Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 2,982 | Ratings: 10,793
3.85/5  rDev -9%

Pours almost clear light golden, with straw colored highlights. A large almost white head leaves some nice lacing.

Smell is understated with orange citrus, and not much else.

Taste follows the aroma, citrus that is not overpowering, with a hint of pith.

Feel is smooth and easy to drink. Crisp and dry.

I drank this after the West Coast IPA from Green Flash, and let's just say, the Green Flash blew this out of the water like a cheep blow up toy. Still a fine beer, just normal, not special.

3.85/5  rDev -9%

I love this beer, I always get it because I am lucky enough to have a Vons a block away that carries it in sixers for 7 something. It looks nice, rich dark golden yellow, with a nice head if poured hard. The head doesnt stay but the lace does. Strong pine and spice aromas. The taste is smooth with the perfect bitterness for me. I can drink a lot of these.

3.85/5  rDev -9%

Poured cloudy orange color with small head. I was not able to pick out much of an aroma. The taste was citrus and a hoppy bitterness (which I liked). I admit to not being a great IPA fan, but I did like this beer. So far, this one runs second to the AleSmith IPA.

3.85/5  rDev -9%

Pours a nice light amber with two fingers of foam. Retains head very well. Very herbal on the nose. Taste is unmistakeably hoppy, like a pine cone dipped in soap, definitely makes you pucker-up. Anymore hops and this beer would be outta control, but they managed to get it pretty much right for this style.

3.85/5  rDev -9%

Pours a hazy gold with a large white crown which left good lacing behind.

Smelled of hops and citrus along with a malt backbone.

Tasted of hops and grains, with a citric tartness at the tail end. The malt doesn't come into play as much as it did in the nose.

Mouthfeel was very good. Medium bodied with a good clean crispness about it. Smooth and refreshing going down.

This was a good IPA. Not the best I've had but certainly close to the top tier.

3.85/5  rDev -9%

Was kind of surprised just now when I noticed I have never reviewed this beer. Pours a pretty pale copper. Perfectly clear. Lots of foamy head and substantial lace. Nose has more than just the hops that I was expecting, there's a nice malt base there too. Taste is a little piney, but very well balanced with the malts so the hops don't knock you over. The malts actually provide a pretty full body flavor to the beer. Not a dry finish at all.

3.85/5  rDev -9%

Color is a lighter shade of pale yellow, some hazy cloudyness with a finger high white head of looser thickness, fades and bubbles down to some bubbles along the rim. Lace in webby loose sheets. Smell is quite floral and sweetly hopped lending light pine, light grapefruit and a touch spicy. Not all that strong but very fresh and hoppy. Swirling brings out some soft caramel malts and alcoholic warmth. Taste is a calming smooth, subtle hoppy little treat. Solid floral and dried sense of hops with a good touch of pine and grapefruit mixing with peach notes. Nice light backing of soft caramel malts; a bit of toasted bread. Well balanced and the bitterness is well under check with nice lingering spicy dried grapefruit notions in the finish. Lightly creamy and a fair medium body feel with a crisp, clean subtle hoppy finish. Maybe expecting to much from this beer with all the high recommendations. Its a solid IPA for sure, but didn't quite make the impact on me with more of a mellower hop flavor then I was anticipating. Comparisons aside, this was very close to Town Hall's Columbus Pale. So as an IPA this was more like a great pale.

Thanks to Gusler for the Bomber.

3.85/5  rDev -9%

Pours a clear golden orange with a 1"+ head of off-white foam holding it down. Great lace and a thick film remain.
Smell is hops, citrus and bubblegum. Hints of malt and vanilla hiding way back.
Taste is hoppy, citrus, cardboard and some light malt and pine.
Warming from the get-go, almost full-bodied, smoother than expected, not a heavily hopped either. A good brew.

3.85/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

If you are a hophead this beer is for you - I'm not a hophead. With that out of the way:
The color was deep amber. Very clear and high level of carbonation. The off-white head persisted throughout the pint. The aroma was pine, pine, and more pine. It's gotta be the chinooks! The flavor is the same as the aroma - resiny pine. It left a bitter taste on my tongue that reminded me of the old Foghorn Leghorn cartoons where he painted the dogs tongue with green paint. Way too bitter for me but then again most of Stones brews are. I', glad I only bought one.

3.85/5  rDev -9%

The Stone IPA pours a clear gold, bordering on orange-yellow. The white head is small but leaves a visible lace as the glass is drained. This is a very bright beer.

The aroma is extremely hoppy and spicy. I can tell by the aroma (and the Stone name coincidentally) that this is a hoppy brew. Upon forst taste, I am amazed that the hoppiness is not more intense. Now, come on, I didn't mean that this is not an intensely hoppy beer. It is. I'm just surprised that the over-the-top Stone has brewed an IPA here that is rather well balanced, although very heavy on the hops.

I can taste a malt foundation with a tremendous hoppy body. The floral-citrus bitterness dominates to be sure, but there is far more flavor than you'd think. Although I am not a huge fan of overly hoppy beers, I believe I could have more than one of these. An amazing thing that I never would have guessed.

3.85/5  rDev -9%

A- Nice burnt orange kind of color with a nice white head.

S- Smells very strong of hops and citrus

T-taste was real citrusy and pinelike very tasty brew indeed.

M- was surprisingly thin compared to Victory Hop Devil which I drink often. Very good mouthfeel though.

Drinkability was a little low for me there is an aftertaste that I dont care for and would stick to the hopDevil for regular consumption.

Still a great IPA and solid all the way. I cant even imagine Stone making a bad beer.

3.84/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a nice Amber colored body, with a decent sizes creamy white head. Little bit of lacing that hangs out for a bit. Not much carbination, which could be a challange on this one.

Aromas are very present on this one. Very heavy with a citris hops aroma in the forefront of this one. Its followed up with some other aromas as well...being some some caramels, oranges, and a trail of a floral hops as well.

The taste on this brew is very good. The first sip of this brew has a nice hoppy flavor to it. It follows up with a strong presence of grapefruit and a hint of orange mixed as well. Its sweet and bitter all at once, which makes this a very interesting beer. Its very nice finish.

The mouthful is great on this west coast born IPA. Its crisp and smooth and has the perfect bitterness that you expect from an IPA. Spices sit well and give you that bit of a bite you are looking for. Nice medium body and little carbination, which actually helps round out this beer.

Drinkability is good. This wouldn't be a great session beer due to the higher ABV, but it goes down smooth and I would definitly have it again. I will have to try some more brews by Stone Brewing Company.

3.84/5  rDev -9.2%

Was looking forward to trying this one for a while but have to say I was slightly disappointed. Nice beer but doesn't really stand out for me amongst a crowded IPA field packed with great beers. This one looks nice, cloudy light amber color and modest head; smell is slightly floral hops, continuing in the taste. Bitterness is pretty restrained for a west coast IPA. Mouthfeel is thin enough, medium carbonation, definitely highly drinkable.

Perhaps I got an old bottle; there was no dating but I did buy it from a very solid store that keeps the product moving. Overall the flavors were a bit more muted than I would have liked but this is a solid B IPA nonetheless.

3.84/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bomber into a Sin City Brewing Co (Nevada) pint glass. Light head, faded fast, light lacing, lasted throughout drink. Golden, honey orange...a little cloudy to the eyes.

Slight hops on the nose, orange, grapefruit, lemon, pine...what you would expect from an IPA.

Mellow pine, citrus...a hint of candy cane and dark/burnt coco on the front of the tongue. Extremely smooth. The finish tastes of bitter lazy grapefruit. Bitter finish is fast, then gone...probably why so many people like it?

I've had the Bastard and thought it was very good. This is extremely balanced and smooth, making it very drinkable, if you enjoy IPAs you'll like this. Honestly, it isn't much different from lots of very good beers in this style? I will drink again...it's good...close to great...but...?

I'll come back to it and review it again in the summer...maybe the change in weather will help? I must say I've been drinking a lot of very hoppy IPAs lately, so my buds are all juiced up!

3.84/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a light golden color, with a quickly fading head. In stone's own words, it looks like "fizzy yellow beer". Does have some nice lacing though.

Smells of citrus and grassy hops. Also smells slightly sweet and sticky. Quite enjoyable.

Flavor is very round. Solid hop bitterness, but with a heavy malt backbone. Fairly light on the flavor hops, but some does shine through. Mouthfeel is silky smooth. Drinkability is average for the style I feel.

Another quality brew from Stone.... they really know what thier doing with thier hops over in California.

3.84/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured a light amber gold color.Wasn't much of a head,but left trace amounts of lace.Head dissolved quick to almost nothing.Has an immediate hop smell.Taste of hops is unmistakable and hefty.A medium body with an unusual high ABV for an IPA.The finish is very bitter with no presence of an alcohol taste.Leaves a dry feeling on the mouth.You'll be burping up hops for awhile with this brew.

3.84/5  rDev -9.2%

poured from a 1 pint 6 oz bottle into into pint glass.
A- dark amber, hazy, some carbonation bubbles rising entire time. nice, off-white two finger head that slowly dissipated leaving partial lacing throughout.
S- earthy, pine smell dominates, but there are hints of grapefruit as well.
T- hops comes through in a wonderful bitterness that IPA's should have; it finishes with a lemon/honey note that I find interestingly complex.
M-The hops sits on the back of your tongue. It is not too heavy, but it is there as it should be.
O- Above average in my opinion- it has the bite and bitterness I want in an IPA, but it is not overbearing or hard to drink. This is a beer to be savored and enjoyed slowly.

Recently picked up a single of this, best by date of 3/3/11

A - Brew pours a nice golden color with a bit of cloudiness. A good amount of foamy white head also presents itself. Nice lacing along the glass as well.

S - Strong pine aroma greets the nose up front. Some floral notes in there as well with a tinge of malt.

T - Both citrus and pine hops up front with a nice malt background. A bit of biscuit character in there too, a nice and balanced IPA.

M - Medium bodied, smooth throughout with a dry finish. Carbonation is right where it should be.

D - Solid offering from Stone and a good take on the style. If you're an IPA fan, its worth giving this one a shot.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A: Comes out a nice copper color with great clarity and carbonation. The head's decent and the lacing's good. A fine looking bber, all in all.

S: As they say on the bottle, it's dry-hopped so there they are. Pine notes up front with some citrus buried deep within. Not bad at all.

T: Great hopiness on top of bitterness. Those two are the most evident, but there's some citrusy flavor underneath. Grapefruit, maybe? Tough to tell. A good IPA flavor.

M: A perfect, medium body with spot-on carboantion. It goes down clean and after a few sips, I can feel it in my gut. Real good stuff.

D: Hoppy beers always get a little easier for me to drink as I go along. It's the first one that I have to get through. That wasn't too hard with this brew at all. Take two if you get the bigger bottle.

Overall/notes: This is just a good IPA from Stone. I preferred their Pale Ale a little more, but that just speaks about how great THAT beer was. This one is... well it's really good, too. An easy-to-access beer that'd be great for novices (like myself) to look into.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from 22oz bottle. I think this bottle that I had was a little funky. Review reflects this issue with this bottle.

A- Poured a clear deep yellow with a one and a half finger cloudy white head. Some sticky lacing on the sides of the glass after the head went down in a fashionable amount of time.

S- This is a good smelling beer. This is also a Stone smelling beer as well! Big huge citrus hop smell right off the bat with hints of pine as well. Bready sweet malts and a tint of metallic tinge to this bottle as well. Since this is my like 100th Stone IPA I realize the metallic tinge isn't suppose to be in there. Also the alcohol is suprisingly covered with the hops in this beer.

T- The citrus hops blast through the liquid onto the tounge as this beer rolls over the palate. Lots of citrus hops to be honest. The pine and malts come in next with a slight sweet malt with a semi bitter hop balance each other out nicely. There is something of an issue with this bottle as I sip on it. The taste of metal really shines through with the ending. It's very strong and I don't really like it.

M- This has a medium mouthfeel to it. The carbonation was good leaving this beer a nice dancing effect over the palate. Nice hop taste left on the tounge and pleasant hop aftertaste.

D- This is a very drinkable brew. It's a shame this beer was tainted when I cracked it. I love Stone and this beer is the only off one that I had pretty much ever from Stone. But I drink this and like it. You should too.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Picked up a sixer at a local liquor store for about 12 dollars. For that price I expected something really spectacular and the 95 overall ranking made me think "oh boy, this is going to be great!". If I'm honest, it just isn't. It's TOO bitter. It tastes like what I imagine grapefruit peels to taste like. If you puréed them with some pine needles. Hopslam is way better for my palate any day of the week. Ugh.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured into a pint glass

A- A very inviting hazy golden color with a slightly orange tint. The head is roughly 2 fingers thick and gives a very pillow-y appearance as it dissipates leaving a nice thick lacing (more of a coating.)

S- Lemon zest, marijuana, bready malts. I'm actually getting a very slight amount of booze out of it too as it warms, but nothing alarming.

T- The "bready-ness" that I smelled in nose is the most evident player on the palate. Also, some lingering bitterness on the back of my tongue. Not much in the way of the citrusy hops that I get in the aroma (though faint.)

M- Pretty standard IPA. Possibly a little low on the carbonation scale, but nothing that detracts greatly from the overall quality.

D- Deceptively drinkable for nearly 7%. Nothing is too overwhelming, which is good except for with the hops, which I was hoping to be more prominent. All in all, a good beer and definitely one of the better of the widely accessible IPAs. I feel like this bottle might be a little older than I would have liked, but no dating system on the bottles so I don't know. I hadn't had it in months before tonight, but I remember having a bottle or two and definitely some servings from the tap that were slightly better, but my palate may has changed since then too.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Stone's IPA yesterday for $1.99 at The Lager Mill. When I saw this beer sitting on the shelf I realized that I haven't had it before. so I decided to give it a try, lets see how it goes. Enjoy by July 21st. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label is nice, it's not that eye catching but it has clean and classy look to it. It poured a fairly clear golden yellow color that took on an orange hue when held to to the light with two fingers worth of creamy slightly off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is pretty good looking IPA, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of hops, there's some spicy and floral hop aromas mixed in with a nice citrus hop aroma with grapefruit seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some a slight bit of bready and grainy malts followed by some more floral hops aromas with a little bit of pine in the background. This beer had a nice aroma, it was dominated by hops, maybe a little too much so, but the hop profile was pretty nice.

T- The taste starts off with a slightly lower amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of hops, I get all the hops aspects that I picked up in the aroma, but it's the floral hops that seems to stick out the most imparting a flavor that reminds of Two Hearted Ale. Up next comes a very slight bit of malts that imparts a light grainy flavor that is a little watery. On the finish there's a very high amount of medium bitterness bordering on high bitterness with a very floral hoppy like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting IPA, but I would have liked just a little more balance to it.

M- A little smooth, pretty dry, pretty crisp, slightly watery, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I wish it was just a tad thicker.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and an above average IPA, it had a pretty nice hop profile that stayed away from the heavy citrus and tropical fruit components and it relied on some nice floral hops to take the helm and I thought that worked out nicely. This beer had decent drinkability, it wasn't the smoothest, but the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention and I think one or two of these would be good enough for me, the bitterness and lighter body might start to wear on me after awhile. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both pretty damn good with the aroma doing a great job at highlighting those floral hops. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance, I know IPA's are suppose to highlight the hops, but I think a maltier base would help this beer a little. I don't know if I would buy a six pack of this anytime soon, but I wouldn't mind ordering this at a bar/restaurant and I think this could pair well with some spicy food, I recommend this to any IPA lover and people who like the floral hops, I also thought it was priced nicely. All in all I thought this was a pretty solid IPA, there's some aspects that I think could be improved upon, but for the most part is was a pretty good straight forward American IPA and the more I drank it the more I liked the hop profile. This isn't my favorite IPA, but it's far from my least favorite, I would say it's a little above being right in the middle, but if I was in the mood for a floral hop heavy beer I would choose Two Hearted Ale over this. Good job Stone this is one solid IPA, I have no clue what took me some long to try it but I'm glad I finally did, keep up the good work guys.

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A - Amber with a bit of a haze, 1/2 finger head with excellent lacing down to the last sip.

S - Piney aroma with a little sweetness in the background

T - still being an amateur, I tried this when it was a little too cold and got mostly a bitter hops bite with a malty backing character. As I made my way through, I let it sit and warm up and the fruit flavors come out. This has a pine hop bite up front even as it warms, but a orange/lemon flavor appears and finishes with a malt back.

M - A good beer, a little more body than other IPA's I have tried, and I like that.

O - As it warmed, the character of the beer comes out, I really enjoyed the Stone IPA, I wish there was a little more fruit flavor, but overall a very good IPA

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottled on 8-10-15, enjoy by 11-8-15. Tulip.

A: Pours a clear, orange-tinged gold with ample carbonation and a one finger foamy and rocky just off-white head. Nice spotting, but not much true lacing.

S: A bold, but vague citrusy tartness. Some ale yeast esters. Some mild resin. A little disappointed in this department, actually. Bottle's only 33 days old.

T: Dry, clean arrival, balancing malt across the middle with moderate bitter pine and resin; closing out to a dry, lingering medicinal hop finish.

M: Lighter side of midweight, less carbonation than the appearance suggests; quite slick on the finish.

O: Now THIS is what I consider a West Coast IPA. There is very little fruit on the nose, and very little sweetness on the palate. It is clearly imbalanced in favor of hops, but strangely, it works. Though so many try to do this and fail, Stone succeeds. Is it a go-to IPA for me? No, I was disappointed with the nose; I like more than just a little vague tartness; I also like more fruit-forward and sweeter/maltier IPAs. Not offputting at 70-some IBUs. But I could definitely see this being a regular buy in the summertime.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing