IPA | Stone Brewing

Stone Brewing

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Ratings: 11,175 |  Reviews: 3,061

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

I drank this straight from the bottle but from my observation it looks amber-golden with a little bit of head.

The smell is fresh and hoppy. The hops bite through my nose even!

This beer is deliciously complex. It starts off with a good blast of hops, then mellows into a still hoppy, yet smooth, crisp flavor with an extremely clean finish. It's a little resiny, as some IPAs are, but it's not overwhelming. Overall, a crisp, clean balanced taste.

The mouthfeel is smooth and palatable. Not too heavy.

I'm not a big IPA girl (working on in though), but this one really impressed me. I don't like when the hops overwhelm the flavor and never balance out, but this beer does that. The complexity and smooth, clean finish really made it enjoyable.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

[Poured into generic tulip glass]

I: I am no stranger to Stone's ipa, but I give my official review today. I wasn't planning on this review, but I had a taste for it when I went by the store, and saw a six pack(my inner hop head crying out).

B: [6.9%(basically 7) ABV, 12 FL. OZ. Bottled. cant make out the date] As you expect, this has stones classic logo, summary, and ingredients("Nothing but Barley, Hops, Water & Yeast"). Nice overall, but not as grabbing as their newer iterations.

A: Orange transparent body with a fully/slight scatter head (moderate dissipation), and decent lacing.

S: Typical smell of a standard west coast ipa. Sweet citrus(grapefruit/lemon) malt and spicy hops.

T: Taste like many west coast ipas, but does stand out with slick citrus malt really coats/runs down your lower tongue. Lingering spicy hops complements the malt.

M: Slick/slight dry/crisp finish, medium bodied, medium carbonation(that feels perfect btw), and a decent presence of alcohol.

O: Stones ipa is between a sweet ipa like alesmith and racer five and a more bold like wipe out. I think this is a damn fine beer, with a great malt backbone. With all of that said... Stones ipa doesn't shatter the earth, but that's not the point. It's an ipa and very good one at that. So yes, I defiantly recommend you pick some up.

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%

A slightly hazy golden brew, an off-white head leaving almost no lacing and small curtains

Smelling of pine resin, honey and grape-fruits.

Tasting toffee, pale bread, and then very quickly bitter oranges and grape-fruit peel.

Little carbonation, soft and a bit oily, a good body and dry finish.

This is a straight and honest AIPA, no fuzz.

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%

Stone IPA

This beer generally pours straight out of the bottle into my mouth.

The smell of Stone IPA is subtle, straight forward, cold, fresh and hoppy.

There are no chocolaty or flowery fruit flavors here, just full uninhibited beer taste with a double dose of biting hops and complimentary malt tones. There are mild hints of crisp apple to me.

A mouthful of this is perfectly balanced and refreshing; it is clean and satisfying with a complimenting aftertaste that leaves you wanting more. Every sip is consistently good.

This beer is my everyday beverage. I think it is the perfect brew.

IPA from Stone Brewing