Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 2,970 | Ratings: 10,744
4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

Light orange in colour with medium carbonation. Strong aromatic notes of orange, grapefruit, and tangerine, mix with a bit of pine and some light caramel. There’s a definitely a green hop flavor that mixes well with the slightly bready malts. Solid bitterness, but the overall impression of the mouthfeel is rather soft and balanced. For all of their chest thumping and posturing about over the top hops, this is a VERY well balanced IPA.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

12 oz bottle, damn glad this comes in sixers.

An IPA that's great ice cold or warmed up to let the bold flavors shine. Absolutely a classic, and would compete with Alpha King for IPA fridge-space if I could purchase this one locally. My only regret is that I don't have a case or two of this left for this summer.

4.07/5  rDev -3.8%

A: Body is clean clover honey colored with peach juice highlites. Creamy white head has fallen to a wispy web across the top of the beer.

S: Colorful bouquet of hops play well against a sweet malty background and a mellow strawberry backdrop.

T: Starts off with earthy grass essence then blends to minor citrusy flavors. Finishes with pine tar bitterness and gentle strawberry whispers.

M: Solid mouthfeel. Just enough crispness to be refreshing but a substantial mouthfeel to remind you this is a serious IPA.

D: A solid, well crafted beer...not that I need to tell any one of you.

4.95/5  rDev +17%

Bought a case awhile ago and I finally have gotten around to reviewing it. I have drank at least one of these each day since I bought the case and I have to say that they all have bottled pretty well. The beer pours a rich amber color with a small head. Aroma is hoppy and quite citrusy. The taste begins with citrus fruits, with orange peel and grapefruit being the most prevalent. The aftertaste is clean with a nice hop bitterness, but not too bitter to be a bother. The mouthfeel is smooth with med carbonation. The drinkabiliy is high, I have had two or three at a time without losing the subtleness or balance of the beer. Perhaps the best offering from Stone to date. I would recommend this to anyone.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

This bomber courtesy of Zorro.

Pours a slightly cloudy gold with an inch of white head. Lacing flows down the glass. Smells like a hop lovers dream. Citrus and pine with some bready malt in the distance. The taste is as good as the smell. Hop oils coat the mouth and the fruit and pine come shining through. Bitter, dry finish. Delicious. I could keep drinking this all day...if I only had more.

4.15/5  rDev -1.9%

Stone IPA poured from a 22 oz. brown bomber bottle and poured into a standard pint glass.

Stone's IPA poured a sharp golden copper with an inch of white, large bubbled head that stayed through half way down the glass and left large bubbled lacing around the top ring of the pour. Thousands of co2 bubbles slowly raced to the top of the glass; they just want to be free. They just want to be free. The nose is big, big citrussy hops. Stone's IPA was hoppy oily over my pallette with dry finish and nice, medium mouthfeel. Slightly unbalanced, this IPA is an ode to the hops, and I couldn't agree more. This is a solid west coast style IPA that sits up there with some of the best and remains readily available pretty widely around the country.

This one also gives great hop belches.

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%

Bomber purchased from Kraig's Kegs.

Light/golden amber body with thick frothy three finger head. Head fades unevenly into a rocky, enduring foam, which leaves a sticky lace on my glass. The head's exciting, but the golden hue to the body doesn't do justice to its complexity.

The smell is so divine! I feel like I'm sticking my head into a jar full of hop pellets. But it's not offensive since the caramelly malt aromas pass when I really get my nose down into my glass. There's an uncertain fruit representation there too.

The malt isn't as powerful as its smell. Not as sweet as I had expected, but leaves sugars on the back of my tongue. There's a faint nutmeg spice that tingles on my tongue when I let the beer settle in my mouth. Masking fruits mute the hop bitterness toward the end, reminding me of a breakfast grapefruit covered in sugar. NOTE: Isn't as bitter as the bottle boasts.

Very oily mouthfeel. Carbonation's pretty strong--maybe the only thing I'd change because it numbs my pallate some.

I was more of a malt guy before I tried this and the Sothern Tier Unearthly. Now I'm psyched for summer and big bodied, hoppy IPAs. If you want to taste what dry hopping contributes to a beer, try this. This beer shows why craft/micro brewers are engineers: it takes such knowledge of hops to pick the right combination for a taste so seamless.

4.02/5  rDev -5%

Poured this 12 oz. undated AIPA, straight from the fridge, into a Stone IPA pilsner/flute.

Achieved a 1" head that disapated to a lace ring rather quickly. Color was an opaque orangy brown that cleared as it warmed.

Aroma was citrus and bread. Cut pine wood and dried apricots. Nice, but not as hoppy as predicted.

Taste was juicy sweet citrus balanced by a crisp, dry, pleasantly bitter finish. Not as multidimensional as Bell's Two Hearted Ale, yet interesting and refreshing.

Mouthfeel was a bit oily with low carbonation. Nothing extraordinary.

Very drinkable despite the higher 6.9% ABV.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Its about time I reviewed Stone IPA, I've had this so many times I can't even count. Well anyway, here we go. Poured from 12 oz bottle.

Appearance: Pours a dark gold, almost the color of hay Fairly clear with a nice, densely packed head. Ample lacing is left on the glass as I drink.

Smell: Hints of citrusy hops waft out of the glass, also fruity and herbal scents make an appearance. The fruitiness coming from an almost apricot like scent.

Taste: Those citrusy hops dominate the beginning, a slightly sweet, fruity middle transitions to a big citrusy, piny hop finish that is linges long on the tongue. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: Perfect carbonation with a medium mouthfeel. Not slick or oily.

Drinkability: Stone IPA is highly drinkable. An outstanding IPA that is worth seeking out. Nice and hoppy but it doesn't hit you over the head with them. Alcohol is well hidden in the flavor profile, and I could definitely throw a bunch of these back, but the 6.9 % abv will suddenly make itself know. A fantastic beer that is always welcome in my DBF. Stone IPA is another reason why Stone is considered one of the best craft brewers in America.

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%

Bottle to a pint glass
A: Pours a hazy, golden yellow with a shining white head. Beer is hazy and difficult to see through.
S: Hops (obviously). Piney and earthy hops.
T: Pretty standard tase for an AIPA. Piney hops up front with a sourdough malt backbone.
M: Very smooth and slick going down. You can feel the hop oils on your tongue.
D: I'm a little underwhelmed with this, maybe I was just over-hyping it. Definetly would go for another IPA first, but this is still pretty good.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

A solid brew that is an absolute standby. I am fortunate enough to be able to get this straight from the brewery quite often, but even when I am away from Southern California, I frequently find myself grabbing sixers of this. It's available at many supermarkets, fortunately, and this always does in a pinch. However, this is a beer that earned its stripes before heading to larger markets, and as such is worth a try whether you can get it everywhere or nowhere. Poured into my goblet, it glows a wonderful golden brown, with a nice creamy head. Scent is immediately citrus, very clean and very refreshing. The taste further refreshes, nothing is overwhelming, everything is perfectly balanced. This isn't a huge hop bomb, but it makes for a near perfect IPA. If you're looking for hops, head for Ruination, which we shouldn't forget started life as an IPA.

A delicious brew, I plan to quaff many of these this summer.

12oz bottle poured into a Saratoga Brewpub pint glass. Minimal whitish lacing atop a cloudy, copper body.

To the nose, it's all about pine, fruit and malts. Very pungent, but not one jumps out at you. A harbinger of things to come.

In the mouth, the smells are verified in layer after layer of floralness, juicy fruits and butterscotch sweetness. The melding of the sweet malts and the hops almost result in a beer with no taste character.

The feel is full and substantial for an IPA. It covers your tongue and is perfectly carbonated. It finishes grassy and organic. Very fresh mown and green.

Musings: Obviously a highly drinkable IPA. The tastes are so well contrived that the result is close to being pedestrian. No over the top flavors here. What there is a high alcohol quencher that will easily get you in trouble.

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured dark straw golden yellow with a 1" head that melts ever so slowly to thick wonderful lacing.
Aroma instantly of citrus hops.
Taste is an incredible balance of malt and fresh, FRESH hops....ending in hop bitterness...slight grapefruit bitterness.
Mouthfeel is warm and thick for this style.
This may be 7% but it is highly quenching and very sessionable.
I hate to keep rating Stone brews so high, but DAMN they are consistently good...VERY good.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: Pours an amazing golden color, clear and bubbly. Two fingers of head cling lightly to the sides of the glass. The head persists for quite a while.

Smell: Hoppy and spicy. Grass and summer days mix with the flowery hop smell to give the perfect IPA smell.

Taste: Less sharp than expected by the smell. Subdued yet sweet hop taste leave a slight bitterness on the back of the tongue. There is very little alcohol or malt flavoring present. Acids linger and the beer tastes more bitter in aftertaste than while drinking. This beer screams "craft IPA."

Mouthfeel: somewhat watery, fizzy. The after feel leaves you a bit dry due to the high hop acidity. Very typical for the style, well handled.

Drinkability: I could drink a few of these, but it's no session beer.

4.26/5  rDev +0.7%

Stone IPA pours a golden-orange color with a rocky white head. The head holds for a good while and leaves moderate lacing. It is a little hazy and looks almost viscous. The smell is great! Nice floral aroma with lots of obvious hops. It smells slightly fruity and again, hop-tastic. Yeah, I said it! What?

Well, it tastes hoppy. Hoppy goodness galore. It is nicely bitter, incredibly smooth and very crisp. There is a hint of grain and sourdough bread with a light sweetness. It finishes with just a minute bit of lemon. It is a strong beer but has lots to like in the experience.

I wasn’t expecting to like this beer going into it but I was swayed by another great beer from a great brewery. This beer is incredibly hoppy. If you don’t dig on the hops, stay away. If you do, check it out. It is fantastic. Damn those cool bottles. I would probably buy cat pee if it was bottled by Stone in one of those awesome bottles! Hmmm...

4.34/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured a slightly chilled hazy golden orange with a thick white 1" head. Nice lacing.

Gloriously balanced sweet & tart scents of pale malts and lots of fresh hops. FRESH amarillo (?) & cascade (?) hops floating above a bed of sweet fresh whipped cream and vanilla. Probably the best smelling IPA for me to date.

The flavors of the hops are well developed and extremely fresh, lingering and tingling my gums way past the finish. The sweet malty flavors are a bit more in the background, different than what I expected from the smell. Citrus flavors and melon rind are prevalent with a juicy finish.

Mouthfeel is great. Fine carbonation that dissipates pretty quickly making this a highly drinkable ale. Medium bodied with a long flavorful finish.

Thanks to mattcrill for this gem. Wish I could get Stone in Michigan. I would definitely like to put a sixer of this in my fridge, alongside Two Hearted (it's that good). Bravo to Stone!

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

Pablo Piccaso would have trouble crafting a masterpiece such as this. The stiff white cream head finishes off this brew as you'd imagine a master chef with a perfect garnish would. Nose is massive pine, followed by a mix of grapefruit and caramel. I have to be honest, the smell is as devine as any beer lover could hope. Taste is a tour of hops ...pine, graprefruit, lemon, peach and finally caramel. This is probably the perfect IPA. Mouthfeel is suitably creamy and drinkablility is near perfect. A rugged yet sessionable beer that everyone with any sense will respect. Thank you Stone!

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

This one poured out a transparent orange-caramel color with a thin (1/4") head that quickly dissolved.

The scent was a mixture of fruity sweetness with a slight minty/piney layer.

The first sip burned slightly going in, but went down smoothly and crisply with gentle carbonation. Further sips proved easy on the palate.

The taste was easy on the palate; hoppy but not overwhelmingly so, and bitter without coating the mouth and leaving a lingering, uncomfortable aftertaste like some similar beers do. The flavor was a mix of hops and grapefruit (very subtle on the grapefruit--I hate grapefruits but I liked this).

This is not what I would consider to be a significantly complex beer; rather, just a nice, simple, hoppy flavor, well-balanced and smooth.

When I originally wrote this review I wrote "I'm still on the lookout for an IPA with more prevalent flavors to compliment the hops. In the meantime, relative to the handful of other IPA's I've tried, this one is king."

I've since tried several other IPA's with this in mind, and I've found that several of them do integrate other flavors, including caramel in one case and pear in another. I also drank about half a dozen 22 oz. bottles of Stone IPA in the intervening time. I now realize that the pure piney hop flavor of Stone IPA is superior to these attempts to enhance the complexity. I'm still keeping an open mind, but Stone continues to be the reigning champion of IPAs for me, and is probably the most drinkable beer for its strength of any that I've tried.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

22oz No date
Pours a clear golden color with a thick head of large white bubbles. Huge pine, yet sweet aroma. A touch of lemon citrus. Taste is more pine balanced with a sweet undertone of malt. Bitterness lingers long into the aftertaste. Sticky, resinous hops coat the mouth, but it is not astringent. This is what an IPA should be. Great craftsmanship in the design of this recipe. Infinitely drinkable.

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a semi-transparent orangish color with nice fluffy head that retains for what seens like forever. When it finally does calm a bit, it leaves evidence in the form of sticky lacing down the walls of the glass. Smells great. Grapefruit and pine hops up from followed by malty sweet goodness. Flavor is just as nice as the smell. Hops dominate, but this beer is exceptionally well balanced. Mouthfeel and drinkablity are both excellent. I would love to have another .. and I think I will.

I could easily give this beer fives across the board, and might update it later. Until then, I'm still searching for the perfect IPA, but I think I may have already found it. Great beer.

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

beer pours a nice light orange, very clear, nice white head that lasts a long time.

aroma is totally dominated by American hops, smells very appealing.

taste is also dominated by hops, although not nearly as citrusy as many American IPAs, there is a nice malt element as well. overall a very delicious IPA

mouthfeel is medium viscosity, very nice.

Drinkability is pretty good although one or two is enough for me.

overall, one of my favorite IPA's very very nice, if i had access to this in Michigan i would buy it regularly.

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

Deep orange in color with an nice white head that eventually just leaves a film. Medium carbonation. As expected, good aroma of pine, citrus, and resin. Quite a bit less than the Ruination. Overall, this is a good IPA, but not as good an IPA as Ruination is a DIPA.

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a clear dark amber with a big rocky white head that leave fantastic lacing on the glass. Aroma is powerful citrus hops. Taste - wow this is some intense citrusy hop flavor! There is some great sweet malt backbone here too but I wouldn't exactly call it balanced but it's an IPA after all and it doesn't have to be balanced to be delicious - which it is. The mouthfeel is medium to heavy and creamy, nicely carbonated. This is a great beer and is quite drinkable despite it hugeness.

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours light amber with a big white head that fades to a light cover. Nice lacing. Aroma is pine and grapefruit, with some malt underneath. The flavor is good on the citrus and pine with a nice caramel malt backbone. Good balance and very easy drinking. Not quite up to the level of the top IPAs however.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Stone IPA

Appearance- light mahogany brown with a touch of orange and a huge white head. Decent lacing throughout.
Smell- sweet candy malt with a nice touch of grapefruit rind .
Taste- Sweet malt blended with a pine hop. Strong pine with a citrus taste slighty overpowered by the malt.
Mouthfeel- Sweet up front but a nice bitter dry pine flavor in the backend.

Overall- Another good IPA that I didn't fully appreciate in the past. I've since come around and can't get enough of these full bodied IPA's.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing