Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 2,989 | Ratings: 10,817
3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

An iconic beer, I know, but once you have so many of the incredible IPAs that are being churned out, this one is just 'meh'. Not bad, but not exceptional, and a bit too carbonated and boozy for my liking.

4.73/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is an exceptionally tasty, smooth IPA. In all reality there's nothing particularly special about it except that it nails the style (at least in its west coast form). It is on the darker side for an IPA--more of a deep amber--but still within the range of normal. The smell is citrusy and dank, and the taste has that light-ish, more aromatic than bitter profile that characterizes west coast ipas.

4.31/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Third of a litre at the Celle Bierfest, served in a Stone snifter. Brewed in Berlin.

A: Golden amber colour, slight haze, one finger sized head, moderate retention, decent amount of lacing.

S: Citrus and grapefruit, Cascade bomb.

T: Wheat, pine and grapefruit. High on bitterness but kept it subtle and balanced.

M: Low carbonation, medium body, went down well.

O: I can’t really add too much to what has already been said, but the quality of Stone beers brewed in Berlin has held up. This is a classy American IPA.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is just a really great West Coast IPA--pine and grapefruit with malt playing a background role. More hoppy than balanced, but in the best possible way. Solid, delicious.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

The poster-child for west-coast IPAs, and for good reason. Great drinkability, with a mid-level alcohol feel and pure centennial hops at the forefront.

3.92/5  rDev -7.3%

Served on a 4oz flight sampler.

Body is honey-amber colored with the typical distinct IPA lacing.

Aromas of orange, grapefruit, and pleasant cracker malts.

Very strong notes of pine and a pleasant under layer of onion. What surprises me here and what brings a welcome appearance is a nice malt backbone to balance things out.

A crisp carbonation follows through on the feel and provides perfect stability for the flavors.

Overall, Stone IPA was better than anticipated. I was expecting an onion bomb but pleasantly surprised here. Will have again.

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a barely hazy pale orange with a medium well sustained head. The offers up caramel, orange peel, grapefruit peel, lemon peel, and a huge dose of dank herbal and piney notes. The flavor starts with some quick citrus, followed by a much larger wallop of dank herbal notes and a lot of dark pine, and finishing in a mellow but bitter caramel flavor. The mouthfeel is full but refreshingly fizzy. Overall this is an awesome beer. While caramel-pine west coast IPAs are not my favorite, it is impossible to ignore how well this beer is done. The caramel tones are present but not overwhelming, and there is a great dose of bitterness to compliment. Really a standout in the corner of the IPA world.

This one pours a hazy amber orange color with a soapy bone colored head.

The smell is an IPA smell of pine and floral with some mustiness.

The taste was a piney somewhat bitter taste with some light malt backbone.

The mouth feel is actually nice and light, easy drinking with a crisp finish.

I really liked this IPA offering from Stone. High points for me were in the taste and mouth feel. This beer is tasty and easy drinking giving some good happy points. The downside to this one is the price point. And I know that may be knit picking but I can easily find some good tasty IPA's for quite a bit less. And that just hurts a bit because if the price were a bit lower I could see this one in my shopping cart more often.

This is the worst beer I have ever had. It nearly made me throw up because it just tasted like shit. Not smooth, just awful. Stay away! Not good tasting at all. Not smooth, doesn't smell good either. The taste is dreaful.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This was my first IPA ever consumed, had it for the first time about 12 or 13 years ago.
I grew up in SD not too far from classic iconic breweries such as pizza port, port, lost abbey and of course STONE. Here is my first time reviewing the beer:

Appearance. Yellowish Orange, Gold hues and not exactly amber. Decent little white head. Small bubbles shooting towards the surface.

Aroma: get a little pine, a little grapefruit, bready malt characteristics with an evident caramel sweetness

Taste: its crazy how after years of acclimating the palate with hundreds and hundreds of IPA's this particular beer is not super bitter, super hoppy or super aggressive at all, the way I used to perceive it back in the day. It tastes very balanced. The Hops, the yeast, the Malts all come together in a highly drinkable brew but its not super impressive the way I used to think it was. It's a solid go to but doesn't have much depth or any distinct highlights worth discussing. It is lemony and citrusy of course and a dry decent finish.

Mouthfeel: it's pretty light, its got that standard carbonation. Holds itself together nicely but yea about a light medium feel.

Overall: I respect this beer. It's a pioneer and a game changer. This bitter grassy piney bomb changed the way I started drinking, purchasing and talking about beer. Cheers mofos.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

04/20/2013
Hops, slight Ginger. yellow color, nice white bubbly head.Very Crisp and smooth flavor, alcohol is present but not offensive..Smooth. Finally an IPA I can get into. Excellent Beer.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this beer many times, but I most recently was fortunate even to visit San Diego, and I sampled this tasty beer in a tulip glass while at the San Diego Airport (Stone Brewing in Terminal 2).
Appearance: Golden/orange in color. About 1.5 fingers of white foamy head
Smell:Plenty of hops aroma with a mix of citrus.
Taste: Complex mixture of balanced bitterness and sweetness. Goes down pretty easily with only a mildly bitter aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Smooth and full-bodied with a moderate level of carbonation.
Overall: Along with Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA, this is the gold standard of IPAs that I compare all other IPAs to. Great beer overall.

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Another one from the last mix six, bottled on 01/23/16. Chilled to 39 degrees, allowed to sit for 5 minutes at room temp, poured into a large, stemmed wineglass.

Look: Slightly hazy straw gold color with a 3/4" foamy white head that held up well, eventually reducing to a 1/8" foam ring that lasted to the end due to a light but constant carbonation. Strong lacing throughout.

Smell: Sweet floral, pine and citrus hops with a damp earth undertone. Pleasant maltiness

Taste: Flavors of grass and pine resins, solid malt back end but hops dominate.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body, slightly oily and smooth

Overall: Kick ass IPA, reinforces my love of Stone Brewing Co. This one hits on all cylinders, I could drink this like a session beer but with. 6.9% ABV I would (gladly) pay for it later.

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours gold with a medium head and quite a bit of lacing. Nose is classic pine and citrus. Flavor follows...really a classic west-coast IPA. Just drinking this beer brings back memories of when Stone was cutting edge hoppy. Good stuff.

4.02/5  rDev -5%

On tap at Yardhouse in a pint glass L: clear straw color with a thin soapy head and a fair amount of lacing A: west coast piney hop resin T: piney and bitter M: crisp and carbonated with a dry finish O: good west coast IPA. great draft beer.

4.64/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Served in a shaker, it pours a golden orange color, with an outstanding clarity and a medium size foamy head with decent retention and good lacing.

The bouquet is citric, piney, floral and herbal, and it gives a slight hint of diacetyl after an energetic swirl.

Upfront you get to enjoy the carbonation and a perfect mixture of the malty sweetness, citric, herbal floral and piney flavors and the abundant bitterness. Starts off balanced, but the bitterness begins to kick when it heads to the finish, which is long. The hoppy flavors are very assertive all throughout this beer, which is scrumptious. You do get a little bit of the alcohol.
Medium body, smooth and silky.

Excellent beer.

3.63/5  rDev -14.2%

Solid. Given the expansion of the style since its debut, I'll even say it's downright ordinary by now. But that doesn't make it bad. Pours light, crisp, clear, and golden. Tame nose with the requisite pine and lemon notes. Bitterness hits you in the back after a clean, smooth, and refreshing front end. I can't complain, yet I'm not quite ready to celebrate.

3.12/5  rDev -26.2%

I'm typically a dark beer guy: porters, stouts, etc...but I've been delving into weissbeer and IPA's lately. Stone IPA is well crafted. However, it is very floral and extremely dry. Not my cup of tea, but seems to accomplish its mission based on the many positive reviews. Prefer Terrapin Hi-Five to Stone IPA

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer opened up my palate to Stone and is the biggest reason why Stone is in my top 5 favorite breweries
Look: Dark and gold. The head did not dissipate at all. Lacing was amazing.
Smell: It was a few weeks past the best by date and it still had fresh, fresh hoppy goodness to it. Piney, citrusy, floral
taste: Stone likes to boast about hops, but this is balanced well with malts. Nice pale malts match the bitter hops
Mouthfeel: smooth, pleasant, well carbonated.
Overall: Great IPA. Got me in to Stone and I've been trying have my home IPAs match this. Amazing

