Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale aleā€”and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 2,989 | Ratings: 10,819
4.84/5  rDev +14.4%

poured from a 12oz bottle into my favorite imperial pint glass.

Appearance: golden/amber in color with an inch thick sticky white head. strong lacing that lasted throughout the whole glass.

Smell: hops are all over this sucker. big hop stink (stink in a good way).

Taste: hops definitely take the cake in this brew but there is also a nice medium maltiness that balances the brew out nicely. crisp fruity hop flavor, a little piney on the front of the tongue and then a nice sturdy hop bitterness on the back end. this is it for me when it comes to ipas. as kramer would say, welcome to flavor country.

Mouthfeel: medium in body, very creamy and refreshing.

Drinkability: My favorite ipa, I could session this beer all night. 10 bucks a sixer (in mass) is worth it for me.

4.84/5  rDev +14.4%

The best IPA that you get nearly everywhere. Ruined all other mass available IPAs - if the store or restaurant doesn't have it - I get wine. Always check freshness date to ensure you're getting the best product.
L: Somewhere between quality honey and new copper with thin foamy head that persists for some time
S: Floral though a little boozy smelling
T: Words elude me to describe accurately - though having an ABV of 6.9 - you don't taste it. Citrus notes. Wonderful gulpability - if you don't like to sip. There's a faint residual bitterness but much less so than other West Coast style IPAs.
F: Slight residual stickiness that enhances taste. Satisfying and delightful feel going down throat and in gut.

4.84/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a pint glass. One of the many Stone brews no available in SC.

A. Beautiful light amber brew with a healthy 3 finger head that slowly dissipates.

S. Wow, this is where the beer starts to make itself known. Very aromatic floral hops, citrus hops and even a HINT of malt in the end.

T. Much as it smells, this has a strong, agressive hop presence. While the malt is there if you search for it, this is a hop bomb. The hop burps have been enjoyable as well.

M. Very clean finish. Moderate oily finish with strong carbonation.

D. Very drinkable. This would be a great beer with a very spicy meal. This will be a staple in my fridge!!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is everything an IPA should aspire to be. One of my favorite. Light yellow appearance and a crisp , ultra fresh taste. The price and lower abv makes it a perfect "everyday" IPA or the go to after a stronger beer.

Purchased at Trader Joe's, poured into a 4-inch snifter

Look--
Bright, yellow, transparent, clear; very few bubbles, not much lace, barely any head

Smell--
sweet, resinous

Taste--
The hops throws you a curveball but it doesn't strike you out! Hops are more present on the tongue after the beer is downed... an incredible floral taste unlike anything... so flavorful you just want to keep drinking to reaffirm the experience

Feel--
Carbonation unzips your tongue

Overall--
An exemplary beer! Will go out of my way to have it again.

4.84/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours light amber, almost golden color with this foamy head, around 2 finger width. Head retention and lacing are both great!! Great hoppy, citrus aroma. Excellent citrus malty taste to start, followed great piney, hoppy burst. Citrusy, acidic, bitter aftertaste at the end. This is definitely one of my favorites. A high end IPA for sure.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip wine glass. Nice creamy white head that disappeared quickly. Fantastic nose. Notes of citrus are perfect. Very subtle. Very blended and smooth. Lights up my tonque perfectly with small tight carbonation. Perfect level of carbonation. Taste is very sophisticated and smooth. Leaves a nice bitter finish and is not too strong, just right. Very awesome lacing with sticky bubbles "glued" to the side of the glass. No taste of alcohol, very well hidden in the hoppiness. The afterglass on this beer matches the original sip perfectly. How did they do this? This has been on my wish list for a while and I found it at a Whole Foods store. I really like this beer a lot! Will definitely be purchasing more.

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

1st of 6 half liter Stones. Rare for these parts. Thanks OstrungT.

A rich amber pour with nitrous like fine fomy persistant head and lace.
Aroma Pine - taking it outdoors to admire its beauty its aroma seemed more predominatly that of pears. Alcoholic aroma noticable. Other aromas similar to its taste.
Strong beading of "silent bubbles" -those microscopic enough to move through a capilary as easily as a red blood cell.

Taste starting clean and crisp with sweetness offset by easily roused CO2 in middle ending in warming sweet caramel and perfect hops.

AFTERTASTE! I can only describe as a happy bee returning to is hive and doing an excited "waggle dance" on my tongue shedding hop resin and oils as it completes its figure 8s.

Reaching the end of this bottle is like loosing an old friend.

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Serving was from a 12 oz. bottle well within date, and served in a pint glass.

A vigorous pour produces a beautiful 2 fingered creamy head, slightly off-white, which produces great sheets of sticky lacing all the way down the glass. The color is a deep gold, very deep, almost to the point of copper.

The nose is wonderfully hoppy, and I detect loads of piney and citrusy (orange peel) hops. The nose is HUGE.

At the top of the glass, you are first assaulted by the strong piney/citrusy hop character, which, to me, is what you should expect from a good IPA. Carbonation is right on, not too fine, or not too bold, but just right. Midway through the glass, as the beer warms, a gentle hint of bready maltiness makes itself apparent. It is, in my opinion, a wonderful balance. As you finish, the dry hoppiness prevails, but it is not objectionable, and the bready maltiness is still there. The finish is "picture perfect", with no lingering bad after taste, and a fresh dryness one expects from a good IPA. IPAs are one of my favorite styles, and this one might be the best IPA I've ever had (and that's saying something!) Drinkability is exceptional. I could drink these all night long, but would savor each and every sip. A truly wonderful IPA experience to be appreciated by all.

Cheers!

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

A - Pours a nice golden orange color with a huge frothy head and great lacing.

S - Huge hops notes that become apparent from the first moment I open the bottle. Citrus notes dominate with faint hints of pine and dank resin. A tiny bit of malts come through as well.

T - Nice big hoppy taste. A nice mix of citric, floral and dank tastes. A little sweet as well. This is what an IPA should taste like.

M - Medium bodied, great carbonation. A dry, hoppy finish. A touch of hoppy bitterness as well.

O - A great IPA, it shouldn't be a surprise that this is the type of beer that Stone is known for. If you want an aggressive IPA, drink this now!

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

Massive hops aroma assaults the senses after pouring this appealing amber brew. Puts other IPA's into another category.
The nose says all hops the taste says big, grainy, caramel malt underlying the big time Pacific Northwest hop profile. The hops are so flavorful, bitterness doesn't really come to mind. The citric, piney adjectives don't seem to capture all the different complexities available in this brew. Anyone who loves hops and thinks they've had it all should try this beer.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from the tap at our SD hotel the first night in town.

A- Lighting wasn't ideal in the room, but it had a very nice rocky head, and excellent lacing. My wife had a sierra nevada pale, and I was actually surprised that the SN was a little darker and redder than the Stone IPA, which I felt was on the lighter end of the AIPA spectrum, nice lacing.

S- out of sight. massive hop aroma, dry hopping to the extereme! wonderful complex hop notes, from whole hop, with a little citrus mixed in,

T- again, fantastic. Smacks you right away with a full bore bitter hop assault. A nice sweet grain malt background gives way to a bitter hop finsh of unusual complexity.

M- Spot on here, a little resin left on the teeth and tongue, and good carbonation to pull away some of the bitterness, but not too much of it.

O- Great IPA, a pillar of hoppiness.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

Tasted at the Pop the Cap Winter Warmer Event, 1/31 at Tyler's.

I take pretty fondly to Stone's brews--that much is apparent. But what should I expect from one of their lesser-hyped, not quite monster brews?

The answer, I found out, is pure excellence.

Stone IPA poured a bold golden color with orange hues and a thin, quickly disappearing white head. The powerful floral aroma is detectable from more than a foot away, as pure hops brilliance dances into my nostrils.

This is a gorgeous beer. It has the perfect balance of hop bitterness, floral hop sweetness, and overall crispness, as well as true depth in an IPA. With every sip, I discovered a new, brilliant element. Simply awesome.

Bar none, this is the best IPA I've ever had. Wow.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

This is my favorite IPA. I love this stuff. The appearance is a clear, light amber color. The smell is beautiful, those flowery hops coming through nicely. The taste...right on for an IPA. It leaves that trademark bitterness on the back of your tongue. The mouthfeel is crisp, clean, refreshing. I like mine nice and cold, a perfect summer brew. The alcohol content is masked nicely, and the drinkability is good. This beer was my first IPA, and I've loved it ever since.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

glorious 12 oz. presentation that's ultimately defined by its etching, in a standard format. once poured, an enviable copper consumes the glass topped off by two-finger head. retention is way above average w/ patterns of lacing marking their territory throughout the enjoyment. substantial effort was put into this offering.

hybrid of pine and citrus takes center stage. soft hints of floral spices linger in the background. this is the smell i often dreamed would result after a summer rainstorm. insane.

one of the most balanced tastes for IPAs to date. everything was measured w/ precision and it shows, better yet tastes, in this first-rate offering from stone. hops speak volumes as they should; the malt is sweet, not overbearing, yet the perfect compliment. balance is the operative term when summing up this IPA.

my mouth underwent a massage. the palate is pleased by an unparalleled texture, low carbonation and residual finish.

one of the best IPAs i have had and deserves any accolades bestowed present or future. hops aren't as complex as i would prefer, but i can't complain about a beer that defines balance and registers perfect enough to the taste, that it demands to be consumed all night long.

an elite IPA.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

Presentation: 22 oz. brown bottle with an "enjoy by" date printed on the neck. Served in a Samuel Adams pint glass.

Appearance: One finger head goes down eventually and stays there until the end. It has a clear, bright gold color, and leaves some very nice lacing.

Smell: The smell is fantastic, with a dominating herbal hop scent and some pine, fruit and spice notes present too.

Taste: This beer has a big hop character, overwhelmingly so. It's very herbal, spicy and bitter. You've gotta love hops to really appreciate the details and character in this. If you don't it'll be just another (albeit good) strong, bitter brew.

Moutfeel: It feels creamy, full bodied and smooth. It leaves a tingling sensation on the palate that's quite curious.

Overall: An amazing brew in every single aspect. If you love hops, IPA's or just something crisp, bitter and challenging, you'll love this beer. If you don't, you'll probably be put off by the intensity of it all.

12 oz. bottle.

A somewhat tentative pour gave me only a finger and a half head and only moderate lacing. Golden in color and slightly cloudy but transparent. On the 2nd pour I went for broke and had to pause for a minute till I could get the last 2 swallows into the glass. 3 1/2 finger head in my pint glass.

A blast of hops after popping the cap that's almost as good as sex. Wonderful piney herbal aroma. Every now and then, a whiff of faint popcorn or coffee.

Nice, light sweetness, but the hops predominate. Noticable citrus early on. Long-lasting bitterness in the end. Aftertaste 2.0 kicks in with every burp, bringing the herbal vapors of the hops back to the fore.

Moderate body. Very biting early on, but mellowing out the more you drink. Slightly sticky. Nice burn down the throat.

A great drinker, but I'm finding the 6.9% ABV is slowing me down a bit.

I had thought that AB was the first Stone brew I had tried, but after reading the notes on the label concerning the gargoyle, I realized it was this beer. My feel at the time was that it was an inpressive brew, but I wasn't sure that I really liked it all that much.

Having sampled a number of Stone brews since, I have now become an official hop-head, and can accept this as the truly great beer that it is. In fact, I revel in it.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

Great IPA much more drinkable then celebration ale. Golden in appearence nice head rentation when poured aggressivly. Very sticky. smell is very nice prototypical extreme IPA. Spicy hops, grapefruit, pinnapple, kind of a medicinal sent. Taste is spicy hops and fruit. Warms you up pretty good half way through consumption. recommended IPA and i would go as far as saying its just a little bit better then celebration due to its drinkablity.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured a clear bright amber color with lively carbonation. Thick fluffy white head with lots of sticky lacing.

Floral scent, as well as a variety of spices, and some fruit.

Herbs and spices were most notable at first, a little piney, some grains, and very hoppy.

Medium bodied, creamy feel with moderate carbonation.

This is an excellent beer all around, very complex and flavorful.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a light golden hue with a huge two fingered head that leaves sheets of lacing on my pint glass. A fantastic floral bouquet filled with scents of citrus fruit, sweet malt, and a second dose of grapefruit scent just to make sure you know the hops are in your face. It smells like I have fistfuls of hops cones. The taste is really impressive with the citrus, floral, sweet malt, and bold hop character playing off each other and never really dominating each other. The flavor profile just melts together on your palate and makes for a nice drinking experience. This beer is medium bodied with medium carbination. Alcohol is very well hidden and I didn't really ever notice it. This beer is highly drinkable and should be on the list to try for all hop lovers.

Well done Stone, and I award you with always having a sixer in my fridge of this tasty brew.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

Mmmmm....probably the best IPA I've ever run across. Everything about it makes me tingle. My girlfriend is laughing at me right now as I make full, sensual love to this beer with every one of my senses. The bottle is gorgeous. Standard brown bottle with a wonderful screen painted label. These men delight in their craft. So do I.

It pops with a little his, letting me know there's a little carbonation waiting for me. That little tease. Sweat drips down the bottle. I can hear it calling for me without it saying a word.

She tips over. She has a full body. Golden like sunflowers with a hint of dark mystery about her. She stands there waiting for me. A beautiful head on top a slick body. She's wearing nothing but a little lace around her stem. Shhh...you're making my girlfriend jealous.

She smells like everything I ever could have wanted. Strong citrus with a little floral scent on the way out. She smells sweet as an orange. I can't take the anticipation any longer. I seize her and bring her close to me. I take a little gasp before diving in.

She's a little bubbly. She tickles me ever so slightly. But over all...she smooth, real smooth. A buxom beauty to the end. She's got a great, full body that I can't get enough of. Sweet, hoppy. Thick and spicy. She's a party till the end. I can't take my lips off her.

We are talking about a beer here. So I don't feel dirty closing this with "down she goes."

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

By far my favorite of all time and I finally had a chance to have it on tap at the Flying Saucer, Addison, TX (for $2.50 no less). What's not to like?

The appearance is gold in a pint glass for more reasons than one. A deep golden-orange hue to be exact. Very tight, one finger head with great lacing throughout the glass.

Smell is perfect and everything I happen to look for in and IPA. Piney, flowers, citrus; it's all in there. So much so you can't wait to take a sip.

Tastes perfect as well. The nose really adds to the experience. At first, you think this is going to be a hop bomb with minimal malt character but not so fast. The malty sweetness follows shortly behind and lingers through the bitter-dry but sweet finish. So complex.

Mouthfeel is great for the first two beers you have. Much more and the hops begin to paralyze your tast buds. This isn't even Ruination. I seem to be tasting this for hours after the fact and in a good way.

Drinkability is strong as well but after you have your ability to taste much of anything after a couple of these, you get half of a point deducted. Still, I would keep going on principal and at $2.50 a pint, why not?

I can't readily get this one in MD. However, it is the one beer I genuinely seek out when I travel.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

Fantastic IPA. Great example of the style.

Appearance is a golden pale. Nice head and solid lacing

Smell is hops, hops, hops. Citrus dominate with some pine and floral hints.

Taste is hoppy, citrus, floral, bitter. Great balance between bittering hops and flavor hops. Finish isn't sweet but there is a dry malt flavor on the very back end.

Mouthfeel is very nice.

Drinkability is terrific if you are a fan of the style. If you don't like IPA's..this one isn't for you.

Great beer. It's simplistic: hops are hops and malts are malts. Not overly complex but everything is in perfect balance allowing one to enjoy this fine beer in all it's glory. Well done.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

The color is light orange. This IPA is a winner, it's bitter but the malt comes through oh so nicely. Some nice citrus flavors come through with the hops. The balance is amazing, I freaking love this beer. The only problem is it's a little pricey on the east coast. Check out the Arrogant Bastard Strong Ale as well. This is a close 2nd in my favorite IPA (first is smuttynose). SO freaking drinkable, I could drink this all night, which might be a little dangerous.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

This is a complex beer! A lovely copper-red color, a cream colored head, a lasting lace work on the glass, great humor on the bottle, massive grapefruit-rind hops, aromatic esters, a medium-light bodied ale, rich flavor, nicely malted, slightly sweet toasty flavors, followed by a dry knockout perfect bitter finish. Perhaps too strong for some, maybe not a session beer, but MAN! is this fantastic beer.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing