Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)
4.21/5
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale aleā€”and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

#956

Ratings: 11,069 |  Reviews: 3,042

3.62/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A- very cloudy light orange. 1 1/2 finger head, frothy. clings to glass.

S - citrus like hops, more bitter hops, pine?

T - unlike most IPAs (IMO), the bitterness in this one is not overwhelming, which def. scores it points. The grassy flavor in the middle, does not. The hint of pine helps out the grass. Somewhere in the middle of all that hops, there's a subtle sweetness that tastes a little like sweet orange juice.

M - thick and nice for an IPA. good level of carb.

O - I'm not a fan of IPAs, and this one did not convert me, but still good for the style.

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: It has a nice clear golden/orange color to it. It has a nice off-white head that dies down moderately slow and leaves very nice lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of resiny pine, citrusy hops, bready malts and caramel.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a some delicious pine resins, citrusy hops, some grapefruit and sweet bready/caramelly malts blancing it out.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with a very nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with great flavors and aromas. Solid IPA.

4.91/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

To me this beer is the benchmark for any good IPA. When I drink an IPA I always compare it to Stone because it is my favorite beer to drink. It's the beer that I always seem to come back to and always enjoy. It has a good ABV, but it is hidden well. The smell is fantastic and you can really smell the hops. The taste is very in your face like any IPA, but in a good way. The taste is very hoppy and with a hint of pine. This is a great beer and a staple for any craft beer drinker.

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Poured into some kind of bell-mouthed pilsner glass. A little bigger than the bottle required, but all I had handy. Color is very close to golden, and slightly hazy. The pour resulted in about an inch of head that disolved relatively quickly and left little to no lacing on the glass.

S - Not as noticable as some others, but it did have the characteristic west coast hops aromas that I really enjoy.

T - More malt forward than I remember my last glasses being, but not in bad way. I guess it just seemed far more balanced than I remember it being. The finish contained more of the hops taste that I was looking for.

M - Silky smooth and delicious. Very light carbonation.

O - Still one of my favorite, go-to IPAs. I'll advocate for Stone where ever I go.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing