Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 2,989 | Ratings: 10,818
4.52/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle dated brewed on 7/10/15 and enjoy by 10/08/15. So I'm behind by about 3 months. That being said, it is a great beer and my town is missing out having a six pack just chilling for that long in the big HEB.

Pours a brightish, golden malty color, with great lacing. Leaves foam rings the whole way through. Has a clean, malty hop smell, a bit astringent in a great way. Taste is very bright and hoppy, with a zesty citrus combined with pine to make a quite a resinous drink. Upon drinking, I immediately realized that I was not dealing with an average beer -- this is one to which you can hold other beers as a standard. Truly sessionable, great beer even when its apparently out of date.

I have had nothing but great from Stone, the Ruination 2.0 is a bit better and more robust but this is quite a great beer as far as taste and feel goes. Also hides a bit more alcohol. This one is Definitely a winner if you're looking for a new gem to add to the long list of incredible American IPA's. Very chill beer.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look: The beer pours a dark orange body and has a generous one-finger white head. It recedes to a thin white layer with a few holes and a solid white crown. The beer's lacing is excellent and the marks on the glass stay for a very long time.

Smell: A lot of hops on the nose as well as citrus and grapefruit rinds. The nose is not floral; it is just strong enough to tempt you.

Taste: The malt profile is very subtle in favour of the hoppiness, which is not a bad thing as this is a Californian IPA. The beer's front end has a nice taste of citrus and grapefruit. Then it moves to notes of smoked pine woods. This suggest that Cascade hops were used in the brewing process. All in all, the bitterness was not too overwhelming.

Feel: The mouthfeel is medium-bodied because of the smoked taste. The finish is super clean and there is no remnants of beer on your tongue. Therefore, there is no after taste. Speaking about the alcoholic warmth in your throat, it is almost lukewarm.

Overall: Although this beer's bitterness is almost at the end of the IBU spectrum for IPAs, it is very well balanced by the smoked taste of Cascade hops and other hops I could not recognize. Moreover, I love how this IPA does not downplay its Californian identity unlike Lagunitas IPA, which tasted too much like an IPA from the East Coast. I would gladly drink Stone IPA again!

4.41/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

First taste tonight, as part of a make your own 6 pack. Been wanting to try this, and glad I did. Hoppy but smooth, aggressive but very drinkable. Explodes at the back of the tongue, then follows with a bitter, satisfying aftertaste. Super clean with absolutely zero off-flavors. Be careful.. This one packs a punch. I'm usually a 4 beer per night guy, but tonight I stopped at 3. Will be buying this one again. (Update as of 2/23/16: have definitely bought again..and again... etc.)

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very solid IPA. Fantastic balance yet gives you the best of both worlds with liberal hopping and a solid backbone and strength. Pine and tropical fruit notes blend with the slight caramel sweetness that lends this a hand. Looks and smells really appealing, with a generous white head.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co is a killer beer to say the least. This one is outstanding. I could drink this one all the time. Great aroma. Grapefruit, lemon and Piney hops with a dash of citrus. Great amber/copper color. The flavor matched the scent too the Tee. Very citrus forward (notable lemon) with nice piney after taste. Super carbonation and a nice foam head. If you are a hop head, give this one a shot. This beer is very drinkable.

4.41/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This might be the single best IPA I've had yet in my beer journey (okay, I haven't had many yet, but still). It was really everything you want in an IPA, intensely bitter but still smooth and drinkable. I sipped it almost nonstop and finished in record time, pausing only to marvel periodically at the swirls of foam, thick lacing, and beautiful copper color. Very prevalent hops but not overwhelming. Everyone should definitely try it, it's a classic of the style for a reason.

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 11/13/15..pretty fresh.
6.9% abv.... easy to drink, even sessionable.
The hops here are a little more towards the bittering end vs. aroma. Some juniper aftertaste.
A really good IPA.

4.16/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a hazy orange straw color with a thin white head that persisted and laced nicely. Has a fruity citrusy aroma with a piney overtone. The mouthfeel is medium and well carbonated with a typical IPA hoppy piney flavor. Finishes very nice with a pleasant building bitterness that's well balanced. I'd buy this again.

Very little malt but lots of pine from the chinook hops. There is a little citrusy fruit thing going on too but the pine is the dominent flavor. Overall a solid IPA but is pretty standard hop profile and taste for your run of the mill west coast IPA.

3.94/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured dark straw/copper with 1 finger fluffy white head into snifter. Great head retention and lacing. Scent is strong on citrus with some subtle piny notes. Flavor matched the scent exactly. Very citrus forward (notable lemon) with nice piny after taste.

3.42/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Clear amber-gold with a fluffy and thick off-white head leaving tons of lace in layers.

Smell is a little catty, dank lemon and grapefruit. As it warms, it becomes more pungent and piney, with cornbread, biscuit and rug.

Taste is really fruity and crisp lemon-lime, with toasted malt, a little pine wood, pretty bitter, finishing dry.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from bottle into glass mug. I don't know why I waited so long to try this one, I guess there are so many out there. It has a nice copper/amber colour and smells of mild hops with some citrus, very good because it was not overpowering. Taste is not overly hoppy, a perfect blend of hops, citrus, pine that is found in most west coast IPA's but done much better here. Goes down smooth. Prost!

4.51/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

At first sip I was a little worried that I might not like this one as much. But as I've gotten accustomed to the flavors and let the beer warm up a bit, I have come to really enjoy this beer. The smell is pretty dang hoppy in my opinion. I can smell the malt for sure, along with some earthy and citrus, floral hops. Now the taste is the best part. It's like the flavor just comes out of nowhere. The bitterness is there and delicious. You can taste hop resin, a little citrus, and again, the floral notes. The malt sweetness is definitely there as well. Mouthfeel is medium, carbonation is perfect. Overall, this beer is great and I will drink this resinous babe again.

4.84/5  rDev +14.4%

The best IPA that you get nearly everywhere. Ruined all other mass available IPAs - if the store or restaurant doesn't have it - I get wine. Always check freshness date to ensure you're getting the best product.
L: Somewhere between quality honey and new copper with thin foamy head that persists for some time
S: Floral though a little boozy smelling
T: Words elude me to describe accurately - though having an ABV of 6.9 - you don't taste it. Citrus notes. Wonderful gulpability - if you don't like to sip. There's a faint residual bitterness but much less so than other West Coast style IPAs.
F: Slight residual stickiness that enhances taste. Satisfying and delightful feel going down throat and in gut.

4.31/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this on tap at Craft & Draft in Amsterdam.
A great beer, light bodied and heavy on the tropical fruit - pineapple and mango - plus a bit of grapefruit, on top of a bitter and refreshing body. The alcohol is quite well hidden.

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

With a 94 on the BA score, a 99 on the Bros score, and numerous personal recommendations, I'm coming into this review with extremely high expectations.

A: First let me say how much I like the packaging: the black and green color scheme, the expertly done drawing of the gargoyle, the way the label seems to be ingrained on the bottle through some manner of witchcraft.

Thin, foamy white head upon pouring. Drank out of an off-brand clear plastic cup because I've got no class at all. A layer of foam stays for minutes on the surface of the drink and around the edges of the cup, while carbonation visibly bubbles in a continuous and slow-moving manner towards the top. When held up to the light, the color could be most closely compared to honey (when the honey's in a bottle, not when it's being poured).

S: I smelled right after opening and was bulled over for just a split second. I'm still refining my beer nose, I'd characterize the smell as hardy, as being full-bodied yet having a lofty component. Nothing unusual per se, but a strong, reliable, yet distant sort of effect that I found myself smelling over and over again as I tried to pin it down.

T/M/O: This one's a straight shooter, definitely right-handed. What makes this beer great isn't some unexpected burst of flavor or unusual ingredient; it's the overall quality, the competence of the execution; it's the graceful balance between substance and drinkability. This beer rides like a dream. I'm going to sound like a broken record, but it strikes a tasteful balance between being light and pleasant, while also being bitter and complex enough that I want to keep sipping on it over and over again.

This beer did meet the high bar I had set for it before sampling it, though not in the way that I'd expected. This is the beer that I will judge other IPA's against; it is the standard for a well-made, high quality IPA without frills or gimmicks. I'm excited to compare some of the more adventurous takes on the IPA formula, my previous favorites (Great Lakes' "Burning River," Jackie-O's "Mystic Mama"), to this classic.

Addendum I:
As someone who's always preferred things that were a little different, I don't think this could ever be my personal favorite beer. Stone IPA is like the girl your parents want you to marry: comforting and substantial, but nothing exotic or challenging, nothing to get excited or passionate about. I find myself wanting something a little bitterer (is that a word?), though I know that I'm an IBU fiend.

Addendum II:
I've been sipping from bottle number two for a while now, and I keep coming back and lowering the score by intervals of .25. In the future, I think I'll try to rate beers blind, without any knowledge of the BA score, because I feel like knowing the BA score beforehand clouds my judgment.

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Very good IPA. Had this from tap at BJ's. Had about a 1/2" thick white head and a copper color. Hoppy taste from start to finish and a nice medium thick body. I'll try again.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Awesome beer. Just fantastic. With so many junk IPAs out there - this sets the standard of what an India Pale Ale shoud be. Tons of flavor and the bite is just right.

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

One of my go to beers. Pours a very nice copper color with a medium white head. Smells like a west coast IPA should. Very hop forward with citrus, grapefruit, and pine. Taste is citrus/grapefruit and finishes with the hop resins. Medium carbonation helps balance the hops. Mouthfeel is good and surprisingly drinkable. I'll always have a soft spot for Stone IPA.

4.9/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I am at a loss to think of how you improve on this IPA. Delicious, balanced, spicy. The Bros. got this one right. To those that are rating it low because you don't like IPAs, Get off my lawn! This is an excellent IPA with 6.9 ABV, but it doesn't taste like raw alcohol. I'll have another!

3.04/5  rDev -28.1%

Bleh, IPA's just do not hit the buds right for me.
I will drink it, as I rarely toss a beverage.
I will not have another, luckily this one was a gift.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

as close to perfection as i can perceive (in this class). are there better beers? well always. however, this is a jewel. balance is an understatement, it's everything coming together. the look, nose and taste are like mortise and tenon. oh yeah, a citrus bitter that doesn't pucker, as clean a finish as a tight super model's skin. obviously words destroy this experience. a smidgen pricey (near 11 bucks in my area), but how can you argue, when this drink is such a fine work.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours clear gold with a dense creamy white foam head. Smells of sweet lemon, orange and grapefruit citrus, some malt, tropical fruit, with dank resinous grassy pine. Tastes like grapefruit, orange citrus, some sweet tropical fruit notes, with mild malty cracker and dank resinous grassy pine. Well balanced and boasting with flavor. It has a good amount of bitterness with a nice malt backbone. Feels medium bodied, smooth with moderate low carbonation. This is a great IPA. Citrusy and almost sweet with a good amount of bitter hops to balance. Overall a really great IPA.

4.19/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Passed by this well known and well regarded IPA for a couple of years now. What was I thinking?!?

One reason I love stone? They give you a brewed on and best by date and it is only 3 months apart! They really want you to drink it fresh, which I so appreciate them giving us that information (unfortunately many still don't)

L-Clear amber, off-white head, and nice sticky lacing.
S- a little muted, but with a little swirl in the tulip I get some really nice pine, citrus, spicy hops and a bit of sweetness from the malt.
T- follows nose but more intense. Big pungent pine, lemon, grapefruit and orange peel. Great amount of bitterness up front which lingers into a slight sweetness. The slightest bit of alcohol burn as it warms but nothing that detracts.
F- Good carbonation that allows it to be big and slightly sticky but also crisp and refreshing. It rides that line well for me although it has a higher ABV.
O- Wow, this holds up remarkably well in the almost 20 years it has been brewed (not sure how much they have tweaked the recipe, if at all). I can't imagine how much this blew away the taste buds of beer nerds when it first came out. A good standard barer for the piney, citrus west coast variety of the style. Really like it.

3.62/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L: Beautiful hazy orange, with a couple fingers of very light tan head. A good amount of visible carbonation can be seen rising up the beer.

S: Not a very strong smell, I am not detecting much, perhaps a vague piney hop aroma.

T: Floral and herbal hops immediately come to mind as I take my first sip. Perhaps some hints of fruit (grape?) as well. Overall, a decent taste, but nothing too complex or fantastic.

F: Carbonation is moderate light. Body is medium.

O: Overall a decent IPA, but there are many that I would prefer to this.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing