IPA | Stone Brewing

stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Ratings: 11,216 |  Reviews: 3,074

4.12/5  rDev -2.1%

What I have found with Stone is that they are very un-even on tap, at least where I am most likely to drink them in Massachusetts.

Sometimes they are malty, sometimes hoppy, sometimes a good balance.

Anyway, this had a nice orangey color, and the aroma was nice and hoppy, very pleasant and fresh.

There was some sweet malt undertone, but basically this was all hops. It was a bit bitter at the start, but as it warmed up became very pleasant. Very nice carbonation added to the mouthfeel.

Got a good one this evening. Always a brewery to check out and see what the beers are up to.

4.54/5  rDev +7.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a mug. 6 pack bought at Rouse's in New Orleans for $9.69.

A: Looks like an IPA. Just barely lighter than the Torpedo I had before this. Not much head, but nice rocky bubbles. Pretty Jackson Pollock lacing.

S: Smell is citrus and hops heaven. Absurdly aggressive. One whiff and you know it's a Stone IPA.

T: Classic IPA citrus fruit (esp grapefruit) bitterness first, then a split second of malts, then that loooong hops finish that lingers forever. This isn't necessarily the most complex IPA, but it's incredibly refreshing. It tastes ballsy and great.

M: Very dry. Quenching. Carbonated perfectly.

O: My nomination for best bang for your buck IPA that's available nationally. Appropriate during all seasons, really all the time. An total craft beer classic.

3.92/5  rDev -6.9%

Had on tap, first time in a long time. Have to say It was not as good as my memory of it. IPA's have come so far in the last few years that this was a disappointment. Pours a slightly cloudy orange color with a one inch, well retained head that left gorgeous lacing all the way down the glass. Smell is citrus, pine, sweet honey like note and some malts. Flavor follows the smell, but it smells better than it tastes. Slight astringent bitterness on the finish. Light bodied, moderately carbonated, slightly sticky mouth feel. Good, but certainly not great.

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

4.63/5  rDev +10%

Poured into a pint glass. Very light straw colored. There is just the tiniest bit of haze here. Large 2 finger white head. Almost as good as it gets.

Great nose that is full of citrus and rosemary. Any aroma from the malt is not worth mentioning here; it's secondary. Not too complex, but it's an IPA, it should smell like hops and it does.

The very first sip I took began with a hint of malt sweetness. After that the bitter hop finish dominated. Lots of grapefruit flavor in this one. I do not detect any sweetness the second sip and beyond. This qualifies as very dry for sure.

The carbonation is pretty high, as indicated by the foaming during the pour; possibly emphasizing the bitterness. Good drinkability on this one. It's one of my favorites.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Stone is not a brewery to be taken lightly. With their penchant for adding more hops to their light beers than most brewers stick in an Imperial IPA, it comes as no surprise that even their entry-level IPA smells intensely of pine and grapefruit. Below that bitter layer rests orange and apricot scents, and a good noseful of brown sugars.

On the tongue, hops are front and center, the brew's 77 IBUs translating into an instant pine and grapefruit shock that makes identifying other flavors difficult. Still, there are other tastes there: orange and lemon peel, brown sugar, banana, and hints of wildflower honey. The aftertaste, like the rest of the mouthful, is dominated by hops, and lasts for quite a while.

Overall, Stone's IPA is good fare, and definitely does not shy away from the hops. Hop-lovers will rejoice at this bitterness, but at the same time, many of the beer's more subtle flavors get lost in the mix, marking a possibly huge weakness (depending on your tastes).

3.67/5  rDev -12.8%

I have one beer maxim: I'll never regret choosing Furious. Whether it's at a bar/restaurant, or in a liquor store, I am frequently faced with the dilemma we all face: a favorite -vs- something new. And while there's always something new to try, occasionally, you have to go to your go-to.

But then one day, you order your go-to, and someone else orders something you've never tried, and when you get a sip, you realize your go-to won't cut it anymore. Personally, I went from Summit EPA to SNPA to Two Hearted to Furious, where I've been stuck for about 6 years.

Well, Stone has been in the market for at least a year, and I have tried almost everything in their lineup. But somehow, plain old IPA has escaped my attention. And yet, I keep tripping over the notion (mostly in the BA forums, mind you) that Stone IPA is not to be taken lightly, that this, not one of the Bastards, is their flagship beer. That this may be the beer that causes me to think, as I take my next sip of Furious, that I ordered the wrong beer.

OK - the bar is set impossibly high. Let's go.

Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a Surly pint glass. It's a clear, golden liquid that produces a 3" foamy head. It looks sticky, judging from the lacing as I swirl it. Nothing to write home about here, but if we're being honest, appearance is the least important factor in enjoying an IPA. How does it smell?

In a word, not bad. Yeah, that's a couple of words, but come on. This is supposed to to be a transcendent beer. I'm fairly certain that I am required to pronounce the quality of my beergasm by the end of this review. It's malty. It's hoppy. It actually smells bitter, if that's possible, It also smells vegetal. And I'm not getting much fruit to speak of. No citrus, nothing tropical. Man, this isn't looking good. But how does it taste?

Maybe a little better than it smells. That stickiness was not an illusion. The malt is strong in this one, and that means there's enough sweetness to deal with the bitterness. Well, there's enough to start, anyway. This is one bitter IPA.

And one bitter IPA drinker. Is THIS the legendary West Coast IPA that is supposed to make me swear off all pretenders? Please. The presence of this beer wouldn't even make me regret ordering a Two Hearted. I. Don't. Get. It.

Drinkability: Not bad, same as overall.

EDIT: For some reason, I decided to drink my last bottle of Stone IPA straight from the bottle, which is something I practically never do. I'll be damned if I didn't enjoy this beer considerably more than in a glass. So I am taking the rare step (possibly my first) of adjusting my rating. Taste and overall bumped my 1/2 point.

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

Had on tap at Lucky Baldwin's Delirium Cafe. As common as this beer is in So. Cal I've only had it a couple times in the last 2 or 3 years since in my first couple experiences with it I just found it too "grassy" of an IPA. Well I don't know what has changed- my palate, or their recipe but this was a fantastic IPA. It had a bit of citrus in it which I never noticed before plus a load of pine. I will definitely be ordering this as one of my regular beers from now on.

IPA from Stone Brewing