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A bit bitter, but I believe this is the best I've had by Stone yet. They seem to be a little hit and miss, but when they hit, they HIT. bottled 12/14/15. The only word that comes to mind is DAMN. I will have to come back to this and leave a better review another time.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

LOOKS: A bright golden yellow in the sun. Plenty of small bubbles rising. Leaves a 2 inch off white, creamy head that is there all the way to the end, nice lacing down the glass.
AROMA: Orange/tangerine, grapefruit rind, slightly astringent (Simcoe, anyone?), white bread crust.
TASTE: Decent bitterness from start to finish. Grapefruit pith. This is a 3 month old bottle, (freshest on the shelf), and the flavors are a little muted, the aroma is better, weird.
FEEL: Smooth and creamy, not as carbonated as I would have thought from looking at it. A little slick at first and then dries up nicely on the finish.
OVERALL: My first Stone product. Would love to try it again a little fresher. The flavor was basically bitter muted grapefruit. The aroma was pretty nice, weird because I've always heard the hop aroma goes away first. I'll try another when I can, this is not yet available where I live.
EDIT: Grabbed a six pack from a different location. The website says 'enjoy by date' on the shoulder of the bottle? My ASS!!! There is a code of some kind on the bottom of the bottle printed in black that you can only see when the bottle is empty. That said, the beer was good. Nice big orange aroma, and tasted much fresher than my original review beer. Not muted anymore. Get your bottling dates worked out Stone!!

3.99/5  rDev -5.7%

Golden pale color with a thick head. Smells great, however, floral, fruity, piney hoppiness is not what shines through to me. It's plenty bitter, but strangely I wouldn't call it hoppy. If it weren't from a brewery that also brews a "pale ale", I would categorize this as a bitter APA. It is good, but I wouldn't call it a great IPA, not by my taste.

So I got this at a gas station and totally thought I was getting ripped off at first but went with it anyway to take a chance on this beer (i had already paid and they weren't going to give me money back). Anyway I checked it out on here and saw there was some pretty good hype about it so I got pretty excited. Spoiler alert; the hype is real. Considering the style of beer this is it is pretty much as close to perfect as everyone makes it out to be.

I poured hard from bottle into the trusty weapon that is my pint glass and poured one of the most gorgeous beers to ever sit in front of me. Frothy, white-ish head. The color was an ambiguously solid gold. The beer stands and looks clear but hazy in a way that you feel it could also nearly be opaque. I held it up to light and saw yeast particles nearly microscopic in size that helped give the beer its perfectly clear/solid complexion.

The smell is perfect. Strong and hoppy. Somewhat fruity but not in a "fruity beer" way.

The taste is full. And when I say full I mean FULL. It's bittersweet. it starts with a flip flopping of bitter and sweet hop notes. Very strong hop character. Then you also get a touch of the fruit similar to the nose with a very yeasty finish. An interesting thing I noticed, and quite enjoy, is that if you take a minute between gulps, a lingering aftertaste of pineapple subtly resides on the pallets as the hop bitterness settles. I also would like to note that one of the Alström brothers said to burp after taking a gulp. I tried this and it was pretty awesome, really helps to kickstart the pineapple lingering effect.

Mouthfeel is thick and wholesome. The beer is about as heavy as you will assume it to be in both mouthfeel and alcohol content. 3 of these honestly kind of does the job for me.

I have never been sure about when or not I am having a (almost) perfect beer, but I was sure this time. It was way good. Perfect for any hop head and anyone who likes to get the funny feels off a few deliscious brews. I am savoring the last few sips of my last unit out of the sixer and can say I will definitely be getting this again.

1/25/16 (draft REVISITED, Legends Sports Bar, Long Beach) Finally rating this beer after several years of drinking it and never has it tasted more like something other than an IPA than this time around. The first sip had a lager quality to it. I hope this is just a freak batch.

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

L - pours dark/burnt orange. 1 finger thick head slight off white that leaves a very nice, generous lacing that sticks all beer through

S - hop heavy, citrus and pine just like a good IPA

T - great beer, citrus (notably grapefruit) dominates with a heavy pine presence. Very hoppy beer

F - medium heavy body, smooth, good mouthfeel really coats the mouth and sticks around

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing