Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Ratings: 11,009 |  Reviews: 3,033

4.27/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into a Duvel Belgian Tulip glass

Appearance: A semi-aggressive pour produced a favorable 1/2" clingy off white head with lacing that stuck to the side of the glass with ease. A golden color with a hint of haze. Again, sticky lacing is apparent.

Smell: Citrus pine hops up front, followed by mildly sweet malt. A clean and refreshing aroma that entices the nose.

Taste: Malty sweetness, followed by a distinct and noticeable citrus pine. Tangerine and grapefruit mix is what I sense. Not an overly bitter finish but there is no mistaken your drinking an IPA. I really like this one a lot.

Mouthfeel: Lively carbonation is present for this moderate body beer. All of the flavors blend so well across the tongue. I'm left with sweet malt at the finish when I was expecting the normal IPA bitterness. I definitely prefer the Stone finish.

Overall: In my opinion, this is one mighty fine tasting IPA. Though my favorite IPA is still Dogfish Head 60 minute, this definitely comes in a close second. Another fine beer from Stone Brewing Co.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Pours a translucent apricot gold with one full finger of pure white head. The foam settles quickly, but the lacing is ridiculous. This beer looks great.

S: This beer smells super dank. It's huge pine, mild citrus, and even a touch of onion. I'm kind of blown away by how potent this beer is for a single IPA.

T: I am met with a touch of sweetness and a good amount of piney hops. It's watery and malty in the middle, but it comes back with a nice kick of hops.

M: Light bodied beer. Sweet... to big bitters and spice... to malt... to pine and dry.

O: This is a pretty incredible IPA. I can't believe it took me so long to try this beer. Call it East Coast bias, I suppose with staple like 60 and 90min. But I will drink this beer again, and recommend it to many a new beer drinker.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a modest, yet outstanding IPA. On draft at Silk City in Philadelphia PA.

This beer has a lot of the qualities typically found in DIPA's. Citrus notes and a slight bitter that reminds me of a tasty grapefruit.

I would definitely order this again, and was a perfect pair for my Spicey Asian Tuna Berger.

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

4.05/5  rDev -4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours dark gold, almost amber with a three finger white head. Left massive amounts of lacing.

S - Pineapple, mango, grapefruit, light toasted malt. Scents are a bit distant.

T - Quick shot of tropical mango and pineapple, slightly malty, and watery in the finish. Pretty on the fence about this one.

M - Medium creamy body with heavy carbonation.

O - Overall, I'm pretty sure that this was an old bottle. No flavors really jump at me. I've wanted this one for a long time and it's kind of a disappointment.

Photo of
4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

You had this beer. Write a review.

4.29/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

My first review...

Reviewing a new to me IPA from an old favorite brewery.

Appearance: Poured a nice clean 1" of head, very good lacing. Color is slightly darker than honey, mostly clear with a touch of sediment suspended.

Smell: I get mostly pine and citrus with slight floral and malt notes. Smells "West Coast IPA"

Taste: Excellent IPA very true to style, good bitterness up front, medium carbonation malts present but definitely only in a supporting role. Pine, resin and citrus flavors predominate, excellent clean and dry finish.

Mouth: Slightly thick, but very drinkable. Not too heavy.

Overall: Excellent IPA, likely to be the best option in many pubs for that style. I put it in my top 10 for this category.

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Attractive amber-gold color, good head and lacing.

Smell: Hops, citrus, pine.

Taste: Hops. Floral, pine, citrus, and then more hops. A touch of malt in the background.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, crisp, and incredibly bitter.

The Verdict: Meh. I love IPAs and I love hop bombs, but this is just too much of a bitter bomb for me. I picked it up hoping to change my mind about Stone and finally see what everyone loves about them, but thus far I’m still disappointed.

3.42/5  rDev -19%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a standard beer glass, cold. Solid head, about 1 finger size that disappears quickly. Strong malty aroma with citrusy hints. Color between bronze and golden, light-medium clarity.

Medium-bodied, with above-average carbonation. Initially sweet, and then very dry-bitter finish, not well balanced.

3.93/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle says enjoy by 02.26.13. Assuming Stone's 90-day shelf life, that means bottled around 28 November 2012. Strange that it's taken me this long to try this, one of the classics of the style.

Pours very clear bright orange amber (leaving the yeast in the bottle). One finger of white head, good retention and outstanding lacing. A thin curtain of bubbles pervades the glass.

Smell is really nice, a pungent but gentle piney hop aroma. Like sniffing a handful of pine needles, really, but it's backed with a twinge of acidic citrus. And there's a fullness that I really appreciate - this is no empty front-heavy IPA. The malts are surely second fiddle, but I know they're there by the solid base the hops are resting on.

Taste is pretty solid. Moderately bitter throughout, assertively but not aggressively so. Has a pronounced dryness, so that the flavor almost gets sucked out of my mouth. Lightly sweet, very grainy malt base.

Mouthfeel is enjoyable. Pleasantly dry, reminding me of a number of hoppy pale ales I've had recently. Starts out fuller, then gets progressively lighter as it dries out. Medium carbonation. At times unobtrusive, allowing the other characteristics to shine through, and at times quite enjoyable. Nice.

I like this, but for some reason it's feeling like less than the sum of its parts. Each element works, but they don't add to each other. I think I might like this much better on another day. As it is, I like it plenty well enough!

4.02/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A- Nice faded orange color that's translucent if you're using an average pint glass. About 1 finger of foam with lots of lacing left.

S- Smells of grapefruit and citrus are first and foremost, with some smells of bread and pine to finish it off.

T- Initial taste of hops and bitterness from the start that is composed of citrus, grapefruit, pines and some tangerines. The bitterness lingers but is not overwhelming, as the flavors end with a sweet bread taste.

M- Medium bodied with a small amount of carbonation. Seems sticky and thick.

O- As a young guy from the Midwest I was surprised at how enjoyable this IPA was for me. Definitely different from what we get around here. But different isn't necessarily bad. Really enjoyed this and can't wait to try more from Stone to see what they offer.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing