Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale aleā€”and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

#944
Liked:
4.21/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 11,053 |  Reviews: 3,040

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

I drank this straight from the bottle but from my observation it looks amber-golden with a little bit of head.

The smell is fresh and hoppy. The hops bite through my nose even!

This beer is deliciously complex. It starts off with a good blast of hops, then mellows into a still hoppy, yet smooth, crisp flavor with an extremely clean finish. It's a little resiny, as some IPAs are, but it's not overwhelming. Overall, a crisp, clean balanced taste.

The mouthfeel is smooth and palatable. Not too heavy.

I'm not a big IPA girl (working on in though), but this one really impressed me. I don't like when the hops overwhelm the flavor and never balance out, but this beer does that. The complexity and smooth, clean finish really made it enjoyable.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

[Poured into generic tulip glass]

I: I am no stranger to Stone's ipa, but I give my official review today. I wasn't planning on this review, but I had a taste for it when I went by the store, and saw a six pack(my inner hop head crying out).

B: [6.9%(basically 7) ABV, 12 FL. OZ. Bottled. cant make out the date] As you expect, this has stones classic logo, summary, and ingredients("Nothing but Barley, Hops, Water & Yeast"). Nice overall, but not as grabbing as their newer iterations.

A: Orange transparent body with a fully/slight scatter head (moderate dissipation), and decent lacing.

S: Typical smell of a standard west coast ipa. Sweet citrus(grapefruit/lemon) malt and spicy hops.

T: Taste like many west coast ipas, but does stand out with slick citrus malt really coats/runs down your lower tongue. Lingering spicy hops complements the malt.

M: Slick/slight dry/crisp finish, medium bodied, medium carbonation(that feels perfect btw), and a decent presence of alcohol.

O: Stones ipa is between a sweet ipa like alesmith and racer five and a more bold like wipe out. I think this is a damn fine beer, with a great malt backbone. With all of that said... Stones ipa doesn't shatter the earth, but that's not the point. It's an ipa and very good one at that. So yes, I defiantly recommend you pick some up.

3.97/5  rDev -5.7%

A slightly hazy golden brew, an off-white head leaving almost no lacing and small curtains

Smelling of pine resin, honey and grape-fruits.

Tasting toffee, pale bread, and then very quickly bitter oranges and grape-fruit peel.

Little carbonation, soft and a bit oily, a good body and dry finish.

This is a straight and honest AIPA, no fuzz.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing