Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 3,011 | Ratings: 10,911
4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Wonderful appearance, light amber/caramel color, with one hell of a white fluffy head when poured into a glass.

S - Excellent aroma, good citrusy smell, wonderful fresh hoppy scent.

T - The taste will blow you away, the flavors that you smell carry over to the taste of this beer. Nice hoppy flavor that turns sweet and citrusy.

M - Very light on the palate but medium bodied, doesn't leave the mouth feeling overly dry after you drink one, good amount of carbination.

D - A good everyday, drink a few after supper kind of IPA. One hell of a brew!

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours with a hazy orange glow and a foamy head of at least two inches. Head dissipates fairly quickly and leaves minimal lacing. Nose is very hoppy with an herbal and fruity smell. Taste is hoppy with mildly fruity malts. Medium carbonation. Crisp mouthfeel with restrained bitterness. Very drinkable.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Picked up a sixer at a local liquor store for about 12 dollars. For that price I expected something really spectacular and the 95 overall ranking made me think "oh boy, this is going to be great!". If I'm honest, it just isn't. It's TOO bitter. It tastes like what I imagine grapefruit peels to taste like. If you puréed them with some pine needles. Hopslam is way better for my palate any day of the week. Ugh.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Awesome beer. Just fantastic. With so many junk IPAs out there - this sets the standard of what an India Pale Ale shoud be. Tons of flavor and the bite is just right.

One of the grandaddys of California IPAs. I have had this on many occassions, including at the Stone brewery. Drank it with friends on March 1st at home in bottle - reminder of how great tasting this IPA is. Lots of hop, but not overpowering in smell - it is all there in the taste.

3.12/5  rDev -26.2%

I gave this low marks because the taste just was not there, but after reading other reviews, I realize I must have gotten a bad batch or something. NY is far from CA, I don't know...

Appearance seemed normal, smell very good. The aroma promised a nice, full hoppy taste. But the taste was lacking. A very light hint, and then a little stronger taste of hops on the aftertaste, but pretty weak for any beer.

Like I said, this was not the same beer that everyone else here tasted. I will definitely try this one again, and give a fairer review.

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a deep, clear gold/amber color. Quickly dissipating white head.

Aroma is pretty much all hops. Piny, citrusy, and maybe a bit of an almost minty aroma.

Flavor is mostly hops, too. But still fairly well balanced with malt. Finishes with a lingering bitterness with an almost juniper-like flavor.

Not bad.

3.73/5  rDev -11.8%

This beer looks terrific. Fluffy dollops of white with excellent retention sit majestically on top of a hazy golden amber liquid. The head is so thick and clingy that the lacing it leaves form circles where the beer sat between pulls. The nose has heavy hits of spice and bubblegum with plum backing up.

This isn’t quite as hoppy as I would have expected, and I was a bit disappointed by that. The hit at the front is mild and spicy. The taste ramps up though out the trip through the mouth, and lingers strongly in the aftertaste. There is a slight grassiness most prevalent in the aftertaste. Despite lacking mouth-punching hops: it is a very well balanced brew.

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a nice rich gold with not much head but good lacing. The smell is like being in a field of hops.

I took my first sip-- smooth as silk. Giant hop flavor, very mellow, and great balance. Not too bitter but tons of hops. Unnaturally easy to drink. Hands down my favorite IPA to date. If you don't like hops try a different brew.

4.44/5  rDev +5%

As you pour it, the hoppy aroma is what strikes you about this beer. Did not pour with a big head - about thre-fourths of an inch. Excellent taste and mouthfeel - lives upto its promise of being deliciously hoppy. Drinkability is high - perhaps the best among all of Stone's beers.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a bomber into an imperial pint glass.

A: Fantastic! Beautiful clear golden straw color with a thick tan-white head that slowly falls back into the glass as it's consumed with a great amount of lacing.
S: Citrus and Pine hop aromas dominate the nose on this one with some biscuity malt in the background.
T: Pine and citrus hops predominate the flavor as well. Great hop bitterness that is wonderfully balanced with malt sweetness.
M: Rich, crisp and refreshing are the first 3 words that come to mind.
D: This is one of the best stright up IPAs I have ever had. A very easy drinking IPA. Would go great with some spicy food even just a pizza. Highly, highly recommend this one!

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured a slightly cloudy straw/ golden color. Rocky white head with decent retention.

Smelled bitter with a lot of citrus and a bit fruity.

Taste was remarkably smooth for a stone beer, especially considering the usual comments about its "big character" on the bottle. Even though it was smooth, it had plenty of bitter in it. The result is a taste that is really nice and hoppy but without the face wrinkling overbearing quality that plagues many IPAs. The aftertaste is a lingering citrus flavour.

Drinkability was decent. This isn't my go to style of beer which means that I wouldn't want more than one of them in a sitting. Despite that, this is a damn good IPA, possibly the best IPA I've had yet.

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours orange-golden with thin white head that dissipates. Clear. Nice floral hop aroma invites you in. Straight bitterness, but very clean and crisp and not overly harsh. Malt is present for only a blink. Dry finish. Very good, but I think I prefer the Ruination. This is a very easy drink, though. Makes me wish it was 80 F and sunny and not 22 F like it is now!

3.65/5  rDev -13.7%

A - Golden colored, slightly cloudy with a lot of foamy white head. Leaves a ton of lacing on the glass.
S - Lots of piney hop smell in the nose.
T - Starts a little sweet, but the hops kick in pretty fast. Lots of pine flavor.
M - Mouthfeel is average. It's not full, it's not watery. It's just a beer. The bitterness of the hops does leave almost a dry feeling in you mouth when you're done.
D - I felt that the piney hops were almost over the top. I liked this beer but when I was done with this bottle I was done with this beer for a while. By the end the hop bitterness had gotten old. The citrusy hops in something like Racer 5 IPA don't wear on me near as much.

3.63/5  rDev -14.2%

Solid. Given the expansion of the style since its debut, I'll even say it's downright ordinary by now. But that doesn't make it bad. Pours light, crisp, clear, and golden. Tame nose with the requisite pine and lemon notes. Bitterness hits you in the back after a clean, smooth, and refreshing front end. I can't complain, yet I'm not quite ready to celebrate.

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance- Medium Golden amber color, nice foamy, creamy head with great lacing.

Smell-Very nice Piney and grassy hop aroma with a hint of citrus at the end.

Taste-The piney hop flavor really pulls through but i also noticed a resinousy, grassy hop flavor as well it is quickly balanced by a bicuity malt. Very easy to drink, not overly bitter and very smooth.Wow!

Mouthfeel=Pretty light bodied for an IPA and a smooth feel.

Drinkabilty-One of the best IPA's I've tasted. Not overly bitter or oily but full of flavor. Gotta try it if you see it.

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

My favorite IPA that I have had to date.

A- A yellowy orange beer that leaves behind a solid lacing.

S- Citrusy and tangy, (Grapefruit, lemon, orange) with a strong hop presence that looms large.

T- Best tasting IPA that I have tried. Starts out citrusy and almost piney, and leaves a bitter aftertaste that lingers for a while.

M- Great amount of carbonation. Light enough body that makes it a potential sessional beer.

Overall I think this is such a well-rounded IPA. It goes down very easily, and although it has a higher abv than the BMC's of the world, it can just as easily be a session beer. It has been my go to for months, and I am still not sick of it. Just can't wait to try all the rest that Stone Brewing Co. has to offer.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this beer many times, but I most recently was fortunate even to visit San Diego, and I sampled this tasty beer in a tulip glass while at the San Diego Airport (Stone Brewing in Terminal 2).
Appearance: Golden/orange in color. About 1.5 fingers of white foamy head
Smell:Plenty of hops aroma with a mix of citrus.
Taste: Complex mixture of balanced bitterness and sweetness. Goes down pretty easily with only a mildly bitter aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Smooth and full-bodied with a moderate level of carbonation.
Overall: Along with Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA, this is the gold standard of IPAs that I compare all other IPAs to. Great beer overall.

3.87/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours a very nice copper color, and has a nice white head that dissapated fairly quickly. Very good, strong hop aroma. You can definitely tell hops make up a big part of this brew, though there is also a very nice malty/citrusy smell balancing it out.

Taste is very hoppy, with a fairly strong up front bitterness flowing into very nice hop, malt, and slitely citrus flavors. Bitterness resides quickly and it has a good body and great mouthfeel, with great overall balance.

the beer poured a very light amber color and had a vairly wear head... about a half an inch or so. The head didn't last very long unfortunatly... but ohh well. anyway the beer smelt nice, hoppy hints of fruit. and it tasted about the same. the first bottle I tried of this I wasnt too impress4ed, but mainly cause I expected THE BEST from stone. second bottle though. very good. nice amount of bitterness and easy to drink. tasted great. I would no doubt reccomend this beer, if you can find it grab it. easy to drink, tastes great.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Straight out of the 12 ounce bottle this IPA poured remarkebly clear. Settling into my glass with a hazy orange tinted gold body and a foamy off white head. Highly carbonated.

Aroma was overwelming with hops. Highly sweet aroma that is very friendly to the nose. I can actually still smell the citrus hops from here with my glass sitting next to me. Orange and grapefruit come to mind.

Nice warm upfront bitternes in the taste that just kisses the tounge. More earthy and malty flavors come through in the middle with a smooth bitter and hoppy finish. Smooth with a nice bitter bite that doesnt take away from the rest of the beers.

A medium body feel for the mouth, not to heavy and not to light. Very smooth going down.

Highly drinkable, I'm trying to resist drinking the rest of this 6-pack before I go to work.

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Nice golden orange appearance with the bubble rising nicely in my tulip glass. Medium head but a little shy on the lacing.

Bursting with grapefruity hops on the nose - just like I like it.

Nice hit of citrus taste and a sharp hop bite especially on the after taste. Not the biggest IPA I've had nor the most complex but a classic nonetheless.

Mouthfeel is just a touch thin but that doesn't detract substantially from a highly drinkable beer. I will always come back to this one.

Apearance is a dark gold with a cloudy hew. A decent white foam head.

Smells of strong hops and alcohol. Some malty smells as well as a light grass smell.

Very bitter with a strong presence of hops. Leaves a strong after taste of hops and alcohol.

Very smooth feel with a heavy presence.

Great IPA to drink. Not to strong, not to light. Just a great all around IPA

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Trying to review a beer a day now.

A: Gold/orange with a frothy two finger head (two of my fingers that is) super tight head, nice lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Subdued citrus and a little pine, not too much there.

T: Citrus fruit flavors, almost reminiscent of fruit loops because I get a nice hint of grain at the end. No hints of alcohol. I'm surprised that these higher abv IPAs hide the alcohol so well.

M: A little thin for me, not bad though in fact good just not exceptional. Light carbonation.

O: Another solid beer from Stone, I'm continuously impressed by them. Worth the money to try.

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

Cowboy style

A- The bottle looked good...

S- Sharp and aggressive with some citrus

T- Wonderfully bitter and strong with a nice undercurrent of citrus notes

M- Smooth, not overcarbonated, not too thick or too thin for an IPA

Fantastic beer. My friend handed me a bottle. We were looking after a house and I didn't want to bother him with a request for a glass (being that he'd have to wash it) so I just drank it from the bottle as he was. Still an exceptional beer, even just out of the bottle. Can't imagine how incredible it is in a glass much less on tap. Great beer. Bitter is better.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing