring of lacing. The smell is slightly sweet with strong citrus aromas dominating. This beer has a nice grapefruit aroma going on. This is a hop forward IPA. There is a decent malt backbone but the hops steal the show as they should in a west coast IPA. This is a nicely carbonated IPA, not too bubbly but just bubbly enough which really helps to tie the whole package together.

Stone IPA is always around so I don't drink it often but when I do I always question why I don't drink it more often. This is a damn solid IPA, one that I need to remind myself to get reacquainted with from time to time.

4.9/5  rDev +15.8%

Opened the bottle cap with the back of the blade on a machete like usual. haha seriously

A- looked golden with soo many bubbles. quite clear

S- like walking through a forrest of pine. Lots of pine and some citrus especially grapefruit. Hops are amazing

T- Grapefruit is most prominent. with pine and floral notes. The bitterness takes away alot of the taste at the end.

M- crisp and bitter.

D- easy, one of my favorite IPA's

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

I am very impressed with this beer, by bottle and by tap! Its taste is very smooth for a beer such high alcohol content. Quite hoppy with not to much sweetness. The color is beatiful, not to dark with little haze. This is a solid choice all year long!

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the IPA that got me into hoppier beers to begin with. When i was younger, i had Ranger IPA and thought very little of IPAs till my uncle (from California) got me a Stone sampler which included this flagship IPA. I will TRY to rate this IPA as objectively as possible... It pours a nice honey with very little bubbles. About a 2 finger creamy-white head with medium lacing. Tastes start with a strong hop presence (duh) then onto slight fruit notes, maybe a faint bit of apricot. The mouthfeel is whole and pleasant. Overall a very good IPA. Anyone who is thinking of trying an IPA, I recommend this one. Honestly, one of the best IPAs out there and one of my personal favorites, when i can get it.

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- beautiful crystal clear orange body, 3 fingers of full white foam that recede slowly, and very faint, if any, carbonation activity.

S- Citrusy, grassy hops and some faint fruity esters. it's medium potency.

T- Wow. Absolutely delicious hop character, but balanced. It doesn't hang out, you don't get "hop bombed", it's just great. This is such a perfect beer to show someone what all the hop character of an IPA is, without scaring them off in the process.

M- It's kinda soft, kinda thin, dry, washes away but hangs in the back of your mouth. Just perfectly palate cleansing.

O- What a beer. I've had my fair share of IPAs, but never one like this. I've never had an IPA that had all the characteristics I look for, yet washes clean and begs for more without sacrificing body. This is a home run. Cheers. I'll buy a 6 pack of this any time i'm going to be with company that will appreciate it, or a 22oz when I'm not.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Picked this one up at the Nova in Hudson Wisconsin, can't get it in Minnesota unfortunately. Pours a hazy straw color. Smell has a fresh quality to it, very brisk. Mild citrus notes are present. Taste is creamy and most pleasant. The hops are of course notable plus somewhat restrained, and not in a bad way. Strawberry perhaps? Some lemon zest for good measure and a touch of mint. The finish has a nuttiness to it. Mouthfeel is of a high quality. The medium and smooth creamlike body grips the palate with a kind of nonchalance. Smooth and easy drinking. All the factors come together beautifully yet it still seems short of magnificient. Lacking in the top-quality of the absolute best ipas (two-hearted, furious and masala mama notably). In the end though a really phenomenal ipa not far off the top.

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Very fruity smell...a lot like honey...very crisp and hoppy as well...I don't usually drink IPA's and prefer much darker styles but have heard great things about the Stone brewery and was not let down by this tasting. A must trust try for all those who enjoy a good IPA

3.92/5  rDev -7.3%

A- Poured a nice gold with a ever so slight orange look shade. It had a nice head, partly due to an aggressive pour. The head didn't stick around for the whole beer, and lacing is somewhat evident.
S- Had a nice initial floral hop smell that was nice. A touch of malts, and even a bite of sweetness. The hops were def up front and stuck around the most.
MF/D- not to bitter, and flavor stuck around for a bit on the tongue. The Hops were pretty crisp, and the malt was subtle, making it a very enjoyable beer.

Appearance: This beer was served in a 16-ounce pint glass. When poured from the tap a handsome, ivory white head formed the width of two fingers and held steadfast for a delightfully pleasant amount of time, which allowed me to fully immerse myself in the consumption of this divine nectar.

Smell: At first, one might assume that the aroma emanating from the beer is just like every other IPA they have ever had and they would be utterly and completely correct! There is so much complexity in the odour of this beer but it still has been crafted with an uncanny sense of refinement. These guys knew what they were doing; so much so that they bottled it and sold it and the rest is history.

At first you get hops, beautiful hops, spicy hops, earthy hops, piney hops, fruity hops. Mostly, hops….

Taste: The taste of this beer is utterly and perfectly sublime. The hops, much like greed in the politics of today, been ubiquitous throughout every aspect of this beer and the flavour factor is no different (77 IBUs!). Think of this beer as a massive earthquake formed deep in the ocean that generates a tsunami with each subsequent after-shock continuing to create wave after wave for a significant period of time.

Immediately, your mouth puckers and is slammed with a tidal wall of spicy hop flavours (thank God for the colonization of India and the invention of dry-hopping). After the initial onslaught, the aftershocks, while not quite as intense, come in waves of varied hop flavour for several minutes after the first drink. As the spice begins to give way, there is a sense of floral earthy flavours, and a hint of citrus, a beautiful creation, indeed.

Let’s not forget the little guys who make this whole process possible, our yeast or Saccharomyces cerevisiae give a tremendous finale, imparting their own unique flavours amongst the hop invasion. The malt is in perfect harmony with the hop characteristic, moderately sweet in comparison to the hops.

Mouth-feel: The feel of this beer as it is consumed should not be compared to a tsunami nor an earthquake but to that of a baby’s bottom. While I have never actually felt the aforesaid, I have heard tale of the unequaled smoothness of such and this beer is no different, smooth. In fact, it is absolutely the smoothest liquid I have ever consumed. The finish leaves your feeling like you just spent the day wandering in the desert but at 6.9 ABV that is expected.

Drinkability: Many a night I have slumbered yearning for just such a beer and, seemingly as a phantom, this beer, doesn’t seem real. The Holy Grail, seemingly something not quite attainable for any brewmaster, those Arrogant Bastards at Stone must have found the chalice and used it in the crafiting of this beer. It is addictive and their creation continues to haunt my palate every second I deny myself of it. Simply put, once consumed it will consume you.

Served on tap from Kilted Mermaid of Vero Beach, FL for a price of $4

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

This is in my top 3 IPAs so far.
This was very well balanced and very drinkable.
i liked the citurs in it and the fact that the piney flavor was not overpowering. not sure about the pine-sol guy who gave it a D. I mean it has alot of hops which is on style, but i thought it was balanced well, and i've tried beers that tasted like pine sap, this is not one of them.

Go buy some and drink it. You will like it.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

from bottle into tulip

A- pours a hazy orange with a small head that doesnt last long.

S- sweet hops blended with sweet citrus. the hops and citrus reveal itself more as the beer warms up.

T- nice hops blended well with sweet citrus. some grapefruit but it was very sweet grapefruit. well done.

M- crisp, but not in a bad way. a light to medium body for an IPA. delicious.

O- i really enjoyed this beer. it is a really nice IPA and the ingredients in it are blended very well. very smooth. i would compare the flavor and mouthfeel to a Deschutes Mirror Pond but without the slight bitterness or tang that the mirror pond had.

4.7/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Inch and a half head with a gorgeous hazy golden pour.

S - Hops burst with citrus and pine, very well balanced between the two (this being one of the first IPA's i can really find myself thinking grapefruit as opposed to orange)

T - Very similar to the aroma with the malt flavor coming forward more than i expected based on the aroma. This balances out the flavor profile extremely well.

M - Light to Medium body with a drying finish.

O - This west coast IPA really shines in my opinion. As my palate matures I'm sure I will find myself reaching for stronger doubles and imperial IPAs but for the moment this seems to be my comfort level.

4.94/5  rDev +16.8%

Served in a pint glass.

Loved the fruitiness of this beer. Everything about it - the color, smell, and taste - reminded be of mangoes. A brew with a huge foamy tan head that left a layer of foam the whole way down the glass. Being the Cali ipa that it is, it packs a huge hop punch. Piney, grassy hops on the nose and slick fruity ones in the mouth. Mostly tropical - sweet mandarin oranges and pineapple. Mouthfeel is just how I enjoy it - lightly carbonated, thirst quenching, but still leaves you looking for another sip.

Overall a damn good beer. Maybe even one of the best I've had to date. Loved how drinkable it was and really enjoyed the fruitiness created by the hops. Would highly recommend this beer, as I really don't think it gets much better than this. Drink on!

3.22/5  rDev -23.9%

We did a blind taste test between this beer and 4 others to determine which was a better IPA. The beers that were competing were: Stone IPA, Big Sky IPA, Bear Republic Racer 5, Lagunitas IPA, and Full Sail IPA. Here is the video:

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%

This brew pours a nice strawberry orange, with a one finger marshmallow head which fades fairly quickly into a ring and island. The smell is citrus apple and a bit of pine. Taste is slightly sweet, big and hoppy as hell. Light ready malts with grapefruit and piney hops. Aftertaste is strong and hearty. Mouthfeel is surprisingly crisp and full. Great session beer and may I just say the burps are exquisite. A classic that'll never die. Everything about this beer is big.

3.77/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was about to hammer tranniger ( Ketchikan, Alaska ) for his panning of this legendary beer. However, my first crack at it produces similar results. I hate to agree with this guy - because I think he's a total numbskull - but I do.

22 oz bottle poured into a clean pilsner glass at 52 degrees. Very pleasing light amber color. What the hell is retention? Lacing...I don't really know...I have some homework to do...anyway, the head was nice and clean with large bubbles but, was I drinking it in the right glass? Head stuck to my mustache area in a satisfying way.

Smell is it's best attribute - coriander and hops - very pleasant and rewarding, as smell goes.

Taste is good, but more bitter than I prefer; aftertaste lingers, provoking curiosity and intrigue...many flavors; interesting but still a bit bitter. More tasting produces more yearning, but the result is the same with each additional taste - waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Mouthfeel is nice and thick; coats the palate.

Drinkable, but ultimately too hoppy and bitter for my taste- I've had better.

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

This beer is definitely for hop heads.It is a complex beer, with citrus and stone fruit flavors (peach and tangerine?) underneath a serious hop zing.

To tell you the truth, the hop flavor was so strong that it was difficult for me to finish my half of the bomber I shared with my wife. I liked the fruity undertones, but the intensity of the piney hop tastes killed the drinkability for me.

That said, I'm really a stout and porter guy, so ignore this review if your tastes don't run in the stout/porter direction.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing