Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 2,969 | Ratings: 10,740
3.12/5  rDev -26.2%

I'm typically a dark beer guy: porters, stouts, etc...but I've been delving into weissbeer and IPA's lately. Stone IPA is well crafted. However, it is very floral and extremely dry. Not my cup of tea, but seems to accomplish its mission based on the many positive reviews. Prefer Terrapin Hi-Five to Stone IPA

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer opened up my palate to Stone and is the biggest reason why Stone is in my top 5 favorite breweries
Look: Dark and gold. The head did not dissipate at all. Lacing was amazing.
Smell: It was a few weeks past the best by date and it still had fresh, fresh hoppy goodness to it. Piney, citrusy, floral
taste: Stone likes to boast about hops, but this is balanced well with malts. Nice pale malts match the bitter hops
Mouthfeel: smooth, pleasant, well carbonated.
Overall: Great IPA. Got me in to Stone and I've been trying have my home IPAs match this. Amazing

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A bit bitter, but I believe this is the best I've had by Stone yet. They seem to be a little hit and miss, but when they hit, they HIT. bottled 12/14/15. The only word that comes to mind is DAMN. I will have to come back to this and leave a better review another time.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

LOOKS: A bright golden yellow in the sun. Plenty of small bubbles rising. Leaves a 2 inch off white, creamy head that is there all the way to the end, nice lacing down the glass.
AROMA: Orange/tangerine, grapefruit rind, slightly astringent (Simcoe, anyone?), white bread crust.
TASTE: Decent bitterness from start to finish. Grapefruit pith. This is a 3 month old bottle, (freshest on the shelf), and the flavors are a little muted, the aroma is better, weird.
FEEL: Smooth and creamy, not as carbonated as I would have thought from looking at it. A little slick at first and then dries up nicely on the finish.
OVERALL: My first Stone product. Would love to try it again a little fresher. The flavor was basically bitter muted grapefruit. The aroma was pretty nice, weird because I've always heard the hop aroma goes away first. I'll try another when I can, this is not yet available where I live.
EDIT: Grabbed a six pack from a different location. The website says 'enjoy by date' on the shoulder of the bottle? My ASS!!! There is a code of some kind on the bottom of the bottle printed in black that you can only see when the bottle is empty. That said, the beer was good. Nice big orange aroma, and tasted much fresher than my original review beer. Not muted anymore. Get your bottling dates worked out Stone!!

3.99/5  rDev -5.7%

Golden pale color with a thick head. Smells great, however, floral, fruity, piney hoppiness is not what shines through to me. It's plenty bitter, but strangely I wouldn't call it hoppy. If it weren't from a brewery that also brews a "pale ale", I would categorize this as a bitter APA. It is good, but I wouldn't call it a great IPA, not by my taste.

So I got this at a gas station and totally thought I was getting ripped off at first but went with it anyway to take a chance on this beer (i had already paid and they weren't going to give me money back). Anyway I checked it out on here and saw there was some pretty good hype about it so I got pretty excited. Spoiler alert; the hype is real. Considering the style of beer this is it is pretty much as close to perfect as everyone makes it out to be.

I poured hard from bottle into the trusty weapon that is my pint glass and poured one of the most gorgeous beers to ever sit in front of me. Frothy, white-ish head. The color was an ambiguously solid gold. The beer stands and looks clear but hazy in a way that you feel it could also nearly be opaque. I held it up to light and saw yeast particles nearly microscopic in size that helped give the beer its perfectly clear/solid complexion.

The smell is perfect. Strong and hoppy. Somewhat fruity but not in a "fruity beer" way.

The taste is full. And when I say full I mean FULL. It's bittersweet. it starts with a flip flopping of bitter and sweet hop notes. Very strong hop character. Then you also get a touch of the fruit similar to the nose with a very yeasty finish. An interesting thing I noticed, and quite enjoy, is that if you take a minute between gulps, a lingering aftertaste of pineapple subtly resides on the pallets as the hop bitterness settles. I also would like to note that one of the Alström brothers said to burp after taking a gulp. I tried this and it was pretty awesome, really helps to kickstart the pineapple lingering effect.

Mouthfeel is thick and wholesome. The beer is about as heavy as you will assume it to be in both mouthfeel and alcohol content. 3 of these honestly kind of does the job for me.

I have never been sure about when or not I am having a (almost) perfect beer, but I was sure this time. It was way good. Perfect for any hop head and anyone who likes to get the funny feels off a few deliscious brews. I am savoring the last few sips of my last unit out of the sixer and can say I will definitely be getting this again.

1/25/16 (draft REVISITED, Legends Sports Bar, Long Beach) Finally rating this beer after several years of drinking it and never has it tasted more like something other than an IPA than this time around. The first sip had a lager quality to it. I hope this is just a freak batch.

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

L - pours dark/burnt orange. 1 finger thick head slight off white that leaves a very nice, generous lacing that sticks all beer through

S - hop heavy, citrus and pine just like a good IPA

T - great beer, citrus (notably grapefruit) dominates with a heavy pine presence. Very hoppy beer

F - medium heavy body, smooth, good mouthfeel really coats the mouth and sticks around

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle dated brewed on 7/10/15 and enjoy by 10/08/15. So I'm behind by about 3 months. That being said, it is a great beer and my town is missing out having a six pack just chilling for that long in the big HEB.

Pours a brightish, golden malty color, with great lacing. Leaves foam rings the whole way through. Has a clean, malty hop smell, a bit astringent in a great way. Taste is very bright and hoppy, with a zesty citrus combined with pine to make a quite a resinous drink. Upon drinking, I immediately realized that I was not dealing with an average beer -- this is one to which you can hold other beers as a standard. Truly sessionable, great beer even when its apparently out of date.

I have had nothing but great from Stone, the Ruination 2.0 is a bit better and more robust but this is quite a great beer as far as taste and feel goes. Also hides a bit more alcohol. This one is Definitely a winner if you're looking for a new gem to add to the long list of incredible American IPA's. Very chill beer.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look: The beer pours a dark orange body and has a generous one-finger white head. It recedes to a thin white layer with a few holes and a solid white crown. The beer's lacing is excellent and the marks on the glass stay for a very long time.

Smell: A lot of hops on the nose as well as citrus and grapefruit rinds. The nose is not floral; it is just strong enough to tempt you.

Taste: The malt profile is very subtle in favour of the hoppiness, which is not a bad thing as this is a Californian IPA. The beer's front end has a nice taste of citrus and grapefruit. Then it moves to notes of smoked pine woods. This suggest that Cascade hops were used in the brewing process. All in all, the bitterness was not too overwhelming.

Feel: The mouthfeel is medium-bodied because of the smoked taste. The finish is super clean and there is no remnants of beer on your tongue. Therefore, there is no after taste. Speaking about the alcoholic warmth in your throat, it is almost lukewarm.

Overall: Although this beer's bitterness is almost at the end of the IBU spectrum for IPAs, it is very well balanced by the smoked taste of Cascade hops and other hops I could not recognize. Moreover, I love how this IPA does not downplay its Californian identity unlike Lagunitas IPA, which tasted too much like an IPA from the East Coast. I would gladly drink Stone IPA again!

4.41/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

First taste tonight, as part of a make your own 6 pack. Been wanting to try this, and glad I did. Hoppy but smooth, aggressive but very drinkable. Explodes at the back of the tongue, then follows with a bitter, satisfying aftertaste. Super clean with absolutely zero off-flavors. Be careful.. This one packs a punch. I'm usually a 4 beer per night guy, but tonight I stopped at 3. Will be buying this one again. (Update as of 2/23/16: have definitely bought again..and again... etc.)

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very solid IPA. Fantastic balance yet gives you the best of both worlds with liberal hopping and a solid backbone and strength. Pine and tropical fruit notes blend with the slight caramel sweetness that lends this a hand. Looks and smells really appealing, with a generous white head.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co is a killer beer to say the least. This one is outstanding. I could drink this one all the time. Great aroma. Grapefruit, lemon and Piney hops with a dash of citrus. Great amber/copper color. The flavor matched the scent too the Tee. Very citrus forward (notable lemon) with nice piney after taste. Super carbonation and a nice foam head. If you are a hop head, give this one a shot. This beer is very drinkable.

4.41/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This might be the single best IPA I've had yet in my beer journey (okay, I haven't had many yet, but still). It was really everything you want in an IPA, intensely bitter but still smooth and drinkable. I sipped it almost nonstop and finished in record time, pausing only to marvel periodically at the swirls of foam, thick lacing, and beautiful copper color. Very prevalent hops but not overwhelming. Everyone should definitely try it, it's a classic of the style for a reason.

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 11/13/15..pretty fresh.
6.9% abv.... easy to drink, even sessionable.
The hops here are a little more towards the bittering end vs. aroma. Some juniper aftertaste.
A really good IPA.

4.16/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a hazy orange straw color with a thin white head that persisted and laced nicely. Has a fruity citrusy aroma with a piney overtone. The mouthfeel is medium and well carbonated with a typical IPA hoppy piney flavor. Finishes very nice with a pleasant building bitterness that's well balanced. I'd buy this again.

Very little malt but lots of pine from the chinook hops. There is a little citrusy fruit thing going on too but the pine is the dominent flavor. Overall a solid IPA but is pretty standard hop profile and taste for your run of the mill west coast IPA.

3.94/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured dark straw/copper with 1 finger fluffy white head into snifter. Great head retention and lacing. Scent is strong on citrus with some subtle piny notes. Flavor matched the scent exactly. Very citrus forward (notable lemon) with nice piny after taste.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from bottle into glass mug. I don't know why I waited so long to try this one, I guess there are so many out there. It has a nice copper/amber colour and smells of mild hops with some citrus, very good because it was not overpowering. Taste is not overly hoppy, a perfect blend of hops, citrus, pine that is found in most west coast IPA's but done much better here. Goes down smooth. Prost!

4.51/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

At first sip I was a little worried that I might not like this one as much. But as I've gotten accustomed to the flavors and let the beer warm up a bit, I have come to really enjoy this beer. The smell is pretty dang hoppy in my opinion. I can smell the malt for sure, along with some earthy and citrus, floral hops. Now the taste is the best part. It's like the flavor just comes out of nowhere. The bitterness is there and delicious. You can taste hop resin, a little citrus, and again, the floral notes. The malt sweetness is definitely there as well. Mouthfeel is medium, carbonation is perfect. Overall, this beer is great and I will drink this resinous babe again.

4.84/5  rDev +14.4%

The best IPA that you get nearly everywhere. Ruined all other mass available IPAs - if the store or restaurant doesn't have it - I get wine. Always check freshness date to ensure you're getting the best product.
L: Somewhere between quality honey and new copper with thin foamy head that persists for some time
S: Floral though a little boozy smelling
T: Words elude me to describe accurately - though having an ABV of 6.9 - you don't taste it. Citrus notes. Wonderful gulpability - if you don't like to sip. There's a faint residual bitterness but much less so than other West Coast style IPAs.
F: Slight residual stickiness that enhances taste. Satisfying and delightful feel going down throat and in gut.

4.31/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this on tap at Craft & Draft in Amsterdam.
A great beer, light bodied and heavy on the tropical fruit - pineapple and mango - plus a bit of grapefruit, on top of a bitter and refreshing body. The alcohol is quite well hidden.

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

With a 94 on the BA score, a 99 on the Bros score, and numerous personal recommendations, I'm coming into this review with extremely high expectations.

A: First let me say how much I like the packaging: the black and green color scheme, the expertly done drawing of the gargoyle, the way the label seems to be ingrained on the bottle through some manner of witchcraft.

Thin, foamy white head upon pouring. Drank out of an off-brand clear plastic cup because I've got no class at all. A layer of foam stays for minutes on the surface of the drink and around the edges of the cup, while carbonation visibly bubbles in a continuous and slow-moving manner towards the top. When held up to the light, the color could be most closely compared to honey (when the honey's in a bottle, not when it's being poured).

S: I smelled right after opening and was bulled over for just a split second. I'm still refining my beer nose, I'd characterize the smell as hardy, as being full-bodied yet having a lofty component. Nothing unusual per se, but a strong, reliable, yet distant sort of effect that I found myself smelling over and over again as I tried to pin it down.

T/M/O: This one's a straight shooter, definitely right-handed. What makes this beer great isn't some unexpected burst of flavor or unusual ingredient; it's the overall quality, the competence of the execution; it's the graceful balance between substance and drinkability. This beer rides like a dream. I'm going to sound like a broken record, but it strikes a tasteful balance between being light and pleasant, while also being bitter and complex enough that I want to keep sipping on it over and over again.

This beer did meet the high bar I had set for it before sampling it, though not in the way that I'd expected. This is the beer that I will judge other IPA's against; it is the standard for a well-made, high quality IPA without frills or gimmicks. I'm excited to compare some of the more adventurous takes on the IPA formula, my previous favorites (Great Lakes' "Burning River," Jackie-O's "Mystic Mama"), to this classic.

Addendum I:
As someone who's always preferred things that were a little different, I don't think this could ever be my personal favorite beer. Stone IPA is like the girl your parents want you to marry: comforting and substantial, but nothing exotic or challenging, nothing to get excited or passionate about. I find myself wanting something a little bitterer (is that a word?), though I know that I'm an IBU fiend.

Addendum II:
I've been sipping from bottle number two for a while now, and I keep coming back and lowering the score by intervals of .25. In the future, I think I'll try to rate beers blind, without any knowledge of the BA score, because I feel like knowing the BA score beforehand clouds my judgment.

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Very good IPA. Had this from tap at BJ's. Had about a 1/2" thick white head and a copper color. Hoppy taste from start to finish and a nice medium thick body. I'll try again.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Awesome beer. Just fantastic. With so many junk IPAs out there - this sets the standard of what an India Pale Ale shoud be. Tons of flavor and the bite is just right.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing