Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 3,012 | Ratings: 10,913
3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

A- pours amber in color but when held to the light looks a lighter golden wheat color. frothy head that retains well. good lacing down the glass.

S- usual ipa smells that are a little more faint than others... hops, orange peel, pine & spice.

T- pine, bitter hops, citrus & grapefuits. light and crisp with a sharp bite on the end.

M- light body with not much carbonation

D- nice session beer. clean and crisp and a little subdued for an ipa. really enjoyed this beer...has the right mix of hoppy bitterness and pine for my palate

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Served at iTap in Soulard St Louis MO. Was an excellent choice while dodging a hail storm. Had a smooth taste, not bitter.

Enjoyed the color also. Tasted like a real IPA. No I'm not saying it has nutty flavor with a flowery hint. Real men don't say that.

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Nice bronzy color with a very small, white head that fades very quickly.

Smells like an IPA. Tangy hops, but not a huge amount of them.

Smooth. Great hop-malt balance. Where's the craziness? Sure this is a solid beer, but I'm left looking over my shoulder expecting to be blindsided.

Feels fairly thick in my mouth. Almost creamy. Feels almost perfect for the hop level.

No doubt about it, this is one damn drinkable beer. It never assaults the palette, thereby staying a pleasure to drink swig after swig.

Honestly, I was very underwhelmed by Stone's IPA. I guess I expected their signature (and wonderful) over-the-topness (yeah, I'll make up words, who's gonna stop me?). Once I got over that, I came to realize that this is a great beer meant for drinking, not knocking you on your ass. If this is locally available, you are lucky. If you are me, you have to drink 2 hours to get some more.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My first Stone beer from the Brewdog Online Shop, so it might not be the freshest bottle.
A nice orange golden, colour with a one finger frothy white head. I can't see any carbonation in this beer.
Smell is very sweet and I get orange, citrius, pine and tropical fruits... awesome that is how a IPA should smell!

Taste is a short fruity sweetness closely follwed by a big piney hop presence that lingers on your palate.. I quess until the next morning ;) I have to admit I like my IPA more balanced. This is just pure hop bitterness, with almost no malts to back it up. If you are a hop head go for it, if not stay with the more balanced East Coast IPAs

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Look: Cloudy copper/orange body, two finger head decent lacing.

Smell: Pine, lot of grapefruit and lemon zest.

Taste: Very well balanced malt/hop profile with the bittering hops being more upfront.

Mouth/Drink: Smooth and easy to drink. I expected more out of this. Its a great beer, but all the hype it gets on here led me to believe its the best single IPA which isn't true.

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

A: Mighty golden color with a amber orange hue. Dense foamy head. Lots of lace.

S: Hops. Lots of 'em. Pine. Light citrus. Nice. Very fresh and inviting.

T: Lots of dry hops, mild and smooth malts, with sappy pine notes. Hits of grains and earthy vegetables.

M: Lighter than many. Goes down very easy. Smooth and silky, no dense syrupy feeling.

D: Good. A solid IPA. A real winner. Could easily be sessioned.

Notes: A fine IPA. Doesn't beat Two-Hearted Ale, but gives it a run for it's money.

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

ok, i've been waiting to procure this beer and have seen that in all the reviews it's hops, hops, hops. but as soon as i cracked this one i got a load of sweet, doughy malts. very nice aroma. the hops are present (but less so than the malt character) in the bouqet with some resiny citrus notes mixed in. the overall smell of this beer is very enticing. taste is a very nice moderate bready malt sweetness followed by a nice, moderate hoppy, crisp finish. well-balanced between the malts and hop bitterness. very tasty. medium-bodied with a spritzy mouthfeel. this is some real good shit and as my first stone beer i can't wait to try the rest of their offerings.
Update: I like the color-more golden, pale malts, but there has been some sediment. Nose has not jumped out as much with the hops. Bitterness is a bit harsh and astringent-enamel removing. Still good though.

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Orange tinged golden color. Clear. Light carbonation visible. Pours with nice ivory head. Good retention. Beautiful medium thick lacing.

Citrusy smell, particularly orange zest. Certainly some pine here. Mild sweetness in background.

Big rush of hops up front, fades to tart grapefuit in the middle with strong, bitter, piney finish.

Mouthfeel is light without feeling insubstantial. Sits nicely on the tongue. Moderate carbonation. Very smooth beer.

This IPA isn't the most complex of its kind, but it's so eminently drinkable. Certainly one of my favorite go to beers of the summer. Always have wished that the flavors interacted more rather than hitting the palate in distinct phases. But certainly an IPA I recommend for individuals wanting to tread in a more hoppy direction.

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Had this brew on tap at Mahars the other night. Brew poured to a very nice brown/orange color with a slight head that broke down to light lacing. The aromas of this brew were all about the hops as I notice a piney, earthy smell with hints of grapefruit. The taste is very much about the pungent hopiness of this brew as you can notice it at the front and end of this brew. In the middle I am able to get a great biscuit (?) malt flavor that seems to keep things in somewhat of a balance. Over all a nice brew, definitely west coast and different from the IPA’s that I am use to but a very good brew. Will looks for this brew in the future!

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Certainly a classic IPA!
Great amber color with cloudy head. Good piney flavor but not over powering. Flavor runs straight for IPA. Smooth in the mouth and down the throat.

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Beer/Brewery - Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)\Stone Brewing Co.
City/State- Escondido, California
STYLE – American IPA
ABV – 6.9%
IBU – 77
DATE – 11 JUN 2011
SERVING TYPE – 12 oz Bottle
GLASSWARE – Tall Footed Pilsner
APPEARANCE – Clear Golden Honey yellow - Poured with a great head that dissipated down to ½ where it stayed - Nice lacing
AROMA- Hoppy… Just hops
TASTE – A crisp hoppiness right off the bat with a bitterness in the back of the throat
MOUTHFEEL – Real good carbonation but not over the top, very light
CONCLUSION – I do not drink a lot of IPAs, so my conclusion is not the best to build off of. For an IPA to me this was good. The aroma scared me but the flavor was not too powerful with the hops. I could see myself drinking this again, not every day, but I would not say no to it like I would of in the past
-JH-

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a light golden with a frothy white head that leaves some decent lacing. The smell is of orange and grapefruit citrus with a little bit of spiciness. The taste is mostly spicy hops up front and some attenuated malt at the finish. A bit grainy, but fairly balanced. The hop profile doesn't blow me away,but its solid. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and with a good carbonation level. Its a little rough in the mouth, it could stand to be smoothed out a bit. Good solid IPA, quite drinkable.

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Overall it is a very good beer, BUT it's pretty pricey. Don't know what the price is where you live, but for me it was being sold for $9.99 in the same place that was selling Sierra Nevada for $6.99, and honestly I don't think Stone is $3 better than Sierra Nevada. Like I said though it is a very good beer, great taste, extremely hoppy, which is what I want in an IPA, great mouth feel and color, overall extremely well done. It's just the price that gets me. If I'm paying that much for a 6, honestly I expect something more.

Great flavor and hoppy taste, but not liking the price tag.

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

A-pale golden body with great clarity. Topped with a fluffy thick head that leaves walls of lace.

S-Nice dose of herbal citrus hops. Not the huge fruitiness that I was expecting. In terms of IPAs, I have come across many more with a bigger, more well-rounded, hop punch. Slight doughy, malt in the background. Very clean overall.

T-Big tangy bitterness all the way through. There is a decent balance between the aggressive hops and a sweet caramel malt backbone. A bit tart in the finish.

M-Great hop bitterness, but the body was a little thinner that I like in a good IPA. Although the hops come on strong, they are not cloying.

D-Overall a good IPA, but there are a lot of good IPAs on the market. Nothing about this is bad, but it doesn't stand out more than the others. I am just a little torn about this one. The hype of this beer may have upped the bar a bit. Easy to drink and a pleasure for hop heads. Good, above average American IPA

120z bottle into a tulip

A - pours a copper-orange wit a finger of fine beaded dark cream head that dissipates quickly but laces the glass nicely

S - HOPS; pine, citrus, grapefruit, pungent end of floral; the malt shows its face for a second but doesn't stand a chance here

T - again, hops, hops, and layers of hops; plenty of bitterness but not over the top; the malt only serves to keep things in balance; there is a sweet malty note in the middle that comes back at the end before being engulfed by hops

M - CO2 and hops gives a creaminess to the palate that is just barely supported by the malt - big tension from the hops

D - a very drinkable beer

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

A - Golden orange, turbid with suspended particles, one finger of sticky, fluffy white head. Nice lace.

S - Good toffee malt backdrop, orange zest, pine. Big aroma for a non-imperial IPA.

T - Malt is definitely left behind once this hits the tongue. A little caramel and toffee, with loads of American hop bitterness that comes in waves. Hop flavor is of pine and citrus, with floral - and, at times, vegetal - notes. Finish is pithy, long, and bitter.

M - Maybe it's because I've been thoroughly enjoying Hopslam lately, but Stone IPA seems seriously lacking in body -- I know they're different beasts, but still. Tonight, this basically feels like drinking hop water.

D - It's not quite what I remember - really no match for Two Hearted at this point - but it is pretty good. I don't find myself wanting another right now, though finishing it wouldn't be a problem, but I'd like to revisit it in the near future.

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

As a fan of IPA (and a fan of Stone in general) this is a good but very mild IPA. Its taste is mild and smooth. I would have loved to have had some more hop flavor... it has the look and smell of a good IPA.... but, could use just more... oomph! That said, I have had it a few times, when I am in the mood...

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a clear light amber color with better than a full finger off white head that fades to surface fairly quickly. Some lacing present.

The smell is on the subtle side. Floral, sweet malt and citrus.

Medium to light bodied, the mouth feel is adequately carbonated but uniform.

The flavor is lightly hoppy and on the sweet side.

Drinks like a session beer but at 6.9% ABV i won't be knocking these back. This one is nice but not living up to the hype.

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

thanks for the solid extra!
12oz into delirium tulip split with e11a627
a-orange, yellow, a bit cloudy. white soapy head: 1 finger. solid lacing.

s-bitter orange, grapefruit citrus. light pine.

t-fresh grapefruit, love that dryhopped freshness. light pine, but not too huge. a bit of grass taste, lightly tropical.

m-medium body, moderate carbonation. resiny on the palate accumulates, but doesn't wreck anything.

d-very good. need to have the other stone ipas now to compare the whole bunch! a very solid ipa.

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Apologies in advance for my over-comparison to Bell's Two Hearted.

A: Pours a two finger head into my Weihenstephan mug, which looks mighty creamy might I add, and is a slightly hazy straw color. Fizzles down to a half finger head that is still creamy and laces the glass like crazy. Looks better than Bell's Two hearted.

S: The smell is giving me back faith in beer compared to the terrible Samuel Smith oatmeal stout I just poured down the drain. Smells pretty much exactly like Bell's Two Hearted, a tad less malty on the nose. Grapefruit dominates, there is some citrus, and other fruity florals from the hops. Pretty aromatic, even a tad more aromatic than the Bell's.

T: Not quite as bitter as I was expecting. The floral hops overwhelm the malt by just enough to really mask the malt, this happens to be less balanced than two hearted while maintaining about the same level of hoppiness. There is an ever so slight earthiness, I am not sure if this was actually intended, a flaw, or a result from some slight aging.
Living in Michigan I know that my bottle isn't as fresh as the two hearted that I can get, and this shows as some complexity from the hops has obviously cooled down due to age. The lack of balance really gets to me on this one, I wish I could actually taste some malt, this IPA definitely feels one dimension due to this. As another poster has said, this one smells better than it tastes.

M: A little light bodied for me, possibly a tad more watery than two hearted. Carbonation is spot on.

D: A proper session IPA. I could drink another without crying out for a different IPA. I am not drinking it quite as fast as I find myself drinking other IPAs.

O: This is the standard for all other west coast IPAs to follow, though the mid-west style IPAs are more my cup a tea. Even considering slight style differences, I would not buy this again if I could get two hearted instead.

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a golden honey and has decent carbonation, very little haze, and some off-white head that sticks to the glass a little. Looks refreshing.

Hops and hops on the nose, but not overwhelming and very much in line with what I like in an IPA. There is citrus, some astringency, some piney-ness and a little sweetness. The malts are there at the very back.

This beer is more about the bitterness than the sweetness, but both are present. Citrus, grapefruit bitterness, pine, hop oil, the malts are bready and sweet but definitely in the back seat. A little warmth brought the orange/juicy tangerine to the forefront. A touch syrupy...about the perfect amount for me, not cloying or over-sweet.

I'm suprised that people rave about the mouthfeel, to me it wasn't more or less impressive than most of the regular IPA's I've had.

I deemed the drinkability to be fairly good.

Good beer.

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Good two finger fluffy white head, leaves nice lacing. Clear dark yellow in appearance, might be more cloudy further down the bomber.

Nice strong piney hop aroma. Lets you know what's coming.

As expected, solid hop bitterness, pine, citrus, with only a minor malt backbone.

Very carbonated, but still fairly easy to drink. I generally like my IPAs with just a little more malt balance but understand this is a hoppy west coast version. But I do appreciate the hoppiness of this beer.

12 oz bottle into a pint

A - Pours a filtered, clear, bubbling light orange color. Head formation is bright white, not strong. Retained in a strong film however.

S - A strong bouquet of american hops, floral, grapefruit, but yet earthy. Some spicy notes as well. Reminds me of some simcoe or amarillo.

T - Starts with only the lightest milisecond of a malt note which is immediately bombed by an outright bitter finish. Comes across very dry, some alcohol warming. American hops dominate the mid-stream, more earthy than the nose. Finishes with a mega flourish of bitter bite, dry, and lots of hop character. Grassy at times.

M - The dry overly fermented style bites the tongue pretty hard - causing a mouthfeel on the thin side. Carbonation bite is light. Aftertaste is mega oily from the hops.

D - Moderately drinkable - the abv is pretty potent for the style, and the hop attack is just a bit wearing to be a sessionable beer.

I'd have to go ruination for my hop fix from Stones.

3.94/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Golden hazy with moderate small bubbles rising, a finger of off white head.

S: Pine, citrus, malts, onion.

T: Pine citrus, malts, onion, light orange candy, solid bitterness that lingers on the tongue.

M: Medium body, medium fine bubbled carbonation, smooth, slightly resinous finish.

O: A great beer that I’m sure is a standard for this style but I am only now trying it. Got it at World Market in Asheville, NC on Fathers Day today, June 15, 2014.

3.94/5  rDev -6.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a British Imp Nonic.

Case marked 6/2011, which I believe is a born on date.

Pours a nice one to two finger head which rapidly settles to a 1/4” cap and then to a thin film. Golden amber color with some depth and obviously not filtered. Very little “lacing”. An average looking IPA.

A good aroma of citrusy hops, light yeast, and as this ale warms some malt, nothing overly exciting here but quite enjoyable.

Nice crisp entry in the mouth, medium to full bodied, with the main flavor being the nice fruity citrus hops, the hops give way to some pleasant bitterness, and eventually a little malt comes thru as the ale warms.

Has a good finish of lingering bitter hops, very good length, quite enjoyable.

OK, not a heavy hitter but certainly a very drinkable IPA, refreshing, one I would drink on the colder side, say around 45 degrees, and suitable for a warm summer day. The finish is the most distinctive component of this ale and definitely adds to the overall enjoyment. Average ABV for this style. Sells for approximately $42 around here so it’s no bargain when I can buy Victory Hop Devil for less.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing