Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale aleā€”and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Ratings: 11,035 |  Reviews: 3,037

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

3.7/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 22oz bottle into pint glass.
A: Pours a clear golden hue with a thin white head that quickly dissipates.
S: Citrus and pine hops... hint of sweet caramel malt.
T: Citrus, astringent herbal, and pine resin hop notes. Faint backbone of mild caramel malt. With warming, a note of honey emerges.
M: Light body. Faint sweetness is overpowered by strong hop elements (dry, bitter, astringent).
D: Good sessionability. Fairly straightforward and hop-strong. Would best be enjoyed with food.

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful, clean, smooth. What I imagine an IPA should be, though to be honest an IPA is not my first choice of beers. Maybe it's just the fact that I drank this beer after a short run, but damn this is a good drink.

ST - I enjoyed this beer straight from the bottle.

A - I can't really comment on this considering that I drank it straight from the bottle

S - Refreshingly dank...in a good way. If I was having this beer on 4/20 with eyes closed I might grab for the wrong intoxicant is what I'm saying. Very pleasant smell.

T - MMM. Well balanced. I don't have the ability to discern pine, citrus, grapefruit etc., but if I did they'd probably all be there.

M - Again, well balanced carbonation. Just enough to let you know it's there and not so much that it gets in the way of a smooth drinking experience.

Overall I wasn't sure what to expect, but I have a feeling it's one of the best representations of an IPA that I'll ever drink.

2.29/5  rDev -45.7%

It makes me feel like a pussy because Stone prides themselves on having aggressive tasting beers, but this one is not for me. It has no balance whatsoever. It seems like Stone purposefully made it unbalanced so that it would be as hoppy and bitter as possible.

Maybe I got a bad batch, or maybe everyone else is playing follow the leader with this one.

3.84/5  rDev -9%

poured from a 1 pint 6 oz bottle into into pint glass.
A- dark amber, hazy, some carbonation bubbles rising entire time. nice, off-white two finger head that slowly dissipated leaving partial lacing throughout.
S- earthy, pine smell dominates, but there are hints of grapefruit as well.
T- hops comes through in a wonderful bitterness that IPA's should have; it finishes with a lemon/honey note that I find interestingly complex.
M-The hops sits on the back of your tongue. It is not too heavy, but it is there as it should be.
O- Above average in my opinion- it has the bite and bitterness I want in an IPA, but it is not overbearing or hard to drink. This is a beer to be savored and enjoyed slowly.

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%