Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale aleā€”and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Ratings: 11,014 |  Reviews: 3,034

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a lager style glass

A- Pours with a light orange appearance having a very small, quickly dissipating head

S- Has a strong hops smell and is inviting. Actually made me salivate prior to tasting.

T- A hoppy somewhat bitter bite. A very crisp full bodied IPA

M- Refreshing, crisp and light mouthfeel.

O-Overall a tasty IPA that I would not shy away from.

3.25/5  rDev -23%

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

My first review...

Appearance: A nice amber color with a decent white head that dissipates after a few moments. Nearly a perfect looking beer.

Smell: A very lovely hoppy smell with some hints of citrus.

Taste: A nice bitterness and quite a strong hoppy taste are what you first notice. As you continue to drink the beer the flavor evolves and their are some fruity hints within the taste. While a good taste for an IPA it could be a bit overwhelming to some people.

Mouthfeel: A good amount of carbonation with a medium body, goes down crisp and smooth.

Overall: On the bottle Stone brags about making then IPA "deliciously hoppy." I would say the emphasis would be on the hoppy and they succeeded with this beer.

3.67/5  rDev -13%

I have one beer maxim: I'll never regret choosing Furious. Whether it's at a bar/restaurant, or in a liquor store, I am frequently faced with the dilemma we all face: a favorite -vs- something new. And while there's always something new to try, occasionally, you have to go to your go-to.

But then one day, you order your go-to, and someone else orders something you've never tried, and when you get a sip, you realize your go-to won't cut it anymore. Personally, I went from Summit EPA to SNPA to Two Hearted to Furious, where I've been stuck for about 6 years.

Well, Stone has been in the market for at least a year, and I have tried almost everything in their lineup. But somehow, plain old IPA has escaped my attention. And yet, I keep tripping over the notion (mostly in the BA forums, mind you) that Stone IPA is not to be taken lightly, that this, not one of the Bastards, is their flagship beer. That this may be the beer that causes me to think, as I take my next sip of Furious, that I ordered the wrong beer.

OK - the bar is set impossibly high. Let's go.

Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a Surly pint glass. It's a clear, golden liquid that produces a 3" foamy head. It looks sticky, judging from the lacing as I swirl it. Nothing to write home about here, but if we're being honest, appearance is the least important factor in enjoying an IPA. How does it smell?

In a word, not bad. Yeah, that's a couple of words, but come on. This is supposed to to be a transcendent beer. I'm fairly certain that I am required to pronounce the quality of my beergasm by the end of this review. It's malty. It's hoppy. It actually smells bitter, if that's possible, It also smells vegetal. And I'm not getting much fruit to speak of. No citrus, nothing tropical. Man, this isn't looking good. But how does it taste?

Maybe a little better than it smells. That stickiness was not an illusion. The malt is strong in this one, and that means there's enough sweetness to deal with the bitterness. Well, there's enough to start, anyway. This is one bitter IPA.

And one bitter IPA drinker. Is THIS the legendary West Coast IPA that is supposed to make me swear off all pretenders? Please. The presence of this beer wouldn't even make me regret ordering a Two Hearted. I. Don't. Get. It.

Drinkability: Not bad, same as overall.

EDIT: For some reason, I decided to drink my last bottle of Stone IPA straight from the bottle, which is something I practically never do. I'll be damned if I didn't enjoy this beer considerably more than in a glass. So I am taking the rare step (possibly my first) of adjusting my rating. Taste and overall bumped my 1/2 point.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

A-Crystal clear golden amber with a 1/2 inch off white head, lingering to fine white lacing

S-Intense citrusy american hop aroma, Grapefruit and tangerine

T-Citrusy hop flavor up front with smooth, slightly sweet maltiness, finishing dry and bitter, but quite balanced for an IPA

M-Medium bodied, medium carbonation, dry finish

O-Excellent American IPA. Reminiscent of Bell's Two hearted. Would enjoy comparing these side by side. Slightly different hop profile but very similar tasting grain bills.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%