IPA | Stone Brewing

stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale aleā€”and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

#996

Ratings: 11,159 |  Reviews: 3,057
2.9/5  rDev -31.1%

Big thanks to Mzwolinski for bringing this one over.
I was really surprised to have a taste of this one. This is totally new to me.

Poured it in a robust Hoegaarden glass.
Smells very fruity: raspberry and peaches. Combined with spices and malty caramel.
It pours out a blond-amber coloured beer. Not a lot of head, but a good carbonation.
A very bitter fruit skin taste with rich hops, unripe citrus is very overpowering and lingers on into the aftertaste.
This is a full bodied beer, but totally not my taste.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

2.9/5  rDev -31.1%

Stone, what did you do? I'm disappointed in you.

Appearance: VERY cloudy, almost looks like a hefeweizen in my glass. It's got more dull-glow apricot than shiny pumpkin in the hue department.

Aroma: Syrupy up front, with a hit-over-the-head of grapefruit and tangerine hops.

Taste: Syrupy pine needles (or is that sap?) meet over-the-top dry (or is that raw?) hops of the extreme grapefruit variety. This is a dog with a loud bark. The bite, though, reveals it to be of the little-and-yappy variety.

Palate: How can a 6.9% ABV brew with a syrupy start be *thin*? I'm not sure, but this one certainly is. And the doggone grapefruit trope only contributes to the illusion that I'm actually drinking (thin) fresh-squeezed juice.

Overall: I love the Stone Brewery. Arrogant Bastard, Oaked AB, Levitation...but this one, not so much. You guys missed the mark here. I think it would go well with my breakfast tomorrow morning...in a juice glass.

2.88/5  rDev -31.6%

Every bottle I've ever had of this has been near or past it's best by date. So I've never wanted to review it. Since Stone is leaving the state I'm forced to review what I can get. 10/6/10 is the latest date I could find.

A: Poured into my delerium tulip the beer is bright orange gold. A full finger of white head receded rather quick leaving soapy lace. No cap.

S: Huge pine blast that fades into a mild burnt rubber tone. Not much else going on here.

T: Very one note. I've had this on tap so I know it's not just a freshness thing. This beer is all bitter all the time. Piney, acrid and harsh. Again maybe a touch of burnt tires.

M: Medium body with modest carbonation.

D: Overall as always an absolute chore to drink. I love hop bombs but this is nowhere near that. I really don't see why this beer gets so much praise.

2.85/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: Clear golden, with minimal head

S: fairly minimal aromatics in this stemless wine glass, I'll have to revisit as it warms a touch and there's a little more room in the glass... nope, never really develops.

T: A bitterness assault, resiny and piney in a particularly woody/vegetal way, like chewing on a sprig.

F: A little heavy bodied for a regular IPA. Lots of heavy, mouth-coating bitterness. Induced almost a bit of post-nasal-drip feeling in the throat.

O: In the classic style, no doubt, but not really what I feel like the modern IPA drinker is looking for.

2.84/5  rDev -32.5%

2.8/5  rDev -33.5%

2.78/5  rDev -34%

Pours a white, two finger-head that vanishes slowly leaving a good lace. Clear light amber color. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Nose is a strong hop. Starts with hops, somewhere there are malts - there is a trace of sweetness but the hops dominate, bitter finish that lingers. $2.30 for a 12oz bottle from Julio's Liquors Westborough, Ma.

2.78/5  rDev -34%

2.76/5  rDev -34.4%

2.75/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

At least you get a buzz!?

2.74/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

The brew pours a pale straw-yellow color with only a minimal head. Very quickly the foam dies down to a small ring leaving no real lacing to speak of.

The smell was interesting, plenty of IPA notes of hops with a predominance of floral and grassy notes.

The taste was quite disappointing for a Stone brew. While there was a balance of malt and hops, the hops notes were anything but attractive. Instead of a bold, active hops note there was some light, lavendar floral taste. Not at all what I'd expect from an American IPA. I usually praise beers that are balanced and this one certainly has a good bready malt body to balance the hops but there's really no hops to balance.

Mouthfeel is pretty good, it's a medium bodied brew with enough carbonation to clean the palate between sips. There are no oily or astringent aftertaste to detract from the experience.

As for drinkability, I think it speaks volumes that I regret having bought a six pack of this before trying one. I'm about halfway through and my opinion hasn't changed - this just isn't an interesting IPA.

IPA from Stone Brewing