IPA | Stone Brewing

stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Ratings: 11,161 |  Reviews: 3,057
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served chilled in a pint glass. 22 oz. bomber.

Appearance: Clear golden yellow topped off with a modest frothy white head. Little to no retention, just a smallish crown on this king of IPA's. Nice lacing as I greedily consumed this ambrosia.

Smell: Largely piney hops with herbal hoppiness lingering in the backround. Citrus aromas are also prominent, largely grapefruit. INTENSE. Can be smelt from across the room, I bet... I didn't try this as I did not want to be parted from my glass that long.

Taste: I never thought I'd say this, but hoppy citrus sweetness, almost kinda grapefruit and orange-like. Then the bitterness kicks in. No hint of alcohol at all. I'm very impressed by the subtle flavors, despite this being somewhat of a hop monster.

Mouthfeel: Lightly creamy, lingering hop aftertastes, but it does not overstay it's welcome.

Drinkability: Hell yeah! And I'm not much of a hophead. Definite regular purchase. I hope the 12 oz. are this good.

A hazy golden colored brew with a swirling cloud sitting just below the thick white head on top. It has a great nose of grassy bitterness. Hops are just bombarding me.

The initial flavor is not as hoppy as I would expect from the aroma, but wait, there it is. The bitterness starts to come in from the edges of my tongue. It has a great hoppy bite to it. Crisp, and very flavorful. Body is medium, and it is not missing anything in that department. Just a well-rounded IPA. Why can't I get more Stone in Jersey!?

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Aroma: You’ve just stepped into a hop factory. Cascade? Not sure, but fresh hops, with subtle hints of hops with hop overtones. Deep in the smell, there is a hint of malt that is quickly hit over the head with hops and told to stay down.
Appearance: Well… pale. Light straw color that issued a sad little head, but left a ring of suds that impressed me with a light lace/tide marks for being so small. The second pour from the bomber I got more aggressive with the pour, and gained a fluffy white head, but clung to the side with lace and quickly died, and left the beer noticeably flatter. The head on the third (half glass) pour showed very large bubbles.
Flavor: Hoppy, but not bitter.
Mouthfeel: Silky. It doesn’t feel like a pale ale, closer to a bock in mouthfeel, but oh, so smooth. Liquid jello? It practically races down your throat.
Overall Impression: I got this because I’ve learned to respect Stone Brewery, and it ranked so highly on the “Top Beers” list. It took me a while to get past HOPPY, but I started to understand that this beer, with hops, hops, and more hops, wasn’t screwing my face into a, forgive me “bitter beer face”. The balance allows the entire hop flavor to come through, but backs it with enough malt to leave no edge at all. The smooth finish encourages another drink, and another, so drinkability is only slowed by the sizable alcoholic kick that creeps up on you. This is a liquid celebration of the noble hop. If this is what British soldiers got while serving in India, I think I’d sign up. While not for the faint of heart, this is a must-taste for any hop head.

4.09/5  rDev -2.9%

Presentation: 12oz. brown bottle; no "bottled on" or "best before" warning; purchased as a stray single for $1.39 from the West LA Whole Foods on National and Barrington.

Appearance: Pours a fairly clear, orange-tinged gold; fine, bone-white, half-inch head; sticky lacing; decent head retention.

Aroma: Largely of grapefruit, pine and sweet caramel malts.

Taste: Thick, toasted, caramel malts upfront; heavy, aggressive bitterness in the finish; strong notes of a) grapefruit and b) pine; medium bodied with a creamy, crisp mouthfeel.

Notes: Big, delicious IPA; everything you'd expect of a Stone IPA.

4.39/5  rDev +4.3%

I'm getting the idea that Stone may be a good brewery. Another excellent, intense beer from those bastards. This one has an golden orange body with a medium-sized white head. Smell is ridiculously potent. I like. Strong candy toffee malts with an equally strong hoppy background. Taste is good. Malts up front, but not as sweet and toffeeish as the smell implies, with a sharp acidic hop bitterness carrying through to the finish.

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

An excellent Westcoast IPA. Potent, hoppy, but extremely drinkable.

The body is clear and slightly amber with a fantastic bone-white head that laces well.

The aroma is an explosion of hops, citrusy but still tamed by a sweet malty nose hidden in the background -- beautiful.

The flavor is smooth and well-balanced, from the aroma I expected to be blasted with hop bitterness, but the generous malt background makes this IPA smooth and delicious with a perfect hot bite.

The body is generous making this beer surprising creamy on the palate, but not cloying. This IPA was so drinkable that I kick myself for not bringing another bottle back with me from my trip to the Westcoast.

4.8/5  rDev +14%

I don't know if it was just happened to be the context of last night, but this beer was nearly perfect. A beautiful brownish gold with and off-white head, consisting of loose, bulbous bubbles.

The aroma was exelent, too. A great blend of hops and malt and floral and citrus. It literaly made my mouth water.

Then the taste. Man, the sweetness of the malt enveloped the tongue, and then a blanket of bitterness charmed its way into all the corners of my mouth. The carb level was perfect and the whole experience was one I will difinitly repeat.

Drink. Enjoy. Repeat.
This should be on every bottle.

Cheers

4.73/5  rDev +12.4%

Appearance – Gorgeous, cloudy bright orange body with a monster head that kept well and laced the glass.

Smell – Strong hop aroma, announcing the seriousness of this brew. There’s a terrific mix of floral and citrus hop scents, giving this ale a wonderful bouquet.

Taste – Deep, passionate, hop flavor is the trademark of this one. The floral hops kick in a little more at the taste, but this is an exceptionally balanced ale. There’s also a good malt balance in this one. Amazing!

Mouthfeel – Light carbonation in accordance with the style.

Drinkability – This one went down smooth as silk. This is quality at its finest. Another excellent offering from Stone.

Update – This is a staple in my house, so I decided to revisit my review in ’04. It really is an excellent ale. I was trying to figure out what kept me from 5ing this one. I think it’s the lack of a good, strong, lingering finish. The flavors just seem to drop off the table. Otherwise this IPA is perfect.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

The beer pours a darker golden color. White head, but not too much of it. There is a nice citrus-pine/hop nose. Hops are fairly evident in the taste, but not as up front as some of their other brews. I was expecting more hops than I could handle, but even though they are strong, the balance is excellent. It has a crisp finish. A fine quaff!

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Poured a nice golden yellow with a hint of orange. A little hazy, but it seemed to clear up as it went along. Nice 1" head, white, that lasted quite a while. After it dissappated, all I had to do was swirl the glass slightly and it was back. Nice lacing down the side of the glass as well.

Smell: Hops hops and more hops. Overwhelmingly hoppy in the smell. Maybe some citrus and a mild malt profile, but thin compared to the hops.

Taste: Much more balanced than I expected from the smell. There is definately an overwhelming amount of hops, but a nice grassy malt flavor blends in nicely from behind. Smoother than I expected as well. Bitter, but that's what you'd expect. It's a beer that bites you back. The malt charactoristics really show in the aftertaste, but even there, you can taste the hops, and it lingers forever. I'm sitting here savoring the aftertaste and I finished it about 5 minutes ago. Yummy. Lots of flavor there, just hard to define.

Mouthfeel: Crisp. Very crisp. Not too thin, but not overwhelmingly thick or oily. Nice and clean.

Drinkability: Started out rather nice, but by the end of the bottle, it was getting a little hard to continue. Not that it's bad, but the bitterness really is strong as it starts to warm up. I spent a good 45 minutes drinking this. Just sipping it and enjoying the silence of children in bed and the wife at the gem. Me and sportscenter and Stone I.P.A. Not bad.

Props to a Jeremy, a friend of mine, for meeting me at the lake with this, Arrogant Bastard, 1554 Black Ale, and Porch Swing (reviews pending). I can't get any of them in Oklahoma, so I have to rely on other methods. Also, he just gave them to me. Gotta love free beer. This one, bitter, full of hops, but balanced. Could definately drink again, and will, but it's not something I could drink tons of in one sitting. One is enough for one night. Overall, impressed, especially since this is my first Stone brew to try, looking forward to cracking open that Arrogant Bastard this weekend.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

I'd been looking forward to trying this beer for some time and was not disappointed. From the attractive painted bottle pours a nice semi-transparent light orange colored beer. A fairly thick (1 finger) foamy head tops off the beer and leaves some lacing on the glass throughout consumption. A fairly strong and pleasant aroma of hops is present and makes itself known during the pour. A very nice hoppy, fruity (citrus) taste, slightly milder than expected from the aroma, greets the mouth. Very smooth with a bit of an oily feel in the mouth. Overall this is a very good beer and certainly one I look forward to having again.

4.24/5  rDev +0.7%

Had this at a bbq so could not tell appearance through brown bottle.
Pleasant hoppiness, hint of pine in the aroma.
The flavor is crisp, hoppy fresh and the word bright comes to mind.
Not too sweet. A bright bitterness. This is a good thing. Overall a fantastic IPA. The full hop flavor is right on but does not deaden the tastebuds. Likely to wake your mouth right up. I would like to try this on tap.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Had this on tap at Redbones after I had a Summer IPA. Poured a cloudy tan-orange color with minimal head that left a perfect lace. Hoppy, citrus sweet smell that was very inviting. The first thing that I noticed about this beer was it's balance. Sweet, malt, hops and citrus were all perfectly blended. Each flavor came to the front when it needed to. Extremely drinkable as I could have had many more. A great beer from Stone.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

A crisp hop bitterness with top notch malt gives this IPA an excellent finish. When I'm at the Stone tasting room, this is always the best staple brew going, although everything is excellent. This is the benchmark for a good, hoppy and robust California IPA.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pint glass

Pours a nice orange amber. Cloudy with a nice white head to start. Head disappears quickly. Pretty good lacing. It was hard to get the scents going. At first whiff it was very bland. The smell is hoppy and fruity with some pine and weak malts in the back ground.

Many flavors going on here. Very nicely done. A great hop bitterness. Fruit esters dominate this IPA. There is some bread and a slight malt interference for the background which give this IPA a nice smooth finish. Pine is also a heavy flavor and it gives this IPA a nice crispness.

The mouthfeel is very crisp and dry. This IPA goes down well with food, on a hot day or anytime you think it is drinking time. This IPA has great flavors and great drinkability. Very well done.

3.85/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

If you are a hophead this beer is for you - I'm not a hophead. With that out of the way:
The color was deep amber. Very clear and high level of carbonation. The off-white head persisted throughout the pint. The aroma was pine, pine, and more pine. It's gotta be the chinooks! The flavor is the same as the aroma - resiny pine. It left a bitter taste on my tongue that reminded me of the old Foghorn Leghorn cartoons where he painted the dogs tongue with green paint. Way too bitter for me but then again most of Stones brews are. I', glad I only bought one.

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

pours a wonderfull deep amber yellow with a nice little white head. smells like hops (duh) and more hops. piney and mouthwatering. and wow it tastes like hopes too. im still getting into the whole big ipa brews, but to me this has alot of "oomph" in the hop area. floral and piney with a dash of malt character. the mouthfeel is smooth and goes down nicely and makes for a delightful drinking experiance. this stuff is way good, but after a couple, its time for me to move on.

$2.99 a bomber.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Re-reviewed from first review dated 07-28-03. Previous marks were 4.0/3.0/2.5/4.0/3.0 respectively.
Okay, I feel the conversion is now complete. I've just polished off one of what is now a staple in my fridge and feel this brew rates a re-review. Stone's IPA has a certain malty sweetness in the nose and also across the palate and this makes for a wonderfully citrus rind-drenched delight. Some pine flavor but now not as much as picked up initially - more hearty grapefruit peel with some floral notes. When all is said and done, the hops are laid down liberally on the tongue, slathering it, yet making the taste buds clamor for more. What can I say; I'm hooked.

07-28-03 review:
Appearance: from a 12oz brown bottle, this IPA poured a clear dark golden color. Nice creamy head and lots of streams of bubbles. Good lacing also.
Smell: citrus and pine woods aroma dominate. Strong indicator of things to come.
Taste: faint malt flavor immmediately overpowered by citrus and pine tastes. Totally unbalanced in favor of hops, the bitter taste builds through to the finish and leaves a strong piney bitterness on the tongue.
Feel: medium-bodied, smooth, dry feel.
Drinkability: I tried to be as objective as I could with this and it does have its merits. However, the over-the-top hopiness just doesn't work for me. I was still tasting it two hours later so I didn't need to drink another. I'm at a stage where I like a more balanced beer so I don't plan on getting this one again anytime soon. If you're into hops, though, this beer's for you.

4.78/5  rDev +13.5%

Wow. Honey colored, thick creamy white, effervescent bubbling. Smell? Wow. Sweet malt hidden beneath a comfortable thick blanket of hops. The taste is malty with a nice heavy hop finish. Mouthfeel is sweet but not cloying, and pleasantly hoppy without being bitter. Very drinkable, very enjoyable.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

I tried one of these this weekend after a long day out in the hot Texas sun fishing. Maybe I should wait until the next time I try one to give a review since any beer would taste good after several hours baking on a lake in Texas in July. Having said that I must say that from the fist sip to the last gulp this beer was wonderful.

The first sip was very hoppy, bitter but refreshing. After a couple more swallows I could detect some malty sweetness and the bitter had subsided to a wonderful warm feel.

The mouthfeel was nice with the tingles of carbonation and the tounge awakening hops. By the time I got to the last third of the bottle I had nothing but enjoyment from the carbonated lively mouthfeel and the malty sweetness off set nicely by the familiar crisp hops of an IPA. Good Beer!!

4.12/5  rDev -2.1%

What I have found with Stone is that they are very un-even on tap, at least where I am most likely to drink them in Massachusetts.

Sometimes they are malty, sometimes hoppy, sometimes a good balance.

Anyway, this had a nice orangey color, and the aroma was nice and hoppy, very pleasant and fresh.

There was some sweet malt undertone, but basically this was all hops. It was a bit bitter at the start, but as it warmed up became very pleasant. Very nice carbonation added to the mouthfeel.

Got a good one this evening. Always a brewery to check out and see what the beers are up to.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber while watching July 4 fireworks. I saved this one for a special occasion and it was worth it. What can I say that hasn't already been perfectly described.
Hazy deep rusty amber color. Dense thick white head, full of hop bubbles so soft, it would be the perfect resting place for a butterfly with sore feet. Aromas of thick citrus, fresh whole hops, and smooth toasted malt. Taste is the perfection of the style, IMO. Striking hop bitterness, the corner of the inside of my mouth cringe, then bitterness lingers on the tongue. Riding along the whole time is a super mellow toasted malt backbone. Full bodied, flavors never waver. Medium bodied and holds together to the end. The perfect beer to match with any grilled food, IMO. Hop bitterness cuts through everything, leaves a dry snap finish, and your tastebuds aching for more.
Brought this one back from a tiny gourmet grocery store, just down the street from the T-line in Cambridge, MA. The only beer they stocked was Stone and Concord Raspcallion. Does Todd do the ordering for this place ?

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%

22 oz bomber
Damn near perfect. I will never deny my love for hops and Stone has plenty of them! Reverse cascaded into a hazy golden much like a midsummer sunset with bubbly white head and plenty of tiny bubble lace. The smell was tart and bursting with Chinook hops, honey and a faint toasted malt. But the smell was dominated by hops. The taste was the same. Huge waves of grapefruit hop bitterness rolled on the shores of my mouth leaving my taste buds in utter shock there was very little aftertaste as the nectar flowed dwn my gullet. The mouthfeel was thinly carbonated and syrupy, more to my likeing. This stands as one of the better IPAs I have had, and that is not just because this is Stone, but because it is damn near the definition of a west coast IPA.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

22oz. bomber poured into a pint glass. It pours a clear orange-amber color with 2 fingers of head. There is a little bit of lacing left on the glass. The smell is rich floral hops, maybe chinook, with some citrus. The taste is very well balanced, with sweet malt up against fruity hops. The hops are not overwhelming at all. The mouthfeel is fairly nice, just a little carbonated. The drinkability is extremely good. This must be Ruination's little brother.

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%

An outstanding American IPA. Lots of hop flavor and good bitterness. Stone doesn't use the Cascade hops like many American IPA's use. Not sure what they use but it gives it a unique taste. If you are a hophead you will love this beer. Also available in bottles but draft is outstanding. Strong but not overdone.

IPA from Stone Brewing