Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale aleā€”and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Ratings: 11,035 |  Reviews: 3,037
4.04/5  rDev -4.3%

3.8/5  rDev -10%

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Pour is golden with a modest touch of amber. A medium to thin head reduces at a quick pace to leave sticky lace coating the glass. The nose is robust and smells of hop and touches of citrus and earthy grasses and pine abound. Bitter hops greet the pallet as do a moderate but appreciated malt under current. This IPA is really quite gentle on the tongue which makes it quite easy to enjoy more than one. A nice dry finish rounds out this quality beer.

3.89/5  rDev -7.8%

The nose is of the piney and forest like hops I've come to know and love on the west coast.

Taste keeps the hop nose very well but with a huge malt characteristic followed by a very bitter end. Honestly too much of an off putting bitterness at the finish. I can take bitter all day but this was not exactly in the right direction, and it's surprising because Stone always has a good malt backbone to balance things out.

It's still a very good IPA but of course Enjoy By and Ruination are a bit better in every way.

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

12 oz Bottle.Very very solid beer.Ipa at a respectable 6.9 abv.Of course not as good as say a Ruination from Stone but still a solid semi functional brew.I use the term functional very loosely because if you drink to many of these brews they can easily get a way from you.Great flavor as you would expect from Stone and it seems like it`s in my frig all the time meaning it`s easy to find. I do love Stone beers.

3.76/5  rDev -10.9%

3.96/5  rDev -6.2%

4.56/5  rDev +8.1%

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Really good IPA, and great labeling.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

This is my first review so pardon me if any of my comments seem rookie. However, I served in the U.S. Navy for over 20 years so I know about beer tastes from around the World.

Before trying this beer I was a fan of the Pale Ales and darks but this IPA has grown on me quickly because of its hoppiness. Very crisp on the tongue and lingers nicely. A good summer beer elsewhere but great anytime in its home town and mine. I could not give it a perfect score because I believe there is always room for improvement. However, I am definitely a fan now.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing