Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale aleā€”and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Ratings: 11,013 |  Reviews: 3,034
4.59/5  rDev +8.8%

If you would like to know how this beer tastes, looks, or smells please feel free to read the 2500 reviews that came before mine. What I can say is that the only beers I keep in my fridge with the exception of some Hoegaarten (for my wife..she likes it with lemon) are APA's and IPA's. Me likey me ales pale and hoppy. I'm no expert but I've tried many of them and I know what I like and what I do not. And I like Stone IPA. For you IPA newbees don't be scared off by the 6.9% abv, it's pretty much unnoticeable.

I'm a huge proponent of putting APA's and IPA's in the freezer for about 15 minutes before drinking them. There is just a crispness with these type of beers that is accentuated by drinking them very very cold. However, by the end of the beer, when it warms up a bit you really know what you have. Lesser quality APA's and IPA's tend to lose that crispness as well as show their alcohol content once the beer warms. So if it still tastes good and not so boozy when it warms you have yourself a real winner. And that's what you have with Stone IPA. Super delicious when ice cold..still pretty darn good when piss warm...can't say that about many beers. If you haven't tried it and enjoy hoppy beers, get on it my good people, you'll be glad you did. Good thing about this one is that you can find it at almost any liquor store. Which, in my book certainly adds a notch or two to the rating.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

4.16/5  rDev -1.4%

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

The appearance is a deep golden with orange tinting. A slight bubbly off-white head. Nice lace patterns develop on the sides of the glass as I drink. Citris, lemon rind, grapefruit and slight pine on the nose.
This is a very balanced IPA. The hops do not overwhelm, but rather, they are firm in their presence. The hop-attributed tastes are lemon rind, citrus and pine. There's some nice bitterness, but not overwhelming. Very quaffable IPA.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